-->
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:04:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News: Carnival Of Sound
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  The Smiley Smile Message Board
|-+  Non Smiley Smile Stuff
| |-+  The Sandbox
| | |-+  What are you watching now?/Favourite Movie of the Moment
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 26 27 28 [29] 30 31 32 33 34 ... 56   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: What are you watching now?/Favourite Movie of the Moment  (Read 443359 times)
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #700 on: March 30, 2018, 06:35:07 AM »

Too short meaning film you really liked you wish to see it in TV series designation. Can list any, KDS?
« Last Edit: March 30, 2018, 06:52:51 AM by RangeRoverA1 » Logged

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
bluesno1fann
« Reply #701 on: March 30, 2018, 06:47:24 AM »

2Rei: Don't care about Dreyfuss. His acting didn't impress plus he's ugly. Btw, don't care about "Star Wars" either. The subject isn't super interesting, to begin with. Re: "American Graffiti", I didn't get the bit about "iconic" ending that posters stated repeatedly. The guy leaves his town to study & BBs' ASL plays. And? What's "iconic" about it? Roll Eyes

In terms of (un)attractiveness, he's hardly the Toad lol. But I enjoyed his performance, and what his character went through. As for the ending, I guess it's that it details the fate of each character - which by and large is a bit of a downer
« Last Edit: March 30, 2018, 06:48:04 AM by Unreconstructed Wilsonite » Logged
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #702 on: March 30, 2018, 07:05:00 AM »

I said generally, that Richard Dreyfuss is ugly. Can say it again if need be. Ditto the "acting didn't impress" bit. Re: Terry/ Toad, I didn't see him in other films, in fact what's his name? The bottom line is you liked "American Graffiti". Me, I rooted for cool car race film but got film about high school kids. If detailing each character's fate is the real reason why the ending is "iconic", we'll agree to disagree.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
KDS
« Reply #703 on: March 30, 2018, 07:29:58 AM »

Too short meaning film you really liked you wish to see it in TV series designation. Can list any, KDS?

Hmmm.......none that I can really think of.   

Ghostbusters comes to mind, but that had a successful TV show in the animated The Real Ghostbusters. 

Maybe the movie Almost Famous.   I'd have liked to see more of the adventures of the young writer protagonist.   Obviously, it would've had to be on premium cable. 
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #704 on: March 30, 2018, 07:50:17 AM »

AF is big bore. Granted, I'd seen it single time, maybe when I see AF again I'd tell everybody what really good film it is. But, as Mikie would write separately, "Ha Ha Ha".

You said you didn't see "American Graffiti", "Star Wars", "It" (1990). Which popular films you didn't see as well?

KDS
« Reply #705 on: March 30, 2018, 07:55:01 AM »

AF is big bore. Granted, I'd seen it single time, maybe when I see AF again I'd tell everybody what really good film it is. But, as Mikie would write separately, "Ha Ha Ha".

You said you didn't see "American Graffiti", "Star Wars", "It" (1990). Which popular films you didn't see as well?

I love everything about Almost Famous. 

Other popular films I have no interest in - the Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings movies as well as most of the Marvel superhero films. 

And, the ultimate unpopular movie opinion, I have absolutely no interest in watching The Godfather.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #706 on: March 30, 2018, 08:00:55 AM »

The question "Which popular films you didn't see as well?" iss general: any popular films, be it those you've no interest in or in your bucket list. Well?

KDS
« Reply #707 on: March 30, 2018, 08:07:55 AM »

The question "Which popular films you didn't see as well?" iss general: any popular films, be it those you've no interest in or in your bucket list. Well?

Well, you can rattle off a list of popular films from the last 20 years, and chances are, I haven't seen 75% or more. 

Kill Bill
Enternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
Pretty much any Wes Anderson movie
Transformers
The Departed
Inglorious Bastards
The Prestige
Cast Away
The Shawshank Redemption

Too many to list
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #708 on: March 30, 2018, 08:22:11 AM »

Would it be right to then say that your fave movie era is 70s-80s, give or take 50s-60s?

Discussing in this thread with you, it looks like you like old school stuff but at the same time, not too retro a la silents  & 1920s-30s talkies. Is it right?

KDS
« Reply #709 on: March 30, 2018, 08:24:38 AM »

Would it be right to then say that your fave movie era is 70s-80s, give or take 50s-60s?

Discussing in this thread with you, it looks like you like old school stuff but at the same time, not too retro a la silents  & 1920s-30s talkies. Is it right?

Unlike music, my movie wheelhouse consists mostly of movies released during my lifetime.   But, I'd say most of my favorites are from late 70s - early 90s
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #710 on: March 30, 2018, 08:26:35 AM »

You say "mostly" - tell exceptions to the wheelhouse.

KDS
« Reply #711 on: March 30, 2018, 08:33:22 AM »

You say "mostly" - tell exceptions to the wheelhouse.

Well, I like a lot of old horror movies from the 30s, 40s, 50s.   

I also like a lot of modern comedies from the 00s ie. Superbad, 40 Year Old Virgin, This is the End, Will Ferrell movies.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #712 on: March 30, 2018, 08:42:30 AM »

I also like a lot of modern comedies from the 00s ie. Superbad, 40 Year Old Virgin, This is the End, Will Ferrell movies.
I know you're horror fan. But didn't you like any 30s-50s film except horror?

Well "Superbad" etc. can't be exception since they're released during your lifetime. Which what my question directed to.

KDS
« Reply #713 on: March 30, 2018, 08:45:35 AM »

I know you're horror fan. But didn't you like any 30s-50s film except horror?

Well "Superbad" etc. can't be exception since they're released during your lifetime. Which what my question directed to.

Not too many early cinema to be honest, save for some older Christmas movies.   Well, there's always Pride of the Yankees and The Wizard of Oz. 

Superbad was released in my lifetime, but I said the era I prefer the most is late 70s - early 90s.   While I like a lot of 2000s comedies, I think there's a lot of crap too. 
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #714 on: March 30, 2018, 05:22:59 PM »

You've got film traditions at Christmas & Halloween. Barring it, do you watch film single time then move to the next or watch films, decide which are favorites & get back to them now & then? Question inspired by people who like movies but think it ruins the experience to see any viewed movie again.

KDS
« Reply #715 on: March 31, 2018, 08:19:39 AM »

You've got film traditions at Christmas & Halloween. Barring it, do you watch film single time then move to the next or watch films, decide which are favorites & get back to them now & then? Question inspired by people who like movies but think it ruins the experience to see any viewed movie again.

If I like a movie, I feel it warrants repeat viewing.  Jaws, Ghostbusters, Stand By Me, etc I can watch over and over.   I dont subscribe to the belief that repeat viewings diminish an experience.   Granted, if its got a twist ending, you'll not be as surprised as the initial viewing. 
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #716 on: March 31, 2018, 09:56:21 PM »

Did you dislike film & think should see it again just in case you may like it. Or if you dislike it you dislike it, the end? Do you give chance to bad films usually?

KDS
« Reply #717 on: April 02, 2018, 05:24:34 AM »

Did you dislike film & think should see it again just in case you may like it. Or if you dislike it you dislike it, the end? Do you give chance to bad films usually?

When I was single and had a lot more free time on my hands, there were instances that I gave movies second chances.   The first time I saw The Evil Dead, I didn't particularly care for it.  But, when I watched it again five years later, I liked it. 

This past December, I watched The Santa Clause after not caring for it on my first viewing 22 years prior, and liked it more.    I think still it's a tad overrated, but I enjoyed it. 

But, for the most part, if I don't care for a movie, I don't rewatch. 
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #718 on: April 08, 2018, 07:57:32 PM »

2KDS: Is Blu-Ray indeed better visually than DVD as many say? Did you buy films in Blu-Ray to compare? Next, since the technology keeps going forward, did they invent the advanced answer to Blu-Ray?

bluesno1fann
« Reply #719 on: April 08, 2018, 08:09:03 PM »

2KDS: Is Blu-Ray indeed better visually than DVD as many say? Did you buy films in Blu-Ray to compare? Next, since the technology keeps going forward, did they invent the advanced answer to Blu-Ray?

As far as I know, the "advanced answer" to Blu Ray is 4K Ultra HD
KDS
« Reply #720 on: April 08, 2018, 11:54:47 PM »

I dont think theres that big a difference though most movies in my collection predate HD so DVD will do just fine.   I feel no need to update my copy of Jaws for example. 
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #721 on: April 09, 2018, 10:16:02 AM »

Watched it with the grandkids. Brilliant heartwarming film. :=)

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #722 on: April 10, 2018, 04:51:53 AM »

Ta, Rei plus KDS.

New question to KDS to resume film chat - Do you think the big budget filmmakers Lucas, Spielberg etc. should quit it? Does it spiral downwards what they do or, in fact, the recent movies got better with time? Maybe few big name directors changed the style, took differentt route, refreshingly? What could you tell?

KDS
« Reply #723 on: April 10, 2018, 09:27:07 AM »

Ta, Rei plus KDS.

New question to KDS to resume film chat - Do you think the big budget filmmakers Lucas, Spielberg etc. should quit it? Does it spiral downwards what they do or, in fact, the recent movies got better with time? Maybe few big name directors changed the style, took differentt route, refreshingly? What could you tell?

It's not really my place to say legendary directors should retire if they're still satisfied with their work.   I'm in the minority, but I enjoyed the last Indiana Jones movie that Speilberg directed in 2008, and I've heard Ready Player One is quite good. 

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #724 on: April 10, 2018, 12:33:08 PM »

I see. We'll agree to disagree, I think it's OK to say legendary directors should retire. Film viewers can discuss it & voice it if they don't like their latest films.

You said before that TV actors get better recognition tha film. Is there any actor/ -ress who made successful career in feature films AND TV movies/ shows?

Pages: 1 ... 24 25 26 27 28 [29] 30 31 32 33 34 ... 56   Go Up
Print
Jump to: