-->
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:18:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News: peteramescarlin.com
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  The Smiley Smile Message Board
|-+  Non Smiley Smile Stuff
| |-+  The Sandbox
| | |-+  What are you watching now?/Favourite Movie of the Moment
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 ... 56   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: What are you watching now?/Favourite Movie of the Moment  (Read 443322 times)
KDS
« Reply #150 on: November 30, 2016, 08:44:38 AM »

Guttenberg actually did a low budget franchise for Asylum films called Lavatanula, which included Michael Winslow, the actress who played Hooks (her name escapes me), and Leslie Easterbrook.  There were a few sly PA references. 

I don't think PA8 would be a good idea at this point.  George Gaines and Bubba Smith have each passed away.  I doubt they could recapture the feel of those first few movies, which are now 30+ years old. 

On the cartoon, in the late 80s / early 90s, it was very popular to turn hit movies into Saturday morning cartoons.  The most successful was probably The Real Ghostbusters, but there were also cartoons for Beetlejuice, Bill&Ted, Back to the Future, Batman (which had been in the works for awhile, but didn't make it to TV until the hit Tim Burton movies), etc.  Given how vulgar the original PA movie is, it's kinda funny that a kids show was based on the franchise. 
Don't forget David Graf (Tackleberry), he's dead too. I agree with what you said & the other actors apparently too, they each turned down to reprise their respective roles.

I'll check "Lavatanula". Her name is Marion Ramsey.

Hey, I liked Bill & Ted. Actually, the cartoon was better than the movie. Ditto "Beetlejuice". He was cute in cartoon.
Hm, they did "Back to the Future"? Is it good?
Funny, I didn't like the 1st film much, for many reasons, boring nudity including. Guess I didn't like the beam lights being turned to Mahoney. I don't usually care for "charming debonair" characters but it's no brainer that the main audience digs hero types.

Marion Ramsey.  Thank you.  I didn't know that David Graf passed on. 

I thought the B&T cartoon was decent (they actually got Reeves, Winter, and Carlin to do the voices on the early episodes), but I prefer the movies.  Same for Beetlejuice.

If you liked the B&T cartoon, check out Back to the Future.  It's kinda the same where they have Doc and Marty go back in time to different places.  I think it aired for a year.  I remember one where they traveled back to the Salem Witch Trials. 
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #151 on: November 30, 2016, 11:23:44 PM »

I thought the B&T cartoon was decent (they actually got Reeves, Winter, and Carlin to do the voices on the early episodes), but I prefer the movies.  Same for Beetlejuice.

If you liked the B&T cartoon, check out Back to the Future.  It's kinda the same where they have Doc and Marty go back in time to different places.  I think it aired for a year.  I remember one where they traveled back to the Salem Witch Trials. 
He did before Bubba Smith & George Gaynes. & Debralee Scott, played Officer Fackler's wife in 1st & 3rd movie. She rode him in the hood of car to recruit in 3rd.

I don't like "Beetlejuice" movie coz I don't like Winona Ryder.
Cool, will add to check BttF.

Do you agree that the 80s were good comedies? From the 90s I'd say "Loaded Weapon", action parody with Emilio Estevez & Samuel L. Jackson. From 2000s "Corky Romano" with Columbo guy playing gangster.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
KDS
« Reply #152 on: December 01, 2016, 05:35:07 AM »

He did before Bubba Smith & George Gaynes. & Debralee Scott, played Officer Fackler's wife in 1st & 3rd movie. She rode him in the hood of car to recruit in 3rd.

I don't like "Beetlejuice" movie coz I don't like Winona Ryder.
Cool, will add to check BttF.

Do you agree that the 80s were good comedies? From the 90s I'd say "Loaded Weapon", action parody with Emilio Estevez & Samuel L. Jackson. From 2000s "Corky Romano" with Columbo guy playing gangster.

I'm a huge fan of 1980s comedy.  Ghostbusters is my 2nd favorite movie of all time.  I love the movies of John Candy, Chevy Chase, Bill Murray, Steve Martin, Dan Aykroyd.  They just don't make that kind of comedies anymore. 

Loaded Weapon was a really good parody movie.  There were a lot of those in the 80s with Airplane, Top Secret, and The Naked Gun.  Sadly, that's become a lost art.  Parody movies now just basically make references to other movies.  There was a parody of Twilight, which is a movie that deserved to be parodied, called Vampires Suck.  I make it ten minutes in.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #153 on: December 01, 2016, 06:33:11 PM »

I'm a huge fan of 1980s comedy.  Ghostbusters is my 2nd favorite movie of all time.  I love the movies of John Candy, Chevy Chase, Bill Murray, Steve Martin, Dan Aykroyd.  They just don't make that kind of comedies anymore. 

Loaded Weapon was a really good parody movie.  There were a lot of those in the 80s with Airplane, Top Secret, and The Naked Gun.  Sadly, that's become a lost art.  Parody movies now just basically make references to other movies.  There was a parody of Twilight, which is a movie that deserved to be parodied, called Vampires Suck.  I make it ten minutes in.
The 1st favorite is "Police Academy"?

I like Steve Martin - in fact, I got DVD with his movies. My favorite is "Dirty Scoundrels" in pair with Michael Caine playing con artists.

"Twilight" is bad. I like Robert Pattinson as singer but never bought into this hype. Frankly, I don't like vampire horror movies. There isn't anything scary about these creatures.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
KDS
« Reply #154 on: December 02, 2016, 05:14:12 AM »

The 1st favorite is "Police Academy"?

I like Steve Martin - in fact, I got DVD with his movies. My favorite is "Dirty Scoundrels" in pair with Michael Caine playing con artists.

"Twilight" is bad. I like Robert Pattinson as singer but never bought into this hype. Frankly, I don't like vampire horror movies. There isn't anything scary about these creatures.

My first favorite movie of all time is Jaws.

Funny you mentioned my least favorite, Twilight.  When I was still courting my wife, she asked if I'd watch it with her.  Worse than I could've imagined.  How that movie franchise was a hit is beyond me.  Luckily, we now have an understanding that we won't subject the other the stuff the other doesn't like......except an occasional episode of The Wahlburger she asks me to watch.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #155 on: December 02, 2016, 05:44:12 AM »

Funny you mentioned my least favorite, Twilight.  When I was still courting my wife, she asked if I'd watch it with her.  Worse than I could've imagined.  How that movie franchise was a hit is beyond me.  Luckily, we now have an understanding that we won't subject the other the stuff the other doesn't like......except an occasional episode of The Wahlburger she asks me to watch.
"Jaws" is cool. Did you see "Orca"? It's about animal revenge; good film.

You mentioned "Twilight" 1st. What's "Wahlburger"? Cook show?

KDS
« Reply #156 on: December 02, 2016, 05:49:35 AM »

"Jaws" is cool. Did you see "Orca"? It's about animal revenge; good film.

You mentioned "Twilight" 1st. What's "Wahlburger"? Cook show?

I've never seen Orca all the way through.  I know it was one of the Jaws copycats from the late 70s. 

Walhburgers is a reality TV show.  It features Donnie and Mark Wahlburg, and their family.  One of their brothers owns a burger franchise called Wahlburgers. 
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #157 on: December 02, 2016, 06:04:47 AM »

I've never seen Orca all the way through.  I know it was one of the Jaws copycats from the late 70s. 

Walhburgers is a reality TV show.  It features Donnie and Mark Wahlburg, and their family.  One of their brothers owns a burger franchise called Wahlburgers. 
Copycat? "Jaws" features shark that is carnivorous. "Orca" features non-carnivorous animal. Shark kills people at random, orca turned killer as revenge for the dead wife/child. Explain.

I knew it's sth. to do with food. Tongue

KDS
« Reply #158 on: December 02, 2016, 06:32:35 AM »

Copycat? "Jaws" features shark that is carnivorous. "Orca" features non-carnivorous animal. Shark kills people at random, orca turned killer as revenge for the dead wife/child. Explain.

I knew it's sth. to do with food. Tongue

I say copycat, because it's basically a marine animal that feeds on people.  Sure, the species and motive of the animal are different, but the filmmakers were definitely trying to capitalize on the success of Jaws.

Joe Dante kinda did the same with his B movie, Piranha. 
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #159 on: December 02, 2016, 07:21:48 AM »

I say copycat, because it's basically a marine animal that feeds on people.  Sure, the species and motive of the animal are different, but the filmmakers were definitely trying to capitalize on the success of Jaws.

After a bit of thinking, I'd say you're right - what for they would make harmless orca killer? The very idea is absurd. But that said, it's just movie. & I like it as I do "Jaws".

"Piranha" was dull. What marine horrors/thrillers there are that don't exploit this theme? Throw titles.

KDS
« Reply #160 on: December 02, 2016, 07:36:14 AM »

After a bit of thinking, I'd say you're right - what for they would make harmless orca killer? The very idea is absurd. But that said, it's just movie. & I like it as I do "Jaws".

"Piranha" was dull. What marine horrors/thrillers there are that don't exploit this theme? Throw titles.

Well, the idea of a great white shark with a motive that attacks three guys on a boat is a little absurd too, but that's why its fiction.

Almost any marine / horror movie made in the last 40 years owes a little something to Jaws IMO.  The remake of Piranha even got Richard Dreyfuss to make a cameo as his character from Jaws. 
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #161 on: December 02, 2016, 07:59:33 AM »

Well, the idea of a great white shark with a motive that attacks three guys on a boat is a little absurd too, but that's why its fiction.

Almost any marine / horror movie made in the last 40 years owes a little something to Jaws IMO.  The remake of Piranha even got Richard Dreyfuss to make a cameo as his character from Jaws. 
Sure but shark is carnivorous by its nature & orca isn't, is my point.

Is horror your favorite genre? I am fan since 5. My fam would borrow VHS cassettes from village neighbors & we would watch some fright with lights turned down. I like how my parents weren't bothered by me sitting & watching scary stuff. I really liked it.

pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #162 on: December 02, 2016, 08:15:11 AM »

Spent my leisure  time  of the past 4 days watching binging on Westworld. Incredible show. The finale is this Sunday.
KDS
« Reply #163 on: December 02, 2016, 08:18:23 AM »

Sure but shark is carnivorous by its nature & orca isn't, is my point.

Is horror your favorite genre? I am fan since 5. My fam would borrow VHS cassettes from village neighbors & we would watch some fright with lights turned down. I like how my parents weren't bothered by me sitting & watching scary stuff. I really liked it.

I love horror, but I'd say that comedy is my favorite genre.  I have to be in the mood to watch a horror movie, but I can always sit a watch a good comedy.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #164 on: December 02, 2016, 09:08:27 AM »

There will be blood.

Paul Dano and Daniel Day Lewis need to do another movie together...

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
KDS
« Reply #165 on: December 02, 2016, 09:11:18 AM »

I've been in Christmas mode for the last week or so. 

Have only watched one full length movie so far, but that'll change over the next 23 days. 

Last week, we watched The Muppets' Christmas Carol, and very good adaption of the Dickens classic that does a great job blending the dark tone of the original story with the lightheartedness of The Muppets. 
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #166 on: December 02, 2016, 09:17:31 AM »

Charlie Brown Christmas! Wink

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #167 on: December 02, 2016, 09:21:45 AM »

Have only watched one full length movie so far, but that'll change over the next 23 days. 

Last week, we watched The Muppets' Christmas Carol, and very good adaption of the Dickens classic that does a great job blending the dark tone of the original story with the lightheartedness of The Muppets. 
Did they sing Christmas classics? It's not my favorite book by CD, I like "Old Curiousity Shop". Would like it to be adapted.

What's your favorite rare Christmas movie?

Scaroline No
« Reply #168 on: December 02, 2016, 09:30:52 AM »

Not rare, but I must watch National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation every year. Must and do.

Also not rare, and not a Christmas movie, but funny (to me) story:

One year, way back when Blockbuster and renting movies was still a thing, my sister and I went out to go rent Christmas Vacation, and could not find it anywhere. We were so disappointed that our Christmas tradition was going to get spoiled. It was Christmas Eve and there were literally no Christmas movies at any movie rental place in our town. So we ended up renting Hitchcock's Psycho, LOL. And now we watch Psycho every Christmas. Been about 15 year now. Best Christmas tradition ever!
KDS
« Reply #169 on: December 02, 2016, 09:41:18 AM »

Did they sing Christmas classics? It's not my favorite book by CD, I like "Old Curiousity Shop". Would like it to be adapted.

What's your favorite rare Christmas movie?

The Muppets don't sing any Classic classics in that movie, but they sing some songs Paul Williams wrote for the movie. 

My favorite Christmas movie is Christmas Vacation. 

I'm not sure what you mean by rare, but there's a Christmas special called The Bestest Christmas Present from 1985.  It's an animated special featuring the comic strip characters from For Better or For Worse.  I remember it aired on HBO when I was a kid.  I was able to find it on Youtube a few years ago, and two years ago, I bought a DVD of it directly from the creator. 
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #170 on: December 02, 2016, 09:44:01 AM »

Not rare, but I must watch National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation every year. Must and do.

One year, way back when Blockbuster and renting movies was still a thing, my sister and I went out to go rent Christmas Vacation, and could not find it anywhere. We were so disappointed that our Christmas tradition was going to get spoiled. It was Christmas Eve and there were literally no Christmas movies at any movie rental place in our town. So we ended up renting Hitchcock's Psycho, LOL. And now we watch Psycho every Christmas. Been about 15 year now. Best Christmas tradition ever!
Mighty cool! I like "Christmas Vacation" but I look for recommendations, a bit boring to see the same big titles. I'd like rarities.

What the other Hitch you'd seen?

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #171 on: December 02, 2016, 09:48:52 AM »

2KDS: see the post to SCaroline Z. Rare movies =  played by little known actors, not shown in theatres, maybe TV movie. Stuff like that.

KDS
« Reply #172 on: December 02, 2016, 10:09:46 AM »

2KDS: see the post to SCaroline Z. Rare movies =  played by little known actors, not shown in theatres, maybe TV movie. Stuff like that.

I suppose the 1985 Christmas Special I mentioned could be rare.

As is the 1987 Garfield Christmas special, which hasn't appeared on TV, to my knowledge, in at least ten years. 

Not rare, but the 1988 Bill Murray comedy Scrooged, is extremely underrated.  I think it kinda gets lost in the shuffle since it was released the same decade as A Christmas Story (1983) and Christmas Vacation (1989), and close to Home Alone (1990).  But, it's a great modern version of A Christmas Carol, and one of Bill Murray's best performances IMO. 

Speaking of a Christmas Carol, to me, the 1951 British version, starring Allistar Sim as Scrooge, is the definitive version of the Dickens classic.  It could be deemed rare these days, as it doesn't appear on TV as much as more modern takes. 
Scaroline No
« Reply #173 on: December 02, 2016, 10:15:53 AM »

Mighty cool! I like "Christmas Vacation" but I look for recommendations, a bit boring to see the same big titles. I'd like rarities.

Rear Window and North By Northwest are both great Hitchcock flicks. I wasn't too crazy about The Birds. I've got a lot of catching up to do as far as Hitchcock films go though.

As far as Christmas movies of the rare variety... I don't really know any! I love the classics. I can watch them over and over and not get bored. If TV specials count, I'm looking forward to reprising A Very Murray Christmas again this year (Bill Murray's special from last year). And I confess I spent way too much time drinking scotch "with" Nick Offerman (his Lagavulin yule log ad) last year too. Is it weird to think of that as a Christmas special? I might put it on again this year. I probably enjoyed that waaaaay too much and more than anyone else did, haha.
KDS
« Reply #174 on: December 02, 2016, 11:38:56 AM »

Rear Window and North By Northwest are both great Hitchcock flicks. I wasn't too crazy about The Birds. I've got a lot of catching up to do as far as Hitchcock films go though.

As far as Christmas movies of the rare variety... I don't really know any! I love the classics. I can watch them over and over and not get bored. If TV specials count, I'm looking forward to reprising A Very Murray Christmas again this year (Bill Murray's special from last year). And I confess I spent way too much time drinking scotch "with" Nick Offerman (his Lagavulin yule log ad) last year too. Is it weird to think of that as a Christmas special? I might put it on again this year. I probably enjoyed that waaaaay too much and more than anyone else did, haha.

I might see if that Bill Murray Special is on Netflix or Hulu.  Although, to be 100% honest, other than small roles in Kingpin and Zombieland, Bill Murray hasn't really done much for me in the last two decades.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 ... 56   Go Up
Print
Jump to: