-->
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 02:05:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News: Beach Boys Britain
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  The Smiley Smile Message Board
|-+  Non Smiley Smile Stuff
| |-+  The Sandbox
| | |-+  What are you watching now?/Favourite Movie of the Moment
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 ... 56   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: What are you watching now?/Favourite Movie of the Moment  (Read 443600 times)
KDS
« Reply #350 on: December 21, 2016, 05:18:30 AM »

I don't think the Oscars or any awards really do anything to hurt or help the industry.  I kinda feel the same way about the Grammys.
These award shows get boring quickly - same actors get them, f.ex. if you're young actor nominated the same year with veteran actor - consider you go home with empty hands. Bad timing, bad luck. Smb. would say it brings good competitive spirit but is there even difference in statues? Lead role statue & supporting role look the same, as do the numerous other tiny nominations. At least at Berlin International Film Festival there is Silver Bear & Golden Bear. Maybe premium/bonus differs?

Ideally, every actor/director should get single Oscar/ Golden Globe/ etc. during their entire acting career. Why collect the same stuff 5 times? Case in point: some actress - Candice Bergen? - she starred in TV series that ran many seasons & she would be awarded Emmy(?) each season. She got fed up & said to jury or smb. else that they don't nominate her anymore. They accepted.

OK, we said before best villain - tell your best hero in a film, any genre. Who do you consider "colorful figure in the cinema"?

The Oscars are other awards shows are really just giant ego strokes.  Celebrities wearing outfits that could cost most actual moviegoers up to half of their yearly salary.  And as I said before, my preferred movies tend to be comedy or horror, two genres which are mostly ignored by the Academy.  So, I pay it no mind. 

Plus, just as the Grammys couldn't care less about actual music fans, the Academy is the same about actual movie fans. 

Best hero?  Well, I've always been partial to Batman, particularly the Michael Keaton version.   There's also John McClane from Die Hard.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #351 on: December 21, 2016, 06:26:16 AM »

I thought it was revealing of the general truth that when animals are used for profit-making ventures, the well-being of the animal is not going to be the first priority in the treatment of the animal. I thought it was important to break the market-driven fantasy of the happy dog-like creatures in captivity. And I thought the film did it well.
Regarding whether anything was the orca's "fault" - ultimately of course that can't be true as the Orca had no part in creating the situation.
Jolly good. Who is Maggie's favorite Disney princess & did you like any Disney films/cartoons as kid? "The Mickey Mouse Club"? Other Disney stuff?

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #352 on: December 21, 2016, 06:37:56 AM »

The Oscars are other awards shows are really just giant ego strokes.  Celebrities wearing outfits that could cost most actual moviegoers up to half of their yearly salary.  And as I said before, my preferred movies tend to be comedy or horror, two genres which are mostly ignored by the Academy.  So, I pay it no mind.  

Plus, just as the Grammys couldn't care less about actual music fans, the Academy is the same about actual movie fans.  

Best hero?  Well, I've always been partial to Batman, particularly the Michael Keaton version.   There's also John McClane from Die Hard.
Batman is good but not his alter ego Bruce Wayne. Batmobile is cool!

2-facet question: your favorite villain in "Batman"? Did you like the Christopher Nolan "Batman"? I'd say the best were The Joker, Two-Face. If Catwoman counts, she's too (Michelle Pfeiffer's definitely the best, she captured the "cat" looks, mannerisms perfectly).
« Last Edit: December 21, 2016, 06:48:43 AM by RangeRoverA1 » Logged

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
KDS
« Reply #353 on: December 21, 2016, 06:54:30 AM »

The Oscars are other awards shows are really just giant ego strokes.  Celebrities wearing outfits that could cost most actual moviegoers up to half of their yearly salary.  And as I said before, my preferred movies tend to be comedy or horror, two genres which are mostly ignored by the Academy.  So, I pay it no mind.  

Best hero?  Well, I've always been partial to Batman, particularly the Michael Keaton version.   There's also John McClane from Die Hard.
Batman is good but not his alter ego Bruce Wayne. Batmobile is cool!

2-facet question: your favorite villain in "Batman"? Did you like the Christopher Nolan "Batman"? I'd say the best were The Joker, Two-Face. If Catwoman counts, she's too (Michelle Pfeiffer's definitely the best, she captured the "cat" looks, mannerisms perfectly).

My two favorite villains are The Joker and The Penguin.  And I prefer the Nicholson and DeVito versions respectively. 

There was a Batman Animated Series from the early 1990s that is excellent.

I do like the Nolan movies, but I prefer the Tim Burton movies.  I felt the Burton movies did the best job at mixing the darkness of Batman, but with some comic book humor.  Meanwhile, the Nolan films are relentlessly dark.  Still good movies though. 
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #354 on: December 21, 2016, 07:12:31 AM »

My two favorite villains are The Joker and The Penguin.  And I prefer the Nicholson and DeVito versions respectively. 

I do like the Nolan movies, but I prefer the Tim Burton movies.  I felt the Burton movies did the best job at mixing the darkness of Batman, but with some comic book humor.  Meanwhile, the Nolan films are relentlessly dark.  Still good movies though. 
Agree! Nicholson & De Vito did the best to look like Joker & Penguin. I've got funny story about Penguin: during winter/New Year holidays in 2005 or 6, last grades in school, me & my 5-year-old cousin would watch films in TV, they showed classic 90s "Batman" weekdays. "Batman 2", there is scene where Penguin writes, then suddenly turns to screen &  the little boy shortly shouts & does funny frightened face. After that, I'd mention that case to him. The boy's now 16.

The Tim Burton "Batman" is the best, twice agree. What can you say about "Spiderman"? The main issue is I didn't like the cast.

KDS
« Reply #355 on: December 21, 2016, 07:14:10 AM »

Agree! Nicholson & De Vito did the best to look like Joker & Penguin. I've got funny story about Penguin: during winter/New Year holidays in 2005 or 6, last grades in school, me & my 5-year-old cousin would watch films in TV, they showed classic 90s "Batman" weekdays. "Batman 2", there is scene where Penguin writes, then suddenly turns to screen &  the little boy shortly shouts & does funny frightened face. After that, I'd mention that case to him. The boy's now 16.

The Tim Burton "Batman" is the best, twice agree. What can you say about "Spiderman"? The main issue is I didn't like the cast.

I'm not a huge Spiderman fan, but I did like the first two Sam Raimi movies (I thought the 3rd was a bit overblown).  I thought the casting was actually pretty good in those movies.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #356 on: December 21, 2016, 07:25:43 AM »

Tell the film that you used to be not fan/didn't get but after revisiting, it wasn't as bad.

KDS
« Reply #357 on: December 21, 2016, 07:42:44 AM »

Tell the film that you used to be not fan/didn't get but after revisiting, it wasn't as bad.

The one that immediately springs to mind is The Nightmare Before Christmas. 

When I was 13, I saw it in theaters, and came away disappointed.  I don't think I was expecting a musical, or something so "cute."  Of course, in my early teens, I wasn't really into stuff that was whimsical or family friendly.  I enjoyed that stuff as a kid, and eventually came back to it in my late 20s.

So, 20 years later, I gave The Nightmare Before Christmas another shot an loved it.  Since my wife isn't a horror fan, it's one of the few Halloween movies we watch every year together (I consider it more Halloween than Christmas).

Maybe one day, I'll give The Santa Clause a second chance.  I saw it at 14, and didn't really care for it.
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #358 on: December 21, 2016, 08:15:18 AM »

One very odd experience for me was with Robert Altman's Nashville. I wouldn't say I disliked it as I was watching it but it was a real struggle. I had to take breaks. It wasn't nearly as engaging as a few others I had seen. Then, without giving too much away, the last ten minutes happened and it changed my whole perspective of what came before it. It wasn't like a Sixth Sense twist ending kind of thing but I had no idea that the movie was heading in the direction it was heading and when it got there, the rest of the movie clicked into place. Upon rewatching it a second time, it became one of my all time favourites. I still think it's the best Altman and probably, for me, in the top 5 American films ever made.
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #359 on: December 21, 2016, 10:36:08 AM »

I thought it was revealing of the general truth that when animals are used for profit-making ventures, the well-being of the animal is not going to be the first priority in the treatment of the animal. I thought it was important to break the market-driven fantasy of the happy dog-like creatures in captivity. And I thought the film did it well.
Regarding whether anything was the orca's "fault" - ultimately of course that can't be true as the Orca had no part in creating the situation.
Jolly good. Who is Maggie's favorite Disney princess & did you like any Disney films/cartoons as kid? "The Mickey Mouse Club"? Other Disney stuff?
I think Frozen is Disney(?) in which case one of those princesses would be her favorite. I worked hard to steer her away from the whole Disney Princess thing and was, for the most part, successful. She can probably identify most of them but I'm pretty sure that, outside of Frozen which was ubiquitous, she doesn't identify with any of them. I wasn't a big Disney fan myself,  but I have a soft spot for Robin Hood and Bambi.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #360 on: December 22, 2016, 03:25:33 AM »

Question to everybody - KDS, Emily, Chocolate Shake et al - which film stands out for you as the unconventional example, unlike any films you'd seen before & after? Discuss.

Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #361 on: December 22, 2016, 03:47:45 AM »

Heavenly Creatures.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #362 on: December 22, 2016, 04:42:49 AM »

Explain that choice.

KDS
« Reply #363 on: December 22, 2016, 09:33:26 AM »

Question to everybody - KDS, Emily, Chocolate Shake et al - which film stands out for you as the unconventional example, unlike any films you'd seen before & after? Discuss.

I'll be honest, I can't really think of any off the top of my head. 

There are movies that set standards, but they're quickly copied, so one can't really say there are no films like them after. 

Although, I'm the wrong person to answer this question as, in general, I'm not a big fan of movies that are "unconventional."
B.E.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #364 on: December 22, 2016, 09:43:39 AM »

How about The Wizard of Oz?

Apparently, as a kid, I watched it so many times that I wore out the tape and my parents had to buy me another copy.

Every wave is new until it breaks.
Jarhead ghost
Smiley Smile Associate

"Unfinished Business"

View Profile
« Reply #365 on: December 22, 2016, 06:59:31 PM »

watching the actor Robert Blake lately-- all his stuff that I get my hands on.
the show Baretta.
watchable and charismatic leading man Robert Blake,the ham acting, and unintentionally hilarious melodrama-plus,the dated 70's fashions have aged like- a fine thing-that,uh.. that ages well.

season 1 was officially released .
Seasons 2,3 are available as boots .
 Baretta has not been in regular syndication since the 1980's.
you've most likely never seen it. And I've most likely never seen mine.
I never once saw an episode of baretta . Never once saw Baratta. Not even in passing. Never saw it.  not. once.

you know that makes a difference . At least my theory is is that it does.
Not even to remember a title card. Or a title.
 to not have had a dim memory of at least a single moment of exposure to something. that's something.

It has a great theme song,too. I prefer the version from season 1. It's instrumental and funkier than the one featuring Sammy Davis Jr, on vocals. Something about the candyman--"oozes funk."  -- wait,no. I meant the *exact opposite*.

« Last Edit: December 22, 2016, 07:02:19 PM by bigsurdrifter » Logged
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #366 on: December 23, 2016, 06:01:27 AM »

Paging Emily (Reply No. 362)

2KDS: Is there film role you'd seen that you felt s/he is miscast? Discounting the actors playing the same character, e.g. Batman, Sherlock Holmes.
1stly, the old devil couple in "Rosemary's Baby" - couldn't they cast smb. looking frightening? These are some cutesy doll pair. Thanks to it, this film is anything but "horror".
Now you.

KDS
« Reply #367 on: December 23, 2016, 06:06:29 AM »

Paging Emily (Reply No. 362)

2KDS: Is there film role you'd seen that you felt s/he is miscast? Discounting the actors playing the same character, e.g. Batman, Sherlock Holmes.
1stly, the old devil couple in "Rosemary's Baby" - couldn't they cast smb. looking frightening? These are some cutesy doll pair. Thanks to it, this film is anything but "horror".
Now you.

I felt that the actor who played Louis Creed in Pet Sematary could've been better.  He was OK, but I thought a more convincing lead would've made the movie more effective. 

Rosie O Donnell as Betty Rubble in the live action Flintstones movie was an awful cast of miscasting.  I thought they did a great job with Fred, Barney, and Wilma, but Betty?  What were they thinking? 

It was only CGI, but I wasn't really a fan of Jim Carrey in the A Christmas Carol movie from 2009.  I always wanted to see the late Alan Rickman play Scrooge.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #368 on: December 23, 2016, 06:09:39 AM »

Apparently, as a kid, I watched it so many times that I wore out the tape and my parents had to buy me another copy.
In some magazine, 50 actors made list of 5 favorite movies; "The Wizard of Oz" featured frequently.

KDS
« Reply #369 on: December 23, 2016, 06:12:20 AM »

In some magazine, 50 actors made list of 5 favorite movies; "The Wizard of Oz" featured frequently.

I think Wizard of Oz is one of those special movies.  I think that's why nobody has tried to remake it.  There have been numerous spin offs, sequels, prequels, TV series, cartoon specials, etc over the years, but never a remake. 
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #370 on: December 23, 2016, 06:20:09 AM »

I felt that the actor who played Louis Creed in Pet Sematary could've been better.  He was OK, but I thought a more convincing lead would've made the movie more effective. 

Rosie O Donnell as Betty Rubble in the live action Flintstones movie was an awful cast of miscasting.  I thought they did a great job with Fred, Barney, and Wilma, but Betty?  What were they thinking? 

It was only CGI, but I wasn't really a fan of Jim Carrey in the A Christmas Carol movie from 2009.  I always wanted to see the late Alan Rickman play Scrooge.
That chap in "Pet Sematary" looks a bit like the guy from "La Casa 3", about ghost girl with clown. But agree.

"A Christmas Carol" is epic fail due to it. It worked for Carrey to age in "Lemony Snicket".

Which movie is family favorite that passed from your parents? The movie you 3 enjoy?

KDS
« Reply #371 on: December 23, 2016, 06:31:43 AM »

That chap in "Pet Sematary" looks a bit like the guy from "La Casa 3", about ghost girl with clown. But agree.

"A Christmas Carol" is epic fail due to it. It worked for Carrey to age in "Lemony Snicket".

Which movie is family favorite that passed from your parents? The movie you 3 enjoy?

Well, The Wizard of Oz from a very young age. 

It didn't come out until I was nine, but when I lived at home, we used to have a Christmas Eve tradition of watching National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation. 
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #372 on: December 23, 2016, 07:05:07 AM »

It didn't come out until I was nine, but when I lived at home, we used to have a Christmas Eve tradition of watching National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation. 
Sweet. Type the 1st film you went to see at the nearby theatre. With classmates & teacher? With parents? During college?

KDS
« Reply #373 on: December 23, 2016, 07:07:13 AM »

Sweet. Type the 1st film you went to see at the nearby theatre. With classmates & teacher? With parents? During college?

I'm told the first movie I ever saw was ET, but I don't remember it.  I remember my father taking me to see 101 Dalmations.  And my mother took me to a lot of the Disney movies when they were re-released in the 1980s. 

In 4th Grade, we took a school field trip to see the 1970 musicial Scrooge.

During college?  Maybe Sixth Sense or American Pie?  I'm not 100%
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #374 on: December 23, 2016, 07:29:15 AM »

I'm told the first movie I ever saw was ET, but I don't remember it.  I remember my father taking me to see 101 Dalmations.  And my mother took me to a lot of the Disney movies when they were re-released in the 1980s. 

In 4th Grade, we took a school field trip to see the 1970 musicial Scrooge.

During college?  Maybe Sixth Sense or American Pie?  I'm not 100%
You were just 2, wee lad. As you mention E.T., the boy didn't fit the role. It's like they rushedly picked some random kid to cast in movie. If there's good thing about Spielberg films is that the actors were cast rightly.

Is there any hyped-up youth film you didn't care for? The fuss of "Butterfly Effect" & "Walk To Remember" completely passed me by. Zzzzz.

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 ... 56   Go Up
Print
Jump to: