-->
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 01, 2024, 10:22:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News: peteramescarlin.com
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  The Smiley Smile Message Board
|-+  Non Smiley Smile Stuff
| |-+  The Sandbox
| | |-+  What are you watching now?/Favourite Movie of the Moment
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 22 23 24 [25] 26 27 28 29 30 ... 56   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: What are you watching now?/Favourite Movie of the Moment  (Read 450028 times)
KDS
« Reply #600 on: February 06, 2018, 09:40:07 AM »

Speaking of sharks, one of the most famous scenes involving a reference / tribute to another film is probably in Jaws.  As Roy Schieder's character sits on the beach, watching a boy get attacked by a shark, the camera does the push / pull effect that Hitchcock made famous in Vertigo.  Spielberg has said that was a tribute to Hitchcock.
It's interesting example you brought - camera effects re-used by new director in new film (in this case, new in relation to Hitch).

In "Secret Window", Johnny Depp's character's name is Norman. It's less popular name & since it's suspense, I regard it as "Psycho" ref.

That's the only one I can recall off hand, but I know there are a ton of references / tributes throughout movies that are played for laughs.
But my question is about serious refs/ tributes. Usually used in the same genre film (suspense refs in suspense movie, old horror movie refs in new horror movie...) as director displaying (subtly) he's fan to the past director.

Sorry that was a typo.   I meant to say there are a lot of references / tributes that aren't played for laughs. 

Example, John Carpenter's Halloween was one of the first to show the killer's point of view.  It only took two years for the original Friday the 13th to copy that. 
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #601 on: February 19, 2018, 04:58:21 PM »

"The Wizard Of Oz" - expected entertaining adventurous family film. Instead, it's disappointingly dull. The "Judy meets stranger" scenes get by rather slowly. Skipped thru the film till its ending which could be the best thing. "Somewhere Over The Rainbow" is nice song sung very well by young Judy Garland. At the same time, it lacks sth. to dub it "great" imo.

I decided to see "The Wizard" thinking it could be even better than amazing, riveting tale "Alice In Wonderland" (both Disney cartoon & 1933 black & white movie featuring loveliest, adorable Alice & young Cary Grant & Gary Cooper). But, it's 2/5 - great costumes, some good dialog lines, few interesting characters, rare cool visual effects.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
KDS
« Reply #602 on: February 20, 2018, 07:17:02 AM »

"The Wizard Of Oz" - expected entertaining adventurous family film. Instead, it's disappointingly dull. The "Judy meets stranger" scenes get by rather slowly. Skipped thru the film till its ending which could be the best thing. "Somewhere Over The Rainbow" is nice song sung very well by young Judy Garland. At the same time, it lacks sth. to dub it "great" imo.

I decided to see "The Wizard" thinking it could be even better than amazing, riveting tale "Alice In Wonderland" (both Disney cartoon & 1933 black & white movie featuring loveliest, adorable Alice & young Cary Grant & Gary Cooper). But, it's 2/5 - great costumes, some good dialog lines, few interesting characters, rare cool visual effects.

Have you seen the "sequel" to Wizard of Oz, Return to Oz (1985)? 

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #603 on: February 20, 2018, 03:50:24 PM »

We started watching "Transparent," and it's really enjoyable. I like Jeffrey Tambor quite a bit, I think he's a hilarious actor. (Arrested Development is one of my favorite shows ever.) It also raises plenty of little things to discuss around the house. Granted, I suspect the show's future is in doubt considering Tambor was accused of some sordid behavior as a part of the #MeToo wave, but we'll just have to see how that all works out. Anyway, I've still got three and a half seasons to go before I'm caught up.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."

View Profile
« Reply #604 on: February 20, 2018, 04:09:55 PM »

"The Wizard Of Oz" - expected entertaining adventurous family film. Instead, it's disappointingly dull. The "Judy meets stranger" scenes get by rather slowly. Skipped thru the film till its ending which could be the best thing. "Somewhere Over The Rainbow" is nice song sung very well by young Judy Garland. At the same time, it lacks sth. to dub it "great" imo
The

Wow, sorry you think this movie is dull.
It's such an iconic movie in America. Millions of us grew up looking forward to its being on TV every year.
I'll get you, my pretty, and your little dog too; Follow the yellow brick road; Lions and tigers and bears, oh my! There's no place like home...
The songs by the Scarecrow, Tin Man and Cowardly Lion bring a smile and never grow old to me.
Judy Garland is amazing. And Toto too!

"No White Flags." - Team Gleason

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon

"The best thing you can be 'like' in music is yourself." Dr. John
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #605 on: February 20, 2018, 04:58:20 PM »

We started watching "Transparent," and it's really enjoyable. I like Jeffrey Tambor quite a bit, I think he's a hilarious actor. (Arrested Development is one of my favorite shows ever.) It also raises plenty of little things to discuss around the house. Granted, I suspect the show's future is in doubt considering Tambor was accused of some sordid behavior as a part of the #MeToo wave, but we'll just have to see how that all works out. Anyway, I've still got three and a half seasons to go before I'm caught up.

As a huge fan of Arrested Developent myself, I just looked up if that sexual harassment claim was going to interfere with the new season...looks like it won’t. But Amazon officially stated that Tambor will not be back for another season of Transparent.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #606 on: February 20, 2018, 05:06:39 PM »

"The Wizard Of Oz" - expected entertaining adventurous family film. Instead, it's disappointingly dull. The "Judy meets stranger" scenes get by rather slowly. Skipped thru the film till its ending which could be the best thing. "Somewhere Over The Rainbow" is nice song sung very well by young Judy Garland. At the same time, it lacks sth. to dub it "great" imo
The

It's such an iconic movie in America. Millions of us grew up looking forward to its being on TV every year.
I'll get you, my pretty, and your little dog too; Follow the yellow brick road; Lions and tigers and bears, oh my! There's no place like home...
The songs by the Scarecrow, Tin Man and Cowardly Lion bring a smile and never grow old to me.

The Wizard of Oz is one of the creepiest/scariest movies I’ve ever seen. It’s actually one of my first memories seeing that on television and it had me creeped out for weeks. Those flying monkeys and that spooky Wizard...all of it just sent shivers down my spine. The untrue rumors I heard later of a munchkin killing himself on camera during filming didn’t help either. I’ll still get in a mood if I see part of it in passing. I remember a friend saying that you can play Pink Floyd’s DSOTM alongside this movie and it fits perfectly, I never wanted to try it myself.

That being said, it is totally a staple in American cinema culture. Somewhere Over The Rainbow is one of the most beautiful songs ever, and I’ll listen to that occasionally. Also Toto is the cutest doggo.

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."

View Profile
« Reply #607 on: February 20, 2018, 07:20:12 PM »

I must say, the scene where Dorothy is a prisoner, slowly watching the sands of the hourglass, is very unsettling. Dorothy/Judy Garland looks truly terrified. I sometimes wonder if the director said something to make her upset.
I have read that this was done to child actors such as Jackie Coogan, who co-starred in Chaplin's The Kid. To make him cry they'd say stuff like his Mother was in the hospital or his dog died. Truly vile stuff.

"No White Flags." - Team Gleason

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon

"The best thing you can be 'like' in music is yourself." Dr. John
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #608 on: February 20, 2018, 07:49:13 PM »

That’s terrible! I briefly read some piece by Uma Thurman about how Quentin Tarantino basically ruined her acting career by forcing her to do some stunt and her back and neck haven’t been right since. And sadly apparently the shot where she was injured doesn’t even really show her. Hollywood does some cruel things to actors, actresses. I wonder if that’s why Van Dyke Parks got out of the movie business early on...

KDS
« Reply #609 on: February 21, 2018, 05:34:51 AM »

The

The Wizard of Oz is one of the creepiest/scariest movies I’ve ever seen. It’s actually one of my first memories seeing that on television and it had me creeped out for weeks. Those flying monkeys and that spooky Wizard...all of it just sent shivers down my spine. The untrue rumors I heard later of a munchkin killing himself on camera during filming didn’t help either. I’ll still get in a mood if I see part of it in passing. I remember a friend saying that you can play Pink Floyd’s DSOTM alongside this movie and it fits perfectly, I never wanted to try it myself.

That being said, it is totally a staple in American cinema culture. Somewhere Over The Rainbow is one of the most beautiful songs ever, and I’ll listen to that occasionally. Also Toto is the cutest doggo.

I tried the Dark Side of the Moon thing once.  There were five or six instances where the audio and video seemed to sync up, but I chalk it up to mere coincidence. 

But, anything that encourages people to listen to Pink Floyd or watch The Wizard of Oz is OK by me. 
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #610 on: February 21, 2018, 05:47:14 AM »

Reminds me of that rumor that Pink Floyd was originally supposed to do the music for ‘2001 A Space Odyssey’, but Kubrick decided he didn’t want the soundtrack to be dated by a modern sound, so he instead chose classical works for the music. Apparently all rumor though. Still, besides the original soundtrack I can’t think of a more fitting band to backdrop music on such a movie as that.

KDS
« Reply #611 on: February 21, 2018, 05:53:55 AM »

Reminds me of that rumor that Pink Floyd was originally supposed to do the music for ‘2001 A Space Odyssey’, but Kubrick decided he didn’t want the soundtrack to be dated by a modern sound, so he instead chose classical works for the music. Apparently all rumor though. Still, besides the original soundtrack I can’t think of a more fitting band to backdrop music on such a movie as that.

There is a true story about 2001 and Floyd.  When Roger Waters recorded his Amused to Death album, he wanted to use some of HAL's dialog on the song "Perfect Sense Part 1."  But Kublick wouldn't allow it, so Waters included a backwards message with a swipe at Kubrick. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lx-nmRF8_AA

However, when Waters went on tour in 1999-2000, he used the HAL dialog. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-j4oPSKsjsY
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #612 on: February 21, 2018, 06:09:03 AM »

Okay that’s awesome.

KDS
« Reply #613 on: February 21, 2018, 07:43:02 AM »

Okay that’s awesome.

I'm not sure if Roger got the clearance to use that dialog by 1999.  Or, knowing Roger, he just didn't care, and figured it was fair game on a live stage, and wouldn't be noticed of a relatively low profile live release.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #614 on: February 24, 2018, 06:27:28 PM »

Negative. Is it better?

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
KDS
« Reply #615 on: February 24, 2018, 07:17:00 PM »

Negative. Is it better?

Personally, I dont think its better, but Im a fan of the original

But, Return to Oz has a completely different tone, so you might like it.  Its a much darker movie and its not a musical.   I always wondered why my folks didnt take me to see it in theaters as I was really into the original, but years later when I saw it, I realized its really not a movie for a 5 year old.

In 2013, Sam Raimi directed a prequel called Oz the Great and Powerful (he claims its not a prequel, but I cant see how it isnt) starring James Franco as the wizard when he first arrives in Oz.  It was pretty good.  There was talk of Disney using the movie to launch a new Oz franchise, but it seems nothing came of that. 
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #616 on: February 24, 2018, 07:44:00 PM »

2KDS: By way you describe, the sequel is MUCH cooler. 3D Not that I dislike musicals.

Can't stand Franco but you say it's good, maybe I'll check it.

Which animated feature film do you like? Cartoon made around animated series, comic books ("Tom & Jerry", "Sponge Bob", "Batman"...) excepted. The question is about original characters & script.

KDS
« Reply #617 on: February 25, 2018, 12:28:36 AM »

2KDS: By way you describe, the sequel is MUCH cooler. 3D Not that I dislike musicals.

Can't stand Franco but you say it's good, maybe I'll check it.

Which animated feature film do you like? Cartoon made around animated series, comic books ("Tom & Jerry", "Sponge Bob", "Batman"...) excepted. The question is about original characters & script.

Shrek is a very good animated movie.  The second one was very good too.   

Most other ones I think of are adaptations.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #618 on: February 25, 2018, 12:41:31 AM »

What's about "Shrek" that makes you like it?

Next question - you're big metal band fan - what song did you especially enjoy to hear & didn't even expect it being used in specific film/ sequence?

KDS
« Reply #619 on: February 25, 2018, 01:02:21 AM »

What's about "Shrek" that makes you like it?

Next question - you're big metal band fan - what song did you especially enjoy to hear & didn't even expect it being used in specific film/ sequence?

I like how Shrek took the storybook / fairy tale and threw some irreverant humor at it.

One of the most unexpected uses of a metal song was King Diamond's Welcome Home when Jay and Silent Bob make their first appearance in Clerks II. 

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #620 on: February 25, 2018, 07:27:22 AM »

What is unexpected about its use in "Clerks II"? I didn't see film with such title but, is it exactly about clerks to make metal song bizarre inclusion, as in clean-cut nerdy office workers & hairy loud belters?

Which song do you think could be perfect in many films but it strikes you that you don't hear anywhere, not even in TV shows?

KDS
« Reply #621 on: February 25, 2018, 07:57:51 AM »

What is unexpected about its use in "Clerks II"? I didn't see film with such title but, is it exactly about clerks to make metal song bizarre inclusion, as in clean-cut nerdy office workers & hairy loud belters?

Which song do you think could be perfect in many films but it strikes you that you don't hear anywhere, not even in TV shows?

Whats odd about the use of a King Diamond song is that his music is rarely used in mainstream media. 

The Blue Oyster Cult song Dancin in the Ruins would have been a perfect montage song for an 80s movie. 
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #622 on: February 25, 2018, 08:17:14 AM »

Can you define "montage song"?

Can you tell favorite example "character sings/ hums famous song in the movie scene" (BBs/ "Full House"/ John Stamos doesn't count)?

KDS
« Reply #623 on: February 25, 2018, 08:51:21 AM »

Can you define "montage song"?

Can you tell favorite example "character sings/ hums famous song in the movie scene" (BBs/ "Full House"/ John Stamos doesn't count)?

Taking a que from the training scene in Rocky, the montage became a staple of 80s movies.   Its basically a 3-5 minute sequence used to move the story along set to music.   Example, Jimmy Buffett's Turning Around in Summer Rental.   

Favorite example of characters singing a song.  Easy.  Bohemian Rhapsody in Wayne's World.   
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #624 on: February 25, 2018, 08:59:30 AM »

Just to add a bit to KDS’s explanation, the visuals in a montage tend to be brief snippets edited together beneath the music rather than using dialogue, and it is basically a way to hasten some point from A to B or pass the time. So in a Rocky movie, it could be numerous training moments (sit ups, weight lifting, running, push ups, more weight lifting), each only a few seconds, but getting across the point: Rocky is dedicated to getting into shape for the big fight. A song is often used for the audio of such a “montage.”

Other typical montage scenes might show a child growing up, someone’s workday routine, a couple’s relationship growing through numerous dates, etc.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 22 23 24 [25] 26 27 28 29 30 ... 56   Go Up
Print
Jump to: