-->
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:27:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News: Bellagio 10452
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  The Smiley Smile Message Board
|-+  Non Smiley Smile Stuff
| |-+  The Sandbox
| | |-+  What are you watching now?/Favourite Movie of the Moment
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 39 40 41 [42] 43 44 45 46 47 ... 56   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: What are you watching now?/Favourite Movie of the Moment  (Read 443119 times)
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #1025 on: August 23, 2018, 06:20:50 AM »

Do you reminisce which is 1st film you'd seen in VHS? Is family VHS collection still kept or did you get rid of it/ sold?

Would you say it's better quality than DVD?

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
KDS
« Reply #1026 on: August 23, 2018, 06:38:33 AM »

Do you reminisce which is 1st film you'd seen in VHS? Is family VHS collection still kept or did you get rid of it/ sold?

Would you say it's better quality than DVD?

Most of my VHSs are gone.   I can't recall the first VHS I owned.   When I first got a DVD player in 2000, I started to replace my VHS tapes, and eventually sold a bunch of them (when you still could) for like $20. 

I think DVD is by far better quality.   Plus, with some of them, seeing movies in Letterbox was like seeing them for the first time.    Jaws in particular.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1027 on: August 23, 2018, 07:28:54 AM »

What's 1st DVD you bought then? Is your DVD player portable, i.e. with mini-screen built-in?

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
KDS
« Reply #1028 on: August 23, 2018, 09:55:29 AM »

What's 1st DVD you bought then? Is your DVD player portable, i.e. with mini-screen built-in?

The first DVD I ever bought was Pink Floyd The Wall.   I actually bought it months before I bought a player because I heard a rumor (that turned out to be untrue), that it was going to be a limited release.

Jaws was the first DVD I bought when I got my first player.   

My current DVD / BluRay player is hooked up to my TV. 
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1029 on: August 24, 2018, 08:37:48 PM »

Is there such thing in Baltimore as renting DVD films? VHS cassettes? In the city I live, there used to be place in the same building with flats, except the door facing the road, in which people could rent VHS cassette, payment mere 10 roubles. They kept journal to write down the last name, payment sum, telephone. If you rent single day - 10 roubles, 2 days - 20 etc. Do you/ did you do it in Baltimore? Or it's just buying permanently?

KDS
« Reply #1030 on: August 27, 2018, 05:18:01 AM »

Is there such thing in Baltimore as renting DVD films? VHS cassettes? In the city I live, there used to be place in the same building with flats, except the door facing the road, in which people could rent VHS cassette, payment mere 10 roubles. They kept journal to write down the last name, payment sum, telephone. If you rent single day - 10 roubles, 2 days - 20 etc. Do you/ did you do it in Baltimore? Or it's just buying permanently?

VHS is pretty much a dead format in the States.   As far as I know, it's been at least a decade before you could rent a video tape. 

DVD rentals is almost a thing of the past too.  The last Blockbuster Video stores closed their doors in 2010.   But, I do believe you can still rent at public libraries and at Redbox kiosks, which are located at many grocery and convenience stores.   

Even buying DVDs has really gone down.   I have a friend who sold all of her DVDs, and now streams movies online.   
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1031 on: August 27, 2018, 06:30:47 AM »

Everybody, it looks like, sees movies via The Internet. Plus in movie theatres. Speaking of, did you see any film in the theatre when it premiered? Do you rmbr?

KDS
« Reply #1032 on: August 27, 2018, 06:59:36 AM »

Everybody, it looks like, sees movies via The Internet. Plus in movie theatres. Speaking of, did you see any film in the theatre when it premiered? Do you rmbr?

I've seen a lot of movies in the theaters when they premiered.   Growing up, going to the movies was a fun pastime.   
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1033 on: August 27, 2018, 07:15:24 AM »

Tell then which movies you'd seen initially & latest premiere. Can't you bring examples? It's easy.

Did you see film at the drive-in theatre? It's popular in the States, right?
« Last Edit: August 27, 2018, 07:17:34 AM by RangeRoverA1 » Logged

KDS
« Reply #1034 on: August 27, 2018, 07:24:13 AM »

Tell then which movies you'd seen initially & latest premiere. Can't you bring examples? It's easy.

Did you see film at the drive-in theatre? It's popular in the States, right?

There are too many movies to list.   The first movie I remember seeing right away was probably Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (1990).   The last one I saw on premiere weekend was probably The Dark Knight Rises (2012). 

Drive ins aren't as popular as they used to be, but there are still a handful left, one of which is a stone's throw by my house.   But, I've only ever seen one movie at the drive in, The Devil's Rejects in 2005
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1035 on: August 27, 2018, 07:44:29 AM »

Do you think popcorn is overrated? It's big mystery such boring-tasting food can be popular movie food.

I read BBs fans discussing song "Drive-In" & being at drive-in theatre, saying it's fun. By their replies, it looked like they really made big deal about it as main/ single difference is they stay sitting in the car, big screen outdoors. If such trifle difference adds "fun", well. Silly.

KDS
« Reply #1036 on: August 27, 2018, 08:00:44 AM »

Do you think popcorn is overrated? It's big mystery such boring-tasting food can be popular movie food.

I read BBs fans discussing song "Drive-In" & being at drive-in theatre, saying it's fun. By their replies, it looked like they really made big deal about it as main/ single difference is they stay sitting in the car, big screen outdoors. If such trifle difference adds "fun", well. Silly.

I enjoy popcorn a lot, and when I was a kid, a bucket of buttered popcorn was part of the movie experience. 

Drive In was released in 1964, and drive in movies were far more popular then.   
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1037 on: August 27, 2018, 04:51:56 PM »

I dare say.

Before seeing movies, do you usually 1st check trailers? Do you agree with viewers who say that to decide if film is good or pure trash, we must check trailers, they preview the film well? Or do you think trailer doesn't help & you just read movie's short description to decide if you'll see it or it'll be waste of time?

Buckethead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1038 on: August 27, 2018, 06:44:39 PM »

I loved drive-ins growing up. My parents would get us four kids bathed and in pajamas, then put the back seat down flat in the car. We'd pile in with blankets and go see a movie. Dad would bring us soda and popcorn, we'd usually end up fighting. We were then threatened that we'd have to go if it didn't stop. Some of us always fell asleep before we got home and had to be carried to bed (hence the pajamas).

I don't judge a movie by the trailer. Trailers have fooled me too many times! I do read reviews, though. even if a reviewer doesn't like a movie, I pay attention to why, and that might be a reason I might want to see it.   
KDS
« Reply #1039 on: August 28, 2018, 05:11:08 AM »

I dare say.

Before seeing movies, do you usually 1st check trailers? Do you agree with viewers who say that to decide if film is good or pure trash, we must check trailers, they preview the film well? Or do you think trailer doesn't help & you just read movie's short description to decide if you'll see it or it'll be waste of time?

Sometimes I find trailers helpful, but they can also be misleading.   For example, the trailer for the 2010 movie Observe and Report made it look like a fun romp, an R rated version of Paul Blart, but it was actually a very dark comedy (still really enjoyed it). 

I'll often read online fan reviews too.   In general, I don't listen to critics. 
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1040 on: August 28, 2018, 05:41:15 AM »

I didn't say fan reviews. I said film's short description aka synopsis. Do you read it before deciding to see/ not to see movie?

KDS
« Reply #1041 on: August 28, 2018, 06:15:17 AM »

I didn't say fan reviews. I said film's short description aka synopsis. Do you read it before deciding to see/ not to see movie?

I usually will, but I was adding that I often read fan reviews, as I tend to find them more helpful when choosing a movie.   
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1042 on: August 28, 2018, 07:03:37 AM »

When you see movie, do you like to see it with smb. - to discuss it thru start to finish - or do you prefer to see it alone? Do you think specific movies should be seen without company?

KDS
« Reply #1043 on: August 28, 2018, 07:06:34 AM »

When you see movie, do you like to see it with smb. - to discuss it thru start to finish - or do you prefer to see it alone? Do you think specific movies should be seen without company?

The last few years, if I watch a movie, it's usually with my wife, except on the rare occasion that I watch a horror movie (usually around Halloween time), then I watch alone.   

If it's a movie I've never seen before, I'd prefer not to talk during the movie.   

I think comedies can be fun to watch with company.   Movies like Animal House, Caddyshack, etc can be fun if you're with some friends and having some drinks. 
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1044 on: August 28, 2018, 07:15:59 AM »

Would you say you're the best joke-cracker when seeing comedies with buddies? Better yet, worst?

Who's the biggest film villain joke to you, i.e. he laughably didn't look villainous, sinister, he's like loser type?

KDS
« Reply #1045 on: August 28, 2018, 07:22:03 AM »

Would you say you're the best joke-cracker when seeing comedies with buddies? Better yet, worst?

Who's the biggest film villain joke to you, i.e. he laughably didn't look villainous, sinister, he's like loser type?

I have a friend who used to be good with a witty comment when we'd watch movies.   Sadly, we don't really hang out anymore.   

I honestly didn't care for Joaquin Phoenix as the villain in the movie Gladiator.   I thought he was kind of wimpy villain.   I hope he does a better job playing the Joker.   To be fair, Jaret Leto set the bar pretty low. 
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1046 on: August 28, 2018, 03:58:44 PM »

You know what - I didn't still see "Gladiator". Is it good?

What's the dullest film you'd seen?

KDS
« Reply #1047 on: August 29, 2018, 05:13:01 AM »

You know what - I didn't still see "Gladiator". Is it good?

What's the dullest film you'd seen?

I think Gladiator is a good movie, but I honestly don't think it's very rewatchable, if that makes any sense.   

Dullest movie?  Without a doubt, the first Twilight.  There was no deeming quality or entertainment value in that movie whatsoever.   I watched it with my girlfriend, now wife, when we'd just started dating.

A close second is Something Borrowed, a "romantic comedy" featuring zero likable characters.   
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1048 on: August 29, 2018, 05:58:11 AM »

It makes sense, I'm smart enough.

We discussed before top 5 films, which would be your bottom 5 list?

KDS
« Reply #1049 on: August 29, 2018, 06:02:00 AM »

It makes sense, I'm smart enough.

We discussed before top 5 films, which would be your bottom 5 list?

That's actually a lot tougher, but off the top of my head

1.  Twilight
2.  Something Borrowed
3.  Batman and Robin
4.  Suicide Squad
5.  Alice Through the Looking Glass

I'm sure I've seen worse if I really stopped to think about it, but those stick out. 
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 39 40 41 [42] 43 44 45 46 47 ... 56   Go Up
Print
Jump to: