-->
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:10:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News: Bellagio 10452
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  The Smiley Smile Message Board
|-+  Non Smiley Smile Stuff
| |-+  The Sandbox
| | |-+  What are you watching now?/Favourite Movie of the Moment
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 ... 56   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: What are you watching now?/Favourite Movie of the Moment  (Read 443361 times)
Scaroline No
« Reply #175 on: December 02, 2016, 11:59:47 AM »

I mostly feel the same but then I loved him in St. Vincent.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #176 on: December 02, 2016, 01:12:19 PM »

I urge everybody here to watch The Sessions, with Helen Hunt. That movie moved me in ways I can't even explain. As a handicapped person, I have always wanted a "mainstream" Hollywood movie for "us"(disabled people). The subject matter of the movie is of great importance to me as well. I'm glad there is finally a movie that brings this particular issue to the public.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Scaroline No
« Reply #177 on: December 02, 2016, 04:25:00 PM »

The Sessions was a fantastic film.
NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."

View Profile
« Reply #178 on: December 02, 2016, 06:44:22 PM »

This concerns movie remakes.
As I posted earlier, one of the TV networks showed numerous Hitchcock movies a few days ago. One of those was The Man Who Knew Too Much. What was screened was the original 1930s version which I hadn't seen before - I had seen the 1950s version ( which featured the song Que Sera Sera).

Very interesting difference in plot between the two movies. In the earlier movie, the woman lead played a vital role at the end, doing something that I certainly couldn't see Doris Day doing!
Am wondering if it indicates the different ways women were perceived in the 30s as opposed to the 50s.
This had been pointed out in an article about the Nancy Drew books which became popular back in the 30s. A lot of the books were changed in the 50s. For example, in one of the books the car Nancy is in gets a flat tire. She changes the tire. In the updated version the women wait for a man to do the work.

I'm not a radical but thought it interesting. I highly recommend the early version if you haven't seen it yet. And it features Peter Lorre who's wonderfully evil as usual.

"No White Flags." - Team Gleason

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon

"The best thing you can be 'like' in music is yourself." Dr. John
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #179 on: December 02, 2016, 07:02:02 PM »

I suppose the 1985 Christmas Special I mentioned could be rare.

As is the 1987 Garfield Christmas special, which hasn't appeared on TV, to my knowledge, in at least ten years. 

Not rare, but the 1988 Bill Murray comedy Scrooged, is extremely underrated.  I think it kinda gets lost in the shuffle since it was released the same decade as A Christmas Story (1983) and Christmas Vacation (1989), and close to Home Alone (1990).  But, it's a great modern version of A Christmas Carol, and one of Bill Murray's best performances IMO. 

Speaking of a Christmas Carol, to me, the 1951 British version, starring Allistar Sim as Scrooge, is the definitive version of the Dickens classic.  It could be deemed rare these days, as it doesn't appear on TV as much as more modern takes. 
When I say movies I mean movies. That said, I like "Garfield"! My favorite comics. That Special should be fun. 3D

Well as I said, I don't like the book "Christmas Carol". I watched the adaptations you mention & then some but, being non-fan of story itself, it's a done deal. I like "A Christmas Story" very much. Such cute & funny.

Did you ever see "Silent Night, Deadly Night"? It's the 80s Christmas slasher which had cult following back then but now forgotten. I look for movies like that - ultra-rare, never talked about except tiny fanbase but still turning in various Top 10 lists. It could be anything - low-budget Christmas comedy, action, thriller & sure, horror.

Rear Window and North By Northwest are both great Hitchcock flicks. I wasn't too crazy about The Birds. I've got a lot of catching up to do as far as Hitchcock films go though.

As far as Christmas movies of the rare variety... I don't really know any! I love the classics. I can watch them over and over and not get bored. If TV specials count, I'm looking forward to reprising A Very Murray Christmas again this year (Bill Murray's special from last year). And I confess I spent way too much time drinking scotch "with" Nick Offerman (his Lagavulin yule log ad) last year too. Is it weird to think of that as a Christmas special? I might put it on again this year. I probably enjoyed that waaaaay too much and more than anyone else did, haha.
I like "The Birds". The worst to me is "Vertigo" if we talk popular films. Couldn't stand Kim Novak.

Check his British films out - "Stage Fright", "The Lady Vanishes", "Sabotage", "39 Steps", "The Man Who Knew Too Much" (Am version Hitch did 2 decades later isn't as good: it lacks Peter Lorre), "The Lodger", "Lifeboat". If you're fan of Paul Newman - I suspect you are - "Torn Curtain". Here's full list: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alfred_Hitchcock_filmography

BBs song is in "A Very Murray Christmas", good reason to check it.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #180 on: December 02, 2016, 07:25:12 PM »

As I posted earlier, one of the TV networks showed numerous Hitchcock movies a few days ago. One of those was The Man Who Knew Too Much. What was screened was the original 1930s version which I hadn't seen before - I had seen the 1950s version ( which featured the song Que Sera Sera).

Very interesting difference in plot between the two movies. In the earlier movie, the woman lead played a vital role at the end, doing something that I certainly couldn't see Doris Day doing!
I highly recommend the early version if you haven't seen it yet. And it features Peter Lorre who's wonderfully evil as usual.
Hitch is cool like that, remakes his movies. 3D Compare as well "Saboteur" to "39 Steps".

I posted when you posted. Said the same about Peter Lorre & it's thousand times better than stupid Doris Day remake. That doggone ditty was really - I mean REALLY - annoying. Smb. should've shut her mouth.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
KDS
« Reply #181 on: December 02, 2016, 09:13:41 PM »

I suppose the 1985 Christmas Special I mentioned could be rare.

As is the 1987 Garfield Christmas special, which hasn't appeared on TV, to my knowledge, in at least ten years. 

Not rare, but the 1988 Bill Murray comedy Scrooged, is extremely underrated.  I think it kinda gets lost in the shuffle since it was released the same decade as A Christmas Story (1983) and Christmas Vacation (1989), and close to Home Alone (1990).  But, it's a great modern version of A Christmas Carol, and one of Bill Murray's best performances IMO. 

Speaking of a Christmas Carol, to me, the 1951 British version, starring Allistar Sim as Scrooge, is the definitive version of the Dickens classic.  It could be deemed rare these days, as it doesn't appear on TV as much as more modern takes. 
When I say movies I mean movies. That said, I like "Garfield"! My favorite comics. That Special should be fun. 3D

Well as I said, I don't like the book "Christmas Carol". I watched the adaptations you mention & then some but, being non-fan of story itself, it's a done deal. I like "A Christmas Story" very much. Such cute & funny.

Did you ever see "Silent Night, Deadly Night"? It's the 80s Christmas slasher which had cult following back then but now forgotten. I look for movies like that - ultra-rare, never talked about except tiny fanbase but still turning in various Top 10 lists. It could be anything - low-budget Christmas comedy, action, thriller & sure, horror.

Rear Window and North By Northwest are both great Hitchcock flicks. I wasn't too crazy about The Birds. I've got a lot of catching up to do as far as Hitchcock films go though.

As far as Christmas movies of the rare variety... I don't really know any! I love the classics. I can watch them over and over and not get bored. If TV specials count, I'm looking forward to reprising A Very Murray Christmas again this year (Bill Murray's special from last year). And I confess I spent way too much time drinking scotch "with" Nick Offerman (his Lagavulin yule log ad) last year too. Is it weird to think of that as a Christmas special? I might put it on again this year. I probably enjoyed that waaaaay too much and more than anyone else did, haha.
I like "The Birds". The worst to me is "Vertigo" if we talk popular films. Couldn't stand Kim Novak.

Check his British films out - "Stage Fright", "The Lady Vanishes", "Sabotage", "39 Steps", "The Man Who Knew Too Much" (Am version Hitch did 2 decades later isn't as good: it lacks Peter Lorre), "The Lodger", "Lifeboat". If you're fan of Paul Newman - I suspect you are - "Torn Curtain". Here's full list: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alfred_Hitchcock_filmography

BBs song is in "A Very Murray Christmas", good reason to check it.

Ive seen Silent Night Deadly Night, but to be honest, it didnt do much for me.

I also saw the remake of Black Christmas.  Terrible.  I do want to check out the original.  Oddly enough, Black Christmas, one of the earliest slashers was directed by Bob Clark.  Clark would do on to direct A Christmas Story.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #182 on: December 03, 2016, 06:53:42 AM »

SNDN had dumb characters. The music matched with the slash scenes was hilarious. I mention it to show what kind of Christmas films - obscure forgotten - I'd like to see.

Right now - horror "Black Ops" (2008) with Lance Henriksen. Immediately recognized him by the TV series "Millennium". Did you like it?

KDS
« Reply #183 on: December 05, 2016, 05:24:27 AM »

SNDN had dumb characters. The music matched with the slash scenes was hilarious. I mention it to show what kind of Christmas films - obscure forgotten - I'd like to see.

Right now - horror "Black Ops" (2008) with Lance Henriksen. Immediately recognized him by the TV series "Millennium". Did you like it?

There's a newer Christmas horror movie that came out last year that I'd like to check out.  It's called A Christmas Horror Story, and it's an anthology movie, with three or four shorter stories, including one on Krampus.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #184 on: December 05, 2016, 05:40:50 AM »

There's a newer Christmas horror movie that came out last year that I'd like to check out.  It's called A Christmas Horror Story, and it's an anthology movie, with three or four shorter stories, including one on Krampus.
About time I get cool news. 3D Thanks!

Again - did you see/like "Millennium" TV series? What will you advise to see? Did you like "Are you afraid of the dark?"? I'm big fan.

KDS
« Reply #185 on: December 05, 2016, 05:47:23 AM »

About time I get cool news. 3D Thanks!

Again - did you see/like "Millennium" TV series? What will you advise to see? Did you like "Are you afraid of the dark?"? I'm big fan.

I never saw Millennium.  I did watch Are You Afraid of the Dark back in the early 1990s, and quite enjoyed it.  I was hoping that Nick would reair some of those episodes as part of their retro programming called "Splat."  I've seen some reruns of Double Dare, Salute Your Shorts, Doug, and Hey Dude, but not Are You Afraid of the Dark. 
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #186 on: December 05, 2016, 05:55:58 AM »

I never saw Millennium.  I did watch Are You Afraid of the Dark back in the early 1990s, and quite enjoyed it.  I was hoping that Nick would reair some of those episodes as part of their retro programming called "Splat."  I've seen some reruns of Double Dare, Salute Your Shorts, Doug, and Hey Dude, but not Are You Afraid of the Dark. 
I really liked the episode "The Tale of the Dollmaker". Who was your favorite character? I liked the kid brother of boy with glasses, his stories were the best. I liked the main girl too, the smartest with dark hair.

"Double Dare" etc. - is these horror TV series? Which would you advise?

KDS
« Reply #187 on: December 05, 2016, 06:06:54 AM »

I really liked the episode "The Tale of the Dollmaker". Who was your favorite character? I liked the kid brother of boy with glasses, his stories were the best. I liked the main girl too, the smartest with dark hair.

"Double Dare" etc. - is these horror TV series? Which would you advise?

To be 100%, it's been almost 25 years since I've seen an episode of Are You Afraid of the Dark, so I really have no recollection of any of the stories or characters.

Double Dare was a game show, hosted by Marc Summers (who until recently was doing a show called Unwrapped on The Food Network).  It involved trivia questions and "physical challenges" which usually included crawling through slime or throwing eggs, or generally anything messy. 
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #188 on: December 05, 2016, 06:31:43 AM »

I said "etc." What about the rest you mentioned? "Salute Your Shorts, Doug, and Hey Dude" - is these horror TV series?

Did you see 2 cult classics "La Casa 3" & "La Casa 4"? They're not related to Sam Raimi's films. 1st is about girl possessed with toy clown that her mortician father brought from dead kid & she & clown kill new people at the deserted house. The next with David Hesselhoff & Linda Blair & other actors trapped in the island hotel where the lonely actress ghost lives. She kills based on sins - greed etc.

KDS
« Reply #189 on: December 05, 2016, 06:39:03 AM »

I said "etc." What about the rest you mentioned? "Salute Your Shorts, Doug, and Hey Dude" - is these horror TV series?

Did you see 2 cult classics "La Casa 3" & "La Casa 4"? They're not related to Sam Raimi's films. 1st is about girl possessed with toy clown that her mortician father brought from dead kid & she & clown kill new people at the deserted house. The next with David Hesselhoff & Linda Blair & other actors trapped in the island hotel where the lonely actress ghost lives. She kills based on sins - greed etc.

Neither of those were horror shows.  The only horror based show Nick ever did, as far as I knew, was Are You Afraid.  Salute Your Shorts was a summer camp comedy.  Doug was a cartoon.  Hey Dude was a comedy that took place on a ranch, and featured a young Christine Taylor. 

I've never seen either of the La Casa movies.  Sounds interesting. 
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #190 on: December 05, 2016, 06:50:25 AM »

Check TMC, both films must be there.

"Texas Chainsaw Massacre" is classic but Tobe Hooper made this film in 1977 featuring young Robert Englund (surprise! he plays victim, late dinner to crocodile) - "Eaten Alive". I think it's underrated. What will you say?

KDS
« Reply #191 on: December 05, 2016, 06:57:02 AM »

Check TMC, both films must be there.

"Texas Chainsaw Massacre" is classic but Tobe Hooper made this film in 1977 featuring young Robert Englund (surprise! he plays victim, late dinner to crocodile) - "Eaten Alive". I think it's underrated. What will you say?

I saw Eaten Alive, and to be honest, I wasn't really a big fan. 
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #192 on: December 05, 2016, 07:11:59 AM »

What would be your Top 3 h films that you think brilliant examples of filmmaking, script, fx, camera work etc.?

U.S. "Ring" is superior to Japanese. Agree? Any J horror is juuuuuust unbearably boorring with loong close-ups of faces a la "look at me thinking, stare into meaningful expressions".

KDS
« Reply #193 on: December 05, 2016, 07:42:21 AM »

What would be your Top 3 h films that you think brilliant examples of filmmaking, script, fx, camera work etc.?

U.S. "Ring" is superior to Japanese. Agree? Any J horror is juuuuuust unbearably boorring with loong close-ups of faces a la "look at me thinking, stare into meaningful expressions".

Top three?  That's a toughie. 

I did prefer the US version of The Ring, but I do like some J horror.  I'm OK with a slow moving movie, but sometimes the run time can be a little long.  Example, the movie Audition was very suspenseful.  But, a 90 minute runtime would've been better than the 120 minute runtime. 

Instead of a top three.  Here are three examples of  great film making in horror....

1.  Jaws - Due to technical difficulties with the mechanical shark, Speilberg had to rely on tension, camerawork, music cues, and character development to create an atmosphere.  The audience doesn't get a good look at the shark until 2/3 of the way into the movie, but we're glued to the camera, thanks to John Williams' score and brilliant use of POV for the shark. 

2.  Halloween - John Carpenter's low budget slasher.  And one of the few slasher movies that's actually genuinely scary IMO.  Once again, the score and use of POV really helped.  This movie is also not overly dependent on blood, gore, and female nudity as later slashers would be. 

3.  Dead Silence - James Wan's first attempt at supernatural horror went under the radar, and isn't as well known as later movies like The Conjuring.  IMO, supernatural horror is the most difficult, as when it's done right, relies on atmosphere rather than cheap jump scares.  James Wan is one of the best modern horror directors.  This one has a ton of atmosphere, and a great reveal at the end. 
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #194 on: December 05, 2016, 11:53:00 AM »

I saw "Lorenzo's Oil" on one of the "On Demand" channels, and was reminded how much I loved that movie.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #195 on: December 05, 2016, 03:05:39 PM »

Am wondering if it indicates the different ways women were perceived in the 30s as opposed to the 50s.
This had been pointed out in an article about the Nancy Drew books which became popular back in the 30s. A lot of the books were changed in the 50s. For example, in one of the books the car Nancy is in gets a flat tire. She changes the tire. In the updated version the women wait for a man to do the work.

I'm not a radical but thought it interesting. I highly recommend the early version if you haven't seen it yet. And it features Peter Lorre who's wonderfully evil as usual.

There was definitely a cultural pushback in the '50s against women having outside-the-home competence. There were lots of professional women in movies in the '30s and '40s. Think of roles played by Barbara Stanwick, Joan Crawford, Rosalind Russell, Bette Davis, Myrna Loy, and Ida Lupino. Then, there's the 50s. Think of Marilyn Monroe, Jayne Mansfield, Doris Day, and the TV sitcom wives. The wars and the depression brought a lot of women into men's spaces. Previously, of course, women had been working damned hard and competently, making clothes and washing them by hand, growing, harvesting and preparing food from scratch, taking in "piecework" to augment incomes. But with the absence of men during the wars and the need for any income available during the depression, women started working paying jobs in significant numbers. After WWII, with the boom in the '50s, and the return from war of so many men, it was considered patriotic for women to make way in the workforce for the returning men. However, by that time running a middle class home was much less work than it had been before the wars, so stupid incompetent women were invented to justify them not working.

Note: this is mainly about middle class and wealthier women. Of course women have been working professionally as cooks, cleaners, clothes-makers, farmers, factory-workers, etc. since forever.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2016, 03:12:44 PM by Emily » Logged
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #196 on: December 05, 2016, 05:36:33 PM »

I did prefer the US version of The Ring, but I do like some J horror.  I'm OK with a slow moving movie, but sometimes the run time can be a little long.  Example, the movie Audition was very suspenseful.  But, a 90 minute runtime would've been better than the 120 minute runtime. 

Instead of a top three.  Here are three examples of  great film making in horror....

1.  Jaws - Due to technical difficulties with the mechanical shark, Speilberg had to rely on tension, camerawork, music cues, and character development to create an atmosphere.  The audience doesn't get a good look at the shark until 2/3 of the way into the movie, but we're glued to the camera, thanks to John Williams' score and brilliant use of POV for the shark. 

2.  Halloween - John Carpenter's low budget slasher.  And one of the few slasher movies that's actually genuinely scary IMO.  Once again, the score and use of POV really helped.  This movie is also not overly dependent on blood, gore, and female nudity as later slashers would be. 

3.  Dead Silence - James Wan's first attempt at supernatural horror went under the radar, and isn't as well known as later movies like The Conjuring.  IMO, supernatural horror is the most difficult, as when it's done right, relies on atmosphere rather than cheap jump scares.  James Wan is one of the best modern horror directors.  This one has a ton of atmosphere, and a great reveal at the end. 
I think J horrors suffer from too much filler.

Thank you for detailed answer. "Jaws" is good till it gets to the end with Quint being shark's food. I liked him. It really looked as though Hooper would die.
"Halloween" is my favorite since about 8. Cool background music. The numerous sequels were hit & miss.
Not familiar with James Wan. I'll check what kind of movies he created starting with DS.

OK, what's your favorite movies disregarding the usual suspects "Godfather", "Back to the Future" etc? Tell your favorite less known titles.

KDS
« Reply #197 on: December 05, 2016, 08:03:36 PM »

I think J horrors suffer from too much filler.

Thank you for detailed answer. "Jaws" is good till it gets to the end with Quint being shark's food. I liked him. It really looked as though Hooper would die.
"Halloween" is my favorite since about 8. Cool background music. The numerous sequels were hit & miss.
Not familiar with James Wan. I'll check what kind of movies he created starting with DS.

OK, what's your favorite movies disregarding the usual suspects "Godfather", "Back to the Future" etc? Tell your favorite less known titles.

Well, Hooper dies in the book, and was supposed to die in the movie.  But, the stuntman who was in the shark cage had to be removed after a heart attack.  They got great footage of a real shark thrashing the empty cage.  Not wanting to waste the great footage, they changed the ending so that Hooper escapes.

I love the Back to the Future movies.  Not so much into The Godfather, but mob movies dont do much for me.

Lesser known?  I really like old dinosaur movies.  The 1960 film Dinosaurus and 1975's The Land That Time Forgot are two favorites. 

Theres a spoof movie that was made by the Zuckers who wound up doing Airplane and The Naked Gun called Kentucky Fried Movie that I love.  Its from 1977, and some of the humor might be deemed "offensive" today.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #198 on: December 05, 2016, 08:53:40 PM »

Well, Hooper dies in the book, and was supposed to die in the movie.  But, the stuntman who was in the shark cage had to be removed after a heart attack.  They got great footage of a real shark thrashing the empty cage.  Not wanting to waste the great footage, they changed the ending so that Hooper escapes.

I love the Back to the Future movies.  Not so much into The Godfather, but mob movies dont do much for me.

Lesser known?  I really like old dinosaur movies.  The 1960 film Dinosaurus and 1975's The Land That Time Forgot are two favorites.  

Theres a spoof movie that was made by the Zuckers who wound up doing Airplane and The Naked Gun called Kentucky Fried Movie that I love.  Its from 1977, and some of the humor might be deemed "offensive" today.
"Back to the Future 2" is my favorite. Biff Tannens (future, past, present) had the funniest lines! Besides, sinister-looking Flea & Michael J. Fox playing Marty's daughter. He was quite convincing as girl. Cheesy Not mention McFly-Jr looks hilariously exactly like Marty, just loser.
That said, Crispin Glover as shy senior high schooler was amusing in 1st part.

Me too, mob movies rehash the same old without adding anything new. It gets dull.

Old dinosaur movies? Interesting, I thought Spielberg was pioneer with "Jurassic Park"?

Speaking of docs, what "The Making of" you really liked & it opened your eyes about the film? Not favorite but the "Making of Cujo" (Stephen King, about killer dog) would catch your attention, I think. The guy who played the boy said that it was fun & he came up with idea to have seizure due to dehydration - 6-year-old kid at the time! Dee Wallace praised him. & the heat you see inside the car, she & boy having drops of sweat - actually, it was chilling outside & the drops is the water the crew splashed. Well, check it yourself. Smiley

I kinda liked the "Psycho" doc too. The 1998 remake was epic fail. Even though director is well-known, Gus Van Sant. with Vince Vaugn - good comedian but not versatile enough to be cast in horror - as Norman Bates. Ditto cheesy "Rear Window" remake, the Superman actor playing perfect-as-is James Stewart role.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2016, 09:35:15 PM by RangeRoverA1 » Logged

KDS
« Reply #199 on: December 06, 2016, 05:20:13 AM »

Well, Hooper dies in the book, and was supposed to die in the movie.  But, the stuntman who was in the shark cage had to be removed after a heart attack.  They got great footage of a real shark thrashing the empty cage.  Not wanting to waste the great footage, they changed the ending so that Hooper escapes.

I love the Back to the Future movies.  Not so much into The Godfather, but mob movies dont do much for me.

Lesser known?  I really like old dinosaur movies.  The 1960 film Dinosaurus and 1975's The Land That Time Forgot are two favorites.  

Theres a spoof movie that was made by the Zuckers who wound up doing Airplane and The Naked Gun called Kentucky Fried Movie that I love.  Its from 1977, and some of the humor might be deemed "offensive" today.
"Back to the Future 2" is my favorite. Biff Tannens (future, past, present) had the funniest lines! Besides, sinister-looking Flea & Michael J. Fox playing Marty's daughter. He was quite convincing as girl. Cheesy Not mention McFly-Jr looks hilariously exactly like Marty, just loser.
That said, Crispin Glover as shy senior high schooler was amusing in 1st part.

Me too, mob movies rehash the same old without adding anything new. It gets dull.

Old dinosaur movies? Interesting, I thought Spielberg was pioneer with "Jurassic Park"?

Speaking of docs, what "The Making of" you really liked & it opened your eyes about the film? Not favorite but the "Making of Cujo" (Stephen King, about killer dog) would catch your attention, I think. The guy who played the boy said that it was fun & he came up with idea to have seizure due to dehydration - 6-year-old kid at the time! Dee Wallace praised him. & the heat you see inside the car, she & boy having drops of sweat - actually, it was chilling outside & the drops is the water the crew splashed. Well, check it yourself. Smiley

I kinda liked the "Psycho" doc too. The 1998 remake was epic fail. Even though director is well-known, Gus Van Sant. with Vince Vaugn - good comedian but not versatile enough to be cast in horror - as Norman Bates. Ditto cheesy "Rear Window" remake, the Superman actor playing perfect-as-is James Stewart role.

For making ofs, I'd have to go with Jaws.  Learning about how the various difficulties actually made Jaws a better movie was pretty neat.  Although, lately, I'm not as in to behind the scenes stuff like I used to be. 

Jurassic Park set a new standard for dinosaur movies, but it didn't come out until I was 13.  So, I fell in love with B movies like the ones I mentioned Planet of Dinosaurs and The Last Dinosaur, as well as Godzilla movies.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 ... 56   Go Up
Print
Jump to: