-->
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:05:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News: Endless Summer Quarterly
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  The Smiley Smile Message Board
|-+  Non Smiley Smile Stuff
| |-+  The Sandbox
| | |-+  What are you watching now?/Favourite Movie of the Moment
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 25 26 27 [28] 29 30 31 32 33 ... 56   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: What are you watching now?/Favourite Movie of the Moment  (Read 443093 times)
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #675 on: March 19, 2018, 05:47:10 PM »

I mean, doing new episodes of old shows.   NBC started airing new Will and Grace episodes last year.   Netflix brought back Full House a year or two ago.   ABC starts the first new season of Roseanne in 20 years next week.  And there are rumors of King of the Hill, The Office, and several others that might come back. 

I wouldn't mind interviewing Andrew Lincoln from The Walking Dead.   I think he's a good actor, and his father in law is Ian Anderson, from Jethro Tull.  So, that's interesting. 
Do you like these shows being brought back? Which new show do you think is the best right now & why? Asking since many new shows' themes repeat the old shows' themes. Is what you like interesting thematically, not path walked before?

Small world.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
KDS
« Reply #676 on: March 20, 2018, 05:22:37 AM »

I mean, doing new episodes of old shows.   NBC started airing new Will and Grace episodes last year.   Netflix brought back Full House a year or two ago.   ABC starts the first new season of Roseanne in 20 years next week.  And there are rumors of King of the Hill, The Office, and several others that might come back. 

I wouldn't mind interviewing Andrew Lincoln from The Walking Dead.   I think he's a good actor, and his father in law is Ian Anderson, from Jethro Tull.  So, that's interesting. 
Do you like these shows being brought back? Which new show do you think is the best right now & why? Asking since many new shows' themes repeat the old shows' themes. Is what you like interesting thematically, not path walked before?

Small world.

I think the resurrection of old shows, just like the barrage of remakes, reboots, and sequels in movies, is another clear sign of the lack of new ideas in entertainment.   That being said, I will check out the upcoming return of Roseanne, as that was a really good show (minus that dreadful final season).  So, mixed feelings. 

We're finding less time to devote to TV, but we really like the new FOX comedy LA to Vegas.   It's just a silly, well done comedy about an airline.  I'm fine with shows revisiting old themes.   Superior Donuts is trying to do for the local coffee shop what Cheers did for bars. 
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #677 on: March 20, 2018, 04:41:02 PM »

Then "Superior Donuts" must be just as dull as "Cheers" with boreface ugly lead character a la Ted Danson. Zzzzz.

Which SNL era do you like - the Eddie Murphy/ Tim Kazurinsky/ Moranis? John Belushi/ Chevy Chase? Recent cast? Which is the funniest?

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
bluesno1fann
« Reply #678 on: March 20, 2018, 08:38:06 PM »

Just been elected Vice President of the La Trobe Cinema Club, which is basically the film club for my university. Very excited for the club and the opportunities that come with it.

We're going to watch a film every Friday night, starting with The Graduate. Greatly look forward to it, and a fantastic film to start off with as well
« Last Edit: March 20, 2018, 08:38:38 PM by Unreconstructed Wilsonite » Logged
KDS
« Reply #679 on: March 22, 2018, 05:37:59 AM »

Then "Superior Donuts" must be just as dull as "Cheers" with boreface ugly lead character a la Ted Danson. Zzzzz.

Which SNL era do you like - the Eddie Murphy/ Tim Kazurinsky/ Moranis? John Belushi/ Chevy Chase? Recent cast? Which is the funniest?

Well, we'll have to agree to disagree on Cheers, as I support the opinion that it's one of the greatest sitcoms of all time.   Superior Donuts will likely never make the Top 50, but by 2018 standards it's quite good.   I made the comparison because the show centers around a donut shop.

For SNL, my favorite era is probably the one I grew up watching, and that was from the late 80s until about the early to mid 90s.   The cast featured Mike Myers, Dana Carvey, Phil Hartman, Chris Rock, Chris Farley, David Spade, Kevin Nealon, Adam Sander, etc.  I'd rate the original cast as my second favorite - Chase, Murray, Belushi, Akyroyd, etc. 

I think Eddie Murphy was the shining star on a mostly week cast in the mid 80s.   Which is the same way I view Will Ferrell in the late 90s / early 00s.   In fact, I didn't go back and start watching a lot of those Ferrell sketches until after I'd seen movies like Old School and Anchorman. 

I think the current version of SNL is an extremely poor, unfunny excuse for a comedy show.   Every now and then, I'll tune in, especially if I like the guest host, and each time, I'm disappointed. 
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #680 on: March 23, 2018, 06:53:41 PM »

Yes, we'll agree to disagree. I'm with reviews that say "Cheers" is boring.

What will you say made today's SNL to be hilariously unfunny show? Problem with actors? People who write the show's script?

KDS
« Reply #681 on: March 25, 2018, 07:01:06 PM »

Yes, we'll agree to disagree. I'm with reviews that say "Cheers" is boring.

What will you say made today's SNL to be hilariously unfunny show? Problem with actors? People who write the show's script?

I think its bad writing and lack of funny people involved in SNL. 
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #682 on: March 26, 2018, 04:55:48 PM »

2KDS: We know BBs guest-starred in few TV shows. Randy Travis in "Sabrina The Teenage Witch". Did the other bands/ singers? Who & where?

KDS
« Reply #683 on: March 27, 2018, 05:22:22 AM »

2KDS: We know BBs guest-starred in few TV shows. Randy Travis in "Sabrina The Teenage Witch". Did the other bands/ singers? Who & where?

Oh yes.   The list of bands / artists who guested on The Simpsons is endless - All three surviving Beatles, Mick Jagger, Keith Richards, Tom Petty, The Who, Metallica, Smashing Pumpkins, Peter Frampton, Rob Halford of Judas Priest, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Aerosmith, The Ramones, Linda Rondstat, David Byrne, The Moody Blues, Ted Nugent, Spinal Tap, etc etc.   Surprisingly no guest spots from any Beach Boy, despite the fact they were referenced many times.  

Alice Cooper, Roger Daltrey, and Ted Nugent have appeared on That 70s Show.  

All of the original members of KISS appeared on Family Guy.  

Phil Collins appeared on Miami Vice.  

Eddie Money appeared on King of Queens

Chad and Jeremy appeared on the 1960s Batman show.  

Anthrax appeared on Married...With Children

Joe Walsh and Slash have appeared on The Drew Carey Show.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2018, 05:36:46 AM by KDS » Logged
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #684 on: March 27, 2018, 07:35:23 AM »

Could "The Simpsons" be the show with the biggest list of guests? Is there show like it?

Do you think these bands/ artists being featured in TV shows is double-edge sword?
« Last Edit: March 27, 2018, 07:35:51 AM by RangeRoverA1 » Logged

KDS
« Reply #685 on: March 27, 2018, 08:03:35 AM »

Could "The Simpsons" be the show with the biggest list of guests? Is there show like it?

Do you think these bands/ artists being featured in TV shows is double-edge sword?

I think The Simpsons list is the longest because they've been on the air for almost 30 years.  I doubt another show will come close to that. 

Although South Park has been on for 20, and they've had Radiohead, Elton John, and Ozzy Osbourne among others. 

I'm of the mind that any exposure is good.   Anthrax were never really a mainstream heavy metal band, but Married....With Children introduced them to a wider audience. 

I even think the much maligned appearance by The Beach Boys on Full House did more good than harm in the long run, and it introduced a generation of kids to the band. 
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #686 on: March 27, 2018, 04:18:00 PM »

"Simpsons" is the long show but, in the Sandbox thread about Simpsons, I gathered it's the show specialized in making cultural references in each episode - to relevant news at the time, to movie stars, music bands, singers, songs, various famous people name-checked. Thus, regardless if it's been there for 30 yrs or 5, it still would be the show with the biggest list of celebrity guests, am I right? Or, is there show with such universal/ pervasive scenario?

Re: "South Park" - is it really show with obscenity? It isn't "family viewing" type show?

KDS
« Reply #687 on: March 28, 2018, 05:33:11 AM »

"Simpsons" is the long show but, in the Sandbox thread about Simpsons, I gathered it's the show specialized in making cultural references in each episode - to relevant news at the time, to movie stars, music bands, singers, songs, various famous people name-checked. Thus, regardless if it's been there for 30 yrs or 5, it still would be the show with the biggest list of celebrity guests, am I right? Or, is there show with such universal/ pervasive scenario?

Re: "South Park" - is it really show with obscenity? It isn't "family viewing" type show?

The Simpsons doesn't always chime in with timely matters, but yes, they do make a lot of pop culture references, particularly in their annual Halloween shows. 

Yes, South Park is most definitely not fit for the entire family.  The humor is often quite crude, and since it's on after 10pm, they can get away with a little more in ways of language. 
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #688 on: March 28, 2018, 05:56:09 AM »

To rephrase the question - it interests me greatly - is "Simpsons" unique in bringing pop culture refs or there's many shows like that which don't depict its fictional characters but add in famous people, famous, not specially made for show songs etc.?

KDS
« Reply #689 on: March 28, 2018, 07:34:04 AM »

To rephrase the question - it interests me greatly - is "Simpsons" unique in bringing pop culture refs or there's many shows like that which don't depict its fictional characters but add in famous people, famous, not specially made for show songs etc.?

I don't think The Simpsons is 100% unique in the pop culture references, thought it was probably one of the first shows to do it on a consistent basis.   If anybody reading this wants to correct me, that's fine, as I'll admit my knowledge of pre 1980s TV is not what is used to be.   I even forgot to mention Sammy Davis Jr's iconic guest spot on All in the Family. 

Many post Simpsons shows have a ton of pop culture references.   Family Guy is well known for cutaway gags / pop culture references.   Robot Chicken is a show based entirely on quick pop culture references. 
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #690 on: March 28, 2018, 04:26:17 PM »

You listed cartoon shows. Doesn't any show using real people make pop culture refs?

bluesno1fann
« Reply #691 on: March 28, 2018, 05:13:35 PM »

Going to be watching American Graffiti and Dog Day Afternoon tonight as part of my Cinema Club's weekly film night. Never seen the latter, so I greatly look forward to it
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #692 on: March 28, 2018, 07:05:41 PM »

Did you like "American Graffiti", Rei? Who's the prettiest girl & the best guy to you? To me, Candy Clarke & Paul Le Mat (with H. Ford) plus Terry, the guy with glasses, is adorable. :D I'll take the nerd anytime than that boring freckly guy what's-his-name, along with his chub-nosed girlfriend who was cute as button but too feisty & I quickly got tired of her. I wish instead they showed car race scenes which is main disapointment with this film. I expected, seeing people rave it here & elsewhere, that it's car race movie, not about teenage problems.

KDS
« Reply #693 on: March 29, 2018, 05:11:37 AM »

You listed cartoon shows. Doesn't any show using real people make pop culture refs?

They do.   I just couldn't think of any off hand.   Of course, That 70s Show is full of references to 70s pop culture.   The Big Bang Theory is full of references to "nerd" pop culture. 
bluesno1fann
« Reply #694 on: March 29, 2018, 07:52:19 AM »

Did you like "American Graffiti", Rei? Who's the prettiest girl & the best guy to you? To me, Candy Clarke & Paul Le Mat (with H. Ford) plus Terry, the guy with glasses, is adorable. :D I'll take the nerd anytime than that boring freckly guy what's-his-name, along with his chub-nosed girlfriend who was cute as button but too feisty & I quickly got tired of her. I wish instead they showed car race scenes which is main disapointment with this film. I expected, seeing people rave it here & elsewhere, that it's car race movie, not about teenage problems.

Yeah, I greatly enjoy the film. Have seen it many times - actually prefer it over other Lucas films, including Star Wars. As for prettiest girl and best guy, I'd say probably the waitress at Mel's Drive In that talked to Ron Howard, and I quite liked Richard Dreyfuss in the film
KDS
« Reply #695 on: March 29, 2018, 08:23:22 AM »

Yeah, I greatly enjoy the film. Have seen it many times - actually prefer it over other Lucas films, including Star Wars. As for prettiest girl and best guy, I'd say probably the waitress at Mel's Drive In that talked to Ron Howard, and I quite liked Richard Dreyfuss in the film

I've never seen AG or Star Wars in their entirety, but I have absolutely zero interest in the SW movies, while AF is on my bucket list. 
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #696 on: March 30, 2018, 04:53:53 AM »

2Rei: Don't care about Dreyfuss. His acting didn't impress plus he's ugly. Btw, don't care about "Star Wars" either. The subject isn't super interesting, to begin with. Re: "American Graffiti", I didn't get the bit about "iconic" ending that posters stated repeatedly. The guy leaves his town to study & BBs' ASL plays. And? What's "iconic" about it? Roll Eyes

2KDS: Do you like animated TV series or TV series? Which tend to be funny, entertaining, interesting? Do they differ, in fact? Do you think some cartoon shows could work with real people? Which?

KDS
« Reply #697 on: March 30, 2018, 05:49:11 AM »

2Rei: Don't care about Dreyfuss. His acting didn't impress plus he's ugly. Btw, don't care about "Star Wars" either. The subject isn't super interesting, to begin with. Re: "American Graffiti", I didn't get the bit about "iconic" ending that posters stated repeatedly. The guy leaves his town to study & BBs' ASL plays. And? What's "iconic" about it? Roll Eyes

2KDS: Do you like animated TV series or TV series? Which tend to be funny, entertaining, interesting? Do they differ, in fact? Do you think some cartoon shows could work with real people? Which?

I like both animated and live action TV shows.  It just so happens that my all time favorite TV show is animated - The Simpsons.   But, I currently watch LA to Vegas, Gotham, Lethal Weapon, The Walking Dead, and several others. 

I think animated shows, for the most part, offer a more zany brand of comedy because, being animated, they're not bound by reality.   Some of the things that happen to Homer Simpson can't happen to a live action person because it just wouldn't be believable. 

In general, I'm not a fan of live action adaptations of cartoons.   The only one I ever saw that was even remotely good was The Flintstones.  But, I thought Scooby Doo and The Grinch were awful.

The only animated TV show that I could see working as live action is King of the Hill.  Unlike most animated shows, King of the Hill was very much grounded in reality, except for the fact that the children didn't age. 
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #698 on: March 30, 2018, 06:26:14 AM »

I thought Scooby Doo and The Grinch were awful.
Agree with "Grinch" but didn't you like Matthew Lillard as Shaggy? He played him really well.

Which film did you see & think too short, ended too soon, not developed to the fullest & it made you decide it should be TV series instead?

KDS
« Reply #699 on: March 30, 2018, 06:30:29 AM »

I thought Scooby Doo and The Grinch were awful.
Agree with "Grinch" but didn't you like Matthew Lillard as Shaggy? He played him really well.

Which film did you see & think too short, ended too soon, not developed to the fullest & it made you decide it should be TV series instead?

I thought the cast of Scooby Doo did their best, although I didn't care for Sarah Michelle Gellar as Daphne.   But, I just thought the movie itself wasn't very good.   I thought the first five minutes were great, but it went straight downhill after. 

I honestly can't think of a movie that I thought was too short.  I prefer a tight, short runtime over a bloated one. 
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 25 26 27 [28] 29 30 31 32 33 ... 56   Go Up
Print
Jump to: