-->
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 06:23:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News: peteramescarlin.com
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  The Smiley Smile Message Board
|-+  Non Smiley Smile Stuff
| |-+  The Sandbox
| | |-+  What are you watching now?/Favourite Movie of the Moment
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 ... 56   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: What are you watching now?/Favourite Movie of the Moment  (Read 443498 times)
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #250 on: December 12, 2016, 07:03:09 AM »

I watched Pulp Fiction for the first time ever last night (yes, I realize I'm late to the game on this one).

Anyway, great stuff. Samuel L. Jackson is the best, and hearing Christopher Walken describe the watch is quite momentous.
Congratulations! Now you achieved wisdom. Tarantino is great director, his movies got clever phrases. If you filter the cursing, beneath lies sth. good. Fantastic OST to boot - except Dusty Springfield with "Son of a Preacher".

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #251 on: December 12, 2016, 07:14:36 AM »

KDS, this is where the movie chatter stopped, you should've replied to this last post I addressed

Regarding the character designs on The Simpsons and South Park.....I can't really speak for the creators, but they're cartoons. 

I know it's 20 years old, but I've never seen any of the Toy Story movies or shorts. 
Cartoons-not cartoons - what entered their brain even to depict typical mother in typical family with blue tall hair? If the cartoon created with idea to repeat after real people, don't create each of them bug-eyed as if everybody is twin. Ha! Lame.

Did you see "Two-Lane Blacktop" with Dennis Wilson's single role? Do you like "car" movies?

OK, you answered the 1st question. Now answer the 2nd.
So, KDS, would you answer the 2nd question? It's highlighted in bold. "Do you like car movies?" & if you do, list which you like.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
KDS
« Reply #252 on: December 12, 2016, 07:20:44 AM »

KDS, this is where the movie chatter stopped, you should've replied to this last post I addressed

Regarding the character designs on The Simpsons and South Park.....I can't really speak for the creators, but they're cartoons. 

I know it's 20 years old, but I've never seen any of the Toy Story movies or shorts. 
Cartoons-not cartoons - what entered their brain even to depict typical mother in typical family with blue tall hair? If the cartoon created with idea to repeat after real people, don't create each of them bug-eyed as if everybody is twin. Ha! Lame.

Did you see "Two-Lane Blacktop" with Dennis Wilson's single role? Do you like "car" movies?

So, KDS, would you answer the 2nd question? It's highlighted in bold. "Do you like car movies?" & if you do, list which you like.

Eh, not really to be honest.
NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."

View Profile
« Reply #253 on: December 12, 2016, 07:22:25 AM »

Did you ever see the Thelma Todd & Patsy Kelly shorts? They're very funny. Here is "Beauty & the Bus" Pt. 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8A4O2aiqfw
Pt. 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hp6DeZrOHVU

Was able to watch this. It was one of those funny screwball Hal Roach comedy shorts.
I wish short films (15-20 minutes) were made more often, and that they would play before the main feature.

The only thing tempering the funniness is that the film depicts "road rage." Down here we've had 2 high profile road rage incidents this year where the victims were local celebrities (former professional football players) who ended up shot to death. One of the trials ended last night.
Oh, for the good old days when arguments would end with one person giving the other a "knuckle sandwich" (punching a person in the jaw). Nowadays in this country the arguments end with gunfire.

"No White Flags." - Team Gleason

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon

"The best thing you can be 'like' in music is yourself." Dr. John
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #254 on: December 12, 2016, 07:27:13 AM »

Hm, interesting tendency - 3 people say they don't like car movies.

To anybody - KDS, Emily, Betty etc. coz I like comparing answers:  Is there any film you'd seen that you expected better but it's waste of time?

KDS
« Reply #255 on: December 12, 2016, 07:37:49 AM »

To anybody - KDS, Emily, Betty etc. coz I like comparing answers:  Is there any film you'd seen that you expected better but it's waste of time?

I could answer that by citing numerous sequels or remakes, but the one I that springs to mind is the early 70s horror movie The Wicker Man. 

I'd always heard great things about it, and about 15 years ago, I rented it.  Granted, I thought the ending was good, but the whole movie leading up to it was just bizarre.  For one, there's a musical number towards the beginning of the movie, that cut between a bar full of patrons and a naked blonde woman.  I have to say, after that bizarre, drunken / nude sing-a-long, it was hard to take the movie seriously. 

Scaroline No
« Reply #256 on: December 12, 2016, 08:16:48 AM »

Car movies are not really my thing, no. Funny cuz my dad was a mechanic who ran his own shop, haha. Maybe that's why.
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #257 on: December 13, 2016, 05:08:00 AM »

Tons. The English Patient, The Sheltering Sky, Gandhi and Amadeus (as mentioned above), anything featuring Daniel Day Lewis or Tom Hanks, or DiCaprio for that matter... just tons. Maybe I'm usually too optimistic going in.
KDS
« Reply #258 on: December 13, 2016, 05:11:52 AM »

Tons. The English Patient, The Sheltering Sky, Gandhi and Amadeus (as mentioned above), anything featuring Daniel Day Lewis or Tom Hanks, or DiCaprio for that matter... just tons. Maybe I'm usually too optimistic going in.

Anything featuring Tom Hanks?  Are you referring to his early comedies?  His 90s Oscar nominated stuff?  Or his 2000s output?  Or the whole thing? 
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #259 on: December 13, 2016, 05:22:17 AM »

Anything featuring Tom Hanks?  Are you referring to his early comedies?  His 90s Oscar nominated stuff?  Or his 2000s output?  Or the whole thing?  
Pretty much all of it. The comedies, I enjoyed, but I always had slightly higher expectations. And even in my memory they improve, then I watch them again and think, "meh, I enjoyed it but it wasn't as good as I remembered." It's an infinite Tom Hanks comedy loop.
The dramas, and other big-deal Hanks movies, I always give them a chance and they always suck and annoy me. Forrest Gump, I tried to walk out but they made me stay and watch until the end. It was a horror show.
I should add Tarantino to the I-always-give-him-a-chance-but-he-always-disappoints list.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2016, 05:23:02 AM by Emily » Logged
KDS
« Reply #260 on: December 13, 2016, 05:32:01 AM »

Anything featuring Tom Hanks?  Are you referring to his early comedies?  His 90s Oscar nominated stuff?  Or his 2000s output?  Or the whole thing?  
Pretty much all of it. The comedies, I enjoyed, but I always had slightly higher expectations. And even in my memory they improve, then I watch them again and think, "meh, I enjoyed it but it wasn't as good as I remembered." It's an infinite Tom Hanks comedy loop.
The dramas, and other big-deal Hanks movies, I always give them a chance and they always suck and annoy me. Forrest Gump, I tried to walk out but they made me stay and watch until the end. It was a horror show.
I should add Tarantino to the I-always-give-him-a-chance-but-he-always-disappoints list.

To each their own.  I'm a big Hanks fan, though I'd like to see him try his hand at comedy again.  That style of "clean comedy" doesn't really exist in 2016.

I'll agree with you with Tarantino.  I think he's very overrated.  Some hip style and music, brutal violence, cartoonish blood, plenty of bad language, and make sure you have some quotes that'll appear on t-shirts and Facebook memes for decades.  I thought Reservoir Dogs and Pulp Fiction were decent, but I don't think they are the great achievements in cinema they're often referred to as.
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #261 on: December 13, 2016, 05:34:11 AM »

To each their own.  I'm a big Hanks fan, though I'd like to see him try his hand at comedy again.  That style of "clean comedy" doesn't really exist in 2016.

I'll agree with you with Tarantino.  I think he's very overrated.  Some hip style and music, brutal violence, cartoonish blood, plenty of bad language, and make sure you have some quotes that'll appear on t-shirts and Facebook memes for decades.  I thought Reservoir Dogs and Pulp Fiction were decent, but I don't think they are the great achievements in cinema they're often referred to as.
You and I disagree on so many things but you took the precise words out of my mouth on Tarantino. Weird.
KDS
« Reply #262 on: December 13, 2016, 05:37:00 AM »

You and I disagree on so many things but you took the precise words out of my mouth on Tarantino. Weird.

Well, I figured you and I would find some common ground on something. 

Smiley
NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."

View Profile
« Reply #263 on: December 13, 2016, 04:33:54 PM »

I also don't like car movies.
I do like a "bike" movie, however - Breaking Away

Was unimpressed by The English Patient.
And as much as I love the music, I usually fall asleep about midway through Dr. Zhivago.

"No White Flags." - Team Gleason

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon

"The best thing you can be 'like' in music is yourself." Dr. John
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #264 on: December 13, 2016, 04:41:09 PM »

It is MUCH too long since I've seen Breaking Away. I'd forgotten all about it. It just jumped to the very top of my to-watch list. This weekend! Thank you!
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #265 on: December 13, 2016, 10:52:52 PM »

I could answer that by citing numerous sequels or remakes, but the one I that springs to mind is the early 70s horror movie The Wicker Man. 

I'd always heard great things about it, and about 15 years ago, I rented it.  Granted, I thought the ending was good, but the whole movie leading up to it was just bizarre.  For one, there's a musical number towards the beginning of the movie, that cut between a bar full of patrons and a naked blonde woman.  I have to say, after that bizarre, drunken / nude sing-a-long, it was hard to take the movie seriously. 
I too watch movie beginning to end even if didn't like it. Sometimes it can indeed be rewarded by good ending. But bad movie is bad movie.

Do you like the idea of old movies get the 3D treatment? In the local theatre there were banners standing of "Jaws" in 3D. It was the only time I was going to go to cinema. But the schedule didn't allow. I bet it was very cool! What say you?

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #266 on: December 13, 2016, 11:28:50 PM »

Forrest Gump, I tried to walk out but they made me stay and watch until the end. It was a horror show.
Cool, good to see I'm not alone. Smiley I sat thru it patiently waiting there'd be sth. interesting. Such boring film "Forrest gump". Like everybody & their brother likes it. Whenever I ask them what for they like it, they just say stupidly, "But everybody likes it, thousand people can't be wrong!". Ha!
Define "good film" - what should there be for you to like it?

I like avant garde/ independent films. I don't like violence if it doesn't add to the film. I like good action from time to time. Not fan of bad language but "Pulp Fiction" is too good film (except boring Bruce Willis).
I disagree about the quotes; every blockbuster gets quoted by fans, it isn't Tarantino who designs these T-shirts etc. It isn't fair reason to dislike the film. If movie gets quoted, that says that the lines were catchy, cool, adroit, meaningful etc. It isn't up to directors to pick the quotes to sell. Why care?

KDS
« Reply #267 on: December 14, 2016, 05:11:13 AM »

I too watch movie beginning to end even if didn't like it. Sometimes it can indeed be rewarded by good ending. But bad movie is bad movie.

Do you like the idea of old movies get the 3D treatment? In the local theatre there were banners standing of "Jaws" in 3D. It was the only time I was going to go to cinema. But the schedule didn't allow. I bet it was very cool! What say you?

I'm not at all a fan of 3D.  3D is a gimmick.  It always has been.  It seems to pop up every time theater revenues go down.  Frankly, I'm surprised the current 3D trend has been going as long as it has. 

I've seen a couple movies in 3D, and I had it a little distracting.  If there's a movie in theaters that I really want to see, I'll look for a 2D showing.
KDS
« Reply #268 on: December 14, 2016, 05:13:05 AM »

Forrest Gump, I tried to walk out but they made me stay and watch until the end. It was a horror show.
Cool, good to see I'm not alone. Smiley I sat thru it patiently waiting there'd be sth. interesting. Such boring film "Forrest gump". Like everybody & their brother likes it. Whenever I ask them what for they like it, they just say stupidly, "But everybody likes it, thousand people can't be wrong!". Ha!
Define "good film" - what should there be for you to like it?

I like avant garde/ independent films. I don't like violence if it doesn't add to the film. I like good action from time to time. Not fan of bad language but "Pulp Fiction" is too good film (except boring Bruce Willis).
I disagree about the quotes; every blockbuster gets quoted by fans, it isn't Tarantino who designs these T-shirts etc. It isn't fair reason to dislike the film. If movie gets quoted, that says that the lines were catchy, cool, adroit, meaningful etc. It isn't up to directors to pick the quotes to sell. Why care?

I think you misunderstood my post a bit.  I'm not criticizing the shirts per se.  But, it just seems like Taratino purposely writes dialog with the intention of having at least three or four "iconic" lines.  It just doesn't seem natural to me. 
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #269 on: December 14, 2016, 03:30:39 PM »

Tarantino's dialogue is absolutely not natural, nor is it supposed to be: the guy is as stylized as it gets! I remember thinking during Pulp Fiction--the first and only Tarantino movie I liked--that this was the whole trick: writing dialogue that was witty, clever, brilliant, memorable ... and entirely unnatural. Dialogue written by a film lover for film lovers, wholly conscious of the unrealism of the situation. You could almost compare it to Van Dyke Parks in a pop music idiom: you can do it, but it's disconcerting. However, that's more or less the only thing I've liked about his movies, because unnatural or not, at least the dialogue does have its moments. Otherwise they're just totally not for me.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #270 on: December 14, 2016, 09:09:38 PM »

I'm not at all a fan of 3D.  3D is a gimmick.  It always has been.  It seems to pop up every time theater revenues go down.  Frankly, I'm surprised the current 3D trend has been going as long as it has. 

I've seen a couple movies in 3D, and I had it a little distracting.  If there's a movie in theaters that I really want to see, I'll look for a 2D showing.
Tastes differ - gimmick or not, it works. It tricks the vision that you might be with sharks in danger. It adds adrenaline. I like it. 3D I used to go to 5D - the difference from 3D is that there's special effects, water splashing, rats attacking you etc. A bit cool.

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #271 on: December 14, 2016, 09:20:27 PM »

I think you misunderstood my post a bit.  I'm not criticizing the shirts per se.  But, it just seems like Taratino purposely writes dialog with the intention of having at least three or four "iconic" lines.  It just doesn't seem natural to me. 
& I said that every blockbuster, as in popular movie with cast of famous actors or that which has cult following etc. generates catchphrases & iconic lines. Say, "Big Lebowski" (I didn't see it but some posters quoted that film), "Godfather", "Caddyshack". Even if writers intended to get few iconic lines in the script, it's people who use them in speech, the viewers. Therefore, to single out Tarantino movies is not correct.

KDS
« Reply #272 on: December 15, 2016, 04:58:08 AM »

& I said that every blockbuster, as in popular movie with cast of famous actors or that which has cult following etc. generates catchphrases & iconic lines. Say, "Big Lebowski" (I didn't see it but some posters quoted that film), "Godfather", "Caddyshack". Even if writers intended to get few iconic lines in the script, it's people who use them in speech, the viewers. Therefore, to single out Tarantino movies is not correct.

Agree to disagree.  In my opinion though, the dialog and iconic lines in other movies come more organically.
KDS
« Reply #273 on: December 15, 2016, 05:00:39 AM »

Tastes differ - gimmick or not, it works. It tricks the vision that you might be with sharks in danger. It adds adrenaline. I like it. 3D I used to go to 5D - the difference from 3D is that there's special effects, water splashing, rats attacking you etc. A bit cool.

Right.  Obviously there's a market for 3D, as they've been putting big releases in 3D for the last, almost ten years or so. 

I can see how some would enjoy it.  (There's one scene with two female swimmers from the Piranha remake that a lotta guys liked in 3D).  But, the few times I've seen 3D movies, it actually takes me out of the story a bit.  It's kind of a moot point for me though as I very rarely go to the movies anymore. 
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #274 on: December 15, 2016, 05:17:45 AM »

Agree to disagree.  In my opinion though, the dialog and iconic lines in other movies come more organically.
Agreed. There's a distinct difference between trying to be something and being something.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 ... 56   Go Up
Print
Jump to: