-->
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:22:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News: peteramescarlin.com
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  The Smiley Smile Message Board
|-+  Non Smiley Smile Stuff
| |-+  The Sandbox
| | |-+  What are you watching now?/Favourite Movie of the Moment
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 34 35 36 [37] 38 39 40 41 42 ... 56   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: What are you watching now?/Favourite Movie of the Moment  (Read 443188 times)
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #900 on: July 23, 2018, 08:47:43 AM »

Wait. I don't get it - actually there's difference between family & kids' movies? I logically assumed it means the same kind of movie but different terms.

Well anyway, even family-friendly films should be cussing-free. Leave it the other films.

In PS thread last or 2 yrs back you said sth. like kids shouldn't be in safe fairy tale world & be instead allowed to watch serious things. Am curious to hear what made you get to this conclusion.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
KDS
« Reply #901 on: July 23, 2018, 09:17:05 AM »

Wait. I don't get it - actually there's difference between family & kids' movies? I logically assumed it means the same kind of movie but different terms.

Well anyway, even family-friendly films should be cussing-free. Leave it the other films.

In PS thread last or 2 yrs back you said sth. like kids shouldn't be in safe fairy tale world & be instead allowed to watch serious things. Am curious to hear what made you get to this conclusion.

children's movies are movies aimed specifically at children, usually rated G.   Family films have more of an appeal to people of all ages, usually rated PG (ie. Honey I Shrunk the Kids). 

I think children should be allowed to watch whatever their parents feel that they can handle.   
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #902 on: July 24, 2018, 08:29:54 PM »

Did you see movies difficult to gather what they're about, "mish-mash" type in which too many characters, weird plot twists etc.? List these movies.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
KDS
« Reply #903 on: July 25, 2018, 05:35:29 AM »

Did you see movies difficult to gather what they're about, "mish-mash" type in which too many characters, weird plot twists etc.? List these movies.

While it didn't have too many characters, I think The Ninth Gate (starring Johnny Depp) is a mess of a movie.   The story doesn't really go anywhere.   It feels like a poor attempt at horror, and moviemaking in general. 
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #904 on: July 25, 2018, 06:54:18 PM »

You're Bruce Willis fan. Did you know he's considered for playing Mahoney in "Police Academy", turned it down then regretted? Hate to say it but too bad he didn't take that role as Steve Guttenberg is inferior. Can't stand this actor. Bruce Willis could be less annoying in PA. Besides, Guttenberg is ugly to play supposedly good-looking character.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2018, 07:24:52 PM by RangeRoverA1 » Logged

KDS
« Reply #905 on: July 26, 2018, 05:17:31 AM »

You're Bruce Willis fan. Did you know he's considered for playing Mahoney in "Police Academy", turned it down then regretted? Hate to say it but too bad he didn't take that role as Steve Guttenberg is inferior. Can't stand this actor. Bruce Willis could be less annoying in PA. Besides, Guttenberg is ugly to play supposedly good-looking character.

I'd actually never heard that, but that's interesting.   I'm not a huge Guttenberg fan, but I honestly couldn't image Willis playing that character.   
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #906 on: July 26, 2018, 08:07:42 AM »

To startle you further - Michael Batman Keaton considered for Guttenberg's role before latter but, as Willis, turned it down. I read numerous trivia facts about "Police Academy" being loyal fan of franchise. Did research about it, read cast & crew's interviews, many vids etc. etc. What do you think, Keaton could be better?

You're too PA fan. Do you regard it the best police film or which film is best if not PA?

KDS
« Reply #907 on: July 26, 2018, 08:17:05 AM »

To startle you further - Michael Batman Keaton considered for Guttenberg's role before latter but, as Willis, turned it down. I read numerous trivia facts about "Police Academy" being loyal fan of franchise. Did research about it, read cast & crew's interviews, many vids etc. etc. What do you think, Keaton could be better?

You're too PA fan. Do you regard it the best police film or which film is best if not PA?

I think I've heard the Keaton thing before, and I could actually see him as Carey Mahoney. 

I never did a lot of research on the franchise.   I was a bigger fan of the franchise when I was a kid, and there was no internet then, so it wasn't so easy to find Behind the Scenes stuff like you can now.   

To be honest, I still like the original, but I don't think the sequels have aged too well, especially once you get past #4.   

Best police comedy?   I think the original might be, but I think Super Troopers gives it a run for its money.    Best overall police movie?   I might go Lethal Weapon. 
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #908 on: July 26, 2018, 03:31:16 PM »

Question nags why they refused to be in "Police Academy". Willis etc. weren't big names back in 1984 anyway, what's the fear it's low budget movie. They began in the 80s, young fledgling actors usually agree to any role to be paid even tiny money. Bizarre.

Random - smb. said back in Imdb boards about if movie is bad, chance is big that made into cartoon it would be much better. Do you think there's truth to it?

KDS
« Reply #909 on: July 27, 2018, 05:44:17 AM »

Question nags why they refused to be in "Police Academy". Willis etc. weren't big names back in 1984 anyway, what's the fear it's low budget movie. They began in the 80s, young fledgling actors usually agree to any role to be paid even tiny money. Bizarre.

Random - smb. said back in Imdb boards about if movie is bad, chance is big that made into cartoon it would be much better. Do you think there's truth to it?

Maybe Willis read the script, and just didn't think it was for him.   I'm not sure.   Even young actors can be picky.   Richard Dreyfuss originally turned down the offer to star in Jaws, but wound up changing his mind. 

If a movie is bad, it had a chance to be made into a cartoon?   I can't agree with that at all since I think Ghostbusters, Beetlejuice, and Bill & Ted were all really good movies that got made into cartoons.   
Buckethead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #910 on: July 29, 2018, 07:08:34 AM »

Watching on local Public Broadcasting Station (PBS) Summer, Surf, and Beach Music We Love. Host is none other than Mike Love! As far as I can see, it is totally lip-synced promo films and TV performances from back in the day. Really fun, IMO. Date of original broadcast is 1916. Features Jan and Dean, Beach Boys, all of the usual suspects.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #911 on: July 29, 2018, 07:36:41 AM »

Date of original broadcast is 1916. Features Jan and Dean, Beach Boys, all of the usual suspects.

They must have been quite young.  Shocked Grin

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Buckethead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #912 on: July 29, 2018, 01:49:50 PM »

I'll say! LOL. 2016.
KDS
« Reply #913 on: July 30, 2018, 05:17:18 AM »

Watching on local Public Broadcasting Station (PBS) Summer, Surf, and Beach Music We Love. Host is none other than Mike Love! As far as I can see, it is totally lip-synced promo films and TV performances from back in the day. Really fun, IMO. Date of original broadcast is 1916. Features Jan and Dean, Beach Boys, all of the usual suspects.

I saw that when it aired, and it was pretty good.   Back when it aired, they were selling an oddball Beach Boys comp in return for PBS pledges.   
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #914 on: July 30, 2018, 02:35:48 PM »

New question to KDS: Recently seen film "Deepwater Horizon" with such cast - John Malkovich, Mark Wahlberg, Kurt Russell. Tbh, it didn't match Malkovich to play in such type film. But without him, it's still very strangely cobbled together cast. Can you list example with random actors being in single film, you couldn't imagine them 1. playing in the same film 2. few didn't match that type movie.

KDS
« Reply #915 on: July 31, 2018, 05:25:11 AM »

New question to KDS: Recently seen film "Deepwater Horizon" with such cast - John Malkovich, Mark Wahlberg, Kurt Russell. Tbh, it didn't match Malkovich to play in such type film. But without him, it's still very strangely cobbled together cast. Can you list example with random actors being in single film, you couldn't imagine them 1. playing in the same film 2. few didn't match that type movie.

I thought Ocean's 11 was kind of like that.   It was a decent movie though.   Scott Caan seemed like the odd man out, coming off roles in Varsity Blues and Ready to Rumble
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #916 on: August 02, 2018, 06:38:17 PM »

You listed single actor being "odd". What can you say if film cast is motley crew, i.e. you couldn't see them being in single film? F.ex. it stars Sara Michelle Gellar, Bette Midler, Mark Dacascos, Macaulay Culkin, John Turturro, Seth Rogen. Would you be OK with such mixture, do you approve experiments with casting choices, it piques the interest? Or do you think it's big mistake if various type actors play in the film, it's destined to be likely epic fail?

KDS
« Reply #917 on: August 03, 2018, 05:11:00 AM »

You listed single actor being "odd". What can you say if film cast is motley crew, i.e. you couldn't see them being in single film? F.ex. it stars Sara Michelle Gellar, Bette Midler, Mark Dacascos, Macaulay Culkin, John Turturro, Seth Rogen. Would you be OK with such mixture, do you approve experiments with casting choices, it piques the interest? Or do you think it's big mistake if various type actors play in the film, it's destined to be likely epic fail?

I'm fine with mixing up various types of actors if the story is good.   Red is a good example.   I know you're not really a Bruce Willis fan.   Francis Ford Coppola's Dracula is another (even though Keanu Reeves is a bit out of his element there). 
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #918 on: August 03, 2018, 06:13:58 AM »

Everybody knows you hate weird BBs albums. You said you hate weird films as well. But, could you tell few exceptions?

KDS
« Reply #919 on: August 03, 2018, 06:32:28 AM »

Everybody knows you hate weird BBs albums. You said you hate weird films as well. But, could you tell few exceptions?

I like that you used the word "weird" instead of "quirky" or "so Brian."   LOL

Depending on who you ask, the Monty Python movies might be considered weird, and I'm a big fan of those.   Pink Floyd - The Wall is another.   It's really a 90 minute music video, but I think it qualifies. 
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #920 on: August 03, 2018, 06:41:03 AM »

Does it mean it's easy to you to laugh at British jokes? Many say U.K. humor is difficult to laugh at. Relatedly, which humor do you fail to induce laughter? Either by type (e.g. black) or by location (e.g. Australian).

KDS
« Reply #921 on: August 03, 2018, 07:38:34 AM »

Does it mean it's easy to you to laugh at British jokes? Many say U.K. humor is difficult to laugh at. Relatedly, which humor do you fail to induce laughter? Either by type (e.g. black) or by location (e.g. Australian).

I'm not a fan of a lot of modern US comedy.    I'm not sure how to describe it, but shows like Broad City.   I've heard it described as "alternative" comedy or "hip" comedy.  Whatever it is, it doesn't make me laugh. 
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #922 on: August 04, 2018, 04:29:15 AM »

Can you explain what's slapstick comedy? Write down film examples. Is it comedy that can be slapstick or it passes thru genres?

Buckethead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #923 on: August 05, 2018, 07:56:08 AM »

I've always thought of slapstick as mainly comedy. I believe that the first was the old Punch and Judy puppet shows, which started in 1600s Italy. Punch had a stick that he would beat people with (including the much-abused Judy). The Three Stooges (a TV series) was classic slapstick in which one of the Stooges would pick, poke in the eyes, and do other violence to his peers. Thank goodness, it evolved more into still physical, but less violent fare. The Monty Python troupe did slapstick, as did Abbott and Costello (A and C Meet the Mummy), Chevy Chase (National Lampoon series, Caddyshack), Jim Carrey (Me, Myself, and Irene). Disney's The Shaggy Dog is another example.
KDS
« Reply #924 on: August 06, 2018, 05:24:56 AM »

Can you explain what's slapstick comedy? Write down film examples. Is it comedy that can be slapstick or it passes thru genres?

Slapstick is basically physical comedy, going as far back as Laurel & Hardy and The Three Stooges.   More modern examples are the Home Alone movies and Chris Farley comedies.   The Police Academy franchise is also a good example. 
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 34 35 36 [37] 38 39 40 41 42 ... 56   Go Up
Print
Jump to: