-->
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:11:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News: Endless Summer Quarterly
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  The Smiley Smile Message Board
|-+  Non Smiley Smile Stuff
| |-+  The Sandbox
| | |-+  What are you watching now?/Favourite Movie of the Moment
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 ... 56   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: What are you watching now?/Favourite Movie of the Moment  (Read 443346 times)
Ovi
Smiley Smile Associate

They know I'm rock 'n' roll through and through.

View Profile
« Reply #325 on: December 18, 2016, 12:25:46 PM »

This past week:

The Shawshank Redemption
Forrest Gump
When Harry Met Sally
The Tree of Life

How'd you like the Tree Of Life?

I was completely blown away by it. I'd watched it back in high school when it came out but didn't really get it. Decided to re-visit now and man...it's been a long time since I enjoyed a movie so much. Every scene just hit home.
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #326 on: December 18, 2016, 07:06:10 PM »

Yeah, I grew up outside of New York
Yep, I knew it, that is why I asked about Broadway. 3D I'm sure Maggie would get kick out of it. You mentioned John Malkovich - casual fan, the movies he played in he seems to be good actor. F.ex. "Changeling". It's good film with good cast. I'd add him to the "Interesting actors" list, as well as James Marsden from young actors ("Interstate 60"). Gary Sinese played in Stephen King's "The Stand". Speaking of King, Rob Lowe played in 2000s remake of "Salem's Lot".

Many actors working in film & stage say that playing in stage is fun & don't say if movie experience was good or bad. They say they enjoy & never refuse the theatre roles. Don't you think it's strange? They must repeat the same lines 100+ times if the audience liked it. The movies, they just do few takes, "Cut!" & off you go. Discuss.

[...] As for this year's cancellations... Vinyl and Roadies. Both amazing music based shows. Why??
I'd like to see "Vinyl" - Mick Jagger stood behind it.
I think that the fun of acting for many actors is broken up by the way movies are usually filmed: a few lines, cut, adjust, fuss around, a few more lines... they don't film the scenes in order, etc. so it's harder to get into it. Also, the immediate validation from the audience is absent.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #327 on: December 18, 2016, 10:58:56 PM »

I think that the fun of acting for many actors is broken up by the way movies are usually filmed: a few lines, cut, adjust, fuss around, a few more lines... they don't film the scenes in order, etc. so it's harder to get into it. Also, the immediate validation from the audience is absent.
You're smart cookie 3D - good answer.

We get to documentaries - many people say this is genre they prefer: it's real, with evidences; witnesses, survivors being interviewed, scans of rare pictures, archived material etc. Do you agree? F.ex., to my mind, it being "documentary" doesn't guarantee everything is true there. What say you?

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
KDS
« Reply #328 on: December 19, 2016, 05:07:51 AM »

Hmmm.   I don't know if my wife had ever seen Summer Rental before we started dating, and we watch it at least once a summer.  I think I showed her The Monster Squad for the first time.  

I've gotten her into some older Vincent Price horror / comedies like Comedy of Terror and Tales of Terror.  I'm still trying to convince her to check out Zombieland, since she liked Shaun of the Dead.

Early on, she got me to watch Twlight, which stands as the worst movie I've ever seen.  

She kinda got me back into The Muppets.  I checked out on them when I was probably eight (around 1988), but she's a fan, and now I really like The Muppet Movie (which I never saw as a kid), Muppets Christmas Carol, The Muppet Show, and the 2011 movie reboot.  We also both enjoyed the Office - style show that was on ABC last season.  
You're like "sweet pair Twix". 3D

Speaking of worst movies, you seem not to like current stuff. Is there movie from the 60s-70s-80s that you can say the same? Discounting reboots/remakes/ What was, so to speak, the "Twilight" of the past decades?

There are some sci fi movies from the 60s and 70s that're pretty bad.  And some low rent horror movies. 

Two from the 1980s that come to mind are The Burning and Silent Night Deadly Night.  I'm a little biased because, with a couple exceptions, I'm not a big fan of the slasher genre, but I think these movies are both awful.  In my opinion, there's not an ounce of suspense whatsoever.  They both stick to the slasher formula of questionable acting, gorey kills, and a little female nudity thrown in.  But without the suspense of better movies like Halloween or A Nightmare on Elm St, these are just low rent imitations.

Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #329 on: December 19, 2016, 05:10:02 AM »

This past week:

The Shawshank Redemption
Forrest Gump
When Harry Met Sally
The Tree of Life

I was completely blown away by it. I'd watched it back in high school when it came out but didn't really get it. Decided to re-visit now and man...it's been a long time since I enjoyed a movie so much. Every scene just hit home.
Wow. Based on your music comments, I had guessed you were in the mid-30s.
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #330 on: December 19, 2016, 05:11:25 AM »

You're smart cookie 3D - good answer.

We get to documentaries - many people say this is genre they prefer: it's real, with evidences; witnesses, survivors being interviewed, scans of rare pictures, archived material etc. Do you agree? F.ex., to my mind, it being "documentary" doesn't guarantee everything is true there. What say you?
Nothing is guaranteed to be true. Always validate with other sources. I thought Blackfish was really good.
KDS
« Reply #331 on: December 19, 2016, 05:12:02 AM »

I'd like to see "Vinyl" - Mick Jagger stood behind it.

I really liked Vinyl.  I was sad to see it get cancelled so soon.  I think HBO could've rolled the dice on ten more episodes.  I guess they don't want it to get in the way of them showing the same ten movies over and over.  

I also think it's worth noting that HBO passed on The Walking Dead because AMC got it.
Ovi
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #332 on: December 19, 2016, 05:12:20 AM »

This past week:

The Shawshank Redemption
Forrest Gump
When Harry Met Sally
The Tree of Life

Wow. Based on your music comments, I had guessed you were in the mid-30s.

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #333 on: December 19, 2016, 05:13:48 AM »

Ovi is the man! Grin

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Ovi
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #334 on: December 19, 2016, 05:17:07 AM »

Ovi is the man! Grin

Long time no talk. What's been up with you, man?
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #335 on: December 19, 2016, 05:19:31 AM »

Not much, been working like crazy at two jobs! You?

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #336 on: December 19, 2016, 02:21:56 PM »

This past week:

The Shawshank Redemption
Forrest Gump
When Harry Met Sally
The Tree of Life

I'm glad to hear, it's one of my favorites. You know the creation scene full of space/universe shots? Malick has a documentary/movie out called 'Voyage of Time' that is similar to the creation scene from 'Tree of Life', narrated by Brad Pitt. I can't wait to see it. Also check out 'Thin Red Line' if you haven't already!

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #337 on: December 20, 2016, 05:49:02 AM »

There are some sci fi movies from the 60s and 70s that're pretty bad.  And some low rent horror movies. 

Two from the 1980s that come to mind are The Burning and Silent Night Deadly Night.  I'm a little biased because, with a couple exceptions, I'm not a big fan of the slasher genre, but I think these movies are both awful.  In my opinion, there's not an ounce of suspense whatsoever.  They both stick to the slasher formula of questionable acting, gorey kills, and a little female nudity thrown in.  But without the suspense of better movies like Halloween or A Nightmare on Elm St, these are just low rent imitations.
Freddy Krueger is very good commercial idea for horror. Maybe the best horror villain. Who would be yours?

Did you like "Friday the 13th" franchise? The latest were bad. & "Freddy vs. Jason" was bad move on the writers' side. Meshing these chaps together didn't work.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #338 on: December 20, 2016, 05:53:39 AM »

Nothing is guaranteed to be true. Always validate with other sources. I thought Blackfish was really good.
What'd you like about it? I read the divided camps - some blame orca, others think she did it by influence of things. Who is right iyo?
I liked "Good Ol' Freda".

KDS
« Reply #339 on: December 20, 2016, 05:55:19 AM »

Freddy Krueger is very good commercial idea for horror. Maybe the best horror villain. Who would be yours?

Did you like "Friday the 13th" franchise? The latest were bad. & "Freddy vs. Jason" was bad move on the writers' side. Meshing these chaps together didn't work.

To be honest, I'm not a huge fan of the Friday the 13th movies.  I thought the original was good, but I thought the franchise paled in comparison to the Halloween franchise.  I always see the Friday the 13th franchise as just a bunch of faceless victims, and I thought they kinda made fun of that in Freddy v Jason.

Best horror villain.  I like Michael Myers a lot, especially in the early movies when he was just an unstoppable evil person.  Unfortunately, in the later movies, they went to ridiculous lengths to explain that evil.  

I also like Hannibal Lecter a lot, although, those movies are probably more suspense than horror.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #340 on: December 20, 2016, 06:02:24 AM »

To be honest, I'm not a huge fan of the Friday the 13th movies.  I thought the original was good, but I thought the franchise paled in comparison to the Halloween franchise.  I always see the Friday the 13th franchise as just a bunch of faceless victims, and I thought they kinda made fun of that in Freddy v Jason.

Best horror villain.  I like Michael Myers a lot, especially in the early movies when he was just an unstoppable evil person.  Unfortunately, in the later movies, they went to ridiculous lengths to explain that evil.  

I also like Hannibal Lecter a lot, although, those movies are probably more suspense than horror.
Cool classic picks.
A bit of fun question before continuing the usual discussion - if these 2 were paired against eye-to-eye, who'd you bet your bucks to win? I'd say Lecter would beat Mike easily. He'd chew his mask off, then the rest. Your turn. :D

KDS
« Reply #341 on: December 20, 2016, 09:11:40 AM »

Cool classic picks.
A bit of fun question before continuing the usual discussion - if these 2 were paired against eye-to-eye, who'd you bet your bucks to win? I'd say Lecter would beat Mike easily. He'd chew his mask off, then the rest. Your turn. :D

I'd pick Michael.  While Lecter might have the ability to outsmart Myers, Myers lacks any real logic or reason, so that, to me, makes him more dangerous in a fight
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #342 on: December 20, 2016, 09:51:09 AM »

I'd pick Michael.  While Lecter might have the ability to outsmart Myers, Myers lacks any real logic or reason, so that, to me, makes him more dangerous in a fight
Definitely can see it.

Do you agree that there should not be Oscars, Saturns & other awards? Do you think it spoils the film industry & overrated?

Ovi
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #343 on: December 20, 2016, 12:59:18 PM »

Not much, been working like crazy at two jobs! You?

Same old, same old. Trying to find more time to post here.

I'm glad to hear, it's one of my favorites. You know the creation scene full of space/universe shots? Malick has a documentary/movie out called 'Voyage of Time' that is similar to the creation scene from 'Tree of Life', narrated by Brad Pitt. I can't wait to see it. Also check out 'Thin Red Line' if you haven't already!

Thanks, I definitely need to check out more of Malick's stuff.
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #344 on: December 20, 2016, 01:00:40 PM »

Days of Heaven is one of my favourite movies.
KDS
« Reply #345 on: December 20, 2016, 01:34:14 PM »

Definitely can see it.

Do you agree that there should not be Oscars, Saturns & other awards? Do you think it spoils the film industry & overrated?

I don't think the Oscars or any awards really do anything to hurt or help the industry.  I kinda feel the same way about the Grammys.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #346 on: December 20, 2016, 08:06:35 PM »

Days of Heaven is one of my favourite movies.

Yes! It has been so long since I've seen this one but I remember so much from it.

The first time I saw a Malick film was much like Ovi's experience: I didn't really get it. But once you realize that his movies are more like poetry than a conventional Hollywood flick you come to appreciate the grand scope of what you're watching, and it all falls into place.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #347 on: December 21, 2016, 12:05:55 AM »

I don't think the Oscars or any awards really do anything to hurt or help the industry.  I kinda feel the same way about the Grammys.
These award shows get boring quickly - same actors get them, f.ex. if you're young actor nominated the same year with veteran actor - consider you go home with empty hands. Bad timing, bad luck. Smb. would say it brings good competitive spirit but is there even difference in statues? Lead role statue & supporting role look the same, as do the numerous other tiny nominations. At least at Berlin International Film Festival there is Silver Bear & Golden Bear. Maybe premium/bonus differs?

Ideally, every actor/director should get single Oscar/ Golden Globe/ etc. during their entire acting career. Why collect the same stuff 5 times? Case in point: some actress - Candice Bergen? - she starred in TV series that ran many seasons & she would be awarded Emmy(?) each season. She got fed up & said to jury or smb. else that they don't nominate her anymore. They accepted.

OK, we said before best villain - tell your best hero in a film, any genre. Who do you consider "colorful figure in the cinema"?

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #348 on: December 21, 2016, 12:13:00 AM »

Angelina Jolie directed "Unbroken" - it's in my "to-watch" list - she said to be inspired by Malick's filming methods & she's fan.

Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #349 on: December 21, 2016, 03:41:47 AM »

What'd you like about it? I read the divided camps - some blame orca, others think she did it by influence of things. Who is right iyo?
I liked "Good Ol' Freda".
I thought it was revealing of the general truth that when animals are used for profit-making ventures, the well-being of the animal is not going to be the first priority in the treatment of the animal. I thought it was important to break the market-driven fantasy of the happy dog-like creatures in captivity. And I thought the film did it well.
Regarding whether anything was the orca's "fault" - ultimately of course that can't be true as the Orca had no part in creating the situation.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 ... 56   Go Up
Print
Jump to: