-->
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 07:02:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News: Beach Boys Britain
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  The Smiley Smile Message Board
|-+  Non Smiley Smile Stuff
| |-+  The Sandbox
| | |-+  What are you watching now?/Favourite Movie of the Moment
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 24 25 [26] 27 28 29 30 31 ... 56   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: What are you watching now?/Favourite Movie of the Moment  (Read 443509 times)
KDS
« Reply #625 on: February 25, 2018, 06:20:43 PM »

Just to add a bit to KDS’s explanation, the visuals in a montage tend to be brief snippets edited together beneath the music rather than using dialogue, and it is basically a way to hasten some point from A to B or pass the time. So in a Rocky movie, it could be numerous training moments (sit ups, weight lifting, running, push ups, more weight lifting), each only a few seconds, but getting across the point: Rocky is dedicated to getting into shape for the big fight. A song is often used for the audio of such a “montage.”

Other typical montage scenes might show a child growing up, someone’s workday routine, a couple’s relationship growing through numerous dates, etc.

The montage was brilliantly lampooned on an episode of South Park back in 2002 (I think).  The Trey Parker / Matt Stone montage song was so good, they used it again in their Team America movie
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #626 on: February 26, 2018, 01:21:20 PM »

Thanks re: "montage song" term, both. I'm big "Rocky" (as well as Sylvester Stallone) fan which helps to see the explanation better than, say, "popular in the U.S. strictly" movie example would.

2KDS: Did you, seeing films, think at times "It should be without music" beginning to end? Which film?

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
KDS
« Reply #627 on: February 26, 2018, 06:17:10 PM »

Thanks re: "montage song" term, both. I'm big "Rocky" (as well as Sylvester Stallone) fan which helps to see the explanation better than, say, "popular in the U.S. strictly" movie example would.

2KDS: Did you, seeing films, think at times "It should be without music" beginning to end? Which film?

I honesty cant think of any movies that would be without music.  Maybe with different music.

For example, the 1989 Tim Burton Batman movie has a bit of a timeless feel, except for the use of Prince music during some key scenes.  Burton was wise to mostly avoid contemporary music in the 1992 sequel, except in the background of one scene. 
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #628 on: February 28, 2018, 05:50:36 PM »

Indifferent about Prince. Elfman should've scored it start to finish.

Did you at times seeing movie/ its scenes picture the other song being played - by famous band or famous music theme in famous movie? To show you example, the music to "Psycho" could fit "Halloween" (high-pitched violins).

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
KDS
« Reply #629 on: February 28, 2018, 06:51:52 PM »

Indifferent about Prince. Elfman should've scored it start to finish.

Did you at times seeing movie/ its scenes picture the other song being played - by famous band or famous music theme in famous movie? To show you example, the music to "Psycho" could fit "Halloween" (high-pitched violins).

If the Prince songs were in the background, it wouldn't have been so bad, but seeing Nicholson's Joker dancing to Prince songs twice during the movie was a little much. 

Hmm, never really thought of movie scenes with different music before. 
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #630 on: March 01, 2018, 05:16:34 PM »

If the Prince songs were in the background, it wouldn't have been so bad, but seeing Nicholson's Joker dancing to Prince songs twice during the movie was a little much.
Agree, it's dullfest. Can you tell movies with the same title as famous song/ line which don't play it in the soundtrack/ isn't biopic of the artist who's written it? I.e. "Stand By Me", L&M, "Walk The Line" rule out.

KDS
« Reply #631 on: March 01, 2018, 06:49:01 PM »

Agree, it's dullfest. Can you tell movies with the same title as famous song/ line which don't play it in the soundtrack/ isn't biopic of the artist who's written it? I.e. "Stand By Me", L&M, "Walk The Line" rule out.

Dazed and Confused, the 1993 comedy that takes place in 1976.  Despite a soundtrack full of classic rock greatness, the Led Zeppelin song of the same name is not played, nor are any Zeppelin songs.  

This may have been done to keep the movie under budget as Led Zeppelin songs are apparently very expensive to buy the rights to use.  

Also, the 2011 comedy Take Me Home Tonight which takes place in 1988.   The Eddie Money song was festured in the trailer, but not the movie.   
« Last Edit: March 01, 2018, 06:50:38 PM by KDS » Logged
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #632 on: March 02, 2018, 06:59:37 AM »

You're the horror & 80s comedy fan. Is it hereditary, ie. parents/ fam like the same too? Is there ultimate Top 3 you & fam get kick out of?

KDS
« Reply #633 on: March 02, 2018, 07:11:34 AM »

You're the horror & 80s comedy fan. Is it hereditary, ie. parents/ fam like the same too? Is there ultimate Top 3 you & fam get kick out of?

I suppose it could be.   My mother has always been a fan of horror, and my father loves a good comedy, so there could be something to that.   

I know my family and I all love Jaws.  My mother and I are big fans of The Exorcist.  My father's not big into supernatural horror. 

My father and I have enjoyed movies like Blazing Saddles, Caddyshack, and The Naked Gun together. 

Top 3 that we all enjoy.......

Jaws
Ghostbusters (1984)
The Sixth Sense
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #634 on: March 03, 2018, 12:41:09 AM »

Siblings? Cousins? Grandparents? Which the same films do you like with them?

KDS
« Reply #635 on: March 03, 2018, 01:02:50 AM »

Siblings? Cousins? Grandparents? Which the same films do you like with them?

I recall my sister and I both liked Ace Ventura back in the day.   

Never really watched a lot of movies with my cousins although my one older cousin took me to see Beetlejuice when I was a kid. 

Though I didnt see the movie until after he passed, my grandfather loved the original I Spit On Your Grave
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #636 on: March 06, 2018, 07:03:29 AM »

2KDS: What's the favorite teacher film? People usually cite "Dead Poets Society", smb. at Smiley even borrowed its famous line to add as signature. Do you agree with such choice? Sth. else? To me, best teacher film is definitely "Up The Down Staircase" with Sandy Dennis (don't mix her with UK folk singer Sandy Denny).

KDS
« Reply #637 on: March 06, 2018, 07:19:20 AM »

2KDS: What's the favorite teacher film? People usually cite "Dead Poets Society", smb. at Smiley even borrowed its famous line to add as signature. Do you agree with such choice? Sth. else? To me, best teacher film is definitely "Up The Down Staircase" with Sandy Dennis (don't mix her with UK folk singer Sandy Denny).

For teacher films, I tend to go against the grain and go for lighter fare. 

The 80s comedy Summer School is a lot of fun. 

But, my favorite might be the 2003 comedy School of Rock.  It's a fun comedy, packed with a good soundtrack, and tons of music references.  Plus, it doesn't fall into the overly sentimental trap that many movies of this type tend to do. 
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #638 on: March 06, 2018, 07:50:42 AM »

I unabashedly loved that movie and have probably seen it 15 times (though not in years ... or decades). Absolutely fun and funny.

For what it's worth, I've also wondered whether Chainsaw and Dave weren't the models to some extent for Bill and Ted, and maybe even Beavis and Butthead. But the two inseparable friends, there for comic relief, mostly existing inside their own little fantasy world (of horror film for C&D, rock for B&T, and, well, uh, huh huh huh for B&BH), entirely useless from the outside world's perspective.

It also had some quotable lines: "Don't wet your pants. Watch this." "I cannot study. I'm going to the library." "...very very very very very much. [number] words on the dot. You can count them if you want."

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
KDS
« Reply #639 on: March 06, 2018, 07:58:59 AM »

I unabashedly loved that movie and have probably seen it 15 times (though not in years ... or decades). Absolutely fun and funny.

For what it's worth, I've also wondered whether Chainsaw and Dave weren't the models to some extent for Bill and Ted, and maybe even Beavis and Butthead. But the two inseparable friends, there for comic relief, mostly existing inside their own little fantasy world (of horror film for C&D, rock for B&T, and, well, uh, huh huh huh for B&BH), entirely useless from the outside world's perspective.

It also had some quotable lines: "Don't wet your pants. Watch this." "I cannot study. I'm going to the library." "...very very very very very much. [number] words on the dot. You can count them if you want."

Good call on Chainsaw and Dave being a proto Bill and Ted.   I could definitely see that. 
bluesno1fann
« Reply #640 on: March 06, 2018, 03:45:45 PM »

I've been watching films off this list (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1KjCL4vPf14A8eajuIyzvNXO_vMPJafSp_v2nqly8zaA/edit) as part of a challenge I'm currently undertaking with a mate of mine. Basically, this challenge consists of attempting to watch a minimum of one film per day from every edition of the book "1001 Films You Must See Before You Die", as well as films from its spin off "101 (insert genre) Films" books. Although the title of this challenge says 1001, in reality the total number of films that will be viewed will number well over 1500. That said, given the difficulty of trying to locate and watch some of the more obscure films (it took me a month and a half to watch "La Roue" by Abel Gance), as well as various other circumstances (for example I'm starting university so that'll naturally take up a large amount of my time), it's been all but impossible to stick to that "one film per day" rule. But I try my best.

Feel free to follow me on Letterboxd and to check out my progress so far: https://letterboxd.com/rubsomefunk/list/1001-films-you-must-see-before-you-die-challenge/
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #641 on: March 06, 2018, 04:06:32 PM »

Wow, that's ambition. That was the sort of thing I tried to do across media (movies, albums, and books) in the lead-up to 2000, where there were a lot of top 100s. However, I can't imagine even trying that anymore, much less 1001+. Good luck to you!

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #642 on: March 06, 2018, 11:40:56 PM »

2KDS: Is there any movie character who could be your alter ego? What do you think?

2Rei: Checking that letterboxd link, I see you got to the 1920s - nice!

KDS
« Reply #643 on: March 07, 2018, 05:45:04 AM »

2KDS: Is there any movie character who could be your alter ego? What do you think?

2Rei: Checking that letterboxd link, I see you got to the 1920s - nice!

My film alter ego.  I do relate to the main character from Clerks, Dante in how he tends to overthink every aspect of his life.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #644 on: March 08, 2018, 06:20:36 AM »

My film alter ego.  I do relate to the main character from Clerks, Dante in how he tends to overthink every aspect of his life.
OK, thanks.

People usually like good characters. Which film villain did you like & root for (i.e. real baddie, not smb. who changed into good guy/ girl)?

KDS
« Reply #645 on: March 08, 2018, 06:31:53 AM »

OK, thanks.

People usually like good characters. Which film villain did you like & root for (i.e. real baddie, not smb. who changed into good guy/ girl)?

Freddy Krueger is an obvious one, especially in the sequels, where the ways he would kill his victims became her creative.   He's probably the only one that I really rooted for.   
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #646 on: March 09, 2018, 05:07:34 AM »

Freddy Krueger is an obvious one, especially in the sequels, where the ways he would kill his victims became her creative.   He's probably the only one that I really rooted for.   
Freddy Krueger is sheer coolness - dressed like scarecrow meets country boy with funny face/ voice & metal fingers. At 5 or sth. I found him hilarious. Still frightful when he liked to be. When they made that stupid as hell "Freddy vs. Jason", I laughed thinking "Is it joke?". To pit Fredster with some loser, really? What did you think of this abomination? Who would you place against Freddy in battle? Fun question time.

KDS
« Reply #647 on: March 09, 2018, 05:47:42 AM »

Freddy Krueger is sheer coolness - dressed like scarecrow meets country boy with funny face/ voice & metal fingers. At 5 or sth. I found him hilarious. Still frightful when he liked to be. When they made that stupid as hell "Freddy vs. Jason", I laughed thinking "Is it joke?". To pit Fredster with some loser, really? What did you think of this abomination? Who would you place against Freddy in battle? Fun question time.

For what it was, I thought Freddy v Jason was a fun way to spend 90 minutes.  It was a very tongue in cheek tribute to both franchises.   However, I've never been a huge fan of the Friday the 13th series.  I always thought it was a knockoff of the Halloween series (at least the sequels were once Jason donned his trademark mask). 

The biggest flaw of a Freddy v any other slasher is that Freddy has a personality, while the others are just masked, silent killers.   If they were to pit Freddy Krueger vs anybody contemporary, I'd probably pick Pin Head from the Hell Raiser series or Candy Man. 
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #648 on: March 09, 2018, 05:54:57 PM »

Agree with the "Friday the 13th" point - boredom kingdom with nothing special villain. Freddy's personality can't be topped, well said again.

Do you think 8-bit score could fit any film genre? Or should it stay strictly in computer/ video games?

KDS
« Reply #649 on: March 09, 2018, 06:16:26 PM »

Agree with the "Friday the 13th" point - boredom kingdom with nothing special villain. Freddy's personality can't be topped, well said again.

Do you think 8-bit score could fit any film genre? Or should it stay strictly in computer/ video games?

I think that should stay with video games. 

There was a rumor of an Ash (protagonist from Evil Dead) v Freddy movie years ago.   I think that wouldve been a lot of fun. 
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 24 25 [26] 27 28 29 30 31 ... 56   Go Up
Print
Jump to: