-->
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:34:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News: Beach Boys Britain
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  The Smiley Smile Message Board
|-+  Non Smiley Smile Stuff
| |-+  The Sandbox
| | |-+  What are you watching now?/Favourite Movie of the Moment
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 43 44 45 [46] 47 48 49 50 51 ... 56   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: What are you watching now?/Favourite Movie of the Moment  (Read 443326 times)
Gettin Hungry
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1125 on: September 18, 2018, 08:04:57 AM »

I know I was surprised the first time I watched 1975's One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest to see Danny Devito and Christopher Lloyd
Hey, me too! Isn't it fantastic? They played respective characters really well. 3D

Btw, the film credits Michael Douglas as producer. Is there any actor who didn't play in film but produced it (directing doesn't count)?

Nothing overly surprising except that Christopher Lloyd has several TV production credits, must notably Frasier. 

That's a different Christopher Lloyd. Check IMDB: https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0515941/?ref_=ttfc_fc_wr11

Well, color me surprised.   I've been wrong for a quarter century now. 

I was in the same boat. I finally realized it was a different guy when I happened to see that he won an Emmy for Modern Family and saw his picture. Doc Brown isn't quite as talented as I once believed.
KDS
« Reply #1126 on: September 18, 2018, 08:16:10 AM »

I know I was surprised the first time I watched 1975's One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest to see Danny Devito and Christopher Lloyd
Hey, me too! Isn't it fantastic? They played respective characters really well. 3D

Btw, the film credits Michael Douglas as producer. Is there any actor who didn't play in film but produced it (directing doesn't count)?

Nothing overly surprising except that Christopher Lloyd has several TV production credits, must notably Frasier. 

That's a different Christopher Lloyd. Check IMDB: https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0515941/?ref_=ttfc_fc_wr11

Well, color me surprised.   I've been wrong for a quarter century now. 

I was in the same boat. I finally realized it was a different guy when I happened to see that he won an Emmy for Modern Family and saw his picture. Doc Brown isn't quite as talented as I once believed.

Ha.  To be honest, I actually thought that's why he hadn't been doing so much acting over the last 20 plus years.   
NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."

View Profile
« Reply #1127 on: September 18, 2018, 03:18:31 PM »

Is there such thing as good "soap opera"? I see many ridicule it, actors playing in it, its fans, anything to do with it. Is it justified rep? Yes? No? Curious what's the deal, what you can say about it.

I'll use the most.popular soap opera, The Young and the Restless.This one has been on TV over 40 years. There were some interesting storylines in the early years. But the writers have become very lazy. Amnesia is very popular. Blood tests are mixed up. Newborn babies are switched. People go through extensive plastic surgery to change appearsnce. A child is an adult all of a sudden. People get married and divorced insane numbers of times -  someone determined that one of the women characters has been married at least 11 times lol. And last but not least, people come back from the dead...

"No White Flags." - Team Gleason

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon

"The best thing you can be 'like' in music is yourself." Dr. John
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #1128 on: September 23, 2018, 01:54:17 PM »

Back to dialog with KDS - KDS, answer this new question - What's the scariest scene to you in the scariest film you'd seen?

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
KDS
« Reply #1129 on: September 24, 2018, 05:50:25 AM »

Back to dialog with KDS - KDS, answer this new question - What's the scariest scene to you in the scariest film you'd seen?

The first footage of Ghostbusters (2016) scared the #### out of me. 

Kidding. 

You know what scene got me real good?   In the first 20 minutes of the US version of The Ring, there's a scene at the wake of one of the early victims.  During a conversation, they do a quick cut to the body of one of the teenage girls being found, and the look on her face was chilling.   And the fact that it was during a "safe" scene made it that much more unexpected. 
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1130 on: September 24, 2018, 06:05:09 AM »

Seems like you were scared stiff. American "The Ring" is definitely better than Japanese. I find Asian horrors to lack the "it" factor.

Which scene would you describe as the best depiction of patriotism? In which film?

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
KDS
« Reply #1131 on: September 24, 2018, 06:19:27 AM »

Seems like you were scared stiff. American "The Ring" is definitely better than Japanese. I find Asian horrors to lack the "it" factor.

Which scene would you describe as the best depiction of patriotism? In which film?

For The Ring, I did prefer the US remake.   However, I liked the Japenese version of Ju On (The Grudge) better than the US version. 

War movies are great examples.   And while The Patriot isn't exactly historically accurate, it's a really entertaining movie.   I have to say the image of Mel Gibson's character rejoining the militia waving the Colonial flag after just losing his second son (Heath Ledger) at the hands of the British, crying "Hoo Zah!!!" was great. 
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1132 on: September 24, 2018, 06:28:28 AM »

I didn't like any "The Grudge", quite frankly.

There's horror films with funny scenes. Is there any comedy/ drama which frightened you? F.ex. in Imdb boards smb. cited "Home Alone 2" scene in the park where you see the cab driver's mug slowly turning around to Kevin. You got any examples?

KDS
« Reply #1133 on: September 24, 2018, 06:38:16 AM »

I didn't like any "The Grudge", quite frankly.

There's horror films with funny scenes. Is there any comedy/ drama which frightened you? F.ex. in Imdb boards smb. cited "Home Alone 2" scene in the park where you see the cab driver's mug slowly turning around to Kevin. You got any examples?

I can't say that there are any that scared me.   But, I could see a little kid being freaked out by the cabbie in Home Alone 2. 

The scenes in the woods in The Wizard of Oz are pretty creepy.   There's the mad psychadelic river boat scene in Willy Wonka.   The subway scene in Ghostbusters II is pretty creepy.   And, the somewhat forgotten Halloween special Garfield's Halloween Adventure gets pretty intense with the pirate ghosts. 
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1134 on: September 24, 2018, 06:56:10 AM »

Cab driver can be shortened cabbie? Nice. Cheesy

List fave oldest & newest films. To me, it's 1910s silents starring Lillian Gish & "Crooked House" (2017). Honorable mention: Hal Roach's shorts starring funny gal wisecracker Patsy Kelly & glamorous beauty who is subtly funny Thelma Todd. Too bad not many available to see via youtube.

KDS
« Reply #1135 on: September 24, 2018, 07:16:57 AM »

Cab driver can be shortened cabbie? Nice. Cheesy

List fave oldest & newest films. To me, it's 1910s silents starring Lillian Gish & "Crooked House" (2017). Honorable mention: Hal Roach's shorts starring funny gal wisecracker Patsy Kelly & glamorous beauty who is subtly funny Thelma Todd. Too bad not many available to see via youtube.

For feature length films, I'd go to 1931 for Frankenstein and Dracula (not sure which was first). 

for newest, 2017's Lego Batman.   I don't think I've seen a new theatrically released movie since.   
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1136 on: September 24, 2018, 05:37:29 PM »

It's difficult to imagine lego constructor-made anything to be interesting to see.

Fun time question - who would you choose being similar to you by character in "Wizard Of Oz"? Scarecrow, Tinman, Lion, Wizard, Toto?

KDS
« Reply #1137 on: September 25, 2018, 07:07:54 AM »

It's difficult to imagine lego constructor-made anything to be interesting to see.

Fun time question - who would you choose being similar to you by character in "Wizard Of Oz"? Scarecrow, Tinman, Lion, Wizard, Toto?

I thought that too, until I saw The Lego Movie a few years ago.   I was surprised how much I enjoyed it.   

Living in Baltimore, I feel like one of the muchkins, waiting for a savior to drop out of the sky and get rid of the wickedness in this city.   
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1138 on: September 25, 2018, 07:34:29 AM »

Still, who you'd be in the main list?

Is there any film you took wisdom? Film which taught lesson perhaps?

KDS
« Reply #1139 on: September 25, 2018, 07:41:19 AM »

Still, who you'd be in the main list?

Is there any film you took wisdom? Film which taught lesson perhaps?

Eh, can't really say I can think of any movies that I've really taken wisdom from to be honest.   I look to movies more for entertainment rather than for life lessons.   

The main characters in Wizard of Oz?   Right now, I feel like the Scarecrow, because I can't think of one. 
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1140 on: September 25, 2018, 07:47:39 AM »

I shan't say cliched "Well played" if it's OK with you. Tongue

Is there film which you draw parallels with the other, different film?

KDS
« Reply #1141 on: September 25, 2018, 08:13:23 AM »

I shan't say cliched "Well played" if it's OK with you. Tongue

Is there film which you draw parallels with the other, different film?

I think one can draw parallels with Ghostbusters and Men in Black.   Both movies are action comedies that use elements of horror / sci fi.   Both feature a team of protagonists going battle against otherworldly beings who threaten human life as we know.   Both movies had hit songs that shared the movie title and spawned cartoon series adaptations and sequels.   
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1142 on: September 25, 2018, 08:55:21 PM »

"Ghostbusters" song charted in Billboard? I didn't know about its hit status.

Does the interest in seeing movie dwindles if you see usual actors such as Depp, Clooney etc.? Which to say easier do you think there's group of actors who being really famous don't make you forget they play different everyday "John Doe" people?

KDS
« Reply #1143 on: September 26, 2018, 05:20:11 AM »

"Ghostbusters" song charted in Billboard? I didn't know about its hit status.

Does the interest in seeing movie dwindles if you see usual actors such as Depp, Clooney etc.? Which to say easier do you think there's group of actors who being really famous don't make you forget they play different everyday "John Doe" people?

I'm sure sure how high the Ghostbusters song by Ray Parker Jr. got, but it was a pretty big hit when the movie was released, just as Will Smith's MIB theme was in the summer of 1997. 

The idea of famous movie playing "John Doe" people doesn't bother me.   I thought Clooney was great as the fisherman in The Perfect Storm, just to cite an example.   It's pretend, that's what they do.   It's the same reason I don't get all up in arms like some people do about rich guys like Springsteen and Billy Joel singing songs about blue collar life. 
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1144 on: September 26, 2018, 05:51:14 AM »

Wonder if I'm really that bad at phrasing questions. Blimey. What I really meant is does the *very* recognizable face gets in the way of forgetting who it is or you're very easy to see them as plain people, equally if it's smb. like Johnny Depp or smb. less in-your-face recognizable like Clea Duvall? Can you answer now?

KDS
« Reply #1145 on: September 26, 2018, 06:19:09 AM »

Wonder if I'm really that bad at phrasing questions. Blimey. What I really meant is does the *very* recognizable face gets in the way of forgetting who it is or you're very easy to see them as plain people, equally if it's smb. like Johnny Depp or smb. less in-your-face recognizable like Clea Duvall? Can you answer now?

I believe I did answer and provided the example of The Perfect Storm.   
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1146 on: September 26, 2018, 07:02:05 AM »

You said "it's pretend, that's what they do" &  I'm not sure why. Naturally, acting means pretending to be smb. you're not. I know it very well. Then you gave analogy with rich singers singing about working class. It wasn't exactly my question.

I used to be very avid Imdb boards reader when it used to be. Every single day will read what people discuss. Smb. made such comment (not verbatim ofc but very close) "I like Johnny Depp, he's obviously great, is versatile actor but many times than not his popularity doesn't make me appreciate the talent and versatility, he's too recognizable face that you don't forget it's Johnny Depp".

That's the question. You just said Clooney was great as fisherman but didn't exactly say if you still rmbr it's Clooney being great as fisherman or indeed get into the film plot & think it's just some fisherman.

In the interest to keep this movie discussion going, I'll bring next question - if you catch anachronism in movies, does it bug you? Some movies it works, the others it doesn't? Which?

KDS
« Reply #1147 on: September 26, 2018, 07:06:52 AM »

You said "it's pretend, that's what they do" &  I'm not sure why. Naturally, acting means pretending to be smb. you're not. I know it very well. Then you gave analogy with rich singers singing about working class. It wasn't exactly my question.

I used to be very avid Imdb boards reader when it used to be. Every single day will read what people discuss. Smb. made such comment (not verbatim ofc but very close) "I like Johnny Depp, he's obviously great, is versatile actor but many times than not his popularity doesn't make me appreciate the talent and versatility, he's too recognizable face that you don't forget it's Johnny Depp".

That's the question. You just said Clooney was great as fisherman but didn't exactly say if you still rmbr it's Clooney being great as fisherman or indeed get into the film plot & think it's just some fisherman.

In the interest to keep this movie discussion going, I'll bring next question - if you catch anachronism in movies, does it bug you? Some movies it works, the others it doesn't? Which?

OK, obviously my answer got lost in my analogy, but the answer is yes, I get into the plot and forget the actor is so and so, and get into the character. 

If I catch an anachronism in a movie, and it's an accident, it doesn't bother me, but I'm not a fan of when it's intentional.   For American Horror Story Freak Show, the show was set in the early 1950s, but featured characters singing songs by David Bowie, Nirvana, and Amy Whinehouse, and I feel like that took me out of the story a bit. 
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1148 on: September 27, 2018, 01:07:53 AM »

Incidentally, I dislike Nirvana (especially Nirvana), Whinehouse, Bowie.

New question - Which fictional brands, settings, movies-in-movies, books-in-movies you can cite as your big favorite? Mine would be
- Big Kahuna burger in "Pulp Fiction"
- town Derry Stephen King's "It" set in
- hilariously OTT movies "Angels With Filthy Souls" & "Angels With Even Filthier Souls" Kevin watches in "Home Alone" & "Home Alone 2"
- "The Girl Who Stole The Eiffel Tower", film scenario played out in screen within the actual film "Paris When It Sizzles"
- "Misery" book series the female antagonist in King's "Misery" is crazy about.

KDS
« Reply #1149 on: September 27, 2018, 06:09:29 AM »

Incidentally, I dislike Nirvana (especially Nirvana), Whinehouse, Bowie.

New question - Which fictional brands, settings, movies-in-movies, books-in-movies you can cite as your big favorite? Mine would be
- Big Kahuna burger in "Pulp Fiction"
- town Derry Stephen King's "It" set in
- hilariously OTT movies "Angels With Filthy Souls" & "Angels With Even Filthier Souls" Kevin watches in "Home Alone" & "Home Alone 2"
- "The Girl Who Stole The Eiffel Tower", film scenario played out in screen within the actual film "Paris When It Sizzles"
- "Misery" book series the female antagonist in King's "Misery" is crazy about.

I'm not a fan of Nirvana or Whinehouse either (I like some Bowie), and I would've thought a show set in the 50s wouldn't include any of their music. 

For fictional stuff, I'd go Stay Puft Marshmallows (Ghostbusters), Schnitzengiggle beer (Beerfest), and the Seinfeld reunion episode that was the story arch of a Curb Your Enthusiasm season.   
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 43 44 45 [46] 47 48 49 50 51 ... 56   Go Up
Print
Jump to: