-->
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 21, 2017, 06:05:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News: Beach Boys Britain
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  The Smiley Smile Message Board
|-+  Non Smiley Smile Stuff
| |-+  The Sandbox
| | |-+  What are you watching now?/Favourite Movie of the Moment
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 21 22 [23]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: What are you watching now?/Favourite Movie of the Moment  (Read 48333 times)
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink tea. wanna join?

View Profile
« Reply #550 on: September 07, 2017, 05:05:27 AM »

I've always meant to explore more Hammer Horror movies, but just never got around to it. 
You said before you like Hammer. But, is there horror that really disappointed you, i.e. not frightful enough?

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post in SmileySmile.

Quote from: Some chap in Beatles picture
I BROOK NO DENIAL.

"Faultily faultless, icily regular, splendidly null." - Edmund Swettenham citates Lord Alfred Tennyson in "Murder Is Announced" by Agatha Christie.
KDS
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #551 on: September 07, 2017, 06:06:54 AM »

I've always meant to explore more Hammer Horror movies, but just never got around to it.  
You said before you like Hammer. But, is there horror that really disappointed you, i.e. not frightful enough?

Good question.  One horror movie that I found extremely disappointing was the original The Wicker Man, especially since it featured Hammer legend Christopher Lee.  Though I liked the twist ending, I found the movie itself to be a bit weird and dull (like the song and dance number in the first act).  

More recently, Rob Zombie's Lords of Salem was quite underwhelming.  I found his House of 1000 Corpses and The Devil's Rejects to be fun tributes to 1970s horror.  But his attempt at supernatural horror just fell flat in my opinion.

I don't watch a ton of recent horror movies.  Too many sequels and remakes out there.   For example, Lions Gate took a great little movie like Saw, and ran it into the ground with six sequels with another on the horizon (had they stopped after III, it would've been fine).  
« Last Edit: September 07, 2017, 10:26:02 AM by KDS » Logged

Any opinions posted by me regarding the music of The Beach Boys, and their members, is in no way a show of disrespect towards any member of The Beach Boys, past or present.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink tea. wanna join?

View Profile
« Reply #552 on: September 07, 2017, 06:14:58 AM »

I see. Speaking of Christopher Lee, many regard him the leading horror man. The 80s flicks fans think it's Robert Englund. The vintage American horror fans think it's Bela Lugosi &/ or Boris Karloff. Who do YOU regard to be such title?

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post in SmileySmile.

I BROOK NO DENIAL.

"Faultily faultless, icily regular, splendidly null." - Edmund Swettenham citates Lord Alfred Tennyson in "Murder Is Announced" by Agatha Christie.
KDS
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #553 on: September 07, 2017, 06:39:59 AM »

I see. Speaking of Christopher Lee, many regard him the leading horror man. The 80s flicks fans think it's Robert Englund. The vintage American horror fans think it's Bela Lugosi &/ or Boris Karloff. Who do YOU regard to be such title?

I really don't think you can pick a definitive horror leading man.  Especially since great horror goes back 80+ years.  What scared people in the 30s, 40s, and 50s seemed pretty tame in the 1980s. 

If I had to pick one, though, I'd probably nominate Vincent Price.  From the somewhat campy House on Haunted Hill and Corman Edgar Allan Poe movies to the dark Last Man on Earth (the first of several filmed versions of I Am Legend), and many many more including House of Wax and Dr. Phibes.  His movies may not be the scariest in the world, but they're almost always 90 minutes of wonderful entertainment.

Any opinions posted by me regarding the music of The Beach Boys, and their members, is in no way a show of disrespect towards any member of The Beach Boys, past or present.
KDS
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #554 on: September 08, 2017, 05:57:40 AM »

Speaking of horror, I watched the first episode of American Horror Story: Cult last night. 

Frankly, this is a series I've almost quit on several times.  I loved the first two series (Murder House and Asylum).   I though the third series (Coven) was OK.  But the fourth and fifth (Freak Show and Hotel) were garbage.  I kept coming back because they employ good actors (though the writing leaves a LOT to be desired).  I really liked last year's Roanoke. 

This year's Cult might be decent, but I couldn't really get a good feel from the first episode.  It's a little controversial as the spring board for this series' story is the 2016 US Election, but I think it lampoons the extreme natures of both Trump and Hillary supporters.  The first episode was more of a set-up for the series, so we'll see how it goes. 

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink tea. wanna join?

View Profile
« Reply #555 on: September 09, 2017, 08:21:27 PM »

I really don't think you can pick a definitive horror leading man.  Especially since great horror goes back 80+ years.  What scared people in the 30s, 40s, and 50s seemed pretty tame in the 1980s. 

If I had to pick one, though, I'd probably nominate Vincent Price.  From the somewhat campy House on Haunted Hill and Corman Edgar Allan Poe movies to the dark Last Man on Earth (the first of several filmed versions of I Am Legend), and many many more including House of Wax and Dr. Phibes.  His movies may not be the scariest in the world, but they're almost always 90 minutes of wonderful entertainment.
Thanks, very good answer. You mention "Dr. Phibes", horror AND comedy. It means you don't just like pure horror - other horrors too. But don't you think the genre loses its boundary/ relevance/ value? In hour plus' time the movie depicts horror, action, comedy, crime etc. It isn't frightful anymore. What will you say?

I BROOK NO DENIAL.

KDS
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #556 on: September 09, 2017, 10:16:57 PM »

Thanks, very good answer. You mention "Dr. Phibes", horror AND comedy. It means you don't just like pure horror - other horrors too. But don't you think the genre loses its boundary/ relevance/ value? In hour plus' time the movie depicts horror, action, comedy, crime etc. It isn't frightful anymore. What will you say?

I like the mix of horror and comedy.  I dont think it makes the genre lose any value.  Plus, its pure entertainment when something can scare you and make you laugh

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #557 on: September 10, 2017, 07:40:19 AM »

I started watching the new season of Bojack Horseman.

Demon-Fighting Genius, Patronizing Twaddler, Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick, and Sensationalist Dullard, and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Ovi
Smiley Smile Associate

They know I'm rock 'n' roll through and through.

View Profile
« Reply #558 on: September 10, 2017, 02:44:09 PM »

I started watching the new season of Bojack Horseman.

Best show on TV right now IMO.

A band called The Beach Boys are mostly going to be a fun in the sun-themed group. And that has, is, and will always be just as it should. There needs to be ONE classic band that isn't a pack of endless "artistic" moan. All people wanna do is make The Beach Boys into another Beatles they are less tired of.
And, for anyone who has actually experienced them, surfing and cars carry PLENTY of emotion and life experience. They can carry as much metaphor as any Van Dyke Parks clever epistle.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #559 on: September 10, 2017, 02:45:39 PM »

Agreed

Demon-Fighting Genius, Patronizing Twaddler, Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick, and Sensationalist Dullard, and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
blueeyedtreefrog
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #560 on: September 10, 2017, 03:38:37 PM »

There will be no new Twin Peaks episode today  Sad  In my opinion, its 18 episodes were the great audiovisual event of the year.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink tea. wanna join?

View Profile
« Reply #561 on: September 10, 2017, 10:15:56 PM »

I like the mix of horror and comedy.  I dont think it makes the genre lose any value.  Plus, its pure entertainment when something can scare you and make you laugh
OK, not convinced by that.

Did you see "The Dark Tower" yet? Is it good? Read the book?

Do you believe screenwriters should get their new ideas than smb. else's? It seems mainly they make movies "based on [title]". It frequently ends up being epic fail. Original ideas can fail too but at least nobody will sue them, no deceased writer's fam & friends. Discuss.

I BROOK NO DENIAL.

KDS
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #562 on: September 11, 2017, 05:22:14 AM »

OK, not convinced by that.

Did you see "The Dark Tower" yet? Is it good? Read the book?

Do you believe screenwriters should get their new ideas than smb. else's? It seems mainly they make movies "based on [title]". It frequently ends up being epic fail. Original ideas can fail too but at least nobody will sue them, no deceased writer's fam & friends. Discuss.

I haven't seen The Dark Tower or read the book.  I'm honestly not a huge Stephen King devotee.  I've also read a small handful of his books, and have seen maybe 8 of his movie adaptations. 

Since the beginning of moving pictures, there have always been movies based on books.  Some movies based on books are great (Dracula, Jaws, Jurassic Park).  I'd rather see more book to film adaptations than the endless barrage or remakes, reboots, and sequels we get now. 

Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 21 22 [23]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: