-->
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:36:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News: peteramescarlin.com
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  The Smiley Smile Message Board
|-+  Non Smiley Smile Stuff
| |-+  The Sandbox
| | |-+  What are you watching now?/Favourite Movie of the Moment
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 31 32 33 [34] 35 36 37 38 39 ... 56   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: What are you watching now?/Favourite Movie of the Moment  (Read 443146 times)
KDS
« Reply #825 on: June 07, 2018, 09:16:43 AM »

"Clerks" shouldn't be made.
What's your bottom line - like/ dislike the idea? You didn't tell.

Do you like whodunits? Spaghetti westerns? Film noir? Name best film for 3 named categories.

Clerks shouldn't be made?   It was made, and spawned a movie universe that includes five other movies.   

I'm fine with the idea.    As a fan of Clerks, there's no reason to not like the idea.   If somebody gets a movie made that I don't want to see, I'll just not see it. 

In general, I'm not really into whodunits, westerns, or film noir, so I couldn't possibly give you best films for either. 
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #826 on: June 07, 2018, 04:33:01 PM »

Clerks shouldn't be made?   It was made, and spawned a movie universe that includes five other movies.
It's my way of saying I despise "Clerks". Little exaggeration for effect.

Fun question time - imagine if Burton et al didn't make "Batman". Who would be your Batman, Penguin, Joker, Catwoman, Harvey 2-Face, Enigma, Ivy, Mr. Freeze? Mine would be respectively Matt McCoy, Bob Goldthwaite, G.W. Bailey, Kim Cattrall, Howard Hesseman, Michael Winslow, Janet Jones, Doug Lennox (using actors who were cast at some point in "Police Academy" franchise).

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #827 on: June 07, 2018, 05:46:18 PM »

In different news, checked U.S. TV show "Laverne & Shirley". Each ep being short, finished 1st Season in single week. It's filled with funny lines & physical humor. I think Laverne is funnier than Shirley. Speaking of, Cindy Williams has such cute face that everytime I see Shirley, I really want to turn up her snub nose 360 degrees. & those dimples. :D Liked Lenny & Squiggy & Mr. DeFazio as well. Didn't like Carmine & Fonzie. When Youtube is fast again, maybe I'll check the next Season. Btw, what's the matter with the intro? It/ typeface looks cheap, theme song doesn't fit either. It's got big industrial city vibe to it.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #828 on: June 07, 2018, 06:09:46 PM »

I think with respect to the intro, keep in mind that the show was from the mid-1970s: the "cheap" look wasn't unusual for programs of that time, it was just a lower-technology time. And the theme song was one of female empowerment, which was a political issue at the time ('70s) and fit the plot of two single working women (rare in the '50s).

Re "big industrial city vibe," it was meant to be in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. Which is to say that was a (somewhat) big, industrial city at the time the show portrayed, the postwar industrial era of the late '50s.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
KDS
« Reply #829 on: June 08, 2018, 05:34:19 AM »

It's my way of saying I despise "Clerks". Little exaggeration for effect.

Fun question time - imagine if Burton et al didn't make "Batman". Who would be your Batman, Penguin, Joker, Catwoman, Harvey 2-Face, Enigma, Ivy, Mr. Freeze? Mine would be respectively Matt McCoy, Bob Goldthwaite, G.W. Bailey, Kim Cattrall, Howard Hesseman, Michael Winslow, Janet Jones, Doug Lennox (using actors who were cast at some point in "Police Academy" franchise).

A Batman universe with Police Academy actors.   That's actually somewhat intriguing. 

For my money, the two Burton movies featured pin perfect casting, but if I had to cast a dream Batman universe:

Batman / Bruce Wayne - Tom Mison (Ichabad Crane from the Sleepy Hollow TV show)
Alfred - Hugh Laurie
Joker - Johnny Depp
Penguin - Alfred Molina
Catwoman - Morena Baccarin
Harvey Dent / Two Face - Clayne Crawford (recently fired from the Lethal Weapon TV show)
Com. Gordon - Bruce Willis or Harrison Ford
Riddler - Steve Carrell
Ivy - Emma Stone
Freeze - Liam Hemsworth
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #830 on: June 08, 2018, 03:29:33 PM »

2the captain: Thanks, I shall bear all that in mind.

2KDS: The cast is perfect indeed. I should've prefaced with it. Tbh, I think Johnny Depp's versatility is way overstated. Molina & Emma Stone - good picks. Emma's got chops to be great actress in future. Still young. About music - who'd be your choice if not Danny Elfman?

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #831 on: June 09, 2018, 03:20:33 AM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7pzKyeIex2Y

« Last Edit: June 09, 2018, 03:23:31 AM by JK » Logged

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
KDS
« Reply #832 on: June 11, 2018, 05:33:36 AM »

2the captain: Thanks, I shall bear all that in mind.

2KDS: The cast is perfect indeed. I should've prefaced with it. Tbh, I think Johnny Depp's versatility is way overstated. Molina & Emma Stone - good picks. Emma's got chops to be great actress in future. Still young. About music - who'd be your choice if not Danny Elfman?

Danny Elfman's score of the original Batman is, IMO, his greatest film work.   

But, if I were doing a dream Batman movie, I suppose I'd select John Williams. 
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #833 on: June 11, 2018, 06:10:51 AM »

Why him?

List Top 3 favorite film composers. Danny Elfman, then who?

KDS
« Reply #834 on: June 11, 2018, 06:54:45 AM »

Why him?

List Top 3 favorite film composers. Danny Elfman, then who?

John Williams is probably top for me.   He's done iconic work for Indiana Jones, Superman, Home Alone, Star Wars, and best of all, Jaws. 

Then, Elfman. 

Then, probably Bill Conti or John Carpenter. 
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #835 on: June 11, 2018, 07:14:45 PM »

Robert Folk ("Police Academy")
Elmer Bernstein ("To Kill A Mockingbird", "Airplane")
Bill Conti ("Harry & Tonto", "Rocky")

Williams is good but the titles above feature, to my ears, the best music in film industry. To get the fun question funner - if you're cast in "Batman", who'd you like to play?

KDS
« Reply #836 on: June 12, 2018, 05:15:19 AM »

Robert Folk ("Police Academy")
Elmer Bernstein ("To Kill A Mockingbird", "Airplane")
Bill Conti ("Harry & Tonto", "Rocky")

Williams is good but the titles above feature, to my ears, the best music in film industry. To get the fun question funner - if you're cast in "Batman", who'd you like to play?

Oddly enough, I found out yesterday that John Williams was at the Orioles / Red Sox game in my hometown of Baltimore and threw out the first pitch.   Had I known that, I might've bought a ticket to the game.

If I were cast in a Batman movie, I'd want to play a small role, perhaps the reporter Alexander Knox, who was expertly played by character actor Robert Wuhl in the Tim Burton movie. 

Bernstein is a good choice.   He did Stripes and Ghostbusters as well.   
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #837 on: June 16, 2018, 05:50:44 PM »

Since we discuss "Batman", did you like Robin? Do you think they shouldn't film this DC character? Would you say that they should stick with Batman series when he doesn't meet Robin?

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #838 on: June 17, 2018, 03:23:47 PM »

I just heard of and began watching The Man in the High Castle, which is on Amazon. It is based on a novel by Philip K Dick (which I have not read or heard of) in which the Axis won WWII and so the US was divided between Nazi Germany (East Coast and Midwest) and Japan (West Coast), with a neutral territory in the Rockies. The storyline begins in the early '60s.

After just over one episode, I'm really enjoying it. There are two seasons. I'm not sure whether it's ongoing or that's all there is. But based on just that first 75 minutes or so that I've seen, I highly recommend it.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
B.E.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #839 on: June 17, 2018, 06:18:34 PM »

I just heard of and began watching The Man in the High Castle, which is on Amazon. It is based on a novel by Philip K Dick (which I have not read or heard of) in which the Axis won WWII and so the US was divided between Nazi Germany (East Coast and Midwest) and Japan (West Coast), with a neutral territory in the Rockies. The storyline begins in the early '60s.

After just over one episode, I'm really enjoying it. There are two seasons. I'm not sure whether it's ongoing or that's all there is. But based on just that first 75 minutes or so that I've seen, I highly recommend it.

I recommend it as well. I've been waiting 18 months for season 3 (which is happening). It's been so long since I finished season 2 that I can't comment on the details, I just remember enjoying it immensely. I've been waiting for a 3rd season release date before re-watching seasons 1 and 2. I'm really looking forward to it.

Between seasons 1 and  2 of The Man In The High Castle, Hulu released an 8-episode miniseries 11.22.63. I loved that as well. Not that everyone who enjoys one show will enjoy the other, of course, but there's enough of a similarity that I thought I'd mention it. Both shows really captured my imagination.

Every wave is new until it breaks.
KDS
« Reply #840 on: June 18, 2018, 05:25:19 AM »

Since we discuss "Batman", did you like Robin? Do you think they shouldn't film this DC character? Would you say that they should stick with Batman series when he doesn't meet Robin?

Overall, I prefer Batman without Robin.  However, I think the character works well in the 1960s show with Adam West and Burt Ward.   Robin also appeared in several episodes of the classic 1990s Batman the Animated Series.   

However, I didn't much care for him in the Batman movies.    Of course, I think his character would've been handled better had Tim Burton remained in the driver's seat of that franchise.   
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #841 on: June 19, 2018, 04:31:19 PM »

You seem to be Burton fan. Did you buy DVD collection with Burton films? Which is favorite? F.ex. did you like the new "Alice In Wonderland"? I didn't.

KDS
« Reply #842 on: June 20, 2018, 05:37:17 AM »

You seem to be Burton fan. Did you buy DVD collection with Burton films? Which is favorite? F.ex. did you like the new "Alice In Wonderland"? I didn't.

My love of Tim Burton movies seems to end around the turn of the century.   

I love Pee Wee's Big Adventure, Beetlejuice, Edward Scissorhands, The Nightmare Before Christmas (which he wrote, but didn't direct), and Sleepy Hollow.   My favorite movie of his is Batman, followed by Batman Returns. 

I thought his version of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory was decent.   The first Alice in Wonderland was OK, but overall, I wasn't really a big fan.   The sequel, with I don't think he did, was dreadful. 
Gettin Hungry
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #843 on: June 21, 2018, 09:44:07 AM »

I too pretty much checked out in the early 2000s. To me Big Fish is his last good movie.

I love Ed Wood, Mars Attacks and Beetlejuice. And of course Batman (which was the first home movie I ever owned).
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #844 on: June 27, 2018, 07:47:27 AM »

2KDS: Interesting you say Tim's "Factory" is decent - it's boring beyond imo, casting Depp billion times didn't help either. Tbh, Tim's directing style, visuals isn't preferred cup of tea.

New question - we discussed best directors. Whose films would you cite to tend to be generally bad? List worst directors.

KDS
« Reply #845 on: June 27, 2018, 09:01:33 AM »

2KDS: Interesting you say Tim's "Factory" is decent - it's boring beyond imo, casting Depp billion times didn't help either. Tbh, Tim's directing style, visuals isn't preferred cup of tea.

New question - we discussed best directors. Whose films would you cite to tend to be generally bad? List worst directors.

I think Burton's style worked well visually for the Willy Wonka movie.   I just think Gene Wilder's take on the Willy Wonka character was so iconic, that it's impossible to top. 

Worst directors?   Michael Bay immediately comes to mind.   I liked Armageddon, but his direction really hurts the movie IMO, which constant cuts and camera movements.   Pearl Harbor was a joke. 

I'm not a Wes Anderson fan.   I don't get it.   I find his movies to be perpetually dull.   Steve Zissou was only watchable thanks for Bill Murray, and it's not really watch a second watch IMO. 
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #846 on: June 28, 2018, 07:57:55 PM »

I think Burton's style worked well visually for the Willy Wonka movie.   I just think Gene Wilder's take on the Willy Wonka character was so iconic, that it's impossible to top. 

Worst directors?   Michael Bay immediately comes to mind.   I liked Armageddon, but his direction really hurts the movie IMO, which constant cuts and camera movements.   Pearl Harbor was a joke. 

I'm not a Wes Anderson fan.   I don't get it.   I find his movies to be perpetually dull.   Steve Zissou was only watchable thanks for Bill Murray, and it's not really watch a second watch IMO. 
Maybe there but I frankly meant general dislike regardingTim Burton's visuals.

Agree re: "Pearl" & Wes Anderson. Zzzzzzz.

Way back, we discussed which movies you see in summer & winter. Is there specific movie you see in spring, fall?

KDS
« Reply #847 on: June 29, 2018, 06:31:39 AM »

Maybe there but I frankly meant general dislike regardingTim Burton's visuals.

Agree re: "Pearl" & Wes Anderson. Zzzzzzz.

Way back, we discussed which movies you see in summer & winter. Is there specific movie you see in spring, fall?

I don't really have any movies I watch specifically in the spring.   For Fall, there's a few I like to watch for Halloween, including Halloween (John Carpenter's 1978 original), Trick R Treat, and House of 1000 Corpses. 
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #848 on: June 29, 2018, 07:28:07 AM »

Which famous films everybody & their brother praise you didn't get yet to see & wish to? F.ex. you told before "American Graffiti". Which else?

KDS
« Reply #849 on: June 29, 2018, 08:37:03 AM »

Which famous films everybody & their brother praise you didn't get yet to see & wish to? F.ex. you told before "American Graffiti". Which else?

About ten years ago, I actually made up a bucket list of movies I wanted to watch at some point.   But, I have no idea what I did with it, or what I put on it. 

There are a few older comedies I'd like to watch somebody

Easy Money
Men at Work
Brewster's Millions
Silver Streak

I'd like to watch That Thing You Do at some point also. 
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 31 32 33 [34] 35 36 37 38 39 ... 56   Go Up
Print
Jump to: