-->
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:40:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News: peteramescarlin.com
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  The Smiley Smile Message Board
|-+  Non Smiley Smile Stuff
| |-+  The Sandbox
| | |-+  What are you watching now?/Favourite Movie of the Moment
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 37 38 39 [40] 41 42 43 44 45 ... 56   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: What are you watching now?/Favourite Movie of the Moment  (Read 443127 times)
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #975 on: August 16, 2018, 05:14:51 PM »

Some long-time friends gather together each year to see smb.'s turn to pick movies. Do you/ did you do that with your friends?

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
KDS
« Reply #976 on: August 17, 2018, 05:21:26 AM »

Some long-time friends gather together each year to see smb.'s turn to pick movies. Do you/ did you do that with your friends?

Picking movies to go see in theater or watch at home? 

The answer is actually Yes to both.   When we were all young and single, we used to watch movies and go to movies a lot. 
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #977 on: August 17, 2018, 06:18:24 AM »

I mean did you & friends take turns in picking film every year to watch. F.ex. in 25788 it's your turn to pick film, next year it's smb. else's, next year smb. else's etc. etc. Is there such friend tradition to gather in the house & see each guy's pick at the same day every year?

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
KDS
« Reply #978 on: August 17, 2018, 06:39:09 AM »

I mean did you & friends take turns in picking film every year to watch. F.ex. in 25788 it's your turn to pick film, next year it's smb. else's, next year smb. else's etc. etc. Is there such friend tradition to gather in the house & see each guy's pick at the same day every year?

No, I can't say we ever had a yearly tradition like that.   When we were in our early 20s, we'd often get together, have some beers, and randomly decide what movie to watch based on our mood at the time.   
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #979 on: August 17, 2018, 06:44:54 AM »

Definitely taking turns to pick movie is much funner than see movie based to the mood.

Is there song(s) you know that got new popularity by being used in film? F.ex. in "Pulp Fiction", it's "Misirlou".

KDS
« Reply #980 on: August 17, 2018, 06:51:34 AM »

Definitely taking turns to pick movie is much funner than see movie based to the mood.

Is there song(s) you know that got new popularity by being used in film? F.ex. in "Pulp Fiction", it's "Misirlou".

In my experience, we've had more fun picking movies on a whim, but to each their own. 

Queen's Bohemian Rhapsody is the best example I can think of.   Mike Myers's decision to use that movie in the now iconic scene in Wayne's World gave Queen a huge shot in the arm in the United States.   In the mid 80s, Queen suddenly wasn't as popular in the US, and the band didn't even play the States during their 1984 or 1986 tours.   But, in 1992, Wayne's World helped Bo Rhap become a #1 single in the States in a summer in which grunge was starting to overtake rock radio.   It also introduced a younger audience to Queen, including an 11 going on 12 kds who became obsessed with the band's catalog over the next year or so. 
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #981 on: August 17, 2018, 06:59:57 AM »

Do they really shorten song title to "Bo Rhap"? Should do the same with other songs.

Speaking of movie scenes, could you list few best in movies you'd seen? Describe shortly.

KDS
« Reply #982 on: August 17, 2018, 07:05:54 AM »

Do they really shorten song title to "Bo Rhap"? Should do the same with other songs.

Speaking of movie scenes, could you list few best in movies you'd seen? Describe shortly.

Bo Rhap is a common abbreviation used among Queen fans, and I think even some of the members of the best.   

Best movies I've ever seen? 
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #983 on: August 17, 2018, 07:11:51 AM »

Ofc not. Best movie scenes. Specific movie scenes that you like, impressed you etc.

KDS
« Reply #984 on: August 17, 2018, 07:22:34 AM »

Ofc not. Best movie scenes. Specific movie scenes that you like, impressed you etc.

Jaws - I didn't like this scene as much when I was a kid, because it lacked action, but it's one of the most iconic scenes in the movie.   When Robert Shaw tells his monologue about being on board the doomed USS Indianapolis.   It's a powerful story, and a great performance by the late Shaw.   It would be rare for a big blockbuster to devote such a large chuck of time in a movie to dialog today.    But, the story adds some background to Shaw's character Quint and brings some reality to the movie. 

Halloween (1978) - the opening scene from young Michael's POV where he murders his sister sets up the horror and tension to follow.   Unlike the Rob Zombie 2007 remake, there is no rhyme or reason to Michael's actions, which makes it far scarier IMO. 

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #985 on: August 17, 2018, 07:49:08 AM »

About "Halloween" (1978). 3 questions - Without knowing, who did you picture to be hidden behind mask? Do you agree it's really cool music? Do you wish smb. else played the main girl in Jamie Lee Curtis' place?

KDS
« Reply #986 on: August 17, 2018, 09:22:13 AM »

About "Halloween" (1978). 3 questions - Without knowing, who did you picture to be hidden behind mask? Do you agree it's really cool music? Do you wish smb. else played the main girl in Jamie Lee Curtis' place?

I think one of the great things about Halloween is that they used a man of average size and build, so it could've been anybody under that mask.   Unlike the remake, where Myers was a giant.  So, it's almost impossible to really picture somebody under the mask. 

I love John Carpenter's music in the movie.   It adds to the atmosphere a lot. 

I think Jamie Lee Curtis was a great choice, as she could actually act, and she wasn't just a young girl who could scream and fill out a shirt really well.   Again, they missed the mark on Laurie Strode in the remake with the annoying Scout Taylor Compton.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #987 on: August 19, 2018, 05:44:09 PM »

Behind mask I imagined smb. funny-faced, i.e. when they de-disguise the face, they'll see real baffoon type. Jamie's cool, agree. What can you say about 2 kids? Do you think they didn't need to be created? I found the girl especially not convincing, despite the fact that year earlier she played well terrified girl being chased to be killed in "Eaten Alive". In "Halloween", she didn't try.

KDS
« Reply #988 on: August 20, 2018, 05:16:18 AM »

Behind mask I imagined smb. funny-faced, i.e. when they de-disguise the face, they'll see real baffoon type. Jamie's cool, agree. What can you say about 2 kids? Do you think they didn't need to be created? I found the girl especially not convincing, despite the fact that year earlier she played well terrified girl being chased to be killed in "Eaten Alive". In "Halloween", she didn't try.

Are you referring to Jamie Lee Curtis's character's friends in the original Halloween?   They were basically there to give victims to Michael.  I could be wrong, but I think Halloween was the first movie to use the slasher movie "rule" of sex = death.   PJ Soles and her boyfriend are both murdered by Annie after doing the deed, and Annie is killed by Michael on her way to meet up with her boyfriend for a Halloween treat. 

However, Laurie, the single girl who is stuck with babysitting two kids in the "final girl." 
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #989 on: August 20, 2018, 05:24:27 AM »

I mean what you said just now - "babysitting two kids". I meant those 2 kids. I said as such.

TAKE 2: "What can you say about 2 kids? Do you think they didn't need to be created? I found the girl especially not convincing, despite the fact that year earlier she played well terrified girl being chased to be killed in "Eaten Alive". In "Halloween", she didn't try."

KDS
« Reply #990 on: August 20, 2018, 05:32:04 AM »

I mean what you said just now - "babysitting two kids". I meant those 2 kids. I said as such.

TAKE 2: "What can you say about 2 kids? Do you think they didn't need to be created? I found the girl especially not convincing, despite the fact that year earlier she played well terrified girl being chased to be killed in "Eaten Alive". In "Halloween", she didn't try."

I thought the little kids did a decent job, and it's a way to take the horror up a notch, like, "OK he's killing promiscuous teens, he's not gonna kill those little ones, right?"
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #991 on: August 20, 2018, 06:15:46 AM »

Hm, is there difference between saying "kids" & "little kids"? Now you say "little kids". Is it reason you thought by "2 kids" I meant Laurie's friends? They may be young but they're absolutely not kids. Esp. girls in America seem to look really old, in their 20s they look 30-40. They grow really fast. Ditto guys here & there.

We'll agree to disagree re: kids. Btw, can't stand P.J. Soles, ugly & really bad actress. Now then. New question - do you think good thriller is better than good horror? Vice versa?

KDS
« Reply #992 on: August 20, 2018, 06:21:35 AM »

Hm, is there difference between saying "kids" & "little kids"? Now you say "little kids". Is it reason you thought by "2 kids" I meant Laurie's friends? They may be young but they're absolutely not kids. Esp. girls in America seem to look really old, in their 20s they look 30-40. They grow really fast. Ditto guys here & there.

We'll agree to disagree re: kids. Btw, can't stand P.J. Soles, ugly & really bad actress. Now then. New question - do you think good thriller is better than good horror? Vice versa?

PJ Soles, ugly?  Wow, I always thought she was quite fetching in Halloween and Stripes.   You're a tough cookie, RR.   All the characters I referred to were under 17, so technically, they're "kids."   

Usually, thriller and horror are used interchangably, so I'm not really sure I can answer.   What do you mean?
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #993 on: August 20, 2018, 06:44:36 AM »

Neither girl or guy even looked 17. Look way too sophisticated, not like normal teens which imo should retain by 18 their child looks. I said it. To my taste, P.J. is ugly. Ditto Julia Roberts, Heather Graham, Julianna Moore, Karen Allen, Cher, Madonna (a.k.a. pseudo-actress), Robin Wright (Penn?), various Bond girls, Lindsay Lohan, Andie MacDowell, Sally Field, Gwyneth Paltrow, Scarlett Johansson, Winona Ryder, Jennifer Aniston, Uma Thurman etc. The ugly guys' list will be twice as big.

Thriller is akin to "7" with Brad Pitt & Morgan Freeman. Ask again - which to you is better - good thriller (example) or good horror (example)?

KDS
« Reply #994 on: August 20, 2018, 06:55:03 AM »

Neither girl or guy even looked 17. Look way too sophisticated, not like normal teens which imo should retain by 18 their child looks. I said it. To my taste, P.J. is ugly. Ditto Julia Roberts, Heather Graham, Julianna Moore, Karen Allen, Cher, Madonna (a.k.a. pseudo-actress), Robin Wright (Penn?), various Bond girls, Lindsay Lohan, Andie MacDowell, Sally Field, Gwyneth Paltrow, Scarlett Johansson, Winona Ryder, Jennifer Aniston, Uma Thurman etc. The ugly guys' list will be twice as big.

Thriller is akin to "7" with Brad Pitt & Morgan Freeman. Ask again - which to you is better - good thriller (example) or good horror (example)?

Ah, gotcha.   I guess at the end of the day, I'd prefer a good horror movie as it's more escapist entertainment.   Thrillers as you defined are typically more realistic (ie Seven, Silence of the Lambs) where as horror often involves things that are not generally accepted as real, like a slasher that comes back to life constantly, ghosts, demons, zombies, etc, so it's easier to turn off one's head and fall into the entertainment world. 

It's pretty common for young adults to play teens.   I think Michael J Fox was in his 30s when he last played 17 year old Marty McFly.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.    Just curious to see a top 3-5 beautiful woman list.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #995 on: August 20, 2018, 07:06:49 AM »

Yes, Mike doesn't die in "Halloween" despite being murdered by doctor = horror thru & thru.

You list 1st beautiful top 5 actress.

What do you think about silent films? Do you like Charlie Chaplin? Mary Pickford? etc.?

KDS
« Reply #996 on: August 20, 2018, 07:20:33 AM »

Yes, Mike doesn't die in "Halloween" despite being murdered by doctor = horror thru & thru.

You list 1st beautiful top 5 actress.

What do you think about silent films? Do you like Charlie Chaplin? Mary Pickford? etc.?

Just off the top of my head:

Emma Stone
Jennifer Aniston
Jessica Biel
Elizabeth Gilles
Anne Hathaway

I haven't watched a lot of silent films.   I do eventually want to watch The Lost World and Nosferatu in their entirety.   
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #997 on: August 20, 2018, 07:49:46 AM »

Diverse list. Emma & Biel, I'll give them that. But Hathaway is big NO. Btw, in the uglies list forgot Sharon Dullville Stone. Sure, she's well-shaped dazzling bust, slender legs but, I judge beauty exclusively by face.

Famous Top 5 beautiful actress: Angelina Jolie, Audrey Hepburn, Gene Tierney, Dorothy McGuire, Michelle Pfeiffer (plus Rita Hayworth).

Obscure: Tara Reid, Ruth McCabe (Mary in "My Left Foot"), Romy Windsor (writer Marie Adams in "Howling 4"), Shawn Weatherly (Mahoney's girl in "Police Academy 3"), Macha Meril (maybe THE best-looking French actress, starred in some films, including in Jean-Luc Godard's). Do you borrow DVDs in the Baltimore library? Is it available to do?

KDS
« Reply #998 on: August 20, 2018, 07:59:32 AM »

Diverse list. Emma & Biel, I'll give them that. But Hathaway is big NO. Btw, in the uglies list forgot Sharon Dullville Stone. Sure, she's well-shaped dazzling bust, slender legs but, I judge beauty exclusively by face.

Famous Top 5 beautiful actress: Angelina Jolie, Audrey Hepburn, Gene Tierney, Dorothy McGuire, Michelle Pfeiffer (plus Rita Hayworth).

Obscure: Tara Reid, Ruth McCabe (Mary in "My Left Foot"), Romy Windsor (writer Marie Adams in "Howling 4"), Shawn Weatherly (Mahoney's girl in "Police Academy 3"), Macha Meril (maybe THE best-looking French actress, starred in some films, including in Jean-Luc Godard's). Do you borrow DVDs in the Baltimore library? Is it available to do?

The first few times I saw Tara Reid, in the dreadful Urban Legend, and in the first American Pie, I thought she was beautiful, but since she got into the drug scene, I don't quite feel the same. 

DVDs are available to rent at the library, but I haven't done it.   Lately, on the rare occasion I rent a movie, I'll go to Red Box, or get it on demand or through Netflix. 
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #999 on: August 20, 2018, 08:05:11 AM »

I mean, of course, these actresses in their heyday. When they didn't get spoiled, didn't age etc.

I'd seen the phrase "on demand" frequently. What does it mean?

Pages: 1 ... 35 36 37 38 39 [40] 41 42 43 44 45 ... 56   Go Up
Print
Jump to: