-->
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 12:53:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News: Bellagio 10452
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  The Smiley Smile Message Board
|-+  Non Smiley Smile Stuff
| |-+  The Sandbox
| | |-+  What are you watching now?/Favourite Movie of the Moment
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 24 25 ... 56   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: What are you watching now?/Favourite Movie of the Moment  (Read 443140 times)
?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #475 on: February 04, 2017, 10:06:56 PM »

YES!
SurfRapGrungeFiend
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #476 on: February 12, 2017, 02:57:54 PM »

Dont tell mom the babysitters dead

Surf music, Old school rap and The Seattle Sound

DJ Paul- Hi, I'm Chucky

Danny Greene and the Celtic Club

"I have no axe to grind, but if these maggots in this so-called Mafia want to come after me, I'm over here by the Celtic Club. I'm not hard to find'
undercover-m
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #477 on: February 15, 2017, 02:10:18 AM »

I watched Annie Hall for the first time tonight with Bubs and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Debating on whether or not to buy the Blu-ray version on Amazon. A few CDs and comic books are contesting as well.

"We are pushed to the wall as the heap fills the room to its limits. The window breaks. The house bursts. A heartbreakingly fine Scotch plaid passes before our eyes. Pinstripes carry us into Manhasset Bay."
harrisonjon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #478 on: February 15, 2017, 02:41:27 AM »

Manhattan is an awesome movie that I prefer to Annie Hall.

My Pet Sounds of movies will always be Casablanca
KDS
« Reply #479 on: February 15, 2017, 06:50:22 AM »

Dont tell mom the babysitters dead

I'm not a huge fan of that movie, though it does bring back memories (I remember seeing it in theaters during Summer 1991), but it's rare that I finish washing my dishes without saying "The dishes are done, man!!" 
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #480 on: February 24, 2017, 02:18:07 PM »

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #481 on: February 28, 2017, 03:51:37 PM »

I've been watching on Hulu the Australian series "Please Like Me." It begins with a 20-something couple breaking up more or less as the boyfriend comes out, and goes on basically focused on him, his housemates, and his family. If I had to say the real theme, it's that everyone is f***ed up and that's normal. It's pretty funny.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #482 on: March 01, 2017, 03:23:49 AM »

Ken Burns' civil war! Cool

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
KDS
« Reply #483 on: March 01, 2017, 05:32:30 AM »

I finally watched Deadpool over the weekend. 

Pretty much an anti-super hero movie and, other than a brief somewhat depressing lull to explain why the main character agreed to become mutated, was highly entertaining. 

I think if I were a bigger comic book / super hero fan, I'd have gotten more of the apparently 100+ references / easter eggs, but still a fun way to spend 108 minutes.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #484 on: March 02, 2017, 04:14:25 AM »

"Rebecca", 1940 Alfred Hitchcock film. Then horror "Freaks" (1932) featuring real freak show artists. Dwarfs Hans & Frieda are simply adorable. I like dwarfs, I told my dwarf friend Daiana to see it. She enjoyed it! Smiley

You can't beat black & white horrors. Don't even try. Today's stuff isn't frightening, not to mention they've got dumb characters. Epic fail? Yep.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2017, 07:14:09 AM by RangeRoverA1 » Logged

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
KDS
« Reply #485 on: March 02, 2017, 05:08:41 AM »

Since it's March, and St. Patrick's Day is upon us, I'll find some time to watch the lost Disney classic Darby O Gill and the Little People.

When I was a kid, this movie was on broadcast TV every March 17th, but has seemingly disappeared into obscurity.  Thank goodness for DVD. 
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #486 on: March 15, 2017, 01:21:40 AM »

2KDS: You're big expert with American Horror Story. Being "Freaks" fan, reading blogs, I found its Season 4 was influenced by & took the idea of sideshow performers from 1932 film. Is it good? Interesting? Or should it be passed by?
« Last Edit: March 20, 2017, 02:18:11 AM by RangeRoverA1 » Logged

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
KDS
« Reply #487 on: March 15, 2017, 07:51:43 AM »

Over the weekend, I watched Return to Oz for the first time (only took me 32 years).  I was huge into The Wizard of Oz when the movie came out, and I don't know how I missed it.  Though given the horror elements (since it was released during Disney's "dark" period), it's probably a good thing my parents didn't take me to see it. 

Also, my wife and I finished binge watching the sitcom My Name is Earl.  I watched the first two seasons or so when they first aired around 2005-6, but checked out on it during Season 3 when I just got too busy.  It's a pity that the show ended on a cliffhanger. 
KDS
« Reply #488 on: March 20, 2017, 05:54:50 AM »

2KDS: You're big expert with American Horror Story. Being "Freaks" fan, reading blogs, I found its Season 4 was influenced by & took the idea of sideshow performers from 1932 film. Is it good? Interesting? Or should it be passed by?

I think American Horror Story: Freak Show was easily its weakest season.  The writing is poor and inconsistent, and it seems to be more concerned with shock and sexuality than horror elements. 

There is one episode that pays direct tribute to the movie Freaks.  (Most seasons of American Horror Story take cues from other, more well known and well done sources). 
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #489 on: March 20, 2017, 06:06:16 AM »

"Rebecca", 1940 Alfred Hitchcock film. Then horror "Freaks" (1932) featuring real freak show artists. Dwarfs Hans & Frieda are simply adorable. I like dwarfs, I told my dwarf friend Daiana to see it. She enjoyed it! Smiley

You can't beat black & white horrors. Don't even try. Today's stuff isn't frightening, not to mention they've got dumb characters. Epic fail? Yep.
I love Rebecca.
I watched the first episode of Feud. I'm on the fence whether to continue.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #490 on: March 21, 2017, 06:00:44 AM »

2KDS: Define "blockbuster". Do you think if film gets revenue bigger than budget, it means it's good? Or do you believe if it gets positive reviews it's good but failed to bring money?

2Emily: What you liked in "Rebecca"? Film editing, witty dry English humor dialogs, the cast? Did you read it? De Winter's speaking style was funny, he treated Joan Fontaine's character like granddaughter, not wife. She trying to do everything right, then everytime epic fails! Poor darling. Some random cuteness when she calls the dog chasing after him "Jasper!" "Jasper!". I didn't notice what the characters sound like, just what they say but the way she said that name was simply adorable.

Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #491 on: March 21, 2017, 06:50:30 AM »

Love Rebecca too. I find Hitchcock's movies much more fascinating up to Rear Window than I do anything that came after.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #492 on: March 21, 2017, 07:03:41 AM »

Would you answer the same question asked to Emily? I'll add that the music was kinda similar to "Vertigo" (which is the worst film by Hitch).

Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #493 on: March 21, 2017, 07:54:13 AM »

Would you answer the same question asked to Emily? I'll add that the music was kinda similar to "Vertigo" (which is the worst film by Hitch).

I'm not big on Vertigo either, though I prefer it The Birds which is chronologically the last movie of Hitchcock's that I have seen.

I can't remember exactly what I like most about Rebecca, although I will say that all of the movies throughout that period are tightly-written and nicely paced stories and Hitchcock was just able to create a very unique mood and feel stylistically. He's far from my favourite filmmaker so I haven't quite looked as deeply into why I enjoy the movies, but there is definitely something there in those 40s and early 50s movies that I like a lot: Rebecca, Shadow of a Doubt, Rope, Strangers on a Train, and Dial M are ones that I love. I haven't read the original DuMaurier book to compare.
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #494 on: March 21, 2017, 04:08:19 PM »

I'm not big on Vertigo either, though I prefer it The Birds which is chronologically the last movie of Hitchcock's that I have seen.

I can't remember exactly what I like most about Rebecca, although I will say that all of the movies throughout that period are tightly-written and nicely paced stories and Hitchcock was just able to create a very unique mood and feel stylistically. He's far from my favourite filmmaker so I haven't quite looked as deeply into why I enjoy the movies, but there is definitely something there in those 40s and early 50s movies that I like a lot: Rebecca, Shadow of a Doubt, Rope, Strangers on a Train, and Dial M are ones that I love. I haven't read the original DuMaurier book to compare.
I completely agree regarding the best Hitchcock. Normally, I don't particularly agree, RR1, about color v. B&W. I don't have a consistent preference for either. But I think Hitchcock really knew how to use shadow and light in b&w and never used color as well.
I also think he just got too melodramatic and absurd with time.
Rebecca: so much. First, the shadow and light and the sets - the look. All the light before they move to Manderlay and all the darkness after the move. It just looks great and sets the moods really well.
Second - the actors: George Sanders is always so perfectly droll and sinister (the scene where he starts eating their chicken in the back seat of the car while casually blackmailing them. Just brilliant); Judith Anderson was really versatile but she does Mrs. Danvers so well you'd think she's type-cast; Joan Fontaine plays twitchy, insecure, needy desperation really well; and Lawrence Olivier, whom I generally consider overrated, was perfectly cast. Just amazing casting.
Then - the characterization - these types: the controlling older husband and nervous young wife and the manipulative, selfish but beautiful ex-wife. All so tired. And all turned on their head by the end of the movie (except, of course, Rebecca was right that telling Maxim she's pregnant with another man ends up with her dead - not cool, Maxim. It's a little like Jaws in that I'm not rooting for whom I'm meant to root. I despise Maxim.)
The fact that the main character doesn't appear once.
Yes - the super cute running after the dog - she's adorable.
And Danvers' lonely obsessive love.
Yay, Rebecca.
Oh, and I have read most of Du Maurier's work: middling.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2017, 04:16:41 PM by Emily » Logged
KDS
« Reply #495 on: March 21, 2017, 04:59:35 PM »

2KDS: Define "blockbuster". Do you think if film gets revenue bigger than budget, it means it's good? Or do you believe if it gets positive reviews it's good but failed to bring money?

2Emily: What you liked in "Rebecca"? Film editing, witty dry English humor dialogs, the cast? Did you read it? De Winter's speaking style was funny, he treated Joan Fontaine's character like granddaughter, not wife. She trying to do everything right, then everytime epic fails! Poor darling. Some random cuteness when she calls the dog chasing after him "Jasper!" "Jasper!". I didn't notice what the characters sound like, just what they say but the way she said that name was simply adorable.

I dont think a bigger budget, high box office totals, or critical acclaim make a movie good. I think thats up to the viewer. 

For example, Michael Bay has made some very expensive movies that have made tons of money.  I cant really say I care for them.

John Carpenter's Halloween was made for little money and was not received well by critics. Almost 40 years later, its regarded as a horror classic, and has more suspense than later, much more expensive, movies.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #496 on: March 31, 2017, 07:41:50 PM »

New "Poltergeist" is waste of budget. Crickets chirping. Roll Eyes & I'm not even fan of the '82 film, what with cheesy score & all.

KDS
« Reply #497 on: April 03, 2017, 07:38:52 AM »

New "Poltergeist" is waste of budget. Crickets chirping. Roll Eyes & I'm not even fan of the '82 film, what with cheesy score & all.

I love the original movie, but didnt bother with the remake.  At this point, unless the trailer really blows me away, I avoid remakes. 

I checked out lsst summer's Independence Day sequel.  Wasnt bad, but I dont think it hold up to repeat viewings like the 1996 originsl.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #498 on: April 04, 2017, 06:17:29 AM »

2 KDS: What's it about Spinal Tap film that many like it? Did I miss sth.? It seems very stupid & boring.

Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #499 on: April 04, 2017, 07:32:35 AM »

2 KDS: What's it about Spinal Tap film that many like it? Did I miss sth.? It seems very stupid & boring.

Huh. I think it's one of the funniest movies ever made.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 24 25 ... 56   Go Up
Print
Jump to: