-->
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:06:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News: Beach Boys Britain
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  The Smiley Smile Message Board
|-+  Non Smiley Smile Stuff
| |-+  The Sandbox
| | |-+  What are you watching now?/Favourite Movie of the Moment
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 ... 56   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: What are you watching now?/Favourite Movie of the Moment  (Read 443342 times)
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #275 on: December 15, 2016, 05:42:30 AM »

Agree to disagree.  In my opinion though, the dialog and iconic lines in other movies come more organically.
Again, Tarantino isn't the only director who makes movies with "hip style", as you dubbed it. He's the best known. Don't Cohen brothers make independent movies too? Before mentioned "Big Lebowski", f.ex. - as I said, I will reiterate, some posters used the lines from that film. Quite bizarre artsy stuff.
The thing is, you're not fan of avant garde/ indie type films - I am. The dialogs were good imo.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
KDS
« Reply #276 on: December 15, 2016, 06:02:53 AM »

Agree to disagree.  In my opinion though, the dialog and iconic lines in other movies come more organically.
Again, Tarantino isn't the only director who makes movies with "hip style", as you dubbed it. He's the best known. Don't Cohen brothers make independent movies too? Before mentioned "Big Lebowski", f.ex. - as I said, I will reiterate, some posters used the lines from that film. Quite bizarre artsy stuff.
The thing is, you're not fan of avant garde/ indie type films - I am. The dialogs were good imo.

Of course Tarantino isn't the first.  All I'm saying is that, in my opinion, the dialog / hip factor on Tarantino films seems forced to me.  Just an opinion, no reason to belabor it. 
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #277 on: December 15, 2016, 06:22:57 AM »

We discuss, not belabor, big difference. Let's look at it generally. Every screenwriter wants their script to be picked up by director to make movie. For that, they make up some cool/funny/hip/catchy lines that in their view could be popular with theatre-goers. They definitely think that they would succeed, this is winner story etc. But for some reason, people don't get it. It's failure. So, Tarantino was confident about his films too but due to right or bad timing it could just as well be failure. It's people who decide what would be successful, the last say is theirs. Tarantino was luckier in that case. I'd argue that the lines in other movies would be "organic".

Next question: Did you see "Twin Peaks" feature film? Some say the series is very good & I read the feature is basis for the series. If that's the case, I may have missed sth. as I didn't understand what's the fuss about. OK, some girl was killed - and? I didn't even get what David Bowie was doing there, he didn't add anything to the story.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2016, 06:26:48 AM by RangeRoverA1 » Logged

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
KDS
« Reply #278 on: December 15, 2016, 06:28:56 AM »

We discuss, not belabor, big difference. Let's look at it generally. Every screenwriter wants their script to be picked up by director to make movie. For that, they make up some cool/funny/hip/catchy lines that in their view could be popular with theatre-goers. They definitely think that they would succeed, this is winner story etc. But for some reason, people don't get it. It's failure. So, Tarantino was confident about his films too but due to right or bad timing it could just as well be failure. It's people who decide what would be successful, the last say is theirs. Tarantino was luckier in that case. I'd argue that the lines in other movies would be "organic".

Next question: Did you see "Twin Peaks" feature film? Some say the series is very good & I read the feature is basis for the series. If that's the case, I may have missed sth. as I didn't understand what's the fuss about. OK, some girl was killed - and? I didn't even get what David Bowie was doing there, he didn't add anything to the story.

I've never seen Twin Peaks, either the show or the movie.  For the most part, I never really watched any hour long dramas when I was growing up. 

I really still don't to be honest. 
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #279 on: December 15, 2016, 06:36:54 AM »

Speaking of growing, would you agree that the 90s in movies were bad decade? Is there 90s film that for you was the best film in that era?

KDS
« Reply #280 on: December 15, 2016, 06:47:49 AM »

Speaking of growing, would you agree that the 90s in movies were bad decade? Is there 90s film that for you was the best film in that era?

Eh, that's hard to say.  I definitely think it was a down decade for horror movies.  There were too many teeny slasher - lite movies for my taste.

I tend to go for more escapist fare, so I doubt my favorite movies from the 1990s are going to make the list of any true film buff.  

I like a lot of 1990s comedies.  Home Alone comes to mind.  Wayne's World.  I like a lot of Jim Carrey's movies.  Kingpin.  Men in Black.  Groundhog Day.  Clerks.  American Pie.  

The 90s seemed to transition away from what I call "clean comedies."  Movies with Bill Murray, John Candy, Dan Aykroyd, Steve Martin, etc.  And with movies like Clerks, American Pie, and There's Something About Mary, the R-Rated comedy started to be big again, and that continued into the 2000s.  While I can enjoy a funny, crude, comedy, I think it's sad that writers can't seem to pull off a comedy that's not R-rated today.  

Some non comedies from the 1990s I really liked include Forrest Gump, Independence Day, Jurassic Park, Edward Scissorhands, etc.

Personally, I think the 1990s were far more kind to movies than music.  
« Last Edit: December 15, 2016, 06:48:43 AM by KDS » Logged
KDS
« Reply #281 on: December 15, 2016, 06:55:26 AM »

And if you're talking about "growing" movies in the 90s, you had

Honey I Blew Up the Kid (1992) - I can't believe Lloyd Bridges signed up for this.  The original was charming and fun.  This one was just.........eh....

There was a made for TV remake of the Attack of the 50 Foot Woman with Darryl Hannah.  It almost captures the campy B-movie vibe of the 50s and 60s, right down to the inexplicable scene when the titular character grows, and all of her clothes tear off, but her underwear grows with her. 
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #282 on: December 15, 2016, 07:19:58 AM »

"Mask" is my favorite Jim Carrey film. Like it since 7. The other favorite comedy is "Stop! or my mom will shoot" & "Oscar", both with Sylvester Stallone. I am Stallone fan since 7. The best "Home Alone" is Macaulay Culkin, then 4 & 5. The 3rd shouldn't be done at all.

John Candy, I rmbr catching film "Once upon a crime", they showed it during winter holidays, liked it very much. "Men in black" was bad mainly because I cannot stand any movie with Will Smith.
You listed "American pie" - I didn't get impression you like youth-oriented stuff, interesting.
"Edward Scissorhands", the newness worn out, recently I found it in the DVD disc & quickly got bored. But as teenager, it was my favorite, as was "Jumanji".
Agree with the final bit re: 90s music.

The best black actor & funniest is Chris Tucker in my view, then Dave Chappelle, sometimes Martin Lawrence & Eddie Murphy in "Beverly Hills cop" (liked that Axel theme). Who would be yours?

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #283 on: December 15, 2016, 07:32:48 AM »

Honey I Blew Up the Kid (1992) - I can't believe Lloyd Bridges signed up for this.  The original was charming and fun.  This one was just.........eh....

There was a made for TV remake of the Attack of the 50 Foot Woman with Darryl Hannah.  It almost captures the campy B-movie vibe of the 50s and 60s, right down to the inexplicable scene when the titular character grows, and all of her clothes tear off, but her underwear grows with her. 
I read in Imdb trivia that Lloyd Bridges & the rest "serious" acting cast in "Airplane" were purposely selected to play in that movie, nearly each of them played funny character for the 1st time & Lloyd in particular didn't like the lines he should say - "looks like I picked the wrong week to quit smoking/sniffing glue etc." but then after they didn't regret.

The point is, maybe these veteran actors just decided they actually enjoy get to play in non-serious movies & they shouldn't be too strict at their age about the scripts they're sent, movies they're invited to?
Case in point - Robert de Niro is much maligned in movie sites for taking roles in trash movies such as "Meet the parents" vs. quality stuff (though I think as comedian, Ben Stiller isn't bad, actually). Do you disapprove of many old-timers to be playing in cheap comedies & the like?

KDS
« Reply #284 on: December 15, 2016, 07:49:10 AM »

"Mask" is my favorite Jim Carrey film. Like it since 7. The other favorite comedy is "Stop! or my mom will shoot" & "Oscar", both with Sylvester Stallone. I am Stallone fan since 7. The best "Home Alone" is Macaulay Culkin, then 4 & 5. The 3rd shouldn't be done at all.

John Candy, I rmbr catching film "Once upon a crime", they showed it during winter holidays, liked it very much. "Men in black" was bad mainly because I cannot stand any movie with Will Smith.
You listed "American pie" - I didn't get impression you like youth-oriented stuff, interesting.
"Edward Scissorhands", the newness worn out, recently I found it in the DVD disc & quickly got bored. But as teenager, it was my favorite, as was "Jumanji".
Agree with the final bit re: 90s music.

The best black actor & funniest is Chris Tucker in my view, then Dave Chappelle, sometimes Martin Lawrence & Eddie Murphy in "Beverly Hills cop" (liked that Axel theme). Who would be yours?

I can't say I've seen any of the Home Alone's past part 2.  Once they went to a different cast, I lost interest. 

I do like a lot of the raunchy teen comedies - Animal House, Porky's, Fast Times at Ridgemont High, American Pie, Road Trip, etc. 

I'm not a huge Chris Tucker fan.  I rented Rush Hour, but didn't much care for it.  I do like Dave Chappelle, Eddie Murphy, Chris Rock, Craig Robinson, Kevin Hart, and Damon Wayans.
KDS
« Reply #285 on: December 15, 2016, 07:51:53 AM »

I read in Imdb trivia that Lloyd Bridges & the rest "serious" acting cast in "Airplane" were purposely selected to play in that movie, nearly each of them played funny character for the 1st time & Lloyd in particular didn't like the lines he should say - "looks like I picked the wrong week to quit smoking/sniffing glue etc." but then after they didn't regret.

The point is, maybe these veteran actors just decided they actually enjoy get to play in non-serious movies & they shouldn't be too strict at their age about the scripts they're sent, movies they're invited to?
Case in point - Robert de Niro is much maligned in movie sites for taking roles in trash movies such as "Meet the parents" vs. quality stuff (though I think as comedian, Ben Stiller isn't bad, actually). Do you disapprove of many old-timers to be playing in cheap comedies & the like?

I have no issue with serious actors transitioning to comedy.  Both Lloyd Bridges and Leslie Neilsen did so for Airplane, and pretty much stayed in comedy for the rest of their lives. 

I like a lot of Robert DeNiro's comedies - Meet the Parents, Analyze This, etc. 

But, my point about Honey I Blew Up the kid was that it was a very mediocre sequel to 1989's Honey I Shrunk the Kids. 
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #286 on: December 15, 2016, 09:55:23 AM »

I rented Rush Hour, but didn't much care for it.

I liked Rush Hour (to each their own, I can see why it wouldn't be everyone's cup of tea), and even as a Beach Boys fan I'll always laugh at this scene LOL

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #287 on: December 15, 2016, 10:09:11 AM »

Lolz LOL

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
KDS
« Reply #288 on: December 15, 2016, 10:12:23 AM »

I rented Rush Hour, but didn't much care for it.

I liked Rush Hour (to each their own, I can see why it wouldn't be everyone's cup of tea), and even as a Beach Boys fan I'll always laugh at this scene LOL

Seeing that in previews actually enticed me to rent the movie.  But, the whole thing just didn't do much for me. 
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #289 on: December 15, 2016, 03:27:31 PM »

Define "good film" - what should there be for you to like it?

This isn't entirely answerable, because there are aspects to taste - to emotional reactions, pleasure, aesthetics - that is too deeply psychological to be consciously identified.

But I'll mention two things that cause me to dislike a film: if the primary response it elicits from me is boredom or irritation; and if I am conscious while watching of the effort of the people working on the film, be they actors, set designers, writers, whomever (see Tarantino and Daniel Day Lewis, above).
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #290 on: December 16, 2016, 02:22:15 AM »

I can't say I've seen any of the Home Alone's past part 2.  Once they went to a different cast, I lost interest. 

I do like a lot of the raunchy teen comedies - Animal House, Porky's, Fast Times at Ridgemont High, American Pie, Road Trip, etc. 

I'm not a huge Chris Tucker fan.  I rented Rush Hour, but didn't much care for it.  I do like Dave Chappelle, Eddie Murphy, Chris Rock, Craig Robinson, Kevin Hart, and Damon Wayans.
I'd rank "Home Alone" as this: 2, 4, 5, 1, 3. The boy in the 3rd is too smart alec.

Some like prurient stuff, you're among them.

Actually, should've said "favorite black comedians". "Rush Hour" is great but I like Chris Tucker's stand-up work too, some SNL skits with Eddie Murphy & Dave Chappelle's stand-ups. Who's your favorite white comedians? Did you see their stand-up stuff in flesh (Baltimore?) or youtube?

Wrt the serious actors acting in youth movies, I got what you said, it's just you brought Lloyd Bridges & I rmbr before "Airplane" he played in serious pictures & sure am aware of Leslie Nielsen. Hence the question. Just extended from your point to other. Btw, liked "Meet the Parents" too but I'm sure you'll agree that it's not the movie role to be respected/remembered for.
Still, is there serious dramatic actor/actress playing in non-serious role - comedy, cheap low-budget horror etc. - that you think was the lowest point in their career? Besides "Honey Blew up Kid".

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #291 on: December 16, 2016, 02:25:13 AM »

This isn't entirely answerable, because there are aspects to taste - to emotional reactions, pleasure, aesthetics - that is too deeply psychological to be consciously identified.

But I'll mention two things that cause me to dislike a film: if the primary response it elicits from me is boredom or irritation; and if I am conscious while watching of the effort of the people working on the film, be they actors, set designers, writers, whomever (see Tarantino and Daniel Day Lewis, above).
That is fair. Is there film you'd seen, past/present that didn't get Oscar which, in your opinion, it should've gotten?

Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #292 on: December 16, 2016, 04:18:48 AM »

Reds. It only lost because Henry Fonda was old.
KDS
« Reply #293 on: December 16, 2016, 05:16:41 AM »

I'd rank "Home Alone" as this: 2, 4, 5, 1, 3. The boy in the 3rd is too smart alec.

Some like prurient stuff, you're among them.

Actually, should've said "favorite black comedians". "Rush Hour" is great but I like Chris Tucker's stand-up work too, some SNL skits with Eddie Murphy & Dave Chappelle's stand-ups. Who's your favorite white comedians? Did you see their stand-up stuff in flesh (Baltimore?) or youtube?

Wrt the serious actors acting in youth movies, I got what you said, it's just you brought Lloyd Bridges & I rmbr before "Airplane" he played in serious pictures & sure am aware of Leslie Nielsen. Hence the question. Just extended from your point to other. Btw, liked "Meet the Parents" too but I'm sure you'll agree that it's not the movie role to be respected/remembered for.
Still, is there serious dramatic actor/actress playing in non-serious role - comedy, cheap low-budget horror etc. - that you think was the lowest point in their career? Besides "Honey Blew up Kid".

Wow, ranking Home Alone as #4 in the franchise.  Your opinion is your opinion, but I'll guarantee that's an extremely unique ranking. 

White comedians.  George Carlin is my all time.  Then, there's Daniel Tosh, Mitch Hedberg, Dave Attell, Denis Leary, Bobby Collins, etc.  Under black comedians, I should've mentioned Cosby as his standup special Bill Cosby Himself is essential. 

I've not seen many comedians live.  I've seen Carlin a couple times (unfortunately, it was his later, angry old man phase, and I much prefer his 70s and 80s material), John Witherspoon, Daniel Tosh, Larry the Cable Guy, Jim Breuer, Steven Lynch (not a huge fan, but it was a free show). 

Sure DeNiro won't ultimately be remembered for the Focker franchise, but I think it's cool that actors that played such serious parts can have some fun late in their careers and even poke a little fun at themselves.  The best example IMO is the Analyze This / That franchise which pokes fun at DeNiro's mob movies.

A serious actor who hit a real low?  Maybe when Al Pacino had a bit pit in Adam Sandler's Jack and Jill. 
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #294 on: December 16, 2016, 09:56:30 AM »

2Emily: not familiar. You listed films/actors everybody likes but not you. Which feature film you liked that everybody didn't & which actor/actress you like to see & think s/he saves even bad film? You mentioned before Meryl Streep. Anybody else?

2KDS: "Home Alone 2" is cooler than just "Home Alone". The faux villain - lady with birds - was really cool idea. Staying home is boring. Ending up in plane to New York by mistake & living in deluxe Plaza room - now that's far-out. Bonus point for Kevin's advanced tricks.

Years back, the TV showed dreadful flick "Billy Madison". Unfunny boring pile of garbage.

Agree about serious actors/ fun. Many still live in the past grumbling about today's movies being bad & refusing to play in them but rather dredging up the oldie goldies in interviews. De Niro knows his "legend" status, it's carved. Therefore plays with young actors in youth films.
Do you like Bondiana? Who's best JB?

KDS
« Reply #295 on: December 16, 2016, 10:53:51 AM »

2KDS: "Home Alone 2" is cooler than just "Home Alone". The faux villain - lady with birds - was really cool idea. Staying home is boring. Ending up in plane to New York by mistake & living in deluxe Plaza room - now that's far-out. Bonus point for Kevin's advanced tricks.

To each their own.  But, the movie is called Home Alone. 

I tend to rate the 1st one higher for a few reasons. 

1.  It's a little more plausible.  For the same family to do something like this on two straight Christmases, and have Kevin stranded in two different locations, but still run into the same two villains? 

2.  Home Alone 2 was a fun movie, and provided some laughs, but it essentially followed the same formula.  Kevin fights with his family.  They have to rush to get to the airport, in the process Kevin is separated.  Kevin loves being on his own at first and does all kinds of hijinks, some involving a fictional mob movie franchise.  Then, he meets the seemingly scary, but actually very nice person who teaches him that perception isn't always reality (yep, he had to learn that twice, he forgot about Old Man Marley when he met the Bird Lady).  He is pursued by the Wet / Sticky Bandits, who go from petty thieves to attempted child murderers, and puts them through all kinds of physical comedy.  Hilarity ensues.  The first scary, now nice person saves Kevin from the crooks.  Kevin reunites with family just in time for Christmas.  Warm and fuzzy.  The end. 

Those are my well too thought out points about the first two movies of the Home Alone franchise. 

Other comedies to do the repeat formula for their sequel include Ghostbusters, Major League, and The Hangover.

Funny that I just read a list of the "15 Worst Christmas Movies" from ScreenRant, and it seemed like they put Home Alone 2 on the list just to take a dig at Donald Trump, who makes a brief cameo. 
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #296 on: December 16, 2016, 11:34:09 AM »

But, the movie is called Home Alone.
Smb. in Imdb board said the same about "Christmas Vacation" - it should be called "staycation".

About happy end, every kid /family film ends like that. It's got to. The old guy was funny until we found he's kind. Ditto bird lady but I liked her kindness & "defense" better than the old guy's.

You missed the question "Do you like Bondiana? Who's best JB?". Answer.

KDS
« Reply #297 on: December 16, 2016, 11:45:16 AM »

But, the movie is called Home Alone.
Smb. in Imdb board said the same about "Christmas Vacation" - it should be called "staycation".

About happy end, every kid /family film ends like that. It's got to. The old guy was funny until we found he's kind. Ditto bird lady but I liked her kindness & "defense" better than the old guy's.

You missed the question "Do you like Bondiana? Who's best JB?". Answer.

I actually don't recall the term "Staycation" being used until fairly recently.  And, it's generally accepted any extended time off from work and / or school is a Christmas Vacation.  So, the word doesn't really have to refer to a trip.  Plus, they had to keep the title somewhat in line with the first two movies of the franchise.

I've never been into James Bond to be honest.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #298 on: December 16, 2016, 11:56:38 AM »

Really? The Imdb thread that post referred to "staycation" is old. But you're right, vacation is time off in U.S. Maybe the poster was British? There they use the word "holidays".

Is there any movie that you converted your wife to & vice versa?

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #299 on: December 16, 2016, 12:15:49 PM »

I don't mean to derail your conversation but the "staycation" thing interested me. It seems that the word was coined in the early-to-mid 00s, and was popularized around the financial collapse in 07-08, as more and more people were "forced" to make their time off from work stay-at-home time. (That was the era I first heard the term, I think: around 2008.)

But it's such a near-obvious blend of words, maybe someone else did use the phrase as a joke just on an individual level? It seems plausible that a clever reviewer or commenter could have "invented" the word separately from the pop culture invention.

OK, sorry for the interruption: back to your discussion.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 ... 56   Go Up
Print
Jump to: