-->
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 10, 2018, 11:43:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News: Bellagio 10452
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  The Smiley Smile Message Board
|-+  Non Smiley Smile Stuff
| |-+  The Sandbox
| | |-+  What are you watching now?/Favourite Movie of the Moment
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 46 47 48 [49]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: What are you watching now?/Favourite Movie of the Moment  (Read 96066 times)
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna join?

View Profile
« Reply #1200 on: November 01, 2018, 06:29:19 PM »

Next movie seen - the new remake "Murder On The Orient Express". It's funny to see Johnnie Depp playing short time role. But ultimately, it's good as I can't stand him. Michelle Pfeiffer is really good at comedic characters, she should get into this thing frequently. This is rather humor-tinged version of this story. The serious is 2000s film with David Suchet in which at the end he himself decided to change the novel's ending where Poirot decides to hide the truth he discovered, defend the murderers. David made his hero to be in the law's side & religion (don't kill, if you kill, be punished) & he addressed the murderers strictly, severely. Here, Kenneth Branagh went with Christie's ending & perhaps the Sidney Lumet 1974 version ending. That said, bottom line is mixed review as despite it being well-done, I didn't like few character changes. It seemed lame. & the dialogs at times didn't help to see who's who. 2/5.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Boy dislikes girl. The girl dislikes that boy. People dislike the boy AND girl. Question - WHO dislikes these people?

Pom pom generation thinks The Baby boomers can't hopscotch into admitting that they're ANYthing BUT cool & the boom they represent is archaic thing by now.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1201 on: November 05, 2018, 06:51:06 AM »

Jeez, smb.'s got really touchy. Roll Eyes Welp. If KDS took offense at that harmless question/ bit/ observation/ interrogation/ whatever, it's not my problem. Doesn't want to answer? Don't. *facepalm*
Next film seen - "Suspicion", 1941 directed by Hitch. Expected to see supreme acting by Joan Fontaine in it - it's single role Hitch's actor took Oscar for! - aaaaand...it fell flat. Unbelievable, she played basically the same shy girl year prior in "Rebecca" but MUCH better fleshed out & she gets Oscar just now, for such teeny weeny dull acting/ dull scripted character? Who sat in jury that year? She's got really good rivals yet SHE did win. Wow. Boring film, Cary Grant wasted his time, talent there as well. 1/5 to the music.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Boy dislikes girl. The girl dislikes that boy. People dislike the boy AND girl. Question - WHO dislikes these people?

Pom pom generation thinks The Baby boomers can't hopscotch into admitting that they're ANYthing BUT cool & the boom they represent is archaic thing by now.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1202 on: November 10, 2018, 04:15:09 AM »

"What Ever Happened To Baby Jane" with Joan Crawford, Bette Davis. Such bad song "I've Written A Letter To Daddy". & this is actually sth. the audience went crazy about? Really? Even if it's 1917, sure people back then weren't fools & could tell bad song & good? It's interesting in 1935 time in the film they showed real films starring Davis & Crawford, films within films, albeit short bits in the theatre & TV screens respectively. Speaking of, Bette was pretty when young & in "All About Eve", prettier than Anne Baxter/ Eve Harrington that's for sure. As to Joan Crawford, she's real stunner, even at this point in her career, in the 60s. Maybe it's just make-up but I doubt. I'm impressed by her beauty. & she's beautiful voice, very ladylike, elegant. Anyhoo, these 2 actresses really fit playing together, just like Shelley Duvall & Cissy Spacek in "3 Women". There's not many times when main cast fit being together in the same film. Davis & Crawford did, splendidly. Supporting cast is nice. Plotwise it's cool, I really like films about seclusion, big freakish gothic house, black & white, about psychotic people. These would be main favorite tags. The end is interesting if kinda gloomy. 3.5/5.

"Nun's Story" with Audrey Hepburn. Despite what some doctor told her & her father doubting, I really believed the mothers & sisters in church when they told main girl she'll be great nun, she's natural, it's her fate etc. She looked like she would imo, during film, but in the end she surprisingly gives up & goes out to street leaving the church uniform & lifestyle behind. I took to mean she likes to simply be nurse, not simultaneously it & nun. It's good if bit too lengthy movie. Audrey's brilliant in it but she's better at funny films. 3/5. Favorite film about nuns/ church/ similar subject matter still remains "La Religieuse" with Anna Karina.

"Let's Scare Jessica To Death" with Zohra Lampert (she played short role in "Opening Night" 6 yrs later). I'd just like 1st to say that music is fantabulous. It's typical as in it's horror film music when you hear. Yet, it didn't resort to banalities. To me at least; I'd seen many in which music is samey, same fright sound fx. Not here. It's varied, uses many instruments, percussion, piano-driven, it isn't variations of the same theme - it's different bits. Interestingly, film begins-ends with the same scene. I.e. film bookended by it. I really like Zohra's narration style, it's like it's philosophical, slow & kinda drowsy. & ofc really like her low cracked voice. Plus smile. Should say this is really good vintage house they used in film. Vintage antique things she found in the attic really cool. Pity they had to sell them. Its duration is average "hour & half" but seems longer. Sometimes it's good thing in horrors. I dislike about vampires but here it's very subtly shown. Which makes it unique. The main character sees things & hears & funny thing is the girl in white running doesn't turn out to be ghost - the others seen her as well, which is anything except predictable. Still, she (main character) behaved as schizophrenic & at times I did think some images/ voices was her imagination. Bottom line: cool film. 4.5/5.

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1203 on: November 14, 2018, 12:47:17 PM »

Rereading my movie reviews - they're marvellous. I'm smart. Speaking of "Baby Jane", I'd just seen 90s remake with Redgrave sisters Lynn & Vanessa. It's nice, set to its times rather than being book/ 60s film cc. I'm impressed by Lynn's acting, albeit her OTT (monolithic's TM) make-up made me laugh. It's not funny looking at Bette Davis' make-up & little girl baby Jane hairstyle but Lynn's is hilarious. Even so, she, to me, is creepier than Davis' characterization. The way she stares with blank doll eyes full screen it's like she's on to Blanche, reads what plan the latter starts thinking in panic regarding what to say. & that half-smiling with eyes, half-smiling with mouth gives edge. & she did what sounds like American accent really well. Vanessa's Blanche is too plain, Joan Crawford's is better expressed. To add to it, Vanessa's got terrible British accent. There's many terrible British accents but think this is the worst. & her voice is just not my bag as far as female voices go. I pay attn to such details. Looking at pics with normal-looking, clown make-up free Lynn, she's very pretty, prettier than Vanessa who looks like plain Jane. Anyhoo, isn't bad remake. TV remakes usually superior to the theatrical movie remakes of the past films.

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1204 on: November 17, 2018, 05:28:45 PM »

Finally seen "Nicholas & Alexandra", RM-adapted 1971 film. To save time, will be short - Epic Fail. 0/5. 'kay, 0.5/5 to few settings.

Buckethead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1205 on: November 19, 2018, 04:19:23 PM »

RRA1 - I never knew that the Redgrave sisters did a remake of Baby Jane. Loved the original so much that I'll have to pass.  But I LOVED Lynn
in Georgy Girl.. And the song by the Seekers always gives a me rush!
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1206 on: December 02, 2018, 05:19:05 PM »

"Dial M For Murder" (1954) - next dull suspense by Hitch since "Suspicion" (1941). Its running time could be shorter, i.e. investigation: the police chef could deduce the real guilty swifter by paying attention to husband calling wife funnily right in time when smb. tried to strangle her. Despite this disadvantage, the cast is fine, at least nobody's miscast. Grace Kelly plays vulnerable victim well, ditto Ray Milland secretly envious but well-mannered good-natured husband & Anthony Dawson the guy hired to kill her. 1.5/5.

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1207 on: December 05, 2018, 05:32:56 AM »

Soviet Union short "Blue & Green" (1970) - like the harpsichord music, nice settings but, if it's been feature film, it'd be dullfest. 2/5.

Pages: 1 ... 44 45 46 47 48 [49]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: