-->
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:39:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News: Endless Summer Quarterly
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  The Smiley Smile Message Board
|-+  Non Smiley Smile Stuff
| |-+  The Sandbox
| | |-+  What are you watching now?/Favourite Movie of the Moment
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22 ... 56   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: What are you watching now?/Favourite Movie of the Moment  (Read 443348 times)
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #400 on: January 10, 2017, 01:38:09 AM »

2KDS: what's your favorite science fiction series? Is it why you didn't like "Twilight Zone"?

To be honest, I'm not really big on sci fi, so I really can't say that I have a favorite science fiction series. 

When it comes to television, I tend to prefer light fare - sitcoms. 
Yep, figured as much that you don't like sci fi generally. Hence the question. Wink

During some actors' roundtable [in youtube], smb. quipped that Americans - the stress was to American viewers - don't like subtitles during watching foreign films/ shows. They'd rather it be translated to English with English-speaking voices. Do you agree?

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #401 on: January 10, 2017, 01:45:54 AM »

Yes, I love what I have seen from Kieslowski. I have his three colours trilogy and have seen a few episodes of the Dekalog though unfortunately not the whole thing yet. But it's on my list.

I have seen a few by Jarmusch but haven't encountered his best work yet.
Do you mean best to you or best by many i.e. his "cult classic" movies? If the 1st, would you explain what you didn't like? Curious.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2017, 01:47:54 AM by RangeRoverA1 » Logged

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #402 on: January 10, 2017, 04:01:25 AM »

Yes, I love what I have seen from Kieslowski. I have his three colours trilogy and have seen a few episodes of the Dekalog though unfortunately not the whole thing yet. But it's on my list.

I have seen a few by Jarmusch but haven't encountered his best work yet.
Do you mean best to you or best by many i.e. his "cult classic" movies? If the 1st, would you explain what you didn't like? Curious.

I mean the movies that are considered his best by others. I have seen Coffee and Cigarettes and Broken Flowers and did not particularly like either of them.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #403 on: January 10, 2017, 04:41:17 AM »

I mean the movies that are considered his best by others. I have seen Coffee and Cigarettes and Broken Flowers and did not particularly like either of them.
I leaned towards that meaning. In IMDB boards, the best is considered "Dead Man". I didn't like it being no Depp fan. Iggy Pop & Lance Henriksen did well as far as their respective roles go & what was required of them in the script. But Johnny Depp, imo, plays the same role like broken record.

Agree about "Broken Flowers", the plus side was the road trip music. But the worst Jarmusch, if you ask me, is "Mystery Train". Would you agree/ disagree with sentiment that black&white adds special atmosphere to the film & even if it's bad it makes it better? You know, just the color. Or do you think bad film is bad & good film, should you watch it in Media Classic Player & set it black & white, wouldn't be better?

Ovi
Smiley Smile Associate

They know I'm rock 'n' roll through and through.

View Profile
« Reply #404 on: January 10, 2017, 05:12:45 AM »

Heavenly Creatures.

One of my top 10 movies.
KDS
« Reply #405 on: January 10, 2017, 05:13:14 AM »

2KDS: what's your favorite science fiction series? Is it why you didn't like "Twilight Zone"?

To be honest, I'm not really big on sci fi, so I really can't say that I have a favorite science fiction series. 

When it comes to television, I tend to prefer light fare - sitcoms. 
Yep, figured as much that you don't like sci fi generally. Hence the question. Wink

During some actors' roundtable [in youtube], smb. quipped that Americans - the stress was to American viewers - don't like subtitles during watching foreign films/ shows. They'd rather it be translated to English with English-speaking voices. Do you agree?

Whenever I see a foreign film, I would prefer it to be dubbed in English rather than subtitled.  Just a personal preference, and there are times when the subtitles will sort of blend into the background which can be a little distracting.  
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #406 on: January 10, 2017, 05:27:00 AM »

Whenever I see a foreign film, I would prefer it to be dubbed in English rather than subtitled.  Just a personal preference, and there are times when the subtitles will sort of blend into the background which can be a little distracting.  
Yes that's why it was weird to hear that exclusively Americans didn't like subtitles. It was implied that, for example, in Europe, people don't mind it.

Popular American symbol is Bugs Bunny. Who would you add related to this topic?

KDS
« Reply #407 on: January 10, 2017, 05:32:06 AM »

Yes that's why it was weird to hear that exclusively Americans didn't like subtitles. It was implied that, for example, in Europe, people don't mind it.

Popular American symbol is Bugs Bunny. Who would you add related to this topic?

Different strokes I suppose.  Most Europeans prefer soccer to football also.

What would I add about Bugs Bunny, except I think the old Looney Tunes cartoons are some of the best cartoon shorts ever made.  I think it's sad that you really don't see them on TV much anymore, so I'm afraid future generations will miss out.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #408 on: January 10, 2017, 05:42:29 AM »

What would I add about Bugs Bunny, except I think the old Looney Tunes cartoons are some of the best cartoon shorts ever made.  I think it's sad that you really don't see them on TV much anymore, so I'm afraid future generations will miss out.
Yes, Looney Tunes is great. In fact, it's in my DVD collection. But I bring up Bugs Bunny as I read he's American symbol, or among those & I'd like to know what's YOURS. Related to this topic.

KDS
« Reply #409 on: January 10, 2017, 05:47:12 AM »

Yes, Looney Tunes is great. In fact, it's in my DVD collection. But I bring up Bugs Bunny as I read he's American symbol, or among those & I'd like to know what's YOURS. Related to this topic.

I'd definitely say that Bugs is an American symbol / icon.  Probably not on the same level as Mickey Mouse (though personally, I think Bugs' cartoons are far superior). 

Other iconic American characters would likely include Scooby Doo, The Flintstones, Homer Simpson, but I don't think either of those reached the status of Bugs or Mickey.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #410 on: January 10, 2017, 06:10:33 AM »

Hey, I like Scooby Doo. I used to watch it every day after college :D. The Hanna-Barbera stuff is usually good except some.

You said you're against remakes, sequels. What about cartoon-turned-movies?
« Last Edit: January 10, 2017, 06:18:37 AM by RangeRoverA1 » Logged

KDS
« Reply #411 on: January 10, 2017, 06:26:09 AM »

Hey, I like Scooby Doo. I used to watch it every day after college :D. The Hanna-Barbera stuff is usually good except some.

You said you're against remakes, sequels. What about cartoon-turned-movies?

I'm not totally against remakes or sequels, some are quite good, but I feel that mainstream movies have been flooded with recycled ideas for a good part of the 2000s. 

Are you referring to cartoons turned into live action movies?  I really really wanted to like these.  I saw The Flintstones, Scooby Doo, and The Grinch with high hopes.  Overall, I found the casting was good, but the movies were lackluster, especially The Grinch.  I've also seen bits and pieces of Inspector Gadget and The Chipmunks and didn't care for them.

I did like the return to the big screen for the Peanuts in 2015.  Although I'd have preferred old school animation to CGI, I thought the movie still captured the old Peanuts vibe pretty well, and is a good companion to the previous four Peanuts movies.

Speaking of which, The Peanuts are definitely American icons.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #412 on: January 10, 2017, 06:49:25 AM »

Are you referring to cartoons turned into live action movies?
Yes of course.

I'm with you - didn't like Scooby Doo, Grinch, Gadget but I think The Chipmunks was nice little family flick.

Don't know what "Peanuts" is, will check. I read that baseball cards used to be popular among youth. Did it apply to movies/ cartoons? F.ex. here, there was craze around the Pokemon chips.

KDS
« Reply #413 on: January 10, 2017, 06:54:29 AM »

Are you referring to cartoons turned into live action movies?
Yes of course.

I'm with you - didn't like Scooby Doo, Grinch, Gadget but I think The Chipmunks was nice little family flick.

Don't know what "Peanuts" is, will check. I read that baseball cards used to be popular among youth. Did it apply to movies/ cartoons? F.ex. here, there was craze around the Pokemon chips.

Peanuts is the gang with Charlie Brown, Snoopy, etc. 

Baseball cards were tied more to sports, not movies, but at one time, they issued trading cards for various movies, tv shows, etc. 
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #414 on: January 10, 2017, 07:16:51 AM »

Agree about "Broken Flowers", the plus side was the road trip music. But the worst Jarmusch, if you ask me, is "Mystery Train". Would you agree/ disagree with sentiment that black&white adds special atmosphere to the film & even if it's bad it makes it better? You know, just the color. Or do you think bad film is bad & good film, should you watch it in Media Classic Player & set it black & white, wouldn't be better?

Thanks for the Mystery Train tip.

I definitely think that some of the best looking movies ever shot are black and white movies but I also think that there are some great looking colour films, especially when colour was more of a novelty and filmmakers realized they could do interesting things with it. Plus, there is just something about that way that colour film looked in the 60s and 70s that appeals to me more than the kind of glossy and clear look that began even before the digital age. Unfortunately, in general, I don't think enough filmmakers consider the look of their films so no matter B&W or colour, I just wish that more would consider photography as a vital element of the medium.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #415 on: January 10, 2017, 07:23:18 AM »

Baseball cards were tied more to sports, not movies, but at one time, they issued trading cards for various movies, tv shows, etc. 
You mean the dog Snoopy? At school, I read this comics about children, there was boy & the dog doing the thinking. The dialogs were rather dull. Maybe translation issue?

Re: baseball cards, I brought them up to ask if there was similar thing done to movies etc. OK. Any favorite film(s) about Indians?

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #416 on: January 10, 2017, 07:46:34 AM »

Thanks for the Mystery Train tip.

I definitely think that some of the best looking movies ever shot are black and white movies but I also think that there are some great looking colour films, especially when colour was more of a novelty and filmmakers realized they could do interesting things with it. Plus, there is just something about that way that colour film looked in the 60s and 70s that appeals to me more than the kind of glossy and clear look that began even before the digital age. Unfortunately, in general, I don't think enough filmmakers consider the look of their films so no matter B&W or colour, I just wish that more would consider photography as a vital element of the medium.
Yep, tastes differ - what's worst to me could be *your* cup of tea.

You look at it from different angle. The question was, if you sit & watch the color film & it's bad, then switch it to b&w, would it better the film? Ditto good film, can the b&w make it great?

Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #417 on: January 10, 2017, 07:52:33 AM »

The question was, if you sit & watch the color film & it's bad, then switch it to b&w, would it better the film? Ditto good film, can the b&w make it great?

I don't think switching to black and white would necessarily make the film better. Maybe in some cases, though. But also, I would prefer it to be in black and white film not digitially switched. It's also hard for me to say whether or not I'm appreciate a black and white film because it's in black and white. It's difficult for me to divorce all the parts from each other, and also difficult to imagine what I might think of the film if it were in colour, because I don't know how the director might use colour.
KDS
« Reply #418 on: January 10, 2017, 08:51:24 AM »

You mean the dog Snoopy? At school, I read this comics about children, there was boy & the dog doing the thinking. The dialogs were rather dull. Maybe translation issue?

Re: baseball cards, I brought them up to ask if there was similar thing done to movies etc. OK. Any favorite film(s) about Indians?

Yes, the dog Snoopy.  The comic strip you're referring to is called Peanuts, which was created in the early 1950s.  This spawned an animated Christmas special in 1965, the success of which had lead to further television specials, a TV show, and five movies to date.  It could be a translation thing. 

Are you asking if there have been cards made for movies?  If so, then yes, but I don't think that's as popular as it used to be.  In the last 20 years, the baseball card trade has really shifted from children to adults with more disposable income. 

I don't think I really have a favorite movie about Indians. 
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #419 on: January 10, 2017, 09:33:54 AM »

I did like the return to the big screen for the Peanuts in 2015.  Although I'd have preferred old school animation to CGI, I thought the movie still captured the old Peanuts vibe pretty well, and is a good companion to the previous four Peanuts movies.

Snoopy/Peanuts was my favorite thing when I was kid, and I still love to watch the Christmas, Thanksgiving specials. The trailer looked really good but I've been on the fence about spending time/money to see this. Glad to hear it's worth watching!

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
KDS
« Reply #420 on: January 10, 2017, 10:16:53 AM »

Snoopy/Peanuts was my favorite thing when I was kid, and I still love to watch the Christmas, Thanksgiving specials. The trailer looked really good but I've been on the fence about spending time/money to see this. Glad to hear it's worth watching!

I'll admit, it took me a bit to get used to the modern CGI animation, and definitely could've done without the use of a Megan Trainor song as I always believed the Peanuts gang to exist in a universe outside of time, so the contemporary pop threw me a bit.  But those are minor gripes.  It's definitely worth a watch IMO.   
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #421 on: January 10, 2017, 11:11:54 AM »

I'll admit, it took me a bit to get used to the modern CGI animation, and definitely could've done without the use of a Megan Trainor song as I always believed the Peanuts gang to exist in a universe outside of time, so the contemporary pop threw me a bit.  But those are minor gripes.  It's definitely worth a watch IMO.   

That Megan Trainor thing bums me out. My one qualm with the trailer is that they used a Who song (made me wonder if they used it in the movie), and I totally agree with your outlook that the peanuts gang exist in a universe outside of time. But I guess it's just 3 minutes of song in a feature length film so it can't be too bad. Looking forward to seeing this though!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
KDS
« Reply #422 on: January 10, 2017, 11:29:18 AM »

That Megan Trainor thing bums me out. My one qualm with the trailer is that they used a Who song (made me wonder if they used it in the movie), and I totally agree with your outlook that the peanuts gang exist in a universe outside of time. But I guess it's just 3 minutes of song in a feature length film so it can't be too bad. Looking forward to seeing this though!

The Who song, Baba O Reilly, doesn't appear in the movie.  Luckily, the Megan Trainor song only plays during a brief scene, so it comes and goes pretty fast.

rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #423 on: January 10, 2017, 11:34:38 AM »

The Who song, Baba O Reilly, doesn't appear in the movie.  Luckily, the Megan Trainor song only plays during a brief scene, so it comes and goes pretty fast.

That's good to hear. Thanks for the recommendation!

KDS
« Reply #424 on: January 10, 2017, 11:45:08 AM »

That's good to hear. Thanks for the recommendation!

No problem.  I really think if you're a Peanuts fan, you'll enjoy it. 
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22 ... 56   Go Up
Print
Jump to: