-->
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:09:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News: peteramescarlin.com
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  The Smiley Smile Message Board
|-+  Non Smiley Smile Stuff
| |-+  The Sandbox
| | |-+  What are you watching now?/Favourite Movie of the Moment
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 44 45 46 [47] 48 49 50 51 52 ... 56   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: What are you watching now?/Favourite Movie of the Moment  (Read 443158 times)
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #1150 on: September 27, 2018, 06:40:37 AM »

I think it's good to not be Nirvana & Whinehouse fan. It's really better that way. I'm glad you too dislike them. 3D

To revisit popular yet slightly updated question raised long time ago - did you read any negative film reviews in which things people hated about films were things you actually liked? List top 3 underrated films with too many backlash.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
KDS
« Reply #1151 on: September 27, 2018, 07:13:22 AM »

I think it's good to not be Nirvana & Whinehouse fan. It's really better that way. I'm glad you too dislike them. 3D

To revisit popular yet slightly updated question raised long time ago - did you read any negative film reviews in which things people hated about films were things you actually liked? List top 3 underrated films with too many backlash.

Grown Ups - These movies are generally thought of as the nadir of Adam Sandler's career (who most critics hate), but I found them highly enjoyable

Wild Hogs - I really think if a movie like this come out in the 1980s or early 1990s, it wouldn't been better received.   I don't think comedy without vulgarity is very popular these days

Jingle All the Way - Every year, I see this movie near the top of Worst Christmas Movies ever polls, but to me, it's a fun slapstick comedy.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1152 on: September 27, 2018, 07:24:28 AM »

Jingle All the Way - Every year, I see this movie near the top of Worst Christmas Movies ever polls, but to me, it's a fun slapstick comedy.
Tell me - why people don't like it? What do they say?

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
KDS
« Reply #1153 on: September 27, 2018, 08:03:31 AM »

Tell me - why people don't like it? What do they say?

One of the big things I keep seeing is that "it preaches that materialism is the true meaning of Christmas," and I think that's a very cynical way to rate a silly comedy.   And, at the end, that wasn't even the point anyway. 

But, I also think that fun, clean, slapstick comedy fell out of fashion at some point in the mid 90s, and audiences want their humor to get edgy now.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1154 on: September 27, 2018, 03:13:09 PM »

Silly comedy by definition can't preach anything. But, there's some truth in that Christmas, generally speaking, is about materialism.

You see "Kokomo" fans say it's "the song people like to hate". Is there films you can file under it, besides Adam Sandler flicks you mentioned?

KDS
« Reply #1155 on: September 28, 2018, 05:24:32 AM »

Silly comedy by definition can't preach anything. But, there's some truth in that Christmas, generally speaking, is about materialism.

You see "Kokomo" fans say it's "the song people like to hate". Is there films you can file under it, besides Adam Sandler flicks you mentioned?

Sure, I'm not going to pretend that materialism isn't big part of Christmas, but while that formed the basic plot of Jingle All the Way, that wasn't the point of the movie. 

Movies people love to hate.  Besides Adam Sandler, Michael Bay is a popular target.   And, in recent years, I've seen a lot of backlash against Forrest Gump, a movie that I personally love.   I think a lot of the "too cool for school crowd" seems up in arms that it beat out Pulp Fiction (which I think is highly overrated) for the Best Picture Oscar
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1156 on: September 28, 2018, 02:56:19 PM »

but while that formed the basic plot of Jingle All the Way, that wasn't the point of the movie.
& I didn't say it was. I didn't see the film to say what was its point.

I didn't like "Forrest Gump". Didn't *try* to like it either. Maybe it paints me hipster, Idk. Tongue

Before, we discussed SNL favorite cast. Is there anybody in SNL history underrated & overrated to you?

KDS
« Reply #1157 on: October 01, 2018, 05:20:38 AM »

but while that formed the basic plot of Jingle All the Way, that wasn't the point of the movie.
& I didn't say it was. I didn't see the film to say what was its point.

I didn't like "Forrest Gump". Didn't *try* to like it either. Maybe it paints me hipster, Idk. Tongue

Before, we discussed SNL favorite cast. Is there anybody in SNL history underrated & overrated to you?

Underrated SNL players - Kevin Nealon and Tim Meadows - These guys were from my favorite era (late 80s to early 90s), and while neither became big film stars like many others in that cast, I think both were great.   For my money, Kevin Nealon is my favorite Weekend Update anchor

Overrated - Tina Fey and Jimmy Fallon.   There's a huge list from post 1996 people I could pull, but these two were always used by people who'd tell me that I should really start watching again in the early 2000s.   I find neither of them funny, especially Fallon.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1158 on: October 01, 2018, 06:55:43 AM »

Cool to see Kevin Nealon being mentioned by smb. except me. He's funny. Too bad film career didn't get boost. But, disagree about Jimmy Fallon, he's funny to imo.

Tell me - did Tim Allen join SNL? Do you rmbr? If he did, I'd include him in the list with Nealon.

Who'll be your best choice(s) as quintessential sidekick(s) to lead character?

KDS
« Reply #1159 on: October 01, 2018, 07:29:40 AM »

Cool to see Kevin Nealon being mentioned by smb. except me. He's funny. Too bad film career didn't get boost. But, disagree about Jimmy Fallon, he's funny to imo.

Tell me - did Tim Allen join SNL? Do you rmbr? If he did, I'd include him in the list with Nealon.

Who'll be your best choice(s) as quintessential sidekick(s) to lead character?

Tim Allen was never in the cast of SNL.   He was a stand up in the 80s / early 90s, and got his big break on Home Improvement in 1991.   

Speaking of SNL, I thought David Spade was a great sidekick / straight man to Chris Farley in Tommy Boy and Black Sheep
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1160 on: October 01, 2018, 07:34:28 AM »

You said you like 80s comedy. But, is there exception to the rule, movie designated as comedy you didn't find funny one bit?

KDS
« Reply #1161 on: October 01, 2018, 08:33:29 AM »

You said you like 80s comedy. But, is there exception to the rule, movie designated as comedy you didn't find funny one bit?

The only one that comes to mind is Strange Brew.   It made me chuckle a few times, but I didn't think it was funny enough for it's 90 or so minute run time.   
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1162 on: October 02, 2018, 03:59:09 AM »

Will you willingly agree directors must not play the main character in film? I dislike when smb. directing film as well as writing the script doesn't start casting to seek smb. to play it, instead they do. It isn't fair, it reeks of egocentricity. Tell what you think.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2018, 04:00:15 AM by RangeRoverA1 » Logged

KDS
« Reply #1163 on: October 02, 2018, 06:00:02 AM »

Will you willingly agree directors must not play the main character in film? I dislike when smb. directing film as well as writing the script doesn't start casting to seek smb. to play it, instead they do. It isn't fair, it reeks of egocentricity. Tell what you think.

I have no issue with a director starring in their own movies.   Mel Brooks comes to mind as a great example.   Christopher Guest regularly appears in his mockumentaries.   Kevin Smith plays Silent Bob is all of the View Askew comedies.   
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1164 on: October 02, 2018, 06:16:23 AM »

Good thing we disagree civilly. There's many times when music score in film wins the Oscar. But, is there songs by popular musicians, not composers, who got the Academy prize when their song played in film/ maybe written specially for it? Can you list few examples? Curious if anybody in pop music field can brag with Oscar in addition to purely music awards.

KDS
« Reply #1165 on: October 02, 2018, 06:35:15 AM »

Good thing we disagree civilly. There's many times when music score in film wins the Oscar. But, is there songs by popular musicians, not composers, who got the Academy prize when their song played in film/ maybe written specially for it? Can you list few examples? Curious if anybody in pop music field can brag with Oscar in addition to purely music awards.

Off the top of my head, I'm pretty sure Phil Collins won an Oscar for a song of his that was used in the Disney movie Tarzan.   
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1166 on: October 02, 2018, 06:43:29 AM »

Ha! Didn't think there'll be time I'll see Phil Collins, Disney & Tarzan in single sentence.

Many can't decide who they like best - Al Pacino or Robert De Niro. Who's best to you going by characters each played?

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1167 on: October 02, 2018, 07:10:09 AM »

Looks like KDS is stumped by Pacino-Niro question. Takes long to answer.
Anyhoo, topic subject - "The Birds". Thing I like about Hitch's films is every single face you see, even "uncredited role" is easy to rmbr. Bright characters, everybody. &, I just now catch that many you see in "The Birds" look like birds. Bird shop lady, ornithologist, lady with 2 kids blaming Melanie in birds attack, the chap who helped Melanie to step down to boat & held the bird cage, few school kids running.

KDS
« Reply #1168 on: October 02, 2018, 07:39:00 AM »

Ha! Didn't think there'll be time I'll see Phil Collins, Disney & Tarzan in single sentence.

Many can't decide who they like best - Al Pacino or Robert De Niro. Who's best to you going by characters each played?

I'm probably a bigger DeNiro fan overall.   
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1169 on: October 02, 2018, 07:43:20 AM »

When asked "who's best to you?", it meant as well to explain the choice. Figured it's obvious. Well, explain the choice.

Edit, general reply directed at this entire thread - I think everybody will safely agree that things, esp. questions asked by me really truly made the thread thrive & made it very interesting. Keep in mind, these various different movie questions brought many cool discussions by posters - you see, the questions *began* cool discussions. It all began with questions asked by me. Bottom line: thanks to me! :D 3D I'm proud. 3D
« Last Edit: October 02, 2018, 07:56:19 AM by RangeRoverA1 » Logged

KDS
« Reply #1170 on: October 02, 2018, 08:02:51 AM »

When asked "who's best to you?", it meant as well to explain the choice. Figured it's obvious. Well, explain the choice.

Edit, general reply directed at this entire thread - I think everybody will safely agree that things, esp. questions asked by me really truly made the thread thrive & made it very interesting. Keep in mind, these various different movie questions brought many cool discussions by posters - you see, the questions *began* cool discussions. It all began with questions asked by me. Bottom line: thanks to me! :D 3D I'm proud. 3D

Stay humble 
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1171 on: October 02, 2018, 08:11:26 AM »

I'm being tongue-in-cheek (see smileys). Bitey humor.

Well? Will you explain choosing Niro?

KDS
« Reply #1172 on: October 02, 2018, 08:55:48 AM »

I'm being tongue-in-cheek (see smileys). Bitey humor.

Well? Will you explain choosing Niro?

As am I. 

Not being a huge fan of mob movies, that takes away a lot of those guys' most iconic roles for me.    But, I feel Deniro can do serious (Taxi Driver, The Fan) and comedic roles (Analyze This/That, Meet the Parents).   
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1173 on: October 02, 2018, 09:15:19 AM »

Okey-doke. Mea culpa.

How about this pair, Sam Neill with Kevin Costner? Again, choose & explain the choice.

KDS
« Reply #1174 on: October 02, 2018, 09:28:52 AM »

Okey-doke. Mea culpa.

How about this pair, Sam Neill with Kevin Costner? Again, choose & explain the choice.

I haven't seen a ton of movies with either, but I'd probably go Costner, because I love both Bull Durham and Field of Dreams.    I liked Neill in the two Jurassic Park movies he was in, but I feel that role could've been played by anybody, but I don't think that about Costner's roles in Bull Durham or Field of Dreams.   
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 44 45 46 [47] 48 49 50 51 52 ... 56   Go Up
Print
Jump to: