-->
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:25:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News: Bellagio 10452
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  The Smiley Smile Message Board
|-+  Non Smiley Smile Stuff
| |-+  The Sandbox
| | |-+  What are you watching now?/Favourite Movie of the Moment
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 33 34 35 [36] 37 38 39 40 41 ... 56   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: What are you watching now?/Favourite Movie of the Moment  (Read 443096 times)
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #875 on: July 11, 2018, 08:28:07 PM »

Thanks, indeed it's better to address it publicly than by sending message. Nobody sees it. Just like when smb. brings apology they should do it in the board rather than via pm.

Yes, my English dictionaries - which I got many of various types - date within 1945 & 1983. I like retro things, buy them, get as gifts. Rarely check online dictionaries. But looks like I should buy good, up-to-date, fat English dictionary. I suspect in old dictionaries they leave out bad meanings due to times as you said, strict political correctness etc.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #876 on: July 11, 2018, 09:21:12 PM »

I think today in 2018 we've far more politically correct than back then.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #877 on: July 11, 2018, 10:58:15 PM »

I think today in 2018 we've far more politically correct than back then.

Definitely. Not trying to derail the thread but that’s why I get so angry when I see people refer to others as “snowflakes “ and such... I don’t think it’s a matter of political correctness as much as being more respectful though

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #878 on: July 11, 2018, 11:00:35 PM »

As far as the topic goes... I actually watch more YouTube than anything else these days. Be Amazed is good channel and I’ve learned a lot from it. YouTube isn’t just concerts and memes.... there’s actually a lot of informative videos on there

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
KDS
« Reply #879 on: July 12, 2018, 05:35:15 AM »

2Billy: Well, that's new to me. I read in synonyms dictionary that pansy is the same as coward. Looks like it's not credible dictionary. Thanks to clarify. & thanks to nitpick my posts to find sth. bad in them to paint me homophobic. Roll Eyes

2KDS: I didn't say anything about your son. I believe I said "hypothetical child". As in if I had kid in alternate universe scenario, I'd think she or he is coward/ easily scared. I'd judge that kid strictly, as I as kid didn't get scared, could see horror movies just fine. But, I don't know ANYthing about children's psychology. What the average 5-year-old kid is like etc. I figured kids differ.

I'd seen "Hostel", it's definitely not my idea of horror. As you said, it's got various indecent scenes. To me, it ruins the horror, it stops being horror. & I didn't say anything about horror comedy which got right to exist. I talked about horror parody. It's different thing.

Next 2 KDS - What can you say about this year's  movies? Did you see anything/ do you plan to see? Liked anything?

I know you didn't mean my son directly, as he's only 7 months.   But, I think it's very unfair to judge a hypothetical five year old child on what he / she is afraid of.   And, I certainly hope you wouldn't call a five year a pansy or coward, or judge the child strictly because of something they're afraid of. 

Hostel might not be your taste, but it's horror.   That would be like my saying Nirvana isn't a rock band because I don't like them.   

You'll be hard pressed to find a horror movie that is horror from start to finish.   For me, a movie like Hostel is effective because of the setup.    The first half of the movie, showing the protagonists having fun, getting drunk, and getting laid makes the events of the second half of the movie that much more horrific. 

Even a movie like Halloween for example.  You don't see Michael Myers murdering teenagers during the entire movie. 

As for horror parody, it absolutely works.   The best example is Mel Brooks's Young Frankenstein.   Not only is it the best horror parody out there, it's one of the best comedies of all time.   The first two Scary Movie movies are pretty good too.   While not big best work, Mel Brooks's final movie to date is Dracula - Dead and Loving It. 
KDS
« Reply #880 on: July 12, 2018, 05:36:30 AM »

I saw a wonderful documentary at a theater yesterday. It's "Won't You Be My Neighbor;"  those in the U.S. recognizing that as the ending of the opening song for the long time children's TV program, Mr Roger's Neighborhood. Mr Rogers was Fred Rogers.
The documentary showed Rogers' interaction with children and his advocacy for them. It seems to strike a chord with audiences - I've read multiple articles of how grown people are reduced to tears. That was definitely the case when I went; sniffling and nose blowing were the order of the day.
I totally lost it when Daniel Striped Tiger sang "Am I A Mistake?" During my adolescence I often thought that I was a  "mistake". Anyway, I think the tears shed were cathartic.

I've heard great things about it, but have yet to see it. 

There's one that PBS aired called "It's You I Like" that I've had on the DVR for a couple months now. 
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #881 on: July 12, 2018, 07:07:13 AM »

2KDS: Thanks to vital advice re: do's & don't's in kid upbringing but I like being childless.

Re: "Hostel", I got what you said but not convinced. It's not simple dislike - it's not MY definition of horror. Yes, every single horror doesn't start with murders etc. but when you see it, proceed with it, you realize it's horror - the atmosphere, subtlety, plot, villains. "Hostel" is too excessive which doesn't help to take it seriously.

Re: horror parody, we'll agree to disagree.

You didn't answer last bit - "What can you say about this year's  movies? Did you see anything/ do you plan to see? Liked anything?"

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
KDS
« Reply #882 on: July 12, 2018, 07:15:40 AM »

2KDS: Thanks to vital advice re: do's & don't's in kid upbringing but I like being childless.

Re: "Hostel", I got what you said but not convinced. It's not simple dislike - it's not MY definition of horror. Yes, every single horror doesn't start with murders etc. but when you see it, proceed with it, you realize it's horror - the atmosphere, subtlety, plot, villains. "Hostel" is too excessive which doesn't help to take it seriously.

Re: horror parody, we'll agree to disagree.

You didn't answer last bit - "What can you say about this year's  movies? Did you see anything/ do you plan to see? Liked anything?"

Well, it kind of is your definition of horror because if you ask 100 people if Hostel is a horror movie, you'll likely get close to 100 saying that it is. 

I have yet to see a single movie released in 2018, so I really can't comment.   To be honest, there really haven't been many movies released this year that I'd really want to pay to see.   
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #883 on: July 12, 2018, 08:06:43 AM »

Can't add anything new about "Hostel". Nope, still not convinced. What random 100 people say should matter how. It's their opinions.
Is any movie tear-inducer to you? Chaps don't usually cry but, there could be single film which chokes you up. Will you tell?

KDS
« Reply #884 on: July 12, 2018, 08:49:17 AM »

Can't add anything new about "Hostel". Nope, still not convinced. What random 100 people say should matter how. It's their opinions.
Is any movie tear-inducer to you? Chaps don't usually cry but, there could be single film which chokes you up. Will you tell?

I think it's more than just opinion though really considering Hostel is a part of the horror genre, but I don't think I'm going to sway you. 

Tear jerker.   Field of Dreams I'd say.   The ending usually gets to me.   That's really about it, although occasionally various versions of A Christmas Carol have gotten to me. 
Buckethead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #885 on: July 12, 2018, 06:56:38 PM »

The Sound of Music was a tear-jerker for me until I learned that half of it was fake.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #886 on: July 12, 2018, 07:31:41 PM »

2KDS - many films I'd seen don't match its labelled genre. If film says "comedy" yet it didn't bring any laughs, do I go with said label? No. Ditto "Hostel" .

If you were tasked to pick single must-see movie, which would it be? Me, I'd pick "Sun Valley Serenade".

Buckethead, will you too answer the question?

KDS
« Reply #887 on: July 13, 2018, 05:17:15 AM »

2KDS - many films I'd seen don't match its labelled genre. If film says "comedy" yet it didn't bring any laughs, do I go with said label? No. Ditto "Hostel" .

If you were tasked to pick single must-see movie, which would it be? Me, I'd pick "Sun Valley Serenade".

Buckethead, will you too answer the question?

Well, if the overall purpose is to make people laugh, it's a comedy, regardless of whether or not it makes you and me laugh.   You can't put personal taste above facts.   

If I were tasked to pick one must see movie, it would be Jaws
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #888 on: July 13, 2018, 06:41:46 AM »

I disagree with your point further. Either I didn't explain it better or you don't get.

Must-see is "Jaws". Now, which film would you not recommend to anybody?

KDS
« Reply #889 on: July 13, 2018, 07:34:25 AM »

I disagree with your point further. Either I didn't explain it better or you don't get.

Must-see is "Jaws". Now, which film would you not recommend to anybody?

I got your point, I just think it's wrong to try to recategorize a movie because it doesn't fit your idea of what the genre is.   So, I'll just respectfully disagree and move on. 

Which film would I not recommend....That's a long list.   But, one of the top of my head is Twilight.   I watched that movie with my girlfriend now wife when we were still in the courting stage, and it's truly the worst movie I've ever watched from start to finish.   The acting in horrible.    The story makes little sense.   Just awful. 

Honorable mention - Something Borrowed.  There's not one likeable character is the whole thing
Buckethead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #890 on: July 15, 2018, 08:24:23 AM »

RRA1 - As with books (and cats vs. dogs!), it is impossible for me to pick one favorite or must-see. When people ask me this, I feel a lot of anxiety (ditto with colors, kids, etc.).
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #891 on: July 16, 2018, 05:37:13 PM »

2KDS: "Twilight" is boring but then again vampire films bore me - "Dusk Till Dawn", "Vampirella", even legendary Dracula stuff.

New question - Would you rather musician's documentary be tell-all, incl. private/ business/ financial matters or be strictly music? Judging by various reviews, it seems people think it's fair if doc tells detailed portrait.

2Buckethead: Okey-doke.

Buckethead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #892 on: July 16, 2018, 05:44:13 PM »

I must admit that I like to know the social and personal details . i just find this kind of stuff fascinating. 
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #893 on: July 17, 2018, 06:28:17 AM »

Btw, Buckethead, question waits for you to answer in Sandbox thread for chit chat. Check it.

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #894 on: July 18, 2018, 05:04:21 PM »

Reading thread Lost Films, it looks like everybody wishes they're found. Question is "Why?". What makes people wish they be found. Lost films could be pure trash, you know? It's hilarious the way people make big deal about films they did NOT see. Ha.

KDS
« Reply #895 on: July 23, 2018, 06:29:05 AM »

2KDS: "Twilight" is boring but then again vampire films bore me - "Dusk Till Dawn", "Vampirella", even legendary Dracula stuff.

New question - Would you rather musician's documentary be tell-all, incl. private/ business/ financial matters or be strictly music? Judging by various reviews, it seems people think it's fair if doc tells detailed portrait.

2Buckethead: Okey-doke.

I like a doc to be a mix of story and music.   I find both subjects very compelling.   
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #896 on: July 23, 2018, 06:55:54 AM »

Many 12+ family type films still use bad language. Do you agree that family films should be absolutely free of it?

KDS
« Reply #897 on: July 23, 2018, 07:00:29 AM »

Many 12+ family type films still use bad language. Do you agree that family films should be absolutely free of it?

Depends.   I've seen plenty of family movies that'll use some bad language.   Monster Squad was aimed as kids, and there's actually some language in that movie that would get it an R (17+) rating today.   

But, obviously, it should be free of the so called "really bad" words.   
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #898 on: July 23, 2018, 08:23:53 AM »

I'm 200% against bad language in family/ kids' films. Sure, many-many kids start using it since really young age, thinking it makes them look cool (I pity people who use bad language due to that reason. Lame, really). But, it doesn't matter - if it's kid film, it must be cussing-free. Kids may think it's good to cuss if they see family films with characters cussing.
As you know, PG-13 created due to Spielberg's "Temple Doom". Frankly, it's bizarre. There isn't anything super-scary, am sure many films similar to "Indiana Jones" before it were lots scarier. Yet, "Temple Doom" is starter. Wha'?

KDS
« Reply #899 on: July 23, 2018, 08:29:21 AM »

I'm 200% against bad language in family/ kids' films. Sure, many-many kids start using it since really young age, thinking it makes them look cool (I pity people who use bad language due to that reason. Lame, really). But, it doesn't matter - if it's kid film, it must be cussing-free. Kids may think it's good to cuss if they see family films with characters cussing.
As you know, PG-13 created due to Spielberg's "Temple Doom". Frankly, it's bizarre. There isn't anything super-scary, am sure many films similar to "Indiana Jones" before it were lots scarier. Yet, "Temple Doom" is starter. Wha'?

For kids movies, I'd agree.   I thought you were referring to family friendly movies, most of which would usually get a PG rating.   Those will sometimes include very mild or suggestive language, but nothing really bad. 

Jaws almost received an R when it was initially released, but they were able to convince the MPAA to give it a PG.   As for Temple, I think the scene where a victim's heart gets ripped out of his chest was the primary reason.   And another movie with Speilberg ties, Gremlins, also receives credit for the invention of PG13 for the scene where the mother puts the Gremlin in the microwave.   Apparently, there was concern that it might cause children to put small animals in the microwave. 
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 33 34 35 [36] 37 38 39 40 41 ... 56   Go Up
Print
Jump to: