-->
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:51:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News: Carnival Of Sound
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  The Smiley Smile Message Board
|-+  Non Smiley Smile Stuff
| |-+  The Sandbox
| | |-+  What are you watching now?/Favourite Movie of the Moment
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23 24 ... 56   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: What are you watching now?/Favourite Movie of the Moment  (Read 443339 times)
KDS
« Reply #450 on: January 12, 2017, 05:27:49 AM »

I think if a movie is based on a true story, you have to take some liberties to get it in a compact run time.  Love and Mercy is a perfect example.  Sure, Brian didn't start on Pet Sounds right after leaving the road, and Murry didn't sell Sea of Tunes at the time Smiley Smile was released, but since Pohland was focusing on the PS/Smile era, it would've been really clunky had they stuck to the actual dates. 

Also, at the end of the day, it's a movie, so we're to expect a retelling of the story that's not likely to be 100% accurate.
I ask after seeing tendency for people who study history/ famous figure/ crime cases to bash the film for these artistic liberties. They say that if the event behind the film is real, it must be 100% accurate.

OK, that's settled. What about fictional book adaptations? Does it annoy you to see that the film cuts some potentially cool/ interesting scenes present in the book?

Whenever there's a movie based on a true event, you'll always have nitpicking.  I can kind of see it with a movie like 300, that only really based the real story as the basis for a living graphic novel. 

Movies based on novels are tricky because it can be really difficult to not make changes.  Whenever people say "the book is always better," I point to Peter Benchley's Jaws.  Had Speilberg's movie been a true adaptation of the book, it would've been awful.  Benchley's book contained such subplots as an affair and mafia ties to Amity, and the climax wouldn't have worked on film. 

But, most of the movies I've seen based on books have been satisfying, in particular the Thomas Harris Hannibal Lecter saga.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #451 on: January 12, 2017, 05:43:41 AM »

2Emily: OK.

Re: Disney movies, not sure but I think the message is sth. to do with women's role & the way they're perceived. Paging Emily.

2KDS: I didn't read "Jaws" but it sounds dull what you describe. I read King's "Needful Things" & super-long "It" & am glad that they left out some bits to make the script short. Do you find it weird that people rather go to cinemas & pay to see single movie instead of buying DVD for the same price or even cheaper to see 10-12 films in 1 disc? I never understood it.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
KDS
« Reply #452 on: January 12, 2017, 05:55:07 AM »

2Emily: OK.

Re: Disney movies, not sure but I think the message is sth. to do with women's role & the way they're perceived. Paging Emily.

2KDS: I didn't read "Jaws" but it sounds dull what you describe. I read King's "Needful Things" & super-long "It" & am glad that they left out some bits to make the script short. Do you find it weird that people rather go to cinemas & pay to see single movie instead of buying DVD for the same price or even cheaper to see 10-12 films in 1 disc? I never understood it.

Jaws, the novel, is basically a trash novel.  There's a surprising amount of graphic sexual stuff in the novel.  And the story doesn't really flow too well IMO. 

I used to understand the appear of going to the movies.  When I was growing up, in the 80s and 90s, movies wouldn't hit home video (VHS) for at least six months after they were in theaters.  And even so, you didn't always have the option to buy them.  You could also wait a year for the movie to appear on a premium channel.

Now, movies hit DVD / On Demand just 3-4 months after they're in theaters.  And with the price of going to the movies going up, I rarely find myself going anymore.  If there's a movie I want to see, I'm willing to wait to watch it in the comfort of my home. 

Also, movie audiences in the last decade have gotten increasingly rude.  There's no way I'll pay up to $15.00 for a Saturday night show to hear people talking at the screen or answering their phone. 

So, to me, the movie going experience really does nothing for me.  I know many movie fans who still relish the chance to go and see a movie right away.  But, I'm with you.  I'd rather sit on my couch, in comfy clothes, and watch a movie.  As I get older, I also appreciate the fact that I can pause a movie with a two plus hour runtime.  Sometimes, it can be difficult to sit in a cinema for 2.5 - 3 hours (if you include previews) without needing a...."break" if you know what I mean. 
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #453 on: January 12, 2017, 06:19:20 AM »

Jury rigged my HD TV to my vcr!
1977 Star Wars was amazing! Cool

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #454 on: January 12, 2017, 07:00:45 AM »

Consider this: smb. trashes "Annie Hall" after your positive review of it. Or can be other revered movie. Would you be quick to say "troll" even after they explained themselves? Does it surprise/ shock you if smb. doesn't like the film that impressed you to the point that you thought it's impossible for thinking human to dislike? Did you ever even think like that? Again, in IMDB boards people disqualify anybody who diverts from popular consensus.

In all honesty, I used to think that way a long time ago, yes. But I didn't really understand the way art and personal taste worked then.
NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."

View Profile
« Reply #455 on: January 12, 2017, 07:38:21 PM »

[quote author=KDS link=topic=16503.msg600731#msg600731 date=1484229307
And with the price of going to the movies going up, I rarely find myself going anymore.  If there's a movie I want to see, I'm willing to wait to watch it in the comfort of my home. 
Also, movie audiences in the last decade have gotten increasingly rude.  There's no way I'll pay up to $15.00 for a Saturday night show to hear people talking at the screen or answering their phone. 
[/quote]

I don't get to the movies often, not that I don't want to go but because it is so hard to be able to get away. And when I do it's usually to a morning movie, so don't have to worry about paying 15 dollars for admission. Now if I want popcorn, etc, that's where it gets really expensive.

Looks like I'm in a different situation from you all. It's hard to be able to sit at home and watch a movie on TV as my Mom is frequently calling for me. I have a backlog of taped movies that I might never get to. Also, I don't have good WiFi so watching TV programs or movies on YouTube, Netflix, etc are almost impossible. Constant buffering, then finally something appears stating in affect that I don't have enough "internet power" to watch anymore.

Thankfully, going when I do, I don't usually hear the talkers. Unfortunately, in seeing the movie "Fences" last week (an incredible movie BTW) the elderly guy in back of me kept talking - the lady with him tried to shush him but he stated that he had the right to talk if he wanted to. Fortunately he eventually stopped talking and I heard what sounded like snoring...

Some movies have to be seen on the BigScreen to be appreciated. Still remember the jaw dropping, awe inspiring cinematography in "Lawrence of Arabia", a film that can't really be appreciated on the small screen.
Next week, weather permitting, I plan to go to a movie theater which will have a special screening of Singin in the Rain. Why go to a movie that I've seen dozens of times? The place will be filled with fans who will most probably clap after the 4 show stopping songs/dances (Make em Laugh; Good Morning; Singin in the Rain; the incredible Kelly/Cyd Charisse number). It will be a love fest.
Another theater will be playing Rear Window a couple of weeks from now and I hope to get to that as well.

"No White Flags." - Team Gleason

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon

"The best thing you can be 'like' in music is yourself." Dr. John
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #456 on: January 13, 2017, 04:33:54 AM »

2KDS: "Jaws" novel sounds like snoozefest. I'll answer my question though - there is Agatha Christie story "Third girl" that has stepmother of the main heroine - the titular girl - who changes to "2nd girl", i.e. she rents 2nd room in the flat that was found by the 1st girl. But she is disguised by huge black make-up, powdered so she's pale & total brunette. But when she's not in London, in the countryside, she wears golden wig, no make-up, only light & she's totally different woman. That being she swaps between Norma's roommate & her stepmother. In the Poirot film episode that's lost, they just erased "stepmother". But usually, yes, the film is better than the book.

I decline theatre invites from friends. The loud munching/ crunching/ girls screaming if they see scary creatures - Hello! It's just movie, they're not real, for god's sake - is unbearable.

List the ultimate summer movies you think is weird to see any other season.

2Chocolate Shake: Which Canadian films you would advise to people not familiar with your cinema but interested?
« Last Edit: January 13, 2017, 05:34:54 AM by RangeRoverA1 » Logged

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #457 on: January 13, 2017, 05:27:11 AM »

2KDS: "Jaws" novel sounds like snoozefest. I'll answer my question though - there is Agatha Christie story "Third girl" that has stepmother of the main heroine - the titular girl - who changes to "2nd girl", i.e. she rents 2nd room in the flat that was found by the 1st girl. But she is disguised by huge black make-up, powdered so she's pale & total brunette. But when she's not in London, in the countryside, she wears golden wig, no make-up, only light & she's totally different woman. That being she swaps between Norma's roommate & her stepmother. In the Poirot film episode that's lost, they just erased "stepmother". But usually, yes, the film is better than the book.

I decline theatre invites from friends. The loud munching/ crunching/ girls screaming if they see scary creatures - Hello! It's just movie, they're not real, for god's sake - is unbearable.

2Chocolate Shake: Which Canadian films you would advise to people not familiar with your cinema but interested?
Jaws was the first trash novel I loved, though I had a weird-kid take on it. I sent a letter to Peter Benchley asking how he got the idea and asking for a photograph of the shark (I think was 10 or so.) He sent me a very nice hand-written letter explaining his the development of the book, telling me he was writing another called "the deep" and telling me the story of it, and explaining that he didn't have a photo of the shark as it was fiction.
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #458 on: January 13, 2017, 05:29:47 AM »

Disney movies: primarily gender role training and body image issues (for boys as well).  Older movies as well as modern movies but the princess movies are the most egregious, for obvious reasons.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #459 on: January 13, 2017, 05:40:43 AM »

Disney movies: primarily gender role training and body image issues (for boys as well).  Older movies as well as modern movies but the princess movies are the most egregious, for obvious reasons.
I knew it's princess movies. You said before about them being bad influence to daughter.

Weird-kid take - tell it.

KDS
« Reply #460 on: January 13, 2017, 05:47:23 AM »

Jaws was the first trash novel I loved, though I had a weird-kid take on it. I sent a letter to Peter Benchley asking how he got the idea and asking for a photograph of the shark (I think was 10 or so.) He sent me a very nice hand-written letter explaining his the development of the book, telling me he was writing another called "the deep" and telling me the story of it, and explaining that he didn't have a photo of the shark as it was fiction.

Did he mention the shark attacks in NJ in the summer of 1916?  I thought I read somewhere that provided some inspiration for the book as well. 

I have a non fiction book on sharks that Benchley wrote later in his life.  Apparently, he felt guilty for villainizing sharks in Jaws. 
KDS
« Reply #461 on: January 13, 2017, 05:49:48 AM »

Some of my go-to summer movies are Summer Rental, Weekend at Bernies, and One Crazy Summer.  Each of those are lighter comedies from the 1980s that take place at the beach.  One Crazy Summer has a tiny Beach Boys connection as it features four Beach Boys classics on the soundtrack, and it stars John Cusack, who would go on to play Brian Wilson.
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #462 on: January 13, 2017, 06:03:39 AM »

Great question. The only real film industry in Canada for decades has been in Quebec because there's more of an emphasis on culture there. Unforutnately, I haven't seen too many but Denys Arcand's The Barbarian Invasions stands out as a great one. Beyond Quebec, though, I think my two favourite Canadian movies are Deepa Mehta's Water (which isn't about Canada at all, but is rather set during India's revolution period in the 30s and 40s), and Atom Egoyan's The Sweet Hereafter. Whale Music which I always used to call the best Brian Wilson biopic is very good too.

A lot of people talk about the greatness of David Cronenberg but he is not one of my favourites, personally.
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #463 on: January 13, 2017, 10:21:12 AM »

Did he mention the shark attacks in NJ in the summer of 1916?  I thought I read somewhere that provided some inspiration for the book as well.  

I have a non fiction book on sharks that Benchley wrote later in his life.  Apparently, he felt guilty for villainizing sharks in Jaws.  
He did - and that there was a 20 + foot great white shark caught off the coast of Australia and he started imagining the consequences of one being caught  on the jersey shore - then expanded to what if it attacked people.  
Weird kid - I was very pro-shark watching the movie and reading the book. I was very angry with all the humans. Still am.
ETA: I am currently very happy with the response of the Cape Cod residents to the return of great white sharks.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2017, 10:23:57 AM by Emily » Logged
KDS
« Reply #464 on: January 13, 2017, 12:02:06 PM »

Did he mention the shark attacks in NJ in the summer of 1916?  I thought I read somewhere that provided some inspiration for the book as well.  

I have a non fiction book on sharks that Benchley wrote later in his life.  Apparently, he felt guilty for villainizing sharks in Jaws.  
He did - and that there was a 20 + foot great white shark caught off the coast of Australia and he started imagining the consequences of one being caught  on the jersey shore - then expanded to what if it attacked people.  
Weird kid - I was very pro-shark watching the movie and reading the book. I was very angry with all the humans. Still am.
ETA: I am currently very happy with the response of the Cape Cod residents to the return of great white sharks.

I could definitely see being for the shark, reading the book, as the characters really aren't very likable. 

It's funny how Shark Week each summer raises a lot of awareness and tries to show people that sharks really aren't to be feared, but then they mix it some specials like "World's Deadliest Sharks" or "Shark Attacks Caught on Tape." 
SurfRapGrungeFiend
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #465 on: January 31, 2017, 06:32:20 PM »

FEAR its america, just like the news today someone was found dead, no clues police investigating but since their was a death last week in the same area the asshole anchor said there IS a 'serial killer' on the loose BUT police dont know Undecided then he spent 5 min sponsoring some bullshit product. all i was waiting for was to see last nights cavs replay since i missed the game...my mistake

Problem child, one of my favorite movies as a kid and im watching it on VHS

Surf music, Old school rap and The Seattle Sound

DJ Paul- Hi, I'm Chucky

Danny Greene and the Celtic Club

"I have no axe to grind, but if these maggots in this so-called Mafia want to come after me, I'm over here by the Celtic Club. I'm not hard to find'
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #466 on: February 01, 2017, 04:20:08 AM »

Agree re: favorite movie as kid. Dug it back in 2000-01. 3D

Prepared new questions to resume the dialogs.

2KDS: You might've read elsewhere that good comedy isn't just funny script & pedestrian actors that act out funny scenes. But actors must be good at being funny too. Conversely, they say to make drama is easier than comedy. Will you agree with either/ both statements? Disagree? Reason out.

2Emily: Being shark fan & rooting for it in "Jaws", what film villain - human villain - was your favorite character in it while the others were meh? & would you say that being villain is difficult than playing good character?

2Chocolate Shake Man: Thanks for Canadian movies answer. You've got daughter - Emily said she tries not to bring up daughter with Disney (princess) movies. Do you do the same, select cartoons/ kid movies for her? Or you're liberal & let the girl freely watch anything she/ her peers like?

KDS
« Reply #467 on: February 01, 2017, 05:17:41 AM »

2KDS: You might've read elsewhere that good comedy isn't just funny script & pedestrian actors that act out funny scenes. But actors must be good at being funny too. Conversely, they say to make drama is easier than comedy. Will you agree with either/ both statements? Disagree? Reason out.

I have no experience in acting myself.  But I have heard the statement that doing comedy is the most challenging.  I think that could be true because it does require great timing.  It's a pity the Academy doesn't feel the same way.
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #468 on: February 01, 2017, 06:00:38 AM »

Chocolate Shake Man: Thanks for Canadian movies answer. You've got daughter - Emily said she tries not to bring up daughter with Disney (princess) movies. Do you do the same, select cartoons/ kid movies for her? Or you're liberal & let the girl freely watch anything she/ her peers like?

My daughter, who is 6, is generally free to watch anything in the children's "genre" though her mother and I do refuse to watch Barbie at home. She has seen it a friend's house, though. She has seen all the Disney princess movies and I might argue that the more recent ones like Brave, Princess and the Frog, Frozen, and Moana have done a good job at presenting more diverse and empowered girls. Ultimately we talk a lot about the things that she watches and just talk a lot in general and she knows that there are not any specific roles or appearances for genders and that it is a good thing to have diversity. In some ways, these movies allow for those kinds of conversations to take place.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #469 on: February 01, 2017, 07:38:35 AM »

Does she watch BBs sitcom? Grin

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #470 on: February 01, 2017, 08:04:12 AM »

Does she watch BBs sitcom? Grin

Haha. It's her favourite show.
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #471 on: February 01, 2017, 10:22:56 AM »

Chocolate Shake Man: Thanks for Canadian movies answer. You've got daughter - Emily said she tries not to bring up daughter with Disney (princess) movies. Do you do the same, select cartoons/ kid movies for her? Or you're liberal & let the girl freely watch anything she/ her peers like?

My daughter, who is 6, is generally free to watch anything in the children's "genre" though her mother and I do refuse to watch Barbie at home. She has seen it a friend's house, though. She has seen all the Disney princess movies and I might argue that the more recent ones like Brave, Princess and the Frog, Frozen, and Moana have done a good job at presenting more diverse and empowered girls. Ultimately we talk a lot about the things that she watches and just talk a lot in general and she knows that there are not any specific roles or appearances for genders and that it is a good thing to have diversity. In some ways, these movies allow for those kinds of conversations to take place.
This is a good response. Unfortunately studies show that learning about stereotypes and cultural expectations does the damage even if it's learned in a context in which the stereotype is discussed as wrong or inapplicable. I was careful to keep my daughter from being exposed to any stereotypes as much as possible - not just about girls- until it became inevitable that she would from outside sources.
And beauty is still a big big thing in, for instance, frozen.
But let me also clarify - she's not banned from Disney movies. I just steer her from them. She watched Frozen and several others that were big among her friends, but she's never seen Snow White, etc. because they didn't cross her radar and I avoided putting them in her way.
Just like any parent would avoid putting porn or super-horror movies in their child's way.
The children's genre is still really bad with gender stereotypes and male:female character and hero ratios.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2017, 11:03:02 AM by Emily » Logged
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #472 on: February 01, 2017, 09:00:57 PM »

2Emily: Being shark fan & rooting for it in "Jaws", what film villain - human villain - was your favorite character in it while the others were meh? & would you say that being villain is difficult than playing good character?

2Chocolate Shake Man: Thanks for Canadian movies answer. You've got daughter - Emily said she tries not to bring up daughter with Disney (princess) movies. Do you do the same, select cartoons/ kid movies for her? Or you're liberal & let the girl freely watch anything she/ her peers like?

Hooper. Sometimes Brody. Usually Hooper.
It's probably easier to play a villain than a good guy, I think.
KDS
« Reply #473 on: February 02, 2017, 05:18:00 AM »

Hooper. Sometimes Brody. Usually Hooper.
It's probably easier to play a villain than a good guy, I think.

I've always related with Brody.  Fool guy moves his family from New York to a quiet beach town.  He thinks the toughest think he'll have to deal with are "summer dinks" causing traffic issues and kids karate chopping picket fences.  But, no, there's a shark attack, and the mayor and the media (Carl Gottlieb's character) are covering it up. 
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #474 on: February 02, 2017, 06:31:18 AM »

This is a good response. Unfortunately studies show that learning about stereotypes and cultural expectations does the damage even if it's learned in a context in which the stereotype is discussed as wrong or inapplicable. I was careful to keep my daughter from being exposed to any stereotypes as much as possible - not just about girls- until it became inevitable that she would from outside sources.
And beauty is still a big big thing in, for instance, frozen.
But let me also clarify - she's not banned from Disney movies. I just steer her from them. She watched Frozen and several others that were big among her friends, but she's never seen Snow White, etc. because they didn't cross her radar and I avoided putting them in her way.
Just like any parent would avoid putting porn or super-horror movies in their child's way.
The children's genre is still really bad with gender stereotypes and male:female character and hero ratios.

That's unfortunate. I will have to look more into it.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23 24 ... 56   Go Up
Print
Jump to: