-->
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:51:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News: Carnival Of Sound
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  The Smiley Smile Message Board
|-+  Non Smiley Smile Stuff
| |-+  The Sandbox
| | |-+  What are you watching now?/Favourite Movie of the Moment
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 ... 56   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: What are you watching now?/Favourite Movie of the Moment  (Read 443149 times)
KDS
« Reply #375 on: December 23, 2016, 07:49:24 AM »

I'm told the first movie I ever saw was ET, but I don't remember it.  I remember my father taking me to see 101 Dalmations.  And my mother took me to a lot of the Disney movies when they were re-released in the 1980s. 

In 4th Grade, we took a school field trip to see the 1970 musicial Scrooge.

During college?  Maybe Sixth Sense or American Pie?  I'm not 100%
You were just 2, wee lad. As you mention E.T., the boy didn't fit the role. It's like they rushedly picked some random kid to cast in movie. If there's good thing about Spielberg films is that the actors were cast rightly.

Is there any hyped-up youth film you didn't care for? The fuss of "Butterfly Effect" & "Walk To Remember" completely passed me by. Zzzzz.

I'd agree with Speilberg's casting except in Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom.  The kid who played Short Round was beyond annoying.  But nothing as bad as Kate Capshaw, who happened to be with Speilberg at the time. 

Hyped up youth film I didn't care for??  I didn't see it until fairly recently, but I've heard Alladin ranked as one of the great Disney films.  Robin Williams was entertaining, but the movie itself didn't do much for me.
Ovi
Smiley Smile Associate

They know I'm rock 'n' roll through and through.

View Profile
« Reply #376 on: December 26, 2016, 08:40:42 AM »

This past week:

Alien (1979)
Sixteen Candles (1984)
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #377 on: December 27, 2016, 05:01:45 PM »

Horace & Pete.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #378 on: December 27, 2016, 06:44:24 PM »

Explain that choice.
It's hard to do so. It was a very extreme movie. Jackson seemed to really grasp how folie a deux works with adolescent girls and seemed to have no restraint in letting the film join them in the folie. It didn't try to explain or normalize or psychologize or editorialize. It just let the camera be another crazy participant seeing the world the way the girls did. I'm not aware of any other movie that went so fully into mental illness not as a watcher but as a participant.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2016, 06:44:50 PM by Emily » Logged
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #379 on: January 04, 2017, 09:09:00 AM »

Here's question to everybody - tell me who in your opinion was

1) the best deuteragonist (=2nd crucial character) &
2) it was not just great performance but the leading role totally paled in comparison?

I'd say Angelina Jolie could beat 5 Winona Ryders if they cast in film again.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
KDS
« Reply #380 on: January 04, 2017, 10:09:30 AM »

Here's question to everybody - tell me who in your opinion was

1) the best deuteragonist (=2nd crucial character) &
2) it was not just great performance but the leading role totally paled in comparison?

I'd say Angelina Jolie could beat 5 Winona Ryders if they cast in film again.

As much as I like Bruce Willis, you can almost say this about Alan Rickman, as villain Hans Gruber, in the original Die Hard, arguably the greatest action movie of all time. 
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #381 on: January 04, 2017, 10:33:33 AM »

As much as I like Bruce Willis, you can almost say this about Alan Rickman, as villain Hans Gruber, in the original Die Hard, arguably the greatest action movie of all time. 
It's good answer but to different question Smiley - best antagonist. Deuteragonist is same as protagonist but secondary, after main guy or girl. F.ex. in horror "Ghost Ship" the deuteragonist was the little ghost girl who befriended the main female character.

Take 2 then?

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
KDS
« Reply #382 on: January 04, 2017, 10:39:54 AM »

It's good answer but to different question Smiley - best antagonist. Deuteragonist is same as protagonist but secondary, after main guy or girl. F.ex. in horror "Ghost Ship" the deuteragonist was the little ghost girl who befriended the main female character.

Take 2 then?

Allllllrighty then.   

Sticking with the late 80s, I'll nominate Bob Uecker.  He had a minor role at the Cleveland Indians play by play announcer in the movie Major League, but he had some of the funniest and most memorable lines of the movie. 

SurfRapGrungeFiend
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #383 on: January 04, 2017, 04:50:18 PM »

30 for 30: Broke
A movie thats always good to laugh at.. though i feel bad for the ones that got screwed over at no fault of their own

cant wait for the XFL one coming out in February and hoping they do one for 'bottlegate' if anyone remembers that great game in Cleveland

Surf music, Old school rap and The Seattle Sound

DJ Paul- Hi, I'm Chucky

Danny Greene and the Celtic Club

"I have no axe to grind, but if these maggots in this so-called Mafia want to come after me, I'm over here by the Celtic Club. I'm not hard to find'
KDS
« Reply #384 on: January 04, 2017, 08:41:23 PM »

30 for 30: Broke
A movie thats always good to laugh at.. though i feel bad for the ones that got screwed over at no fault of their own

cant wait for the XFL one coming out in February and hoping they do one for 'bottlegate' if anyone remembers that great game in Cleveland

Ah, the XFL.  I remember my friends and I were looking forward to that league to bridge the gap between the NFL and MLB.  We watched one game.

Im surprised they still sell beer bottles as sporting events after that Browns game.  When I first started going to Orioles games in the early 90s, they only sold beer in plastic cups.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #385 on: January 05, 2017, 04:04:37 AM »

Allllllrighty then.   

Sticking with the late 80s, I'll nominate Bob Uecker.  He had a minor role at the Cleveland Indians play by play announcer in the movie Major League, but he had some of the funniest and most memorable lines of the movie.
You said Cleveland & I rmbr the late 70s-80s show "WKRP in Cincinnati" about fictional radio station. One of the main characters is DJ played by Howard Hesseman who starred in "Police Academy 2" as Pete Lassard, Eric's brother.

Fun question: name the character you could be best pals with. Or just fun to meet/ be around.

KDS
« Reply #386 on: January 05, 2017, 05:10:03 AM »

Allllllrighty then.   

You said Cleveland & I rmbr the late 70s-80s show "WKRP in Cincinnati" about fictional radio station. One of the main characters is DJ played by Howard Hesseman who starred in "Police Academy 2" as Pete Lassard, Eric's brother.

Fun question: name the character you could be best pals with. Or just fun to meet/ be around.

The guys from Beerfest.  They kinda remind me of me and my friends when we used to hang out more, drink beers, and goof on each other.
Jarhead ghost
Smiley Smile Associate

"Unfinished Business"

View Profile
« Reply #387 on: January 07, 2017, 07:22:40 AM »

Chris Gaines VH1 Behind the Music : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EY1a3aqnwyw
Ovi
Smiley Smile Associate

They know I'm rock 'n' roll through and through.

View Profile
« Reply #388 on: January 08, 2017, 02:01:52 AM »

Just watched Scorsese's Raging Bull. Wow.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #389 on: January 08, 2017, 06:21:25 AM »

New question to KDS et al:  Did any of you see the "Twilight Zone" & which episode(s) do you regard as favorite? Could be the 50s-60s show, 1985 revival series, 2002 series. Discuss.

Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #390 on: January 08, 2017, 06:47:47 AM »

Recently watched Behind the Candelabra (meh. I didn't really enjoy it) and Across the Universe (I kind of cringed through the whole thing.)
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #391 on: January 08, 2017, 06:49:23 AM »

New question to KDS et al:  Did any of you see the "Twilight Zone" & which episode(s) do you regard as favorite? Could be the 50s-60s show, 1985 revival series, 2002 series. Discuss.

Love the 50s-60s show. My favourite one is pretty standard: Eye of the Beholder. But there's lots of great ones, especially from the first three seasons.
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #392 on: January 08, 2017, 06:50:25 AM »

Recently watched Behind the Candelabra (meh. I didn't really enjoy it) and Across the Universe (I kind of cringed through the whole thing.)

I couldn't make it through half an hour of Across the Universe.

Feel the same way about Candelabra.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #393 on: January 08, 2017, 07:02:31 AM »

Tell me about it, "Across The Universe" is super-boring (just like the song). Ha!

2 Chocolate Shake: would you answer the question asked in the previous page? Pasting: Which film stands out for you as the unconventional example, unlike any films you'd seen before & after?
« Last Edit: January 08, 2017, 07:04:32 AM by RangeRoverA1 » Logged

Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #394 on: January 08, 2017, 08:38:06 AM »

2 Chocolate Shake: would you answer the question asked in the previous page? Pasting: Which film stands out for you as the unconventional example, unlike any films you'd seen before & after?

It's a good question and I have been thinking about it since you originally asked. It's hard for me to answer though. There are definitely movies that I've seen that when I saw them seemed completely different and unique but then later saw other things that did something similar. When I saw Annie Hall as a young teenager, it was unlike anything I had seen. The movie, to me, shows the way our mind tends to organize our own past: it's disjointed and it's mythologized ("boy if life were only like this," the main character says at one point). But then you discover Fellini and he essentially does the same thing with 8 1/2 of showing the internal psyche of the main character.

Rashomon was also the first movie I saw that told the same event from different perspectives but there have surely been lesser movies since that have done the same thing. In fact, I'm sure I've seen them but can't remember any at this point.

In my late 20s, Robert Altman's Nashville was shocking in the way the "story" unfolded both in the dialogue and in the images. But there have been other movies I have watched that told different stories with similar stuff going on. We can say that 2001: A Space Odyssey (which I saw before and was released about seven years earlier) had much the same effect on me for similar reasons of pacing, dialogue choices, and imagery. Indeed, Altman himself pretty much used the Nashville formula in Short Cuts, Gosford Park, and Prairie Home Companion.

And that leads to my point that certain directors have their own unique and unconventional styles, like Fellini, Altman, Bergman, Godard, Antonioni, Kurosawa, Cassavetes, etc. But they have multiple films that reveal those unique styles.

So without feeling at all certain, I might suggest the Monkees' movie Head. I'm not sure I can think of a parallel for it at the moment, though there are other movies out there that convey a disconnected and absurd series of events, like sketch comedy movies like Monty Python's And Now for Something Completely Different or some of Fellini's odder movies like Roma. I suppose Head has Godard influences on it as well. But none of these movies are musicials either. So a difficult answer for a difficult question.
KDS
« Reply #395 on: January 09, 2017, 05:12:36 AM »

I never really got into The Twilight Zone to be honest. 

The movie Across the Universe came up.  One of my recent pop culture pet peeves is musicals written around a classic artist / genre's catalog.  We Will Rock You (Queen), Mama Mia (ABBA), Movin Out (Billy Joel), Rock of Ages (80s hard rock), etc offer watered down versions of classic songs.  I'm glad John Stamos's proposed Beach Boys movie seems to have gone away.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #396 on: January 09, 2017, 05:54:28 AM »

2Chocolate Shake: Thanks for [difficult] answer. Your bottom line is understood. If you like unconventional style, I advise to check Krzysztof Kieslowski (f.ex. "Three Colors" trilogy, "Dekalog") & Jim Jarmusch ("Permanent Vacation", "Stranger Than Paradise") next.

2KDS: what's your favorite science fiction series? Is it why you didn't like "Twilight Zone"?
« Last Edit: January 09, 2017, 05:57:25 AM by RangeRoverA1 » Logged

KDS
« Reply #397 on: January 09, 2017, 06:05:57 AM »

2Chocolate Shake: Thanks for [difficult] answer. Your bottom line is understood. If you like unconventional style, I advise to check Krzysztof Kieslowski (f.ex. "Three Colors" trilogy, "Dekalog") & Jim Jarmusch ("Permanent Vacation", "Stranger Than Paradise") next.

2KDS: what's your favorite science fiction series? Is it why you didn't like "Twilight Zone"?

To be honest, I'm not really big on sci fi, so I really can't say that I have a favorite science fiction series. 

When it comes to television, I tend to prefer light fare - sitcoms. 
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #398 on: January 09, 2017, 07:41:25 AM »

Yes, I love what I have seen from Kieslowski. I have his three colours trilogy and have seen a few episodes of the Dekalog though unfortunately not the whole thing yet. But it's on my list.

I have seen a few by Jarmusch but haven't encountered his best work yet.
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #399 on: January 09, 2017, 06:40:37 PM »

Lol. I have a big personal issue with Jim Jarmusch. No support from me.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 ... 56   Go Up
Print
Jump to: