-->
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:46:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News: peteramescarlin.com
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  The Smiley Smile Message Board
|-+  Non Smiley Smile Stuff
| |-+  The Sandbox
| | |-+  What are you watching now?/Favourite Movie of the Moment
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 27 28 29 [30] 31 32 33 34 35 ... 56   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: What are you watching now?/Favourite Movie of the Moment  (Read 443337 times)
KDS
« Reply #725 on: April 10, 2018, 02:17:03 PM »

I see. We'll agree to disagree, I think it's OK to say legendary directors should retire. Film viewers can discuss it & voice it if they don't like their latest films.

You said before that TV actors get better recognition tha film. Is there any actor/ -ress who made successful career in feature films AND TV movies/ shows?

I suppose I don't watch enough recent movies to say whether or not some of the legends need to hang it up. 

Successful career in both movie and TV?   Sure.

John Goodman comes to mind with Roseanne and a long list of movies.   Steve Carrell has some big box office hits while starring on the US version of The Office.  Speaking of The Office, fellow Office star John Krasinski is in the new movie A Quiet Place, which is supposed to be very good.  Kiefer Sutherland had a very successful movie career before starring in 24.   Charlie Sheen had a successful run as a movie star before going to TV with Two and a Half Men.  Will Smith made the leap from TV to movies in the 1990s.   Tim Allen had some box office success with The Santa Clause franchise while starring on TV.   George Clooney started in TV, and went to movies.   I'm sure there's a ton more I'm forgetting too
bluesno1fann
« Reply #726 on: April 10, 2018, 05:11:27 PM »

Ron Howard also comes to mind.... maybe Tom Hanks as well (given that Bosom Buddies was his breakthrough, I think)
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #727 on: April 12, 2018, 05:41:00 AM »

Kiefer Sutherland
He's really good. Like his father Donald as well. Nice to see Tim Allen mentioned as well. Underrated comedian.

I see the phrase "pilot"/ "pilot episode" many times - could you explain? Is it episode which didn't work, they threw it & re-cut in different way? Or, is "pilot" akin to "test" episode?

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
KDS
« Reply #728 on: April 12, 2018, 05:48:47 AM »

Kiefer Sutherland
He's really good. Like his father Donald as well. Nice to see Tim Allen mentioned as well. Underrated comedian.

I see the phrase "pilot"/ "pilot episode" many times - could you explain? Is it episode which didn't work, they threw it & re-cut in different way? Or, is "pilot" akin to "test" episode?

Tim Allen is very underrated, agreed.   It's a shame I didn't check out his sitcom Last Man Standing while it was on the air.   While not as funny as Home Improvement in its prime, it was quite good. 

A pilot episode is when a new show films a test episode, and if it does well, the network will decide whether or not to pick up the show.   If you watch the pilot episodes of shows like Seinfeld or The Office (US), you can see that the pilot sometimes predates the show by up to a year, and the show will sometimes make some changes.   Seinfeld's pilot, for example, didn't feature Julia Louis Dreyfuss. 
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #729 on: April 13, 2018, 05:38:24 PM »

Thanks for the info. Did you see any pilot that, to you, looked better than the changed show? If not, does it mean the changes usually make the show better?

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
KDS
« Reply #730 on: April 13, 2018, 07:01:27 PM »

Thanks for the info. Did you see any pilot that, to you, looked better than the changed show? If not, does it mean the changes usually make the show better?

Not really.  I think the changes usually improve the show.

The pilot for The Office (US) for example was just an almost shot for shot remake of the first episode of the UK Office.  The show took on its own vibe later. 
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #731 on: April 14, 2018, 02:23:14 AM »

Many TV viewers praise "Seinfeld". Could you tell why?

bluesno1fann
« Reply #732 on: April 14, 2018, 05:05:29 AM »

Because Seinfeld's one of the most influential and consistently funny shows around. I mean, I prefer Curb Your Enthusiasm. But Seinfeld's still brilliant IMO
KDS
« Reply #733 on: April 14, 2018, 12:07:22 PM »

Because Seinfeld's one of the most influential and consistently funny shows around. I mean, I prefer Curb Your Enthusiasm. But Seinfeld's still brilliant IMO

I agree (except I prefer Seinfeld to Curb).  Seinfeld and Curb also poke fun st relatable situations like waiting for a table at a restaurant, not being able to find your car in a parking garage, etc
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #734 on: April 14, 2018, 02:44:50 PM »

Saying "influential" & "consistently funny" is generic answer. I'd like to know what's really special, unique about "Seinfeld". OK, it displays relatable situation - check. What else? Can any of you answer to my question in details? When I ask question, I must know the ins & outs, the dots & bolts to get to bottom of things.

& since you brought up "Curb Your Enthusiasm", the other show people praise, it seems CYE & "Seinfeld" share the same ideas? But there must be difference in script.

KDS
« Reply #735 on: April 15, 2018, 07:21:16 AM »

Saying "influential" & "consistently funny" is generic answer. I'd like to know what's really special, unique about "Seinfeld". OK, it displays relatable situation - check. What else? Can any of you answer to my question in details? When I ask question, I must know the ins & outs, the dots & bolts to get to bottom of things.

& since you brought up "Curb Your Enthusiasm", the other show people praise, it seems CYE & "Seinfeld" share the same ideas? But there must be difference in script.

Both shows were created by Larry David and feature similar humor.

Other than consistently funny and relatable, Seinfeld also had a great cast of characters - the main four and a ton of memorable supporting characters.  And some of the dialog has become iconic parts of pop culture and made its way into everyday language.  Ie No soup for you or Master of My Domain.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #736 on: April 15, 2018, 09:27:34 AM »

Seinfeld is also (so far as I know) the first sitcom in which none of the primary characters is actually likable in any traditional way: none is a good person. They are all selfish beyond belief ... and I think viewers recognize that impulse in themselves. It was a chance to watch what could unfold if you actually said the things that go unsaid. "If only I'd said [whatever]..." well, Jerry, Elaine, Kramer, and George always said it. And did it. Terrible people, something like four Mr. Hydes setting loose that side of human nature. In the end, no lessons learned. Ever. It was the anti-sitcom.

Something I loved, though some people didn't, was that in the later years, it also became somewhat absurdist. No longer just four jerks living self-centered lives of judgment, but now thrusting themselves into absolutely idiotic situations that are treated as if they were possible in the real world. Kramer sets up the Merv Griffin set in his apartment, or the hot tub in his apartment. Elaine goes to Myanmar just to get Mr. Peterman to sign the expense report. Jerry drugs his girlfriend--repeatedly, eventually inviting George to participate--to play with her antique toys. The entire Indian wedding "unvitation" episode. That spirit was very funny to me.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #737 on: April 15, 2018, 07:54:39 PM »

Ta. "Seinfeld" question answered. /Case. police

To get back to previous question, if S & CYE feature similar humor as you say, KDS, what's the purpose to create 2 similar shows? There must be some difference. They're comedy shows, right? Comedy shows must vary humor-wise. Therefore, it's puzzling to see what you describe "similar humor". Granted, "similar" isn't akin to "the same". But still. Discuss.

bluesno1fann
« Reply #738 on: April 15, 2018, 08:17:35 PM »

Seinfeld is also (so far as I know) the first sitcom in which none of the primary characters is actually likable in any traditional way: none is a good person. They are all selfish beyond belief ... and I think viewers recognize that impulse in themselves. It was a chance to watch what could unfold if you actually said the things that go unsaid. "If only I'd said [whatever]..." well, Jerry, Elaine, Kramer, and George always said it. And did it. Terrible people, something like four Mr. Hydes setting loose that side of human nature. In the end, no lessons learned. Ever. It was the anti-sitcom.

Something I loved, though some people didn't, was that in the later years, it also became somewhat absurdist. No longer just four jerks living self-centered lives of judgment, but now thrusting themselves into absolutely idiotic situations that are treated as if they were possible in the real world. Kramer sets up the Merv Griffin set in his apartment, or the hot tub in his apartment. Elaine goes to Myanmar just to get Mr. Peterman to sign the expense report. Jerry drugs his girlfriend--repeatedly, eventually inviting George to participate--to play with her antique toys. The entire Indian wedding "unvitation" episode. That spirit was very funny to me.

I think those more absurdist episodes came after Larry David left the show.... and if I'm perfectly honest they're among my favourites
bluesno1fann
« Reply #739 on: April 15, 2018, 08:18:59 PM »

To get back to previous question, if S & CYE feature similar humor as you say, KDS, what's the purpose to create 2 similar shows? There must be some difference. They're comedy shows, right? Comedy shows must vary humor-wise. Therefore, it's puzzling to see what you describe "similar humor". Granted, "similar" isn't akin to "the same". But still. Discuss.

They're similar, but at the same time very different. Curb is a lot less family friendly to put it mildly, and also relies on improvisation with the main actors. In a way it's a hell of a lot more extreme than Seinfeld.... and at the same time it's a lot more grounded in reality
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #740 on: April 15, 2018, 08:47:46 PM »

They're similar, but at the same time very different. Curb is a lot less family friendly to put it mildly, and also relies on improvisation with the main actors. In a way it's a hell of a lot more extreme than Seinfeld.... and at the same time it's a lot more grounded in reality
Thanks, Rei. You seem well-versed in American TV shows. I'll see what KDS can add to your points. "To get bigger picture", if you will.

bluesno1fann
« Reply #741 on: April 16, 2018, 12:37:20 AM »

Thanks, Rei. You seem well-versed in American TV shows.

Eh, a bit. TBH I'm probably more well-versed with British TV shows - in fact my favourite is Peep Show
KDS
« Reply #742 on: April 16, 2018, 05:47:10 AM »

I don't like those episodes as much as the earlier Larry David penned ones, but even the "lean" Seinfeld years are better than about 90% of shows out there.   Even those episodes brilliantly linked the stories, like how the Merv Griffin set merged with the story line of Jerry "drugging" his g/f to play with her toys.  The only one I'll disagree with is the Indian wedding one, as the backwards episode was a little too gimmicky.  Luckily, the DVD offers a linear version of that episode, and I think it's far superior. 
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #743 on: April 16, 2018, 05:49:49 AM »

I think those more absurdist episodes came after Larry David left the show.... and if I'm perfectly honest they're among my favourites

Mine, too. I realize they’re post-David and disliked (or relatively disliked) by many fans, but I love them.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

KDS
« Reply #744 on: April 16, 2018, 06:10:48 AM »

The easy answer is that, Larry David left Seinfeld after seven seasons, then Seinfeld went off the air in 1998.   So, 2-3 years later, he launched Curb.   Curb, while the humor is similar, is a far different show.  Unlike Seinfeld, the majority of the dialog is improvised.   The actors are given an outline of the situation, and they make up the dialog.  Also, it's a much raunchier version of Seinfeld due to the fact that it's on HBO, so unlike Seinfeld, it features language and situations not suitable for a prime time network TV show. 
KDS
« Reply #745 on: April 16, 2018, 06:13:06 AM »

Mine, too. I realize they’re post-David and disliked (or relatively disliked) by many fans, but I love them.

Those last two seasons of Seinfeld are, IMO, kinda like the early 70s BB albums.   They may not be as popular as the classic years, but still very good. 

Though, I think Jerry made the right call in pulling the plug on the show after nine years because I think had they kept going down that route, the show would've become silly and lost it's way a bit, sort of how Married With Children did at the end.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #746 on: April 16, 2018, 06:41:12 AM »

Next question for KDS, answer it: I'm very aware of posters' music tastes, likes & dislikes. You don't like disco. Is there any show you don't like due to show using many disco type songs/ music in the background? Is it big no to you even if you think it's good show?

KDS
« Reply #747 on: April 16, 2018, 06:44:48 AM »

Next question for KDS, answer it: I'm very aware of posters' music tastes, likes & dislikes. You don't like disco. Is there any show you don't like due to show using many disco type songs/ music in the background? Is it big no to you even if you think it's good show?

The use of music I don't care for won't sway my decision to watch or not watch.   For example, I like the American Pie movies, but the soundtrack is filled with rock songs from the late 90s / early 00s, which I think was an awful time for rock music.   But that doesn't affect my opinion on the movie.   The movie Office Space had a lot of rap in the soundtrack, but I still loved it 

On the TV side, How I Met Your Mother used a lot of indie music I didn't much care for, but I still liked the show. 
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #748 on: April 16, 2018, 07:07:36 AM »

Those last two seasons of Seinfeld are, IMO, kinda like the early 70s BB albums.   They may not be as popular as the classic years, but still very good. 

Though, I think Jerry made the right call in pulling the plug on the show after nine years because I think had they kept going down that route, the show would've become silly and lost it's way a bit, sort of how Married With Children did at the end.

I agree. I think many long running shows (and bands, for that matter) would be better off ending sooner than later. I think shows should get more time early on to find their voices—a single season is often not enough, but I’d say at least one full season is necessary—but then need more discipline on the other end to give up before they get bad.

Of course, it’s really advertisers who fundamentally make that decision for the networks.

KDS
« Reply #749 on: April 16, 2018, 07:12:42 AM »

I agree. I think many long running shows (and bands, for that matter) would be better off ending sooner than later. I think shows should get more time early on to find their voices—a single season is often not enough, but I’d say at least one full season is necessary—but then need more discipline on the other end to give up before they get bad.

Of course, it’s really advertisers who fundamentally make that decision for the networks.

I agree moreso about the TV shows than the bands as I've found enough later era material from Floyd, The Who, The Beach Boys, and Queen that I wouldn't want to give up. 

It's a shame some shows with potential aren't really allowed to find themselves.   If you watch the early episodes of Seinfeld, they're really not that great.   It took a bit for the show to find its footing.   Nowadays, networks are too quick to cancel at the beginning, and not quick enough to cancel at the end.   

Another great example is The Simpsons.   I was in 4th grade when it debuted, and I loved it.   But, if you go back and watch those Season 1 episodes, they're very uneven, and the show didn't really hit its stride until Season 2.   But, now, the show's limping through Season 29. 
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 27 28 29 [30] 31 32 33 34 35 ... 56   Go Up
Print
Jump to: