-->
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:16:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News: Carnival Of Sound
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  The Smiley Smile Message Board
|-+  Non Smiley Smile Stuff
| |-+  The Sandbox
| | |-+  What are you watching now?/Favourite Movie of the Moment
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 ... 56   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: What are you watching now?/Favourite Movie of the Moment  (Read 443152 times)
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #200 on: December 06, 2016, 06:00:45 AM »

For making ofs, I'd have to go with Jaws.  Learning about how the various difficulties actually made Jaws a better movie was pretty neat.  Although, lately, I'm not as in to behind the scenes stuff like I used to be. 

Jurassic Park set a new standard for dinosaur movies, but it didn't come out until I was 13.  So, I fell in love with B movies like the ones I mentioned Planet of Dinosaurs and The Last Dinosaur, as well as Godzilla movies.
Now that you mentioned "Godzilla", what's the other monster movies you'd seen?

To me, definitive "Planet of the Apes" is 1968 with Roddy McDowall. I liked "The Abominable Snowman" (1957) too.

Before we talked about the U.S. films. What's your favorite British feature? Broadly speaking.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
KDS
« Reply #201 on: December 06, 2016, 06:08:29 AM »

For making ofs, I'd have to go with Jaws.  Learning about how the various difficulties actually made Jaws a better movie was pretty neat.  Although, lately, I'm not as in to behind the scenes stuff like I used to be. 

Jurassic Park set a new standard for dinosaur movies, but it didn't come out until I was 13.  So, I fell in love with B movies like the ones I mentioned Planet of Dinosaurs and The Last Dinosaur, as well as Godzilla movies.
Now that you mentioned "Godzilla", what's the other monster movies you'd seen?

To me, definitive "Planet of the Apes" is 1968 with Roddy McDowall. I liked "The Abominable Snowman" (1957) too.

Before we talked about the U.S. films. What's your favorite British feature? Broadly speaking.

Other than all of the Godzilla movies (both US and Japanese), I've seen Gorgo, Cloverfield, and Rodan among others. 

I guess my favorite British movie would be Monty Python's And Now for Something Completely Different.  I know they're just filmed Flying Circus sketches, but I love it.  Holy Grail is great too.  Also, the Simon Pegg / Nick Frost trilogy - Shaun of the Dead, Hot Fuzz, and The World's End. 
Ovi
Smiley Smile Associate

They know I'm rock 'n' roll through and through.

View Profile
« Reply #202 on: December 06, 2016, 03:07:08 PM »

Lately:

The King of Comedy (Scorsese)
After Hours (Scorsese)
Slacker (Linklater)
Everybody Wants Some!! (Linklater)
Cafe Society (Allen)
American Graffiti (Lucas)
The Princess Bride (Reiner)
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #203 on: December 06, 2016, 03:13:28 PM »

One of my half-dozen favorite movies of all time. I watch it every few years even now, despite having watched it probably at least 35-50 times total in my life (most of those times in its first 5-7 years after release).

Speaking of my favorites, I just introduced my gf to Rushmore, which she'd never seen. It's totally my style of humor (which is totally not hers), but she liked it OK. And I tried my best not to spout out all the lines along with the movie...I'm an extremely annoying human being. I know this.

I've also been re-re-re-re-re-watching Arrested Development here and there, because when there's not much else to do, there's always re-re-re-re-re-watching Arrested Development, The Office (UK), Freaks & Geeks, and a small handful of other gems.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #204 on: December 06, 2016, 03:31:41 PM »

I watched the Emma Thompson Sense and Sensibility again last weekend, after I think a decade or so. Same reaction: I love Emma Thompson and I love Jane Austen and the book S&S and I love E Thompson's work in the film, the screenplay seems fine, I have no conscious criticism with the direction or the production, but it just doesn't work for me somehow.
I think I don't feel that any of the men characters have any appeal and Kate Winslet makes Marianne rather annoying and I guess Emma Thompson alone just isn't enough - so casting is my issue.

I bounce around a lot with my top movies. We discussed several in the 70s movie thread, but All About Eve is pretty consistently my favorite. 
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #205 on: December 06, 2016, 03:38:32 PM »

I bounce around a lot with my top movies. 

I very rarely do, to my own detriment. (I am boring and bored.) Since generally shedding the De Niro-type gangster movies I loved through high school and college, my list has rarely changed. I would like to like more ... but I don't.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #206 on: December 06, 2016, 07:20:29 PM »

Other than all of the Godzilla movies (both US and Japanese), I've seen Gorgo, Cloverfield, and Rodan among others. 

I guess my favorite British movie would be Monty Python's And Now for Something Completely Different.  I know they're just filmed Flying Circus sketches, but I love it.  Holy Grail is great too.  Also, the Simon Pegg / Nick Frost trilogy - Shaun of the Dead, Hot Fuzz, and The World's End. 
Cool, new titles to check at Sunday.

I got Monty Python's Flying Circus in DVD. A bit funny. Is there film you like to which the ending you felt was different than you imagined? Different in bad way if everything BUT ending was good. Then different in good way when you thought the film would end this way but it ended that way which to you was unusual, brilliant idea to end it like that etc. Discuss.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
Ovi
Smiley Smile Associate

They know I'm rock 'n' roll through and through.

View Profile
« Reply #207 on: December 07, 2016, 02:22:13 AM »

One of my half-dozen favorite movies of all time. I watch it every few years even now, despite having watched it probably at least 35-50 times total in my life (most of those times in its first 5-7 years after release).

First time for me. Funny how a review said that the movie was meh because it couldn't decide between being a fairy-tale for children or an adult satire. I thought that was exactly what made it great! Parodying a children's movie would be too easy of a target - instead, I think this is the type of movie you can watch both as a kid because it's a nice, well-told, well-acted story, and then catch up with all the humor and ironic detachment as an adult.

I've also been re-re-re-re-re-watching Arrested Development here and there, because when there's not much else to do, there's always re-re-re-re-re-watching Arrested Development, The Office (UK), Freaks & Geeks, and a small handful of other gems.

Now you're talking. Love Freaks and Geeks, love Arrested Development and think The Office may just be the best TV Show ever. Gervais and Merchant are two of my idols, I love nearly everything they've done, together or solo. "Do you not know who Eric Hitchmo is ?!"
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #208 on: December 07, 2016, 05:08:27 AM »

I've got big - no, HUGE - DVD collection of horrors. Bought in different years, about 10-20 a year. Some of them I didn't get to, I usually select random movie in the disc with, say, 12 movies.
Well today watched "Signal" (2007), what to me at 1st seemed to be C-level, low budget horror with banal script. Little did I know that it's cult independent movie that was shown at Sundance Film Festival. & the version they showed there had different opening song - "Leave" by Heavens (as per Imdb board).
They might've changed it - main character Mya listened to "Atmosphere" by Joy Division. I didn't like it, a bit too depressive to my taste.
Anyway, this film is divided into 3 Transmissions to show different sides of the same story by the main characters.
It's what the title says - every device - radio, cellphone, TV - was effected by the noises/ interferences/ what-it's-called. It brought violence to people's brains giving signal to kill anybody you meet in the streets & in the buildings.
Starting with neighbors, f.ex.? & it gave identity illusion that they're not who they think they are, would see total stranger & think it's their friend - like that.
In short, I ended up liking it, despite being sure that I wouldn't (had bad luck with new millennium horrors, didn't like any with few exceptions).
I'd say Transmission 2 is my favorite - it had dark jokes & nice new characters during it; dialogs, one-liners were entertaining. If Jim Jarmusch made horror, he'd do it like that.
That said, it isn't "wow, this is cool! where was this gem all this time?" type of film. I like it but not to greatest degree.

KDS
« Reply #209 on: December 07, 2016, 05:17:49 AM »

Cool, new titles to check at Sunday.

I got Monty Python's Flying Circus in DVD. A bit funny. Is there film you like to which the ending you felt was different than you imagined? Different in bad way if everything BUT ending was good. Then different in good way when you thought the film would end this way but it ended that way which to you was unusual, brilliant idea to end it like that etc. Discuss.

Dead Silence has a terrific ending.  But I won't give it away.

Same with The Sixth Sense.  The only bad thing about the ending of The Sixth Sense was that director M. Night Shymalan (sp?) felt compelled to end all of his movies with a twist ending, and neither was as successful.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #210 on: December 07, 2016, 05:34:50 AM »

I like Shyamalan's "Signs". If the film is good but not the ending do you change to thinking it's bad?

Some folks say that too much CGI brings the film down. Agree/disagree?

KDS
« Reply #211 on: December 07, 2016, 05:42:17 AM »

I like Shyamalan's "Signs". If the film is good but not the ending do you change to thinking it's bad?

Some folks say that too much CGI brings the film down. Agree/disagree?

I wasn't crazy about the ending of Signs, but I still like the movie. 

I do think too much CGI can hinder a film, especially if not done well.  For example, Van Helsing just looked like a CGI mess.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #212 on: December 07, 2016, 06:21:43 AM »

OK, got it.

Positive. That said, CGI creatures in "Langoliers" fit description in the book.

Now biopics - what did you like?

KDS
« Reply #213 on: December 07, 2016, 06:26:05 AM »

OK, got it.

Positive. That said, CGI creatures in "Langoliers" fit description in the book.

Now biopics - what did you like?

To be honest, I haven't seen many new biopics.  Love and Mercy comes to mind.  I really liked that. 

I guess it's new-ish.  I liked the Johnny Cash biopic from 2005, Walk the Line. 

There's one on Freddie Mercury that's been talked about for probably over a decade now.  But, it took Love and Mercy almost 30 years to finally see the light of day.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #214 on: December 07, 2016, 06:35:48 AM »

Ha! I said "now", not "new" [biopics]. Which old biopics you liked, then? Any famous figure, not just musicians.

Scaroline No
« Reply #215 on: December 07, 2016, 06:48:16 AM »

This is not a biopic about one person specifically, but on the weekend I watched a really great movie based on the true story of an Australian aboriginal motown girl singing group in the 60's called The Sapphires. Was cruising Netflix titles and saw that it starred Chris O'Dowd so that's what drew me in. The story of these women is both sad and uplifting. And the movie was made by the son of one of the girls in the group, which is also awesome.
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #216 on: December 07, 2016, 07:37:28 AM »

I find contemporary biopics to be mostly terrible. The most recent one that I thought was fantastic, however, was I'm Not There, the biopic about Bob Dylan.

Apart from that, I think that Raging Bull, Ed Wood, Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, and American Splendour are all really excellent biopics that come to mind.
KDS
« Reply #217 on: December 07, 2016, 07:51:12 AM »

Ha! I said "now", not "new" [biopics]. Which old biopics you liked, then? Any famous figure, not just musicians.

Ah.  Even though it was inaccurate, and the surviving members washed their hands of it (after the checks cleared), I did like The Doors by Oliver Stone. 

The Babe (1992) with John Goodman was pretty good. 

Pride of the Yankees with Gary Cooper is quite good. 

Not really a biopic, but the movie 61*, told the story of Roger Maris's 1961 season, and it's very good. 

Cobb with Tommy Lee Jones isn't a traditional biopic, but it's really good.  And it stars the great Robert Wuhl. 

And, believe it or not, the made for TV Beach Boys movie, American Family, is, IMO, better than it's reputation, particularly the first half of the movie.  I will agree that it kinda goes off the rails in the post Pet Sounds stuff. 
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #218 on: December 08, 2016, 02:20:13 AM »

At least, I'd like to watch it. (Truth of the matter is that it's developing into an unhealthy obsession.)

I'm getting it for Christmas. I should have got it for Sinterklaas (see link) but it got lost in the shuffle. Damn.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sinterklaas   

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #219 on: December 09, 2016, 04:56:01 AM »

Ah.  Even though it was inaccurate, and the surviving members washed their hands of it (after the checks cleared), I did like The Doors by Oliver Stone. 

Not really a biopic, but the movie 61*, told the story of Roger Maris's 1961 season, and it's very good. 

Cobb with Tommy Lee Jones isn't a traditional biopic, but it's really good.  And it stars the great Robert Wuhl. 

And, believe it or not, the made for TV Beach Boys movie, American Family, is, IMO, better than it's reputation, particularly the first half of the movie.  I will agree that it kinda goes off the rails in the post Pet Sounds stuff. 
Thanks for the titles, didn't see any of these before.

If we talk the cast, not the film, I like the "Summer Dreams" Brian, Murry etc. AF was kinda too goofy.

We talked about famous figures - now, what's your favorite films about everyday people but not written by screenwriter/the fictional book basis but inspired by real events?

2john k: did you see "Battleship Potemkin"? It's regarded Eisenstein's masterwork.

Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #220 on: December 09, 2016, 04:59:40 AM »

Coal Miner's Daughter: best biopic ever. Love & Mercy right up there.
KDS
« Reply #221 on: December 09, 2016, 05:15:40 AM »

Thanks for the titles, didn't see any of these before.

If we talk the cast, not the film, I like the "Summer Dreams" Brian, Murry etc. AF was kinda too goofy.

We talked about famous figures - now, what's your favorite films about everyday people but not written by screenwriter/the fictional book basis but inspired by real events?

2john k: did you see "Battleship Potemkin"? It's regarded Eisenstein's masterwork.

Can't say I've ever seen Summer Dreams. 

Films about everyday people, but inspired by real events?  I guess Saving Private Ryan comes to mind.  Great movie.  Same with The Patriot.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #222 on: December 09, 2016, 05:28:04 AM »

Coal Miner's Daughter: best biopic ever.
I did see it & like too. Sissy Spacek fan. I liked the mother figure, that actress in fact plays acoustic guitar & sings folk. There's Youtube video. There's video as well with Sissy & the Band. She sang with "Loretta" accent. Not to forget Patsy Cline role.

Can't say I've ever seen Summer Dreams. 

Films about everyday people, but inspired by real events?  I guess Saving Private Ryan comes to mind.  Great movie.  Same with The Patriot.
Must see if you're BBs fan.

Favorite cartoons? Series & feature length.

Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #223 on: December 09, 2016, 05:34:05 AM »

Yup. And Levon Helm from The Band plays her father.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #224 on: December 09, 2016, 05:36:34 AM »

I know. You don't think I'd mention The Band at random? My 1st draft was "Sissy (daughter) & the Band (Levon Helm father)".

Is there non-musical biopic you like?
« Last Edit: December 09, 2016, 05:41:21 AM by RangeRoverA1 » Logged

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 ... 56   Go Up
Print
Jump to: