-->
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:08:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News: peteramescarlin.com
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  The Smiley Smile Message Board
|-+  Non Smiley Smile Stuff
| |-+  The Sandbox
| | |-+  What are you watching now?/Favourite Movie of the Moment
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 27 28 29 ... 56   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: What are you watching now?/Favourite Movie of the Moment  (Read 443111 times)
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #575 on: November 26, 2017, 08:15:21 PM »

Perhaps those female characters were included to serve as eye candy?
Tastes differ, you know. Some chaps may think Allen is super-ugly, smb. else that Doody is nothing special or Capshaw isn't their bag. Which means they would like to get rid of female character entirely & replace it with guy sidekick to Indiana. Or make the girl in the script to be business-like, joke-free &/ or Jones staying at cool distance with her. Don't see what's really difficult about it. It could be done.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
KDS
« Reply #576 on: November 27, 2017, 05:37:57 AM »

Disagree with everything you said there, KDS.

New question - did you see "The Expendables" trilogy? With due respect to great Sylvester, imo it's lousy to join together veteran action film stars. 2-3 people at a time is much better, too many famous faces clash by egos. It reeks of being super film, it's about getting as many famous names as possible to draw gullible peope in. What do you think?

Fair enough. 

I didn't bother with The Expendables.  However, there was an action franchise that put a lot of famous names together that I thought was much much better - Red and Red 2, starring Bruce Willis among others.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #577 on: November 27, 2017, 06:26:30 PM »

"Better", with Bruce Boring Willis? Tongue Do you like action movie type? The least favorite? Do you believe there must be good script, if it's fight start-finish you're glued to screen impassive?

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
KDS
« Reply #578 on: November 28, 2017, 05:21:38 AM »

"Better", with Bruce Boring Willis? Tongue Do you like action movie type? The least favorite? Do you believe there must be good script, if it's fight start-finish you're glued to screen impassive?

What about Bruce Willis do you find boring? 

I'm not a huge action movie fan, especially recent action movies that rely more heavily on pyrotechnics, loud explosions, and nubile women in revealing outfits.  I like a good story, and some characters I can identify with.  That's one of the reasons I like Willis as a leading man.  In the first three Die Hard movies, John McClane isn't a bulky mega man.  He's an average guy who has to do above average things, and he throws a good amount of wit and humor into the mix, which I like.  Around the 4th movie, he started to become super human.  By the 5th one, it was a joke.

I also like the Lethal Weapon franchise a lot.  Good stories, fun characters, and a dose of humor with the action.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #579 on: December 01, 2017, 05:40:02 AM »

Willis is classic typecast - plays the same character, doesn't change acting style film-by-film, equally bald in each movie. The single exception will be him playing loser scientist in "Death Becomes Her" (1992).

Christmas soon - you said before you dislike remakes idea, does it apply to Christmas movies? During weekend, i'd seen the "Miracle on 34th Street" 1959, 1973 & 1994 remakes. The latter stars the guy who played in boring 1st Season to "American Horror Story", Dylan McDermott (John Payne replace), Elisabeth Perkins (Susan's mother) & annoying kid actor Mara Wilson (Susan). I wouldn't advise to see it, even if Richard Attenborough ("Jurassic Park" fame) is 2nd best to 1947 Kris Kringle by great Edmund Gwenn.

KDS
« Reply #580 on: December 01, 2017, 05:46:42 AM »

Willis is classic typecast - plays the same character, doesn't change acting style film-by-film, equally bald in each movie. The single exception will be him playing loser scientist in "Death Becomes Her" (1992).

Christmas soon - you said before you dislike remakes idea, does it apply to Christmas movies? During weekend, i'd seen the "Miracle on 34th Street" 1959, 1973 & 1994 remakes. The latter stars the guy who played in boring 1st Season to "American Horror Story", Dylan McDermott (John Payne replace), Elisabeth Perkins (Susan's mother) & annoying kid actor Mara Wilson (Susan). I wouldn't advise to see it, even if Richard Attenborough ("Jurassic Park" fame) is 2nd best to 1947 Kris Kringle by great Edmund Gwenn.

I'll agree that many of Willis's action parts channel his iconic John McClane role.  But, I think he was great in The Sixth Sense too. 

I've never seen the 1994 version of Miracle.  Believe it or not, I only saw the original about five years ago for the first time.  That 1994 version came out before box offices were absolutely flooded with remakes like now.  But, I've heard it changes very little from the 1947 version, so I'll likely just stick to that one.  Although if I catch the 1994 version on TV, or it's available to watch for free, I might check it out.  Oddly enough, I've seen the 1973 version.  It's...eh ok. 

One of my all time favorite Christmas movies can be considered a remake (though it's really one of many many adaptations).  I love the 1951 version of A Christmas Carol with Allistar Sim as Scrooge.  There are several versions of A Christmas Carol I really like, including the 1984 version with George C Scott, the 1988 modern version Scrooged with Bill Murray, the 1992 Muppets Christmas Carol, and the 1983 short Mickey's Christmas Carol. 
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #581 on: December 01, 2017, 06:13:29 AM »

2009 "Christmas Carol" with computerized Jim Carrey is superbad. Did you see? & I don't find anything funny about Bill Murray's schtick. If we discuss comedians, I prefer Steve Martin, Chris Tucker, Tim Allen, Chevy Chase, 50% of Police Academy, Eddie Murphy.

Which Christmas theme in movies do you think isn't used as much as it should? F.ex. there is Santa Claus, elves, raindeer, family gathering, the Christmas wish realizes, parents divorced brought together by kids etc.

KDS
« Reply #582 on: December 01, 2017, 06:56:28 AM »

2009 "Christmas Carol" with computerized Jim Carrey is superbad. Did you see? & I don't find anything funny about Bill Murray's schtick. If we discuss comedians, I prefer Steve Martin, Chris Tucker, Tim Allen, Chevy Chase, 50% of Police Academy, Eddie Murphy.

Which Christmas theme in movies do you think isn't used as much as it should? F.ex. there is Santa Claus, elves, raindeer, family gathering, the Christmas wish realizes, parents divorced brought together by kids etc.

Unfortunately, I did see the 2009 Christmas Carol, and I'll never make that mistake again.  To be honest, I was OK with the movie until the Ghost of Xmas Future sequence, when it just gonna went off the rails.  Jim Carrey needs to stay away from Christmas classics, because I disliked The Grinch also. 

I'm a HUGE Bill Murray fan.  Ghostbusters is one of my all time favorite movies.  Scrooged is one of my top two favorite Christmas movies. 

Hmmmm, Christmas themes not explored much?  I don't know.  It seems most of the Christmas stuff I watch has the bases pretty well covered.  I wouldn't mind seeing a modern Christmas comedy set in the 1980s, like a throwback movie in the vein of The Wedding Singer or Take Me Home Tonight.  I have no idea what the premise would be, but it could be a fun nostalgia based movie about Christmas when I grew up. 
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #583 on: December 02, 2017, 01:53:15 PM »

The first in a trilogy:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Before_Sunrise

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #584 on: December 02, 2017, 11:49:18 PM »

Unfortunately, I did see the 2009 Christmas Carol, and I'll never make that mistake again.  To be honest, I was OK with the movie until the Ghost of Xmas Future sequence, when it just gonna went off the rails.  Jim Carrey needs to stay away from Christmas classics, because I disliked The Grinch also. 

I'm a HUGE Bill Murray fan.  Ghostbusters is one of my all time favorite movies.  Scrooged is one of my top two favorite Christmas movies. 

Hmmmm, Christmas themes not explored much?  I don't know.  It seems most of the Christmas stuff I watch has the bases pretty well covered.  I wouldn't mind seeing a modern Christmas comedy set in the 1980s, like a throwback movie in the vein of The Wedding Singer or Take Me Home Tonight.  I have no idea what the premise would be, but it could be a fun nostalgia based movie about Christmas when I grew up. 
"Grinch" shouldn't exist. I don't like Jim Carrey either. His best movie - "Mask".

Thing about Murray, I like smb. *else* in movies he stars in - in "Ghostbusters" it's guy in wheelchair, in "Scrooged", it's cheeky taxi driver ghost, girl ghost, his secretary & her brood, his young brother, Robert Mitchum & my favorite Bob Goldthwaite who was super-cool as Zed in "Police Academy". 3D

You know, it's funny, I don't like movies about sports but recently the filmercial ran in TV of "The Mighty Ducks". I immediately remembered that it was fun to see. You'd seen it? With Emilio Estevez.

KDS
« Reply #585 on: December 03, 2017, 07:24:01 AM »

"Grinch" shouldn't exist. I don't like Jim Carrey either. His best movie - "Mask".

Thing about Murray, I like smb. *else* in movies he stars in - in "Ghostbusters" it's guy in wheelchair, in "Scrooged", it's cheeky taxi driver ghost, girl ghost, his secretary & her brood, his young brother, Robert Mitchum & my favorite Bob Goldthwaite who was super-cool as Zed in "Police Academy". 3D

You know, it's funny, I don't like movies about sports but recently the filmercial ran in TV of "The Mighty Ducks". I immediately remembered that it was fun to see. You'd seen it? With Emilio Estevez.

Believe or it not, Ive never seen any of the Mighty Ducks movies. 

Speaking of The Grinch, Ive yet to see a live action adaptation of a cartoon thats any good.  The first Flintstones movie was probably the best, and its just OK. 
NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."

View Profile
« Reply #586 on: December 11, 2017, 11:39:57 AM »

Finally saw Deja Vu yesterday. This movie was filmed in 2006. I was still a Katrina Nomad then, not returning for good until late summer 2007. But I would have to go into town on occasion having to cross the bridge over the Mississippi River. There was an announcement on the radio letting us know not to freak out if we hear explosions around the bridge. Those explosions were in conjunction with this movie. As for Deja Vu I thought it was silly even though I'm a Denzel Washington fan. However Don't Worry Baby never sounded better.

Then I saw Lassie Come Home. Animal stories always tear me up. When Lassie limped to the school to meet the little boy I was blubbering like a baby LOL.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2017, 11:42:30 AM by NOLA BB Fan » Logged

"No White Flags." - Team Gleason

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon

"The best thing you can be 'like' in music is yourself." Dr. John
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #587 on: January 29, 2018, 05:49:59 AM »

December-January list:

Liz's recommendation "Kedi". 5/5

Emily's recommendation "All About Eve". 1/5

Chocolate Shake's general Jean-Luc Godard recommendation. 3/5.

Since I liked Anna Karina, I decided to check the non-Godard movie. I stopped at "La Religieuse". 4/5

"The Children's Hour" 1/5

SCaroline Z recommended "The Apartment" via our pm chat (gotta say, I prefer British "flat". 3/5

Checked the next Jack Lemmon flick, "The Great Race" which teams him up again with Tony Curtis, plus Peter Falk & Natalie Wood. 5/5

Rewatched "Misery", Stephen King-based picture. Kathy Bates really shines here, the Academy jury gave her the Oscar rightly. But, I really hated the actor who played opposite her, what's his name again. Such poor casting choice, I wish smb. else played the guy. Not the A-list, it could be newbie. I said before about not liking horrors with humor element. But, the DVDs I buy translated into Russian. The "voice" of Kathy Bates when she punches the guy's legs & yells "Mr. Man!" is too funny, it makes her furor hyperbolic. Well it's Kathy's humor - she did funny faces when she went psychotic. It didn't disappoint to see horror in humor light/ angle. Besides, Kathy still stayed frightful in her heroine's body. 5/5

Big favorite, "Spiral Staircase" (1945). I really adore Dorothy McGuire here, playing charming pretty mute girl. Maybe my absolute favorite female lead in any movie. It stars Ethel Barrymore, famous American stage actress, she dominated it with Helen Hayes. Reasons it became favorite: 1) it's black & white 2) likeable leading lady 3) great whodunit plot 4) the events develop inside the house (really like this type movies: people being in the house & everything goes inside the house) 4) twisted ending 5) fitting music score. 5/5
« Last Edit: February 06, 2018, 07:42:04 AM by RangeRoverA1 » Logged

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #588 on: February 06, 2018, 07:46:57 AM »

Question to KDS: Did you see "Manos: The Hands Of Fate"? Is it bad indeed? I read it's critically panned but did/ do casual viewers like it? It's funny that bad films can later be cults.

KDS
« Reply #589 on: February 06, 2018, 08:20:21 AM »

Question to KDS: Did you see "Manos: The Hands Of Fate"? Is it bad indeed? I read it's critically panned but did/ do casual viewers like it? It's funny that bad films can later be cults.

I can't say I've ever seen it. 

But, there are some movies that are so terrible, that people watch them for how absurdly bad they are.   Often called "so bad, it's good" kind of thing.  I don't 100% buy into that. 

There are some movies that're intentionally cheesy that can be fun in the right frame of mind, but they don't warrant repeat viewings.   For example, the ridiculous over the top monster movies produced by The Asylum - ie. Sharknado. 
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #590 on: February 06, 2018, 08:41:11 AM »

I think thats one of the better movies to be riffed on by Mystery Science Theatre...and by “better” I mean its just so bad that the Mystery Science Theatre does a fantastic job making fun of it haha.

Recently watched Dunkirk and I can’t get it out of my head. I can’t believe it got such mixed reviews, but I can see how some wouldn’t like it - as the timeline is weird (though I loved that aspect of it) and its not your typical war film. The cinematography, those dogfighting scenes, and the jarring nature of the ships going down - all of it made for one hell of a film. I can’t wait to see it again.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #591 on: February 06, 2018, 08:45:29 AM »

But, there are some movies that are so terrible, that people watch them for how absurdly bad they are.   Often called "so bad, it's good" kind of thing.  I don't 100% buy into that.
Yep, me too.

There are some movies that're intentionally cheesy that can be fun in the right frame of mind, but they don't warrant repeat viewings.
My fave cheesy flick must be "Loaded Weapon 1".

It's parody movie but there's movies that don't blatantly rip off but show references to classic old films in humorless, serious way. F.ex. "Dead Of Winter" (1987) with Mary Steenburgen & Roddy McDowall. If you see it, there's refs to Hitchcock - the panoramic view which starts "Psycho"; the guy with broken leg, "Rear Window"; woman driver being stopped by police officer & she hiding the content of bag with her scarf, "Psycho" again etc. Did you see any such film with serious, non-parody references to the previous films?

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #592 on: February 06, 2018, 08:50:40 AM »

I think thats one of the better movies to be riffed on by Mystery Science Theatre...and by “better” I mean its just so bad that the Mystery Science Theatre does a fantastic job making fun of it haha.
Does Mystery Science Theater - btw, didn't hear about such theater before - specialize in making fun of movies? Is it the same as mentioned in BBs threads rifftrax?

KDS
« Reply #593 on: February 06, 2018, 09:00:21 AM »

Yep, me too.

There are some movies that're intentionally cheesy that can be fun in the right frame of mind, but they don't warrant repeat viewings.
My fave cheesy flick must be "Loaded Weapon 1".

It's parody movie but there's movies that don't blatantly rip off but show references to classic old films in humorless, serious way. F.ex. "Dead Of Winter" (1987) with Mary Steenburgen & Roddy McDowall. If you see it, there's refs to Hitchcock - the panoramic view which starts "Psycho"; the guy with broken leg, "Rear Window"; woman driver being stopped by police officer & she hiding the content of bag with her scarf, "Psycho" again etc. Did you see any such film with serious, non-parody references to the previous films?

There's a bit of a difference between parody movies and tongue in cheek cheesiness of The Asylum / Roger Corman, etc etc.

National Lampoon's Loaded Weapon 1 was an extremely underrated send up of the Lethal Weapon franchise, with references to Silence of the Lambs, Die Hard, 48 Hours, and other action movies thrown in.  I honestly don't know how the movie's not more well known.  It's a hilarious parody movie with a stellar cast - Samuel L Jackson, Tim Curry, William Shatner, among others.

Where as movies like Pirahnaconda or Attack of the 50 Foot Cheerleader are movies that aren't necessarily comedies, meaning the writers aren't writing jokes or funny set-ups, but the material is pretty absurd, so you can either take it as an absurd movie and have a laugh, or dismiss it as a cinematic turd. 

As for Mystery Science Theater, it was a TV show that actually featured comedic running commentary during full length movies.   It used to air on the early Comedy Central, then went to the Sci Fi Channel (now SyFy).  I believe it was recently revived on Netflix. 
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #594 on: February 06, 2018, 09:01:03 AM »

Does Mystery Science Theater - btw, didn't hear about such theater before - specialize in making fun of movies? Is it the same as mentioned in BBs threads rifftrax?

Not sure about your second question, but yeah, Mystery Science Theater specializes in making fun of bad movies. It’s 2 puppets and a human on a space station forced to watch bad movies who riff on the movies with pretty funny jokes. It sounds completely ridiculous (and it is). I watched it as a kid, which is probably why I still like seeing them from time to time.

Not sure if you can access this, but here is their episode where they riff on Manos:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DnxVbGZNHSs

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #595 on: February 06, 2018, 09:17:05 AM »

There's a bit of a difference between parody movies and tongue in cheek cheesiness of The Asylum / Roger Corman, etc etc.
I didn't say "Asylum" is parody movie.

National Lampoon's Loaded Weapon 1 was an extremely underrated send up of the Lethal Weapon franchise, with references to Silence of the Lambs, Die Hard, 48 Hours, and other action movies thrown in.  I honestly don't know how the movie's not more well known.  It's a hilarious parody movie with a stellar cast - Samuel L Jackson, Tim Curry, William Shatner, among others.
Yep. 3D

You missed this question which I'd like to discuss. Besides, it's interesting question:

[...]but there's movies that don't blatantly rip off but show references to classic old films in humorless, serious way. F.ex. "Dead Of Winter" (1987) with Mary Steenburgen & Roddy McDowall. If you see it, there's refs to Hitchcock - the panoramic view which starts "Psycho"; the guy with broken leg, "Rear Window"; woman driver being stopped by police officer & she hiding the content of bag with her scarf, "Psycho" again etc. Did you see any such film with serious, non-parody references to the previous films?

KDS
« Reply #596 on: February 06, 2018, 09:20:51 AM »

I didn't say "Asylum" is parody movie.

Yep. 3D

You missed this question which I'd like to discuss. Besides, it's interesting question:

[...]but there's movies that don't blatantly rip off but show references to classic old films in humorless, serious way. F.ex. "Dead Of Winter" (1987) with Mary Steenburgen & Roddy McDowall. If you see it, there's refs to Hitchcock - the panoramic view which starts "Psycho"; the guy with broken leg, "Rear Window"; woman driver being stopped by police officer & she hiding the content of bag with her scarf, "Psycho" again etc. Did you see any such film with serious, non-parody references to the previous films?

Asylum isn't a movie.   It's a studio that produces very low budget monster / horror movies, most notably Sharknado.

Speaking of sharks, one of the most famous scenes involving a reference / tribute to another film is probably in Jaws.  As Roy Schieder's character sits on the beach, watching a boy get attacked by a shark, the camera does the push / pull effect that Hitchcock made famous in Vertigo.  Speilberg has said that was a tribute to Hitchcock. 

That's the only one I can recall off hand, but I know there are a ton of references / tributes throughout movies that are played for laughs. 
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #597 on: February 06, 2018, 09:22:57 AM »

Not sure about your second question
Look this bit posted in the main board & answer past question:

It's a truly hilarious film, much more watchable via Rifftrax:

http://www.rifftrax.com/rotor

This one is also easy to buy, as you can buy the riff as a full video, as opposed to some other riffs where you buy the audio and have to already have access to the video.

but yeah, Mystery Science Theater specializes in making fun of bad movies.
Bad movies? I see.

Shall check the link, thanks.

KDS
« Reply #598 on: February 06, 2018, 09:27:33 AM »

Not sure about your second question
Look this bit posted in the main board & answer past question:

It's a truly hilarious film, much more watchable via Rifftrax:

http://www.rifftrax.com/rotor

This one is also easy to buy, as you can buy the riff as a full video, as opposed to some other riffs where you buy the audio and have to already have access to the video.

but yeah, Mystery Science Theater specializes in making fun of bad movies.
Bad movies? I see.

Shall check the link, thanks.

Rifftrax is basically the same concept as Mystery Science Theater. 
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #599 on: February 06, 2018, 09:36:46 AM »

Speaking of sharks, one of the most famous scenes involving a reference / tribute to another film is probably in Jaws.  As Roy Schieder's character sits on the beach, watching a boy get attacked by a shark, the camera does the push / pull effect that Hitchcock made famous in Vertigo.  Spielberg has said that was a tribute to Hitchcock.
It's interesting example you brought - camera effects re-used by new director in new film (in this case, new in relation to Hitch).

In "Secret Window", Johnny Depp's character's name is Norman. It's less popular name & since it's suspense, I regard it as "Psycho" ref.

That's the only one I can recall off hand, but I know there are a ton of references / tributes throughout movies that are played for laughs.
But my question is about serious refs/ tributes. Usually used in the same genre film (suspense refs in suspense movie, old horror movie refs in new horror movie...) as director displaying (subtly) he's fan to the past director.

Pages: 1 ... 19 20 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 27 28 29 ... 56   Go Up
Print
Jump to: