-->
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:56:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News: Endless Summer Quarterly
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  The Smiley Smile Message Board
|-+  Non Smiley Smile Stuff
| |-+  The Sandbox
| | |-+  What are you watching now?/Favourite Movie of the Moment
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 ... 56   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: What are you watching now?/Favourite Movie of the Moment  (Read 443340 times)
KDS
« Reply #225 on: December 09, 2016, 05:46:26 AM »

Coal Miner's Daughter: best biopic ever.
I did see it & like too. Sissy Spacek fan. I liked the mother figure, that actress in fact plays acoustic guitar & sings folk. There's Youtube video. There's video as well with Sissy & the Band. She sang with "Loretta" accent. Not to forget Patsy Cline role.

Can't say I've ever seen Summer Dreams. 

Films about everyday people, but inspired by real events?  I guess Saving Private Ryan comes to mind.  Great movie.  Same with The Patriot.
Must see if you're BBs fan.

Favorite cartoons? Series & feature length.

Cartoons?  Well, I could create a list on just Christmas cartoons.

My all time favorite cartoon (or show of any kind) is The Simpsons. 

Then, there's Looney Tunes (classic, not that recent show that was on five years ago), The Chipmunks (classic, not the CGI movies), South Park, King of the Hill, Family Guy, The Critic, Metalocalypse, etc.

Feature films.  I really liked the Shrek franchise. 
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #226 on: December 09, 2016, 06:22:12 AM »

Then, there's Looney Tunes (classic, not that recent show that was on five years ago), The Chipmunks (classic, not the CGI movies), South Park, King of the Hill, Family Guy, The Critic, Metalocalypse, etc.

Everybody seems to like The Simpsons. Can you say why they created them bug-eyed & the mother has blue tall hair? Isn't the idea to display the typical American family?

I like "Looney Tunes"/ "Merrie Melodies". "Tom & Jerry" is favorite classic, ditto "Rocky & Bullwinkle". "Chipmunks" movie, not bad.

"South Park", boring last I checked. Besides, again, super-ugly characters.

Didn't care about "Shrek". "Toy Story" is favorite feature. Did you see it?

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
KDS
« Reply #227 on: December 09, 2016, 06:46:08 AM »

Everybody seems to like The Simpsons. Can you say why they created them bug-eyed & the mother has blue tall hair? Isn't the idea to display the typical American family?

I like "Looney Tunes"/ "Merrie Melodies". "Tom & Jerry" is favorite classic, ditto "Rocky & Bullwinkle". "Chipmunks" movie, not bad.

"South Park", boring last I checked. Besides, again, super-ugly characters.

Didn't care about "Shrek". "Toy Story" is favorite feature. Did you see it?

Regarding the character designs on The Simpsons and South Park.....I can't really speak for the creators, but they're cartoons. 

I know it's 20 years old, but I've never seen any of the Toy Story movies or shorts. 
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #228 on: December 09, 2016, 12:41:16 PM »

Yeah - Capote, Malcolm X, The Last Emperor. Ummm. There have got to be more. I didn't like Amadeus or Gandhi as much as most people seem to.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #229 on: December 10, 2016, 02:09:10 AM »

Regarding the character designs on The Simpsons and South Park.....I can't really speak for the creators, but they're cartoons. 

I know it's 20 years old, but I've never seen any of the Toy Story movies or shorts. 
Cartoons-not cartoons - what entered their brain even to depict typical mother in typical family with blue tall hair? If the cartoon created with idea to repeat after real people, don't create each of them bug-eyed as if everybody is twin. Ha! Lame.

Did you see "Two-Lane Blacktop" with Dennis Wilson's single role? Do you like "car" movies?

Yeah - Capote, Malcolm X, The Last Emperor. Ummm. There have got to be more. I didn't like Amadeus or Gandhi as much as most people seem to.
Thanks to answer. What's your fave cartoons? & did you see any car-type movies/ "Two-Lane Blacktop" being BBs fan?

& again ask question, it got backpage, john k might've missed it -  did you see "Battleship Potemkin"? It's regarded Eisenstein's masterwork.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #230 on: December 10, 2016, 06:28:23 AM »

Thanks to answer. What's your fave cartoons? & did you see any car-type movies/ "Two-Lane Blacktop" being BBs fan?

& again ask question, it got backpage, john k might've missed it -  did you see "Battleship Potemkin"? It's regarded Eisenstein's masterwork.
Does Coraline count as a cartoon?
I don't gravitate to either war movies or silent movies - I've seen excellent examples of both, but a lot of boring of both, so I don't bother without specific recommendations - so I haven't watched Battleship Potemkin. But I'll add it to the list.
Same with car movies. I tend to be bored. I liked Thelma and Louise.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #231 on: December 10, 2016, 06:42:11 AM »

I like "Coraline" too, both cartoon & book.

The other question was to john k, hence the gap & said "john k might've missed it".

So did you see "Two Lane Blacktop"? Since you're BBs fan etc.? That was the question.

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #232 on: December 10, 2016, 12:17:01 PM »

I love silent movies. I have probably a few hundred in my collection.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #233 on: December 10, 2016, 03:23:31 PM »

Yes, I did miss it. And no, I didn't see it (yet). I did see part one of Ivan the Terrible donkey's years ago, unfortunately with overdubbed English dialogue! But Nevsky is a real obsession----not sure why... Maybe it's the Good vs. Evil thing. And it's spectacular beyond belief. And of course there's the extraordinary music...

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."

View Profile
« Reply #234 on: December 10, 2016, 05:16:34 PM »

Let me chime in while waiting the last few minutes that my casserole is in the oven.

Love silent movies. Was introduced to them while at University of North Carolina-Chapel Hill in the early 80s, They had a year long series showing classics featuring Chaplin, Keaton, Lloyd, and Lillian Gish.

My favorite silents: Chaplin's The Immigrant, Easy Street, Shoulder Arms, The Kid, The Gold Rush, City Lights.
Keaton - The General, Sherlock Jr.
Lloyd- The Freshman, Safety Last.

Saw Battleship Potemkin as a kid. Only remember one scene - guys looking into a bowl of soup and seeing some extra protein that shouldn't have been there, ewww.
It came on TV recently and I taped it. Plan to watch it when I don't have an upset stomach. :-)

Cartoons - am still a fan of Rocky and Bullwinkle. Also the Chuck Jones cartoons such as The Rabbit of Seville, Rabbit Seasoning, One Froggy Evening, and Feed the Kitty (only cartoon that made me cry)

Biopics: Coal Miner's Daughter; Pride of the Yankees

Okay got to tend to the casserole, and watch some old episodes of The Great British Baking Show (so much better than those horrid Gordon Ramsay programs)

"No White Flags." - Team Gleason

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon

"The best thing you can be 'like' in music is yourself." Dr. John
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #235 on: December 10, 2016, 08:26:13 PM »

I love The Rabbit of Seville.
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #236 on: December 11, 2016, 09:38:05 AM »

The other question was to john k, hence the gap & said "john k might've missed it".

So did you see "Two Lane Blacktop"? Since you're BBs fan etc.? That was the question.
It wasn't THE question, it was A question, among three. No, I haven't seen it. I have no anticipation that I'd enjoy it.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #237 on: December 11, 2016, 09:54:39 AM »

It was the question you missed to answer. A/the is beside the point. I was curious if you'd seen it & felt weird when you didn't answer such simple question 1st time around (like I do, usually, as in feel weird when people don't answer simple questions with yes/no answer right away).

OK, let's start dialog - Would you say that today's movies don't really live up to "golden era" of movies? What's the latest recent movie you checked?
« Last Edit: December 20, 2016, 07:31:54 PM by RangeRoverA1 » Logged

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #238 on: December 11, 2016, 10:49:56 AM »

Let me chime in while waiting the last few minutes that my casserole is in the oven.

Love silent movies. Was introduced to them while at University of North Carolina-Chapel Hill in the early 80s, They had a year long series showing classics featuring Chaplin, Keaton, Lloyd, and Lillian Gish.

My favorite silents: Chaplin's The Immigrant, Easy Street, Shoulder Arms, The Kid, The Gold Rush, City Lights.
Keaton - The General, Sherlock Jr.
Lloyd- The Freshman, Safety Last.

Saw Battleship Potemkin as a kid. Only remember one scene - guys looking into a bowl of soup and seeing some extra protein that shouldn't have been there, ewww.
It came on TV recently and I taped it. Plan to watch it when I don't have an upset stomach. :-)

Cartoons - am still a fan of Rocky and Bullwinkle. Also the Chuck Jones cartoons such as The Rabbit of Seville, Rabbit Seasoning, One Froggy Evening, and Feed the Kitty (only cartoon that made me cry)

Biopics: Coal Miner's Daughter; Pride of the Yankees

Okay got to tend to the casserole, and watch some old episodes of The Great British Baking Show (so much better than those horrid Gordon Ramsay programs)
I'd like that many chime in this splendid thread. Thanks for writing your list down, Betty!

I checked some of the titles - can you say where Chaplin is eating his shoes & pretending shoelace is macaroni? It was popular during USSR, for some reason.

I'm glad that we both like "Rocky and Bullwinkle" & Lillian Gish.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2016, 07:28:52 PM by RangeRoverA1 » Logged

NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #239 on: December 11, 2016, 12:22:48 PM »

I checked some of the titles - can you say where Chaplin is eating his shoes & pretending shoelace is macaroni? It was popular during USSR, for some reason.

Did you ever see the Thelma Todd & Patsy Kelly shorts? They're very funny. Here is "Beauty & the Bus" Pt. 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8A4O2aiqfw
Pt. 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hp6DeZrOHVU

The movie that Chaplin eats his shoe and shoelaces is The Gold Rush. They were made of licorice, and since Chaplin, like our Brian, had to do many takes, Chaplin and the other guy became ill.
There are many versions of the movie, including one where Chaplin gives the narration (and the ending is different). The reason for so many versions is that for some reason Chaplin failed to renew the copyright so it's now in Public Domain.
The better versions have orchestral accompaniment which includes a song Chaplin composed for the leading lady - it's now known as "Georgia"

Haven't seen Thelma Todd or Patsy Kelly. Will watch out for them on our TCM network, which often shows silent films late at night.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2016, 02:01:44 PM by NOLA BB Fan » Logged

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon

NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #240 on: December 11, 2016, 12:36:27 PM »

This is the "roll dance" from The Gold Rush. At the end you can hear the "Georgia" theme.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4DLdMa98JdM

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #241 on: December 11, 2016, 12:45:14 PM »

I see. I know the other Chaplin song, "Smile". Was it used in any of his movies?

Well now it's good time to get acquainted with Thelma Todd & Patsy Kelly. They made 21 funny shorts for Hal Roach in the 1930s until murder of Thelma. It was Patsy who played the friend of the evil old lady in "Rosemary's Baby". Later she won Tony Award in a musical "No, No, Nanette".
It's not silent movies. Check the links I posted & tell me what you think of it. Patsy was dubbed - rightly so - Queen of Wisecracks.

NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #242 on: December 11, 2016, 12:49:00 PM »

Smile was in the movie "Modern Times"

And a later Chaplin film, "Limelight" has a theme song that became quite popular

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #243 on: December 11, 2016, 02:18:55 PM »

Michelle Pfeiffer is the best Catwoman! She just is. Deal with it. Everybody else before & after is ugly. Smiley
« Last Edit: December 20, 2016, 07:26:32 PM by RangeRoverA1 » Logged

undercover-m
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #244 on: December 11, 2016, 03:22:59 PM »

I watched Pulp Fiction for the first time ever last night (yes, I realize I'm late to the game on this one).

Anyway, great stuff. Samuel L. Jackson is the best, and hearing Christopher Walken describe the watch is quite momentous.

"We are pushed to the wall as the heap fills the room to its limits. The window breaks. The house bursts. A heartbreakingly fine Scotch plaid passes before our eyes. Pinstripes carry us into Manhasset Bay."
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #245 on: December 11, 2016, 09:44:51 PM »

OK, let's start dialog - Would you say that today's movies don't really live up to "golden era" of movies? What's the latest recent movie you checked?
I think the film industry currently suffers because TV/streaming is doing so well. A lot of talent and creativity is focused there, leaving film a little wanting. That's not to say there aren't excellent movies being made, but I think it's thinner than it's been in the past.
I recently saw Manchester by the Sea. It was fine. Predictable, but fine.
KDS
« Reply #246 on: December 12, 2016, 05:38:51 AM »

It was the question you missed to answer. A/the is beside the point. I was curious if you'd seen it & felt weird when you didn't answer such simple question 1st time around (like I do, usually, as in feel weird when people don't answer simple questions that require yes/no answer from the get-go).

One of the problems with today's movies is the lack of original ideas.  Seems like most big releases are remakes, reboots, sequels, spin offs, or comic book movies. 

A friend and I were talking over the weekend about how modern technology would ruin the premise of many movies.  ie. Home Alone.  With smart phones, that movie would be over in ten minutes if they tried to make it in 2016
KDS
« Reply #247 on: December 12, 2016, 06:10:33 AM »

I'm never seen Two Lane Blacktop.  To be 100% honest, it's not really on my cinematic bucket list. 
Scaroline No
« Reply #248 on: December 12, 2016, 06:23:03 AM »

I'm never seen Two Lane Blacktop.  To be 100% honest, it's not really on my cinematic bucket list. 

Since this came up, I decided to check it out over the weekend. Car racing movies don't really do it for me as a genre, but I was curious about Dennis' acting ability. I gotta say, the movie wasn't at all what I expected. Kinda arty. Some holes in the story, but I thought it was well shot. I loved the tense relationship between The Driver (James Taylor)  and The Mechanic (Dennis), and the enigmatic ending was so unexpected and cool. Definitely more of an art film than a typical car/racing flick.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #249 on: December 12, 2016, 06:56:38 AM »

KDS, this is where the movie chatter stopped, you should've replied to this last post I addressed

Cartoons-not cartoons - what entered their brain even to depict typical mother in typical family with blue tall hair? If the cartoon created with idea to repeat after real people, don't create each of them bug-eyed as if everybody is twin. Ha! Lame.

Did you see "Two-Lane Blacktop" with Dennis Wilson's single role? Do you like "car" movies?

OK, you answered the 1st question. Now answer the 2nd.

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 ... 56   Go Up
Print
Jump to: