-->
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:34:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News: peteramescarlin.com
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  The Smiley Smile Message Board
|-+  Non Smiley Smile Stuff
| |-+  The Sandbox
| | |-+  What are you watching now?/Favourite Movie of the Moment
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 29 30 31 [32] 33 34 35 36 37 ... 56   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: What are you watching now?/Favourite Movie of the Moment  (Read 443124 times)
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #775 on: April 26, 2018, 06:35:17 AM »

We began season 2 of Handmaid’s Tale last night. Everything this season is beyond what the book included, so it’s interesting how they imagine new plots in Atwood’s world. But through the first two episodes, I am less excited and impressed than I was with the first, book-centric season. It’s still worth watching, though.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #776 on: April 30, 2018, 05:17:41 AM »

Most big screen movies actually go to DVD / On Demand before they air on TV.   They'll air on premium channels first, then make their way onto basic channels.   

There's a lot of modern comedic actors that do nothing for me - Jimmy Fallon, Dane Cook, Melissa McCarthy, Adam Goldberg, Sarah Silverman, etc.   I just don't find them funny in the least bit. 
Not familiar with these but, you said Jimmy Fallon? To me he's the best show host today, definitely better than Conan O'Brien & Graham Norton. He's very likeable, I really like his speaking style.

New question - some films due to time reasons end with voice telling what will be with heroes in future, with pictures showing it, short footnote etc. Tell any film when you thought you'd like the ending to be cut into real scenes.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
KDS
« Reply #777 on: April 30, 2018, 05:23:55 AM »

Most big screen movies actually go to DVD / On Demand before they air on TV.   They'll air on premium channels first, then make their way onto basic channels.   

There's a lot of modern comedic actors that do nothing for me - Jimmy Fallon, Dane Cook, Melissa McCarthy, Adam Goldberg, Sarah Silverman, etc.   I just don't find them funny in the least bit. 
Not familiar with these but, you said Jimmy Fallon? To me he's the best show host today, definitely better than Conan O'Brien & Graham Norton. He's very likeable, I really like his speaking style.

New question - some films due to time reasons end with voice telling what will be with heroes in future, with pictures showing it, short footnote etc. Tell any film when you thought you'd like the ending to be cut into real scenes.

To each their own.   I've never liked Fallon, ever his SNL days.    The next time he makes me laugh would be the first.

As for the movies with epilogues at the end, I tend to think that they're better off leaving the characters' fates to the imagination.   For example, Senator Blutarski at the end of Animal House leaves such a funny image to me that any attempt to film it, would ruin the charm. 

KDS
« Reply #778 on: April 30, 2018, 06:08:52 AM »

Actually, I thought of one that I think was a real missed opportunity for a music video. 

At the end of Fast Times at Ridgemont High, the epilogue states that Jeff Spicoli (Sean Penn) spend his financial windfall having Van Halen play a party for him.   That would've made for a great Van Halen music video to have the guys playing for a party with the whole Fast Times cast
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #779 on: April 30, 2018, 06:34:17 AM »

OK example.

Do you think it's lame when the film goes throughout with narrator's voice? To me, it doesn't add anything regardless what the film's about, what times it's set in etc. It's just...there. Really hate it in films. You?

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
KDS
« Reply #780 on: April 30, 2018, 06:39:56 AM »

OK example.

Do you think it's lame when the film goes throughout with narrator's voice? To me, it doesn't add anything regardless what the film's about, what times it's set in etc. It's just...there. Really hate it in films. You?

I don't mind it in films, especially if the movie is told in flashback, such as A Christmas Story, Stand By Me, and The Sandlot.   In those cases, the narration adds little details about the characters and situations that wouldn't be able to be addressed.   And, the narration can add some great commentary to a scene. 

For example in A Christmas Story, after the old man's leg lamo is destroyed

Narrator (Adult Ralphie) - (Paraphrasing).   The old man was fuming.   He was searching for just the right thing to say, a real scorcher.   But all he got out was.......

The Old Man: Not a finger!!!

That line by the father wouldn't be nearly as funny without the intro by the narrator. 
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #781 on: May 01, 2018, 04:34:05 AM »

Hey I like "A Christmas Story"! Ralphie is adorable child & cuter than button with good dose of mischief. The film is funny alright, without narration. Mother/ father, Ralphie's little brother, evil elf girl, evil Santa - they're all funny without narration. Many things that narrators say in films, esp. as you said "commentary to a scene", when you hear 'em, you know that, when the character says sth. after the narration, it's precisely what was in said character's brains, why he/ she said it.

To bring you the other example, when Ralphie makes mistake by saying what he really wishes to get as Christmas gift, he quickly realizes it & makes sad face. Parent lecture. We see Ralphie thinking about sth., by the looks of it he's got some plan to correct the mistake. The narrator/ adult Ralphie tells us what he thought about. Then we hear Ralphie at last saying "Hehe, I was just kidding. [...]". & it's clear that indeed, he'd been thinking up better strategy to get that gift. Bottom line - the narration didn't add anything we couldn't figure out easily or later anyway. Same thing you can see in "Home Alone" - when Kevin thinks about planning to play trick, it's plain to see in his face.

Ditto the other narration types, when the narrator tells us what they think about the views in this or that city they arrived, did they adjust to it, the character traits' descriptions they give to people they got acquainted with during the film, their 1st impressions of them etc. - to me, it's not important. I like when it's straight dialogs/ polilogs, when I see & hear the characters talk with the other characters. Not the mind stuff. Not the hindsight, recollections they say whilst narrating & scenes of the past showing etc. I'd rather figure this whilst seeing body language, mannerisms, mimicry & speech ofc.

KDS
« Reply #782 on: May 01, 2018, 06:24:26 AM »

Hey I like "A Christmas Story"! Ralphie is adorable child & cuter than button with good dose of mischief. The film is funny alright, without narration. Mother/ father, Ralphie's little brother, evil elf girl, evil Santa - they're all funny without narration. Many things that narrators say in films, esp. as you said "commentary to a scene", when you hear 'em, you know that, when the character says sth. after the narration, it's precisely what was in said character's brains, why he/ she said it.

To bring you the other example, when Ralphie makes mistake by saying what he really wishes to get as Christmas gift, he quickly realizes it & makes sad face. Parent lecture. We see Ralphie thinking about sth., by the looks of it he's got some plan to correct the mistake. The narrator/ adult Ralphie tells us what he thought about. Then we hear Ralphie at last saying "Hehe, I was just kidding. [...]". & it's clear that indeed, he'd been thinking up better strategy to get that gift. Bottom line - the narration didn't add anything we couldn't figure out easily or later anyway. Same thing you can see in "Home Alone" - when Kevin thinks about planning to play trick, it's plain to see in his face.

Ditto the other narration types, when the narrator tells us what they think about the views in this or that city they arrived, did they adjust to it, the character traits' descriptions they give to people they got acquainted with during the film, their 1st impressions of them etc. - to me, it's not important. I like when it's straight dialogs/ polilogs, when I see & hear the characters talk with the other characters. Not the mind stuff. Not the hindsight, recollections they say whilst narrating & scenes of the past showing etc. I'd rather figure this whilst seeing body language, mannerisms, mimicry & speech ofc.

We'll have to agree to disagree then, because I don't think A Christmas Story would be the same movie at all without Jean Sheppard's narration.   
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #783 on: May 01, 2018, 09:43:53 PM »

We'll have to agree to disagree then, because I don't think A Christmas Story would be the same movie at all without Jean Sheppard's narration.   
Yes, we definitely disagree there.

Since you like narration, did you think seeing specific movie without it that it should be done with it? Any titles?

KDS
« Reply #784 on: May 02, 2018, 06:54:06 AM »

Yes, we definitely disagree there.

Since you like narration, did you think seeing specific movie without it that it should be done with it? Any titles?

None that I can think of off hand, but I'd have to give it some thought. 
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #785 on: May 02, 2018, 06:16:27 PM »

Sure.

In some site, Stephen Tobolowsky is dubbed king of episodes. Did you see anybody with little screen time & think it's highlight? Top 3.

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #786 on: May 03, 2018, 02:28:07 AM »

Just for fun, checked 3 "Little Women" films to compare - 1933, 1949, 1994. Broadly speaking, favorite is the 1st. By characters:

Best "tomboy sister" Jo - Katherine Hepburn in 1933. That said, June Allyson's 1949 Jo is cheeky, cool, boisterous, positive, great laughter & voice. Liked the way she said "Ha!".
Best "beautiful oldest sister" Meg - each girl's pretty but due to the detailed 1994 version, Trini Alvarado's Meg is better fleshed out.
Best "quiet sensitive sister" Beth - Claire Danes (1994) but all 3 did really well.
Best "selfish youngest sis" Amy - I'd say Liz Taylor (1949). She played this role at 17 & charmingly playfully at that. Joan Bennett (1933) ain't too shabby either.
Best Marmee - Spring Byington (1933). The mother embodiment.
Best house maiden Hannah - nobody sticks out. That said, like the 1949 lady less.
Best March girls' friend Laurie - Douglass Montgomery (1933). Didn't like Peter Lawford & Christian Bale (1949 & 1994 respectively). Douglass' Laurie is mischievous. The other 2 got less punk attitude, too weak, esp. Bale.
Best Professor Bhaer - definitely the 1933 guy (should check the name).
Best rich old lady Aunt March - just like Hannah, nobody sticks out. That said, like the 1994 lady less.
Best rich old man Mr. Laurence - again, like Hannah & Aunt March, nobody's better or worse. That said, like the 1933 guy less. Even if he fit the strict-faced that can scare description the best.
Best Mr. Brooks, Laurie's teacher & Meg's beau - the 1933 is likeable, gallant type. The 1949 Brooks is laughably bad acting, as if they picked smb. straight from the street to play him.
Best father March - tiny presence in each film. The 1933, maybe.

KDS
« Reply #787 on: May 03, 2018, 05:42:06 AM »

Sure.

In some site, Stephen Tobolowsky is dubbed king of episodes. Did you see anybody with little screen time & think it's highlight? Top 3.

The obvious answer is Anthony Hopkins as Hannibal Lecter in Silence of the Lambs.   I think he's on screen for just over 10 minutes in the two hour movie. 

A bit more obscure, the movie Adventureland, which is basically a crap movie with Kristen Stewart and Jesse Eisenberg as two mopey teens.   But, Bill Hader's brief role makes the movie salvageable. 

Speaking of Jesse Eisenberg movies that end in "land," the FAR superior Zombieland features a brilliant cameo from Bill Murray, and it's easily the funniest thing he's done since 1996's Kingpin.  And, no I don't count his roles in Wes Anderson movies (is there a director out there who is better at perfectly filming boredom?). 
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #788 on: May 08, 2018, 11:22:47 PM »

Next question - who did you like that switched the gender to play in movie? Pretending to be guy/ girl (Mrs. Doubtfire) & gender swap by magic isn't accepted. What fits the question - case in point - John Travolta in "Hairspray", Cate Blanchett in "I'm Not There".

KDS
« Reply #789 on: May 09, 2018, 06:07:26 AM »

Next question - who did you like that switched the gender to play in movie? Pretending to be guy/ girl (Mrs. Doubtfire) & gender swap by magic isn't accepted. What fits the question - case in point - John Travolta in "Hairspray", Cate Blanchett in "I'm Not There".

The only one I can think of off hand is when Michael J Fox played Marty McFly's teenage daughter in the 2015 sequence in Back to the Future Part II. 
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #790 on: May 09, 2018, 04:58:18 PM »

Ha! He played girl very well, looked like cute sporty muscly girl. :D

Would like to get back to this question, in case you prepared the answer - "Since you like narration, did you think seeing specific movie without it that it should be done with it? Any titles?"

There's game 6 degrees to Kevin Bacon. Just for fun, write down degrees. I'll start - Kevin Bacon played with Tom Hanks (1) who likes George Harrison (2) who used to be in Beatles with Paul McCartney (3) who played short "we swapped each other's British/ American accents!" joke with Jimmy Fallon (4) whose guest was Jim Carrey (5) who made hilarious Kevin Bacon (6) parody at Johnny Carson show.

KDS
« Reply #791 on: May 10, 2018, 05:29:53 AM »

Ha! He played girl very well, looked like cute sporty muscly girl. :D

Would like to get back to this question, in case you prepared the answer - "Since you like narration, did you think seeing specific movie without it that it should be done with it? Any titles?"

There's game 6 degrees to Kevin Bacon. Just for fun, write down degrees. I'll start - Kevin Bacon played with Tom Hanks (1) who likes George Harrison (2) who used to be in Beatles with Paul McCartney (3) who played short "we swapped each other's British/ American accents!" joke with Jimmy Fallon (4) whose guest was Jim Carrey (5) who made hilarious Kevin Bacon (6) parody at Johnny Carson show.

I still don't have an example of movies that should have narration.   BUT, I remember an example of a movie that does have narration that shouldn't.   1981's The Incredible Shrinking Woman

(WARNING - SPOILERS)

In the movie, the titular character offers some narration as she dwindles in size from average size woman to doll size.    At the end of the movie, she appears to shrink into nothingness.   Of course, it turns out, in microscopic form, she falls into some household products that restore her to normal size.   But, her false death is kind of ruined by the fact that she was narrating the movie.   So, unless the audience knows that she's narrating from beyond the grave, it makes it fairly obvious that she didn't die.   Although the tone of the movie also suggests the death of the title character was highly unlikely. 

Kevin Bacon and Boris Karloff

1.  Kevin Bacon was in Animal House with John Belushi

2.   John Belushi was in Goin South with Jack Nicholson

3.  Jack Nicholson was in The Raven with Boris Karloff. 
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #792 on: May 11, 2018, 06:12:05 AM »

Best shrinking film is 1958 science fiction b&w "Attack Of The Puppet People". Check it.

Who would fit to play villain but didn't? Who would you like to see in positive role but usually plays baddies?

KDS
« Reply #793 on: May 11, 2018, 10:09:12 AM »

Best shrinking film is 1958 science fiction b&w "Attack Of The Puppet People". Check it.

Who would fit to play villain but didn't? Who would you like to see in positive role but usually plays baddies?

I saw bits and pieces of Attack of the Puppet People

Rainn Wilson plays mostly protagonists, even if he character tended to be antagonistic at time.    He's apparently on board to play Lex Luthor in future DC movies.   That should be interesting. 

Since Mel Gibson has been villified in real life, why not cast him as a villain in reel life?

I'd have to think about type cast villains who I'd like to see play a good guy
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #794 on: May 13, 2018, 08:19:08 AM »

Couldn't you see it fully?

Did you by now? police

Do you agree film industry without ANY awards would be better? Isn't salary & praises/ positive reviews in movie magazines big deal anyway, the awards will collect dust in shelves. But, looks like showing in ritzy gowns & suits & pseudo-joy seeing the other people winning is really important, ha.

KDS
« Reply #795 on: May 14, 2018, 06:45:40 AM »

Couldn't you see it fully?

Did you by now? police

Do you agree film industry without ANY awards would be better? Isn't salary & praises/ positive reviews in movie magazines big deal anyway, the awards will collect dust in shelves. But, looks like showing in ritzy gowns & suits & pseudo-joy seeing the other people winning is really important, ha.

I caught some of Attack of the Puppet People years ago on television, but I was never really motivated to seek it out to watch the whole thing. 

No, I haven't really thought of any villian actors I'd like to see play a good person.

I think you can say the same about music too, as the Grammies are a big joke.   But, the award shows are really just an event for the stoking of egos, and completely unnecessary.   Some people enjoy them, as they're into watching celebrities.   Personally, I think it's a bore. 
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #796 on: May 18, 2018, 06:47:44 AM »

Oh god--I can't get enough of this party scene from the 2013 filming of The Great Gatsby:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMsacoc9DnQ

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #797 on: May 21, 2018, 04:17:32 AM »

2KDS, new question - Do you think adding background laughs in TV is really stupid? Do they bring use? Does the crew think people too dumb to get when characters say funny lines & give these "laughing clues"? Roll Eyes

KDS
« Reply #798 on: May 21, 2018, 05:59:25 AM »

2KDS, new question - Do you think adding background laughs in TV is really stupid? Do they bring use? Does the crew think people too dumb to get when characters say funny lines & give these "laughing clues"? Roll Eyes

I do think that the canned laughter is a somewhat antiquated part of TV comedy, and many successful comedies of the last several years have gotten away from it, most notably the single camera shows like The Office or Modern Family.   

But, I am surprised that it's still used as much as it is in 2018. 

I don't really think it's stupid, as it's been a part of TV since the beginning.   Is it useful?   Not really.   In fact, in the later episodes of Married With Children, the crowd reactions would almost overtake the show. 
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #799 on: May 21, 2018, 04:47:56 PM »

The reason I dubbed it "stupid" is why it's created at all? Can't people - you, for example - laugh at characters' lines without this "laugh help"? It doesn't make sense, you see.

Pages: 1 ... 27 28 29 30 31 [32] 33 34 35 36 37 ... 56   Go Up
Print
Jump to: