-->
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:58:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News: peteramescarlin.com
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  The Smiley Smile Message Board
|-+  Non Smiley Smile Stuff
| |-+  The Sandbox
| | |-+  What are you watching now?/Favourite Movie of the Moment
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 ... 56   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: What are you watching now?/Favourite Movie of the Moment  (Read 443168 times)
KDS
« Reply #300 on: December 16, 2016, 12:17:42 PM »

Really? The Imdb thread that post referred to "staycation" is old. But you're right, vacation is time off in U.S. Maybe the poster was British? There they use the word "holidays".

Is there any movie that you converted your wife to & vice versa?

Hmmm.   I don't know if my wife had ever seen Summer Rental before we started dating, and we watch it at least once a summer.  I think I showed her The Monster Squad for the first time.  

I've gotten her into some older Vincent Price horror / comedies like Comedy of Terror and Tales of Terror.  I'm still trying to convince her to check out Zombieland, since she liked Shaun of the Dead.

Early on, she got me to watch Twlight, which stands as the worst movie I've ever seen.  

She kinda got me back into The Muppets.  I checked out on them when I was probably eight (around 1988), but she's a fan, and now I really like The Muppet Movie (which I never saw as a kid), Muppets Christmas Carol, The Muppet Show, and the 2011 movie reboot.  We also both enjoyed the Office - style show that was on ABC last season.  
KDS
« Reply #301 on: December 16, 2016, 12:18:39 PM »

I don't mean to derail your conversation but the "staycation" thing interested me. It seems that the word was coined in the early-to-mid 00s, and was popularized around the financial collapse in 07-08, as more and more people were "forced" to make their time off from work stay-at-home time. (That was the era I first heard the term, I think: around 2008.)

But it's such a near-obvious blend of words, maybe someone else did use the phrase as a joke just on an individual level? It seems plausible that a clever reviewer or commenter could have "invented" the word separately from the pop culture invention.

OK, sorry for the interruption: back to your discussion.

That's about when I remember first hearing it. 
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #302 on: December 16, 2016, 04:13:21 PM »

2Emily: not familiar. You listed films/actors everybody likes but not you. Which feature film you liked that everybody didn't & which actor/actress you like to see & think s/he saves even bad film? You mentioned before Meryl Streep. Anybody else?

I can't think of any movies that people generally had a bad reaction that I like. There are some really bad movies that I enjoy - but that's another question.
I don't think any actor can necessarily save ANY bad film - even Streep. Though I've seen a few bad films that were much improved by her presence. There was a really bad movie long ago called She Devil in which Meryl Streep was hilariously good.
There was a period when Joan Cusack in a bit part could make anything funny. Or Chris Cooper or David Strathairn could ground anything that's getting ridiculous. Nicholas Cage could make anything grounded ridiculous. Or Bill Murray could make something not funny funny. Christian Bale or Holly Hunter could make a dictionary reading intense. Christopher Walken could make a dictionary reading psychologically weird. Emma Thompson can bring it earnest but humorous humanity. Keanu Reeves could just stand there and the set was improved. These things are best considered in hindsight.
In 10! years ask me about people from early this century.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #303 on: December 16, 2016, 04:16:38 PM »

Keanu Reeves could just stand there and the set was improved.

LOL

There may or may not be people about whom I'd make a similar statement. Great "actors," those.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2016, 04:17:19 PM by the captain » Logged

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #304 on: December 16, 2016, 04:33:56 PM »

I won't ask who you think are the best set decorations, but who in your lifetime has impressed you as a particularly interesting actor, the captain? You too, RR?
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #305 on: December 16, 2016, 04:37:16 PM »

And I hope you're warm.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #306 on: December 16, 2016, 04:51:59 PM »

Emily, I might be the worst person to ask. Movies and TV are pretty low on my list of interests, at least in any respectable form. I'm more likely to enjoy people who are by all accounts one-trick ponies than people who are, I'm told, good actors. (I can have a stronger opinion watching live theater. Maybe it's about that divide. Maybe I'm just shallow. I leave open all options.) And besides, I don't watch all that much stuff, especially movies.

People whose acting I like across movies/shows (as opposed to individual performances I may have particularly loved) would probably be Phillip Seymour Hoffman, John C Reilly, Meryl Streep, Julianne Moore...after that, it gets thin. I've loved Bill Murray often, but he's usually just Bill Murray, more or less. When I like Jason Schwartzman, I suspect I just like Wes Anderson. And so on.

As for set decorations, well, if in my day I've noticed Scarlett Johansson, Beyonce (oh, she's an actress), or Liv Tyler amongst the curtains and chairs, well...

As for warm, nope. It's warmed up to 12 (highest high in days), but we're expecting a foot of snow in return for the favor. We'll be back to single digit highs tomorrow just in time to shovel, and then we're down to the negatives by Sunday. I love Minneapolis and Minnesota ... usually. But c'mon.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #307 on: December 16, 2016, 04:55:24 PM »

That's a damned respectable list, both the decorations and the actors.
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #308 on: December 16, 2016, 04:58:32 PM »

And those temperatures call for a movie marathon, with cocoa, a blanket, slippers and buttered popcorn.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #309 on: December 16, 2016, 05:06:32 PM »

Some of the above seem likely.

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #310 on: December 17, 2016, 11:19:04 AM »

Hmmm.   I don't know if my wife had ever seen Summer Rental before we started dating, and we watch it at least once a summer.  I think I showed her The Monster Squad for the first time.  

I've gotten her into some older Vincent Price horror / comedies like Comedy of Terror and Tales of Terror.  I'm still trying to convince her to check out Zombieland, since she liked Shaun of the Dead.

Early on, she got me to watch Twlight, which stands as the worst movie I've ever seen.  

She kinda got me back into The Muppets.  I checked out on them when I was probably eight (around 1988), but she's a fan, and now I really like The Muppet Movie (which I never saw as a kid), Muppets Christmas Carol, The Muppet Show, and the 2011 movie reboot.  We also both enjoyed the Office - style show that was on ABC last season.  
You're like "sweet pair Twix". 3D

Speaking of worst movies, you seem not to like current stuff. Is there movie from the 60s-70s-80s that you can say the same? Discounting reboots/remakes/ What was, so to speak, the "Twilight" of the past decades?

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #311 on: December 17, 2016, 11:30:41 AM »

I can't think of any movies that people generally had a bad reaction that I like. There are some really bad movies that I enjoy - but that's another question.
I don't think any actor can necessarily save ANY bad film - even Streep. Though I've seen a few bad films that were much improved by her presence. There was a really bad movie long ago called She Devil in which Meryl Streep was hilariously good.
There was a period when Joan Cusack in a bit part could make anything funny. Or Chris Cooper or David Strathairn could ground anything that's getting ridiculous. Nicholas Cage could make anything grounded ridiculous. Or Bill Murray could make something not funny funny. Christian Bale or Holly Hunter could make a dictionary reading intense. Christopher Walken could make a dictionary reading psychologically weird. Emma Thompson can bring it earnest but humorous humanity. Keanu Reeves could just stand there and the set was improved. These things are best considered in hindsight.
Thanks for reply. Never heard of Christian Bale, Holly Hunter, Emma Thompson, Chris Cooper.

Interesting actors: Ron Perlman, Sylvester Stallone (he isn't just muscle-bound guy with no brains, he's got underrated comedic talent), Julia Ormond, Abigail Breslin (for kid, she's impressive), Patsy Kelly, Audrey/Katherine Hepburn, Peter Lorre, Mick Jagger (super artistic), Ed Harris, Michelle Pfeiffer, Kathy Bates, Timothy Hutton, Gene Tierney, Art Carney.

Did you see any stage play on Broadway? Other legitimate stage? What did you like?
« Last Edit: December 17, 2016, 11:46:36 AM by RangeRoverA1 » Logged

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #312 on: December 17, 2016, 11:37:58 AM »

I don't mean to derail your conversation but the "staycation" thing interested me. It seems that the word was coined in the early-to-mid 00s, and was popularized around the financial collapse in 07-08, as more and more people were "forced" to make their time off from work stay-at-home time. (That was the era I first heard the term, I think: around 2008.)

But it's such a near-obvious blend of words, maybe someone else did use the phrase as a joke just on an individual level? It seems plausible that a clever reviewer or commenter could have "invented" the word separately from the pop culture invention.

OK, sorry for the interruption: back to your discussion.
It's OK to do it if smb. got sth. to add. That said, I do think like that too. F.ex. "Hipsterism" got 3 of you with Emily & KDS talking, it was fun discussion that I did not want to get in the way of such great dialog.

Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #313 on: December 17, 2016, 07:59:13 PM »

Thanks for reply. Never heard of Christian Bale, Holly Hunter, Emma Thompson, Chris Cooper.

Interesting actors: Ron Perlman, Sylvester Stallone (he isn't just muscle-bound guy with no brains, he's got underrated comedic talent), Julia Ormond, Abigail Breslin (for kid, she's impressive), Patsy Kelly, Audrey/Katherine Hepburn, Peter Lorre, Mick Jagger (super artistic), Ed Harris, Michelle Pfeiffer, Kathy Bates, Timothy Hutton, Gene Tierney, Art Carney.

Did you see any stage play on Broadway? Other legitimate stage? What did you like?
Yeah, I grew up outside of New York, so I saw lots of plays on and off Broadway, from Annie when I was 8 on up. I saw Evita when I was way too young to understand any of it. But the music and singing was fascinating to me. And Sweeney Todd and Cats and all that. I haven't been to a Broadway musical since I was a kid though. I had seasonal tickets to the American Repertory Theater in Cambridge for years. They did a mix of plays from Shakespeare through Moliere, Ionesco, Beckett, Stoppard, to completely contemporary. I think the most interesting experience though not the most interesting play was Burn This on Broadway with John Malkovich, Gary Sinise and Joan Allen before any of them were movie stars. Malkovich completely blew me away. He doesn't really fit on screen the way he does on stage. Just another few years until my daughter is old enough to sit through a play properly. I'm so excited.
Ovi
Smiley Smile Associate

They know I'm rock 'n' roll through and through.

View Profile
« Reply #314 on: December 18, 2016, 04:56:35 AM »

This past week:

The Shawshank Redemption
Forrest Gump
When Harry Met Sally
The Tree of Life
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #315 on: December 18, 2016, 05:47:23 AM »

Can I mention TV? Because with the deep freeze over Minneapolis (it's -23F at the moment, wind chills well into the -30s), yesterday I started binging on the TV show The Grinder. I'd heard of it maybe a year ago or so, when Fred Savage (one of the show's stars) was a guest on The Nerdist podcast. The show is an absurd comedy in which Rob Lowe plays a self-absorbed actor coming home to Boise, Idaho, after an eight-year run playing an attorney on a TV show (titled "The Grinder"). In Boise, he moves in with his brother (Savage's character), who is a real-life attorney, and his family. Lowe decides his TV experience is sufficient that he can contribute to the real-life firm, and--I said it's absurd--basically everyone except Savage totally buys in.

I've been looking for a new, small-investment (in terms of time and attention) show, and this is it. Hilarious.

Ovi
Smiley Smile Associate

They know I'm rock 'n' roll through and through.

View Profile
« Reply #316 on: December 18, 2016, 06:27:18 AM »

Can I mention TV? Because with the deep freeze over Minneapolis (it's -23F at the moment, wind chills well into the -30s), yesterday I started binging on the TV show The Grinder. I'd heard of it maybe a year ago or so, when Fred Savage (one of the show's stars) was a guest on The Nerdist podcast. The show is an absurd comedy in which Rob Lowe plays a self-absorbed actor coming home to Boise, Idaho, after an eight-year run playing an attorney on a TV show (titled "The Grinder"). In Boise, he moves in with his brother (Savage's character), who is a real-life attorney, and his family. Lowe decides his TV experience is sufficient that he can contribute to the real-life firm, and--I said it's absurd--basically everyone except Savage totally buys in.

I've been looking for a new, small-investment (in terms of time and attention) show, and this is it. Hilarious.

Great show. Cancelled after only one season unfortunately.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #317 on: December 18, 2016, 06:34:06 AM »

Almost a badge of honor! OK, not really--a lot of crap gets cancelled after one season because it's crap--but it's far from the only good show to suffer that fate. Freaks & Geeks, anyone?

Scaroline No
« Reply #318 on: December 18, 2016, 07:30:36 AM »

Almost a badge of honor! OK, not really--a lot of crap gets cancelled after one season because it's crap--but it's far from the only good show to suffer that fate. Freaks & Geeks, anyone?
Seriously... and Firefly, of course. As for this year's cancellations... Vinyl and Roadies. Both amazing music based shows. Why??
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #319 on: December 18, 2016, 07:33:24 AM »

I like the premise. I don't have TV but I have some streaming services. Where did you watch it?
My favorite TV from recent years was Galavant and the Killing.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #320 on: December 18, 2016, 07:36:03 AM »

The Grinder is on Netflix, which is where I'm watching it.

I loved Galavant, too.

Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #321 on: December 18, 2016, 07:42:47 AM »

The Grinder is on Netflix, which is where I'm watching it.

I loved Galavant, too.
Yay. I'll watch it.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #322 on: December 18, 2016, 08:03:39 AM »

I will go in person to the Monday night football game between the Washington Redskins and Carolina Panthers tommorrow....

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #323 on: December 18, 2016, 08:58:17 AM »

Yeah, I grew up outside of New York
Yep, I knew it, that is why I asked about Broadway. 3D I'm sure Maggie would get kick out of it. You mentioned John Malkovich - casual fan, the movies he played in he seems to be good actor. F.ex. "Changeling". It's good film with good cast. I'd add him to the "Interesting actors" list, as well as James Marsden from young actors ("Interstate 60"). Gary Sinese played in Stephen King's "The Stand". Speaking of King, Rob Lowe played in 2000s remake of "Salem's Lot".

Many actors working in film & stage say that playing in stage is fun & don't say if movie experience was good or bad. They say they enjoy & never refuse the theatre roles. Don't you think it's strange? They must repeat the same lines 100+ times if the audience liked it. The movies, they just do few takes, "Cut!" & off you go. Discuss.

[...] As for this year's cancellations... Vinyl and Roadies. Both amazing music based shows. Why??
I'd like to see "Vinyl" - Mick Jagger stood behind it.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2016, 09:10:50 AM by RangeRoverA1 » Logged

rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #324 on: December 18, 2016, 10:37:31 AM »

This past week:

The Shawshank Redemption
Forrest Gump
When Harry Met Sally
The Tree of Life

How'd you like the Tree Of Life?

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 ... 56   Go Up
Print
Jump to: