-->
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:15:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News: Endless Summer Quarterly
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  The Smiley Smile Message Board
|-+  Non Smiley Smile Stuff
| |-+  The Sandbox
| | |-+  What are you watching now?/Favourite Movie of the Moment
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 32 33 34 [35] 36 37 38 39 40 ... 56   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: What are you watching now?/Favourite Movie of the Moment  (Read 443320 times)
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #850 on: July 02, 2018, 10:14:52 PM »

In my bucket list - TV movie "Ernie Kovacs: Between The Laughter". With John Glover, Melody Anderson, Jeff Goldblum. Despite weak cast, would like to see.

2KDS: As you witness, many good actors don't get broad recognition. It's popular to say that they choose films with bad script, role doesn't fit, doesn't reveal their capabilities. Question - any actors you can list that fit this category?
« Last Edit: July 02, 2018, 11:03:56 PM by RangeRoverA1 » Logged

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
KDS
« Reply #851 on: July 03, 2018, 05:21:52 AM »

In my bucket list - TV movie "Ernie Kovacs: Between The Laughter". With John Glover, Melody Anderson, Jeff Goldblum. Despite weak cast, would like to see.

2KDS: As you witness, many good actors don't get broad recognition. It's popular to say that they choose films with bad script, role doesn't fit, doesn't reveal their capabilities. Question - any actors you can list that fit this category?

Good actors with a bad script?

Sure, let's start with Batman and Robin.   There is so much talent in that movie - Clooney, Michael Gough, Uma Thurnman, Arnold, and even bit parts from John Glover and Vivica Fox, but the movie is a trainwreck.  Clooney, thurman, and Swartzenegger are one dimensional cardboard cutout characters.   What a waste. 

Speaking of Batman, I'm not a huge Affleck fan, but I thought he was actually a good Batman, however in the terminally dull Batman V Superman. 

Along the same lines, Will Smith tried his damnedist to save Suicide Squad.

Stepping away from the Batman universe......

I know the movie got a lot of acclaim, but I didn't care for Sin City.   The novelty of the comic book look wears off about two minutes in.  I'm a big Bruce Willis fan, but I think his talent is wasted in that movie.   I think that's something more along the lines of Jason Statham territory. 

Cuba Gooding Jr, totally wasted in Pearl Harbor. 

I find Steve Carrell funny, and on paper, he should've been a good Maxwell Smart, but the movie just wasn't that funny to me.   The most memorable part of the movie was seeing Anne Hathaway in a skin tight outfit. 
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #852 on: July 03, 2018, 09:23:01 PM »

Steve Carrell's funny but do you really see Will Smith as good actor? Interesting.

Flip-side question - which film/ script did you like but kept thinking its cast is weak?

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
KDS
« Reply #853 on: July 05, 2018, 05:15:26 AM »

Steve Carrell's funny but do you really see Will Smith as good actor? Interesting.

Flip-side question - which film/ script did you like but kept thinking its cast is weak?

I do think Will Smith is a good actor.   I gained a lot of respect for him when I saw the 2007 version of I Am Legend. 

To be honest, I love Pet Sematary, but I think the lead actor who plays the main character of Dr. Creed could be better.   In general, I think a lot of the performances in that movie are a little "hammy," even from Denise Crosby and Fred Gywnne. 
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #854 on: July 05, 2018, 06:31:34 AM »

Tastes differ. "I Am Legend" didn't impress me.

Can you say the same about "Back To Future"? There's info in its Imdb page stating that Eric Stoltz could've been Marty McFly. Do you think he'd be better than Michael?

KDS
« Reply #855 on: July 05, 2018, 09:11:45 AM »

Tastes differ. "I Am Legend" didn't impress me.

Can you say the same about "Back To Future"? There's info in its Imdb page stating that Eric Stoltz could've been Marty McFly. Do you think he'd be better than Michael?

I Am Legend probably isn't my favorite movie version (that would probably be The Last Man on Earth, with Vincent Price), but I thought Smith did a great jon. 

Back to the Future is such an iconic movie franchise from my childhood, and I honestly can't picture anyone other than Michael J. Fox as Marty McFly.

Same with Tom Selleck or Tim Matheson as Indiana Jones, or John Belushi as one of the Ghostbusters. 
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #856 on: July 06, 2018, 06:04:38 AM »

John Belushi shouldn't've acted, tbh. Ditto James Belushi who I find about as funny as clean blackboard.

Since we raised this topic, here's new question - there's many screen tests by actors for this & that film around the Internet. Did you see anybody's audition that you think "This is good", "He/ she would work here", "Hm, he/ she could be interesting choice"?

KDS
« Reply #857 on: July 09, 2018, 05:48:03 AM »

John Belushi shouldn't've acted, tbh. Ditto James Belushi who I find about as funny as clean blackboard.

Since we raised this topic, here's new question - there's many screen tests by actors for this & that film around the Internet. Did you see anybody's audition that you think "This is good", "He/ she would work here", "Hm, he/ she could be interesting choice"?

I'm actually a pretty big fan of John Belushi.  I thought he was great on the early SNL years, as well as Animal House and The Blues Brothers.   Jim has made a career riding his brother's coat tails, but he was in a silly comedy with John Ritter called "Real Men" that I really like. 

The one screen test I've seen is Tom Selleck as Indiana Jones.   If you take away the fact that Harrison Ford's portrayal is so iconic, I could see Selleck playing a good Indy
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #858 on: July 09, 2018, 06:47:53 AM »

Next up - Which fictional character with powers do you like the best in films? Batman aside. Is any overrated?

KDS
« Reply #859 on: July 10, 2018, 05:25:01 AM »

Next up - Which fictional character with powers do you like the best in films? Batman aside. Is any overrated?

I guess Spiderman.   He's really the only hero outside of Batman who I kinda like. 

Personally, I find Superman overrated.   I just don't find him that interesting.   And that disguise?   Come on!!
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #860 on: July 10, 2018, 07:45:08 PM »

You're horror fan. Do you see horrors since kindergarten?

Do you agree children should be allowed to see it? My theory is parents should tell kids what they see in horrors is deception (same way they should tell kids THEY buy & put Christmas gifts in stockings & elsewhere, Santa doesn't exist, if kids disappointed - so be it, don't care, it's not big deal).

In order to prove it, they should show kids some horror film bloopers (or any film, for that matter), variou. "makings of" which demonstrate that blood is ketchup, evil faces just make-up etc. Children will realize it's not frightening to watch them, they'll find horrors fun. :D What do you think?

KDS
« Reply #861 on: July 11, 2018, 05:35:05 AM »

You're horror fan. Do you see horrors since kindergarten?

Do you agree children should be allowed to see it? My theory is parents should tell kids what they see in horrors is deception (same way they should tell kids THEY buy & put Christmas gifts in stockings & elsewhere, Santa doesn't exist, if kids disappointed - so be it, don't care, it's not big deal).

In order to prove it, they should show kids some horror film bloopers (or any film, for that matter), variou. "makings of" which demonstrate that blood is ketchup, evil faces just make-up etc. Children will realize it's not frightening to watch them, they'll find horrors fun. :D What do you think?

I don't remember how young I was when I first watched a horror movie.   I do remember seeing the Garfield Halloween Adventure at the age of 5, and I really think that helped get me into horror.   There's also an old Mickey Mouse short called Haunted House that I recently rediscovered which I saw at a young age. 

I think I was 7 or 8 when I first saw the Universal Dracula.   That might've been the first.   I also saw the Nightmare on Elm St movies, Halloween, and Jaws around 8. 

I think it depends on the movie itself and what you think a child can take.   If my son covers his eyes at a Halloween cartoon, I'm probably going to wait to expose him to horror movies.    And, certain movies like Hostel, which show a lot of sex and torture, I probably wouldn't show him until he's at least in his teens.   
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #862 on: July 11, 2018, 09:30:22 AM »

I'd seen "Elm Street" at 5-6. Liked Freddy Krueger, disliked victims.

If my son covers his eyes at a Halloween cartoon, I'm probably going to wait to expose him to horror movies.
If hypothetical child did that, I'd figure he/ she is pansy, plain & simple.

And, certain movies like Hostel, which show a lot of sex and torture, I probably wouldn't show him until he's at least in his teens.
Ofc not. Besides, it's not horror if it shows laughable boring as hell scenes. Real horror film by definition should be fright start to finish. Which brings question - do you accept horror parody? We discussed before "Loaded Weapon" - in comedy it makes sense but the idea to parody horror is stupid beyond, it's illogical to do in the 1st place.

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #863 on: July 11, 2018, 11:32:43 AM »

If my son covers his eyes at a Halloween cartoon, I'm probably going to wait to expose him to horror movies.

And, certain movies like Hostel, which show a lot of sex and torture, I probably wouldn't show him until he's at least in his teens.
Ofc not. Besides, it's not horror if it shows laughable boring as hell scenes. Real horror film by definition should be fright start to finish. Which brings question - do you accept horror parody? We discussed before "Loaded Weapon" - in comedy it makes sense but the idea to parody horror is stupid beyond, it's illogical to do in the 1st place.

Are you aware that "pansy" is a derogatory word for a male homosexual and is considered offensive? Just bringing that to your attention as you may not know...
« Last Edit: July 11, 2018, 11:34:40 AM by ♩♬☮ Billy C ♯♫♩☮ » Logged

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
KDS
« Reply #864 on: July 11, 2018, 12:34:38 PM »

If my son is a little frightened of a cartoon with some scary images as a kindergartener, that doesn't make him a pansy, that makes him a five year old kid.   Plain and simple.   

I think you'll find very few horror movies that are straight horror / scares all the way through.   So, Hostel is very much a horror movie, even if it fails your idea of what horror is. 

The idea of horror comedy is far from stupid or illogical.   No genre is above parody.   And there's nothing wrong with putting some humor in a horror movie, and mixing the two. 
NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."

View Profile
« Reply #865 on: July 11, 2018, 12:39:56 PM »

I saw a wonderful documentary at a theater yesterday. It's "Won't You Be My Neighbor;"  those in the U.S. recognizing that as the ending of the opening song for the long time children's TV program, Mr Roger's Neighborhood. Mr Rogers was Fred Rogers.
The documentary showed Rogers' interaction with children and his advocacy for them. It seems to strike a chord with audiences - I've read multiple articles of how grown people are reduced to tears. That was definitely the case when I went; sniffling and nose blowing were the order of the day.
I totally lost it when Daniel Striped Tiger sang "Am I A Mistake?" During my adolescence I often thought that I was a  "mistake". Anyway, I think the tears shed were cathartic.

"No White Flags." - Team Gleason

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon

"The best thing you can be 'like' in music is yourself." Dr. John
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #866 on: July 11, 2018, 01:18:22 PM »

If my son is a little frightened of a cartoon with some scary images as a kindergartener, that doesn't make him a pansy, that makes him a five year old kid.   Plain and simple.   

I think you'll find very few horror movies that are straight horror / scares all the way through.   So, Hostel is very much a horror movie, even if it fails your idea of what horror is. 

The idea of horror comedy is far from stupid or illogical.   No genre is above parody.   And there's nothing wrong with putting some humor in a horror movie, and mixing the two. 

100% agreed.

And I'd agree that Hostel is more of a true horror movie than others in the genre.

As an aside, my daughter (she'll be 11 on Monday!) is obsessed with horror movies

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #867 on: July 11, 2018, 04:28:19 PM »

2Billy: Well, that's new to me. I read in synonyms dictionary that pansy is the same as coward. Looks like it's not credible dictionary. Thanks to clarify. & thanks to nitpick my posts to find sth. bad in them to paint me homophobic. Roll Eyes

2KDS: I didn't say anything about your son. I believe I said "hypothetical child". As in if I had kid in alternate universe scenario, I'd think she or he is coward/ easily scared. I'd judge that kid strictly, as I as kid didn't get scared, could see horror movies just fine. But, I don't know ANYthing about children's psychology. What the average 5-year-old kid is like etc. I figured kids differ.

I'd seen "Hostel", it's definitely not my idea of horror. As you said, it's got various indecent scenes. To me, it ruins the horror, it stops being horror. & I didn't say anything about horror comedy which got right to exist. I talked about horror parody. It's different thing.

Next 2 KDS - What can you say about this year's  movies? Did you see anything/ do you plan to see? Liked anything?

Buckethead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #868 on: July 11, 2018, 04:41:33 PM »

I think that an excellent example of movies that mix horrot and humor would be 'Motel Hell."
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #869 on: July 11, 2018, 04:59:26 PM »

A couple weeks ago, I began watching Game of Thrones. I'd only ever seen a few minutes of one episode before (not having HBO or caring to look into the show), but after so many people saying it was worth the effort, I did eventually, finally give it a shot. I'm well into season two at the moment. I must say, it is pretty good, even though I'm generally lukewarm on "knights-and-dragons" kinds of stories. But I wonder whether I'll still be interested after three, four, five, six, however many seasons.

I just got notification that Hulu has season two of Harlots online now, as well. I thought that was a very good show, and will get around to S2 sooner or later.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #870 on: July 11, 2018, 05:03:30 PM »

2Billy: Well, that's new to me. I read in synonyms dictionary that pansy is the same as coward. Looks like it's not credible dictionary. Thanks to clarify. & thanks to nitpick my posts to find sth. bad in them to paint me homophobic. Roll Eyes

Did not call you homophobic nor did I nitpick. I got more than one complaint which is why I checked it out in the first place. Webster’s dictionary will back me up. it is indeed used as a slur against a gay male or one that is “effeminate “. I figured you didn’t realize it which is why I pointed it out rather than take any action .

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #871 on: July 11, 2018, 05:37:34 PM »

Do posters complain just about my posts or the other posters' posts too? What's funnier, you say you got "more than one complaint" yet you don't see anybody except basically me & KDS posting here.

Next time, tell people who complain you about sth. I said to voice complaints right here, directly to me. We'll work it out.

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #872 on: July 11, 2018, 06:54:24 PM »

Do posters complain just about my posts or the other posters' posts too? What's funnier, you say you got "more than one complaint" yet you don't see anybody except basically me & KDS posting here.

Next time, tell people who complain you about sth. I said to voice complaints right here, directly to me. We'll work it out.

More read this thread than have posted...as a moderator I view threads that I don't post in, and others do the same. And the report to moderator function is and will remain anonymous ..if they do not want to voice it publicly that is their right.

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #873 on: July 11, 2018, 07:55:13 PM »

I see.

In case complainers didn't catch previous post - I didn't know & couldn't imagine that pansy is insulting way to address gay. I sometimes use table & pocket dictionaries to use different words, not banal same popular words everybody uses. I suppose to brag my vocabulary baggage, that I discovered many fancy words. In Synonyms Dictionary dated 1963, the word coward listed various words, including pansy. That's why I used it. If you see the context in which I said this notorious word - "he/ she is pansy" - it clearly backs up what right now I care typing out. I.e. didn't know it meant sth. bad.

I never said anything insulting towards minority groups (I think you call them). I'm fine with them & don't look at them any different than anybody. I'm too apathetic to care who's gay-not gay, lives with 5 wives/ husbands as harem (sp?), what skin color people got etc. when I talk in daily basis with various people in various social situations. I couldn't've written pansy with gays in mind.

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #874 on: July 11, 2018, 07:59:53 PM »

Right, and I figured as much, which is why I informed you. I did it publicly so one could see that you meant no offense. If I thought you actually meant it in a bad way it definitely would’ve went down a different road

Edit. A dictionary from 1963?! Ohh yeah things have definitely changed since then!
« Last Edit: July 11, 2018, 08:01:17 PM by ♩♬☮ Billy C ♯♫♩☮ » Logged

Pages: 1 ... 30 31 32 33 34 [35] 36 37 38 39 40 ... 56   Go Up
Print
Jump to: