-->
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:03:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News: Bellagio 10452
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  The Smiley Smile Message Board
|-+  Non Smiley Smile Stuff
| |-+  The Sandbox
| | |-+  What are you watching now?/Favourite Movie of the Moment
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 42 43 44 [45] 46 47 48 49 50 ... 56   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: What are you watching now?/Favourite Movie of the Moment  (Read 443330 times)
KDS
« Reply #1100 on: September 13, 2018, 06:03:15 AM »

Few yrs back you said L&M's "ta-ta-ta-ta-ta"/ML vs. GV scene made you laugh. As you know, it isn't comedy, it's biopic. Question - is there serious films in which you didn't expect funny yet there's random scenes which made you laugh/ you fell of chair/ spill the drink/ it leaves you in stitches/ etc.?

Not exactly fall off my chair laughing, but yeah, I like a humorous moment in serious movies:

Red Dragon - In his cell, as a bargain to cooperate with catching the Red Dragon killer, the asylum gives Hannibal a high end meal and wine.   He toasts to the camera, and the warden watches in disgust, and storms off in anger.   

Jaws - The scar comparing scene is pretty funny up until Quint tells his Indianapolis story.   
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #1101 on: September 13, 2018, 03:41:14 PM »

It leads to question - Is there any serious type actor who didn't play but could be really good in funny films? I'd say the veteran actor Max Von Sydow.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
KDS
« Reply #1102 on: September 14, 2018, 05:27:41 AM »

It leads to question - Is there any serious type actor who didn't play but could be really good in funny films? I'd say the veteran actor Max Von Sydow.

Max Von Sydow did provide the voice of Vigo in Ghostbusters II, but I think that's his lone comedy. 

He's had a couple cameos in comedies, but I think Liam Neeson could be funny in a full on role.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1103 on: September 14, 2018, 06:00:57 AM »

Whose acting style/ gimmics you didn't get? Anybody difficult to follow?

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
KDS
« Reply #1104 on: September 14, 2018, 06:19:08 AM »

Whose acting style/ gimmics you didn't get? Anybody difficult to follow?

to be honest, I think Edward Norton is highly overrated.   I've seen several of his movies, and I feel like he plays a similar catcher in each, whether he's a detective or a white supremist
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1105 on: September 14, 2018, 06:36:31 AM »

EN is pain in the neck, yep. But, didn't get the bit about "catcher". Is it movie slang? Can you explain?

Last week the questions were asked about actors born in Baltimore & filming locations in Baltimore. Today seen "Rosemary's Baby" in which Rosemary told the old guy she's from Omaha & Guy - Baltimore (the movie's set in New York City/ mention in passing of California). Can you rmbr any character telling being from Baltimore?

KDS
« Reply #1106 on: September 14, 2018, 06:50:55 AM »

EN is pain in the neck, yep. But, didn't get the bit about "catcher". Is it movie slang? Can you explain?

Last week the questions were asked about actors born in Baltimore & filming locations in Baltimore. Today seen "Rosemary's Baby" in which Rosemary told the old guy she's from Omaha & Guy - Baltimore (the movie's set in New York City/ mention in passing of California). Can you rmbr any character telling being from Baltimore?

That was a typo, I meant to type character, not catcher

I remember the character that James Earl Jones plays in Field of Dreams mentions that he's originally from Baltimore.   
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1107 on: September 14, 2018, 07:01:44 AM »

Well, should've guessed.

About "Rosemary's Baby" again - Charles Grodin plays shortly doctor. Mainly he's popular with viewers as comedian & for "Beethoven" dog movies. Many may not suspect he played in "Rosemary's Baby". Anybody else you can add who's mainly identified by popular characters they played than when they began? Any surprise movie examples that many don't suspect she/ he played?

KDS
« Reply #1108 on: September 14, 2018, 07:10:57 AM »

Well, should've guessed.

About "Rosemary's Baby" again - Charles Grodin plays shortly doctor. Mainly he's popular with viewers as comedian & for "Beethoven" dog movies. Many may not suspect he played in "Rosemary's Baby". Anybody else you can add who's mainly identified by popular characters they played than when they began? Any surprise movie examples that many don't suspect she/ he played?

I know I was surprised the first time I watched 1975's One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest to see Danny Devito and Christopher Lloyd in early roles before they each became primarily comedic actors. 

There's also a late 70s horror movie called The Sentinel that features young Jeff Goldblum and Beverly D'Angelo. 
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1109 on: September 14, 2018, 07:22:43 AM »

I know I was surprised the first time I watched 1975's One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest to see Danny Devito and Christopher Lloyd
Hey, me too! Isn't it fantastic? They played respective characters really well. 3D

Btw, the film credits Michael Douglas as producer. Is there any actor who didn't play in film but produced it (directing doesn't count)?

KDS
« Reply #1110 on: September 14, 2018, 07:30:11 AM »

I know I was surprised the first time I watched 1975's One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest to see Danny Devito and Christopher Lloyd
Hey, me too! Isn't it fantastic? They played respective characters really well. 3D

Btw, the film credits Michael Douglas as producer. Is there any actor who didn't play in film but produced it (directing doesn't count)?

Nothing overly surprising except that Christopher Lloyd has several TV production credits, must notably Frasier. 
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1111 on: September 14, 2018, 07:56:20 AM »

Really? Cool. 3D Which movie sequence + song you will describe "powerful"?

KDS
« Reply #1112 on: September 14, 2018, 08:05:47 AM »

Really? Cool. 3D Which movie sequence + song you will describe "powerful"?

I think the ending of The Devil's Rejects with the three anti heroes taking their final stand while Free Bird plays is pretty powerful
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1113 on: September 15, 2018, 05:55:09 AM »

Who should take the cake if we talk about best episodic roles? Edit: checked poster Ovi's short movie in thread Short Movie. It's dull beyond. Sure like avant-garde but, this is too far-out. Besides, it's very difficult to see highly personal film - & like it to boot - without relating to it (thankfully). Welp, good thing it's short. Now, if such poster made film about "At My Window", what the song tells, with few cool tweaks &/or continuation of the lyrics' narrator's adventures - consider me interested. 3D
« Last Edit: September 15, 2018, 10:09:58 PM by RangeRoverA1 » Logged

KDS
« Reply #1114 on: September 17, 2018, 08:40:22 AM »

Who should take the cake if we talk about best episodic roles? Edit: checked poster Ovi's short movie in thread Short Movie. It's dull beyond. Sure like avant-garde but, this is too far-out. Besides, it's very difficult to see highly personal film - & like it to boot - without relating to it (thankfully). Welp, good thing it's short. Now, if such poster made film about "At My Window", what the song tells, with few cool tweaks &/or continuation of the lyrics' narrator's adventures - consider me interested. 3D

by episodic, do you mean television?
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1115 on: September 17, 2018, 08:53:37 AM »

I mean the roles which, despite being episodic, insignificant in film in general, did shine & made you rmbr these roles/ characters.

KDS
« Reply #1116 on: September 17, 2018, 09:05:28 AM »

I mean the roles which, despite being episodic, insignificant in film in general, did shine & made you rmbr these roles/ characters.

Robert Wuhl often played characters like that.   His roles weren't always huge, but added to the quality of the movie in movies like Bull Durham, Good Morning Vietnam, and Batman.   
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1117 on: September 17, 2018, 09:13:38 AM »

Since you mentioned TV, what can you say to it? Any episodic roles/ short-lived characters you liked the same as the lead characters? List 3 best episodic roles.

KDS
« Reply #1118 on: September 17, 2018, 09:19:32 AM »

Since you mentioned TV, what can you say to it? Any episodic roles/ short-lived characters you liked the same as the lead characters? List 3 best episodic roles.

The Office (US) had an exceptional ensemble cast with such characters.    The one that springs to mind is Creed, played by Creed Bratton.   His role was pretty small, but there was never a wasted second of screen time with him.   

There's Moe in The Simpsons also.   He's one of many many characters who aren't in the main cast, but play a huge part in the success of the show. 

Finally, I'd say Newman in Seinfeld. 
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1119 on: September 17, 2018, 09:34:34 AM »

I didn't see any American shows but if/ when I do, I'll make sure to pay attention to these 3 people.

Do you get bored by long films? F.ex. "Titanic" is long yet people like it. Likewise, if you see shorter than usually film, do you wish it didn't end fast?

KDS
« Reply #1120 on: September 17, 2018, 10:15:05 AM »

I didn't see any American shows but if/ when I do, I'll make sure to pay attention to these 3 people.

Do you get bored by long films? F.ex. "Titanic" is long yet people like it. Likewise, if you see shorter than usually film, do you wish it didn't end fast?

In general, I prefer movies that are two hours or less.   That's mostly because I have a hard time finding time to devote to movies, so a shorter run time is ideal.   For horrors and comedies, I think 85-100 minutes is good.   One of my favorite recent horror movies is Trick R Treat, which I'm able to find time to watch each October because it's under 90 minutes.   
Gettin Hungry
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1121 on: September 17, 2018, 01:10:31 PM »

Nothing overly surprising except that Christopher Lloyd has several TV production credits, must notably Frasier. 

That's a different Christopher Lloyd. Check IMDB: https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0515941/?ref_=ttfc_fc_wr11
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1122 on: September 17, 2018, 05:40:47 PM »

Ha, false alarm.

2KDS: Is there such thing as good "soap opera"? I see many ridicule it, actors playing in it, its fans, anything to do with it. Is it justified rep? Yes? No? Curious what's the deal, what you can say about it.

KDS
« Reply #1123 on: September 18, 2018, 05:20:22 AM »

That's a different Christopher Lloyd. Check IMDB: https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0515941/?ref_=ttfc_fc_wr11

Well, color me surprised.   I've been wrong for a quarter century now. 
KDS
« Reply #1124 on: September 18, 2018, 05:21:06 AM »

Ha, false alarm.

2KDS: Is there such thing as good "soap opera"? I see many ridicule it, actors playing in it, its fans, anything to do with it. Is it justified rep? Yes? No? Curious what's the deal, what you can say about it.

It's not my cup of tea to be honest, so I really can't judge if it's "good" or "bad."   
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 42 43 44 [45] 46 47 48 49 50 ... 56   Go Up
Print
Jump to: