-->
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:10:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News: Bellagio 10452
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  The Smiley Smile Message Board
|-+  Non Smiley Smile Stuff
| |-+  The Sandbox
| | |-+  What are you watching now?/Favourite Movie of the Moment
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 25 26 27 ... 56   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: What are you watching now?/Favourite Movie of the Moment  (Read 443187 times)
KDS
« Reply #525 on: April 26, 2017, 10:19:40 AM »

Bubby Waves get the official Steve Zisou adidas sneakers? Wink
Not yet... besides, he's not so much of a sneaker guy. Tongue

Currently watching The Office* with him. We're like a better version of Jim & Pam.

*U.S. version

What a great show that was.  Though, I think they really should've pulled the plug after Carell left.
SurfRapGrungeFiend
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #526 on: May 06, 2017, 10:46:24 AM »

Over the edge 1979

Surf music, Old school rap and The Seattle Sound

DJ Paul- Hi, I'm Chucky

Danny Greene and the Celtic Club

"I have no axe to grind, but if these maggots in this so-called Mafia want to come after me, I'm over here by the Celtic Club. I'm not hard to find'
NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."

View Profile
« Reply #527 on: June 28, 2017, 07:54:25 PM »

Finally saw "Hugo" today. In the US, Netflix has it available online until 1 July.

What a magical film! I'm a sucker for gizmos. Like to see them, don't need to know HOW they work.
Also I love real old films, the way they were made. After watching Hugo I watched Melies'  1902 film "A Trip to the Moon," along with other short films by the Lumiere Brothers. Finally, watched a short film from 1905 showing Coney Island at night. Absolutely magical.
Makes me want to get in a time machine to go back to the turn of the last century. But the realistic side of me realizes, sadly, that it was not actually such a "magical" time for most people back then.

"No White Flags." - Team Gleason

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon

"The best thing you can be 'like' in music is yourself." Dr. John
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #528 on: July 01, 2017, 01:49:49 AM »

Also I love real old films, the way they were made. After watching Hugo I watched Melies'  1902 film "A Trip to the Moon," along with other short films by the Lumiere Brothers. Finally, watched a short film from 1905 showing Coney Island at night. Absolutely magical.

Love those ancient films. They have this wide-eyed innocence about them that the cinema lost long ago.

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #529 on: July 02, 2017, 07:02:32 AM »

Watched this a few days ago. Lars Von Trier's Melancholia is a movie that grabs you and doesn't let go...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2kP-vuOy8cU

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Melancholia_(2011_film)

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #530 on: July 27, 2017, 02:53:11 AM »

1st time in 10 yrs tune in TV & - bam! - the TV series "Columbo" runs. It used to be fave at 9 yrs old. Some really cool eps; good thing am not too late into the 90s-2000s with last worn out seasons. But not from the start (1971) either. They got to 1976. I really like the ep "By Dawn's Early Light" (1974) about cadet academy. Their commandant murders some chap who doesn't like the old education system to stay & votes for strict rules in the academy to be dismissed & the place to be liberal/ democratic? with young people. Stars British-turned-American popular TV/ film/ stage actor Patrick McGoohan who I read in Imdb is friends with Peter Falk/ Columbo. He's behind the camera in few eps himself, as director & screenwriter. But this ep isn't directed by him. He just plays the lead/ commandant.

That very ep features...BBs/ DW trivia...young Karen Lamm in small role. About 2 minutes screen time. & funny fact - some actor's name in the intro is "Burr DeBenning". Can you believe it? Burr! Really funny name, like BBs lyric "It's so cold I go burr". Haha!

Lastly, in this well-crafted/ written episode I discovered new phrase "Boodle boy". McGoohan's character said it when speaking to Columbo who reasked "What did you call him?" - (in military voice) "Boodle boy". I googled this phrase with bad luck. Maybe it's too ancient. But the commandant used it in reference to the cadet, young man who brought him breakfast to his room every day. Some kinda servant. Bottom line: good educational episode with great suspicion, great villain.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #531 on: July 27, 2017, 05:27:51 AM »

Love the Falk.

He's in one of my favourite movies: A Woman Under the Influence. But I also watched Columbo as a kid. I should revisit it someday.
KDS
« Reply #532 on: July 27, 2017, 05:31:19 AM »

Almost by accident, my wife and I stumbled upon the sitcom Last Man Standing.  We came across on via reruns on the Hallmark Channel. 

I don't think I've ever noticed it as I rarely watch anything on ABC these days.  But, now that the show's cancelled, I'm sorry I missed out.  We might binge watch this Fall / Winter.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #533 on: July 27, 2017, 06:19:58 AM »

Love the Falk.

He's in one of my favourite movies: A Woman Under the Influence. But I also watched Columbo as a kid. I should revisit it someday.
Yep, they did show it too. It's John Cassavetes film, they declared. Stars his wife Gena Rowlands & both his & her mothers (whose name is too funny - Lady Rowlands, ha!). Gena played mentally ill. I rooted for her but didn't like husband (Falk). Rude, intolerant etc. Fitting piano-driven music. Reminds "Harry & Tonto" in this regard. What's with kids / little girl running naked? Disturbing to see child bare bottom/  chest.  Do you agree? What review can you give? Why it's in the list of your favorites?

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #534 on: July 27, 2017, 06:38:31 AM »

Love the Falk.

Yep, they did show it too. It's John Cassavetes film, they declared. Stars his wife Gena Rowlands & both his & her mothers (whose name is too funny - Lady Rowlands, ha!). Gena played mentally ill. I rooted for her but didn't like husband (Falk). Rude, intolerant etc. Fitting piano-driven music. Reminds "Harry & Tonto" in this regard. What's with kids / little girl running naked? Disturbing to see child bare bottom/  chest.  Do you agree? What review can you give? Why it's in the list of your favorites?

Well, I'm generally not a big fan of realism in film but I do think that the movie captures a genuineness at a level that no other film that I have ever seen has achieved. And I don't think I have ever been more sympathetic towards a character than I have been to the Gena Rowlands character in that movie. But, at the same time, I don't have quite the same reaction as you towards Falk. He is undeniably flawed but I have sympathy for him as well. He's trying to do what he thinks is the best thing. We can sit back and say it's not but it's hard to imagine what being in that kind of situation is like. But there is that remarkable moment where the children clearly side with the mother and he tries to win them back. I don't know how to say it really, but every moment is beautifully conceived.

To be perfectly honest, I don't remember the scene that you are characterizing as disturbing but I don't particularly recall thinking that there was anything exploitative in the film, much like I'm okay with the ending of Tarkovsky's Ivan's Childhood.
KDS
« Reply #535 on: August 01, 2017, 06:16:17 AM »

Being stressed out makes me seek out light comedies from the 80s and early 90s.

Last night, we watched a gem that I often forget about, but it's so good - Quick Change.  Bill Murray in top form with a great cast of Geena Davis, Randy Quaid, Jason Robarts, Stanley Tucci, Phil Hartman, Tony Shaloub, Kurtwood Smith.  It's such a funny movie that often gets lost in the shuffle.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #536 on: August 04, 2017, 06:06:04 AM »

Watched Casablanca late last night. What a wonderful, heartwarming film. And it's simply dripping with quotable one-liners.

This is its theme tune, "As Time Goes By", sung here by Rosemary Clooney (a BW connection) more than a decade later:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xpv_9W0TmuI

While checking Wikipedia for an appropriate version I noticed Bob Dylan had done it but also someone called Vov Dylan. It looks like Bob typed without due care and consideration but this man really does exist! In fact Vov holds the world record for the fastest ever violin rendition of the "Flight Of The Bumble Bee". LOL

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #537 on: August 11, 2017, 07:22:11 AM »

Well, I'm generally not a big fan of realism in film
Do you dislike it due to difficulties in seeing it as just movie, entertainment? Bring details to this bit you said.

But, at the same time, I don't have quite the same reaction as you towards Falk. He is undeniably flawed but I have sympathy for him as well. He's trying to do what he thinks is the best thing. We can sit back and say it's not but it's hard to imagine what being in that kind of situation is like. But there is that remarkable moment where the children clearly side with the mother and he tries to win them back. I don't know how to say it really, but every moment is beautifully conceived.
Agree to disagree. I see that scene as children thinking their dad hurt the mother, they didn't know she cut her hand with knife, they just see the parents fighting. Then when he demanded children go to sleep, they'd run downstairs to save mother. & this few times.

To be perfectly honest, I don't remember the scene that you are characterizing as disturbing but I don't particularly recall thinking that there was anything exploitative in the film, much like I'm okay with the ending of Tarkovsky's Ivan's Childhood.
It's when the mother invited some children to play with hers, their father shocked to get there & see bare kids. The main character's daughter was running clothes-free. Imo kids' nudity is very disturbing to use, in the same vein as big people's. Smb. may get the idea it's the norm which musn't be.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2017, 07:23:19 AM by RangeRoverA1 » Logged

Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #538 on: August 11, 2017, 01:55:46 PM »

Well, I'm generally not a big fan of realism in film
Do you dislike it due to difficulties in seeing it as just movie, entertainment? Bring details to this bit you said.

I dislike it because film is a form of artifice to begin with so to pretend as if you have eliminated the frames of the medium is absurd. And also, I think it can have negative consequences to the extent that people who watch the films might end up with distorted expectations about real life.

There are lots of exceptions, of course, as Cassavetes is one of them, if only, perhaps, because he takes realism and ratchets it up a notch. In fact, Cassavetes films are proof that people who say they don't like artificiality in art actually really do if they can't sit through the painstaking tempo of his movies.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #539 on: August 11, 2017, 03:30:10 PM »

Watched Dazed and Confused for the 40th time, great movie on par witb American Graffiti for capturing youth angst in  different eras of American History.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #540 on: August 11, 2017, 06:38:35 PM »

Watched Scaramouche (1952), my first swordfight movie at age 5. Hollywood at it's best with Stewart Grainger, Janet Leigh, and others on TCM. Easily four stars, but can't beat out my all time favorite Shane (1952) with Alan Ladd.

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #541 on: August 12, 2017, 03:54:09 AM »

2Chocolate Shake - good answer. Except slow tempo, what can you add else to define "film-realism"? Do you agree with technique to use less famous faces to play in movie to fool the viewers into seeing the story rather than people? Do you in general think in movie the huger role is what's about than who about?

SurfRapGrungeFiend
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #542 on: August 13, 2017, 10:58:02 AM »

Wise blood

Surf music, Old school rap and The Seattle Sound

DJ Paul- Hi, I'm Chucky

Danny Greene and the Celtic Club

"I have no axe to grind, but if these maggots in this so-called Mafia want to come after me, I'm over here by the Celtic Club. I'm not hard to find'
NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."

View Profile
« Reply #543 on: August 13, 2017, 01:01:26 PM »

Wise blood

Had you read the Flannery O'Connor novel it's based on? Was wondering what differences there were.
(I'm a big O'Connor fan)
« Last Edit: August 15, 2017, 06:15:00 PM by NOLA BB Fan » Logged

"No White Flags." - Team Gleason

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon

"The best thing you can be 'like' in music is yourself." Dr. John
KDS
« Reply #544 on: August 15, 2017, 04:14:56 PM »

Watched Dazed and Confused for the 40th time, great movie on par witb American Graffiti for capturing youth angst in  different eras of American History.

I love Dazed and Confused, but Im actually a bigger fan of Detroit Rock City. 
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #545 on: August 25, 2017, 04:24:18 AM »

2 new favorites - "Nightmare" (1964, Hammer Horror) & "Carnival of Souls" aka "Corridors of Evil" (1962, independent horror, cult classic). "Nightmare" about girl dreaming her mother who lives in institution. She's afraid to inherit the bad genes that she'd kill smb. in frenzy too. "Carnival" about girl who single "survived" the accident (as she/ viewers think). She moves to Utah & by driving she catches glimpse of some abandoned building where used to be dance hall/ carnival. She craves to go there but sth./ smb. stops & she occasionally sees ghost face in car window, rented room window, mirror & in flesh. 2 pictures in black & white, "Carnival" in addition features gorgeous gloomy frightful fatalistic organ music by Gene Moore. Yep, I think such description's about right.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2017, 04:27:53 AM by RangeRoverA1 » Logged

KDS
« Reply #546 on: September 06, 2017, 08:35:14 AM »

2 new favorites - "Nightmare" (1964, Hammer Horror) & "Carnival of Souls" aka "Corridors of Evil" (1962, independent horror, cult classic). "Nightmare" about girl dreaming her mother who lives in institution. She's afraid to inherit the bad genes that she'd kill smb. in frenzy too. "Carnival" about girl who single "survived" the accident (as she/ viewers think). She moves to Utah & by driving she catches glimpse of some abandoned building where used to be dance hall/ carnival. She craves to go there but sth./ smb. stops & she occasionally sees ghost face in car window, rented room window, mirror & in flesh. 2 pictures in black & white, "Carnival" in addition features gorgeous gloomy frightful fatalistic organ music by Gene Moore. Yep, I think such description's about right.

I've always meant to explore more Hammer Horror movies, but just never got around to it. 
Ovi
Smiley Smile Associate

They know I'm rock 'n' roll through and through.

View Profile
« Reply #547 on: September 06, 2017, 08:44:23 AM »

Amazing movie. I love Linklater.
Ovi
Smiley Smile Associate

They know I'm rock 'n' roll through and through.

View Profile
« Reply #548 on: September 06, 2017, 08:46:07 AM »

Sunset Bvld. really blew my mind a couple of weeks ago. What a movie.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #549 on: September 07, 2017, 03:33:10 AM »

I've been watching this pilot version of a projected hour-long documentary about J.G. Bennett, one of the most fascinating individuals of the previous century:

https://vimeo.com/52679805

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_G._Bennett
« Last Edit: September 07, 2017, 03:34:08 AM by JK » Logged

Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 25 26 27 ... 56   Go Up
Print
Jump to: