-->
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 09:32:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News: Beach Boys Britain
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  The Smiley Smile Message Board
|-+  Non Smiley Smile Stuff
| |-+  The Sandbox
| | |-+  What are you watching now?/Favourite Movie of the Moment
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 56   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: What are you watching now?/Favourite Movie of the Moment  (Read 443540 times)
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: October 29, 2016, 04:40:47 AM »

"Police Academy-5: Assignment: Miami Beach" (1988). Well not the best movie in franchise, it misses funny/interesting characters that were in previous, f.ex. Sweetchuck (Tim Kazurinsky) & Zed (Bobcat Goldthwaite, the chap with the coolest voice ever! Even if it's not real) or the Kirkland fam. But it's surely better than the last, trainwreck PA "Mission in Moscow" (the saving grace there was Ron Perlman & Christopher Lee).

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
SurfRapGrungeFiend
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: October 29, 2016, 06:25:49 PM »

The first power... alot of the same locations as the DOC's video ' its funky enough'

Surf music, Old school rap and The Seattle Sound

DJ Paul- Hi, I'm Chucky

Danny Greene and the Celtic Club

"I have no axe to grind, but if these maggots in this so-called Mafia want to come after me, I'm over here by the Celtic Club. I'm not hard to find'
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: November 01, 2016, 07:18:16 AM »

Well I'm not into tradition of watching movies that suit the holiday. Like watching Halloween during Halloween. As if it's duty. Roll Eyes Anyway, "Christmas vacation" - 1st seen it at 10 maybe. Then at summer. I like it but it isn't funny start to finish. It drags a bit, some of it is pointless, f.ex. the super-duper fashionista neighbors get on my nerves whenever I see their mugs in the screen. They're good mute. Then there is super-boring scene at the shop where Clark Griswold chews the fat with some shop girl. You'd think they could cast smb. less ugly. His wife is such attractive woman, both looks & wits. Actually, I don't like when they waste the time for shopping scenes - they just shoot people buying stuff, it's mundane. Really liked when they showed 2 grandmothers decorating house cake. Wonder if it's U.S. tradition to make cake in shape of house at Christmas. Jolly good. 3D My favorite characters - Griswold fam sans the kids (Russ & Audrey). Then Eddie, despite his goofiness, I think he was funny though I got squeamish seeing him deal with liquid manure spilling to the snow from tube. Catherine was too chirpy & smiley which is good for a bit. The kids were alright. If there's ever movie where kids don't steal the show, it's this. Btw, the intro is good from the point where they get the Christmas tree. The song was annoying & the car "competition" I didn't get what it was about. Those sleigh bells or sth. playing while they open the doors with calendar - Dec. 14 etc. Nice idea. Bottom line: it's good but not great.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
SurfRapGrungeFiend
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: November 01, 2016, 05:09:39 PM »

Brainscan

DJ Paul- Hi, I'm Chucky

"I have no axe to grind, but if these maggots in this so-called Mafia want to come after me, I'm over here by the Celtic Club. I'm not hard to find'
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: November 14, 2016, 07:44:56 AM »

"The Caller", 2011 horror/mystic about some lonely psychotic lady from the past calling in recent times to some young girl who just moved to that flat. The device is very archaic - you know, with round dial & ringing akin to the classic door ring. At 1st the girl tells "wrong number", then is annoyed, then they chat, then she's tired of her calls & unplugs it. After some time, she switches it back & immediately smb. calls. She lives with dog & sometimes talks with the gardener in her neighborhood/yard. She askes who lived before in her flat, he disremembers, then actually says there lived couple, the woman's name was Rose (as that lady's name). In short, cool flick to sit watch at dark alone (easily frightened? bring the pillows to room to hide away).

SurfRapGrungeFiend
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: November 14, 2016, 06:07:00 PM »

Old vhs tapes of ECW i have

DJ Paul- Hi, I'm Chucky

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: November 15, 2016, 12:17:32 AM »

My dwarf friend Daiana feeds me with free film downloads sometimes; she's got fast Internet. I asked her what comedies to see. She transferred to flash card "Due Date" (2010), said it's very funny. Not really. It's road type movie with Robert Downey-Jr & new face Zach Galifianakis. They met by chance on the way to airport, then flew, turned out, the same plane & ended up being road companions. Robert played the architect who flew home to be present at wife's childbirth. They talked by the phone like every 10 minutes. Zach played the budding actor going to Hollywood (he says it's city name, not L.A.) & cast in the TV show "2 & half people". He carried miniature dog Sunny. By misunderstanding, the 2 didn't fly being suspected as drug dealers. Then Zach rented the car to ride thru the states to Los Angeles. There's fighting between them, adventures in the movie. In the end, Robert's character is just in time when the wife (Michelle Monaghan) is in the hospital. But he fainted due to Zach accidentally shooting his knee so Zach took his place to help her.
Downey-Jr is jolly good at playing funny. In fact, IF the movie is funny - didn't get many jokes - it's def due to Robert's deadpan face & sarcastic jabs he gives Zach.

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: November 15, 2016, 02:40:25 AM »

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2016/nov/11/zadie-smiths-nw-why-isnt-it-black-and-british-enough-for-the-bbc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OgfMz12kSb0

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: November 16, 2016, 02:03:08 PM »

Have been watching a lot of documentaries lately on the TCM network.
There were some World War II documentaries on. Sat down and watched the four plus hours of The Sorrow and the Pity. Very thought provoking; what would I have done in that situation?

Tonight there will be some fun documentaries - the classic surfer movie The Endless Summer. Then later on, Woodstock, followed by Elvis: That's the Way it is.

Then, REAL early on Sunday, a non documentary but something I hadn't seen before - the Monkees' movie, Head.

"No White Flags." - Team Gleason

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon

"The best thing you can be 'like' in music is yourself." Dr. John
SurfRapGrungeFiend
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: November 16, 2016, 02:42:57 PM »

Duel 1971

DJ Paul- Hi, I'm Chucky

undercover-m
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #135 on: November 17, 2016, 03:15:11 PM »

The past few evenings have consisted of watching an endless amount of Bob's Burgers.

I want to get drunk with Bob.

"We are pushed to the wall as the heap fills the room to its limits. The window breaks. The house bursts. A heartbreakingly fine Scotch plaid passes before our eyes. Pinstripes carry us into Manhasset Bay."
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: November 18, 2016, 12:24:49 PM »

The past few evenings have consisted of watching an endless amount of Bob's Burgers.

I want to get drunk with Bob.

Bob?? Have I missed something?

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: November 18, 2016, 07:00:03 PM »

john, the movie titled "Bob's burgers", she may mean the main character Bob. That's who she wants to get tipsy.

Rewatching "Sherlock Holmes" (2009), gotta say that Jude Law guy is quite good as John Watson. Brilliant score. I pay attention to music in pictures.

KDS
« Reply #138 on: November 18, 2016, 10:54:55 PM »

"Police Academy-5: Assignment: Miami Beach" (1988). Well not the best movie in franchise, it misses funny/interesting characters that were in previous, f.ex. Sweetchuck (Tim Kazurinsky) & Zed (Bobcat Goldthwaite, the chap with the coolest voice ever! Even if it's not real) or the Kirkland fam. But it's surely better than the last, trainwreck PA "Mission in Moscow" (the saving grace there was Ron Perlman & Christopher Lee).

Mission to Moscow is darn near unwatchable.  And I'm a defender of most Police Academy sequels, even the post Guttenburg ones. 
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #139 on: November 19, 2016, 06:47:54 AM »

Mission to Moscow is darn near unwatchable.  And I'm a defender of most Police Academy sequels, even the post Guttenburg ones. 
Cool that you like "Police Academy". It seems like everybody forgot it. Did you know that Steve Guttenberg (with "e") refused to play in "Miami Beach"? They then cast Matt McCoy to play the debonair; in fact Matt's lines in the script were meant to Guttenberg. In interview Steve said he regrets it now but at the time he became well-known & decided to move on with career. He talked about creating "Police Academy 8" but nobody from the old cast agreed to play plus with Bubba Smith (Hightower) passed away who he was friends with it may not be possible (too bad). I wasn't big fan of character "Mahoney" (& Guttenberg) but fun trivia, it could be Bruce Willis or Michael Keaton. Bruce turned it down, thankfully. I'd rather not see his face in any of "Police Academy". Seeing success of 1st movie, think it was Bruce - maybe Keaton too - who said they regretted declining the role. Did you watch the 90s TV series? Is it good as features? I read that except Michael Winslow (Jones) the cast is totally new there.

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #140 on: November 19, 2016, 10:17:02 PM »

Who watched Jim Jarmusch film "Coffee & Cigarettes"? You didn't? Do it asap. police It's stylistically beautiful & consists of 11 short films (to quote wiki, "series of vignettes"). It stars many household names - actors & musicians. Cool soundtrack too! It's good start to finish but best to "worst" would be:

1. "Somewhere in California" - good dialog. w/ Tom Waits & Iggy Pop. Iggy seems kinda scared of Tom.
2. "Those Things'll Kill Ya" - again, good dialog. 2 old buddies & teenage boy.
3. "Jack Shows Meg His Tesla Coil" - The White Stripes. Jack brought up Tesla coil to cafe & they discuss what is wrong with it. Meg casually gave the right answer. Speaking of Meg, she was pretty to look at, cute little face. Smiley
4. "Twins" - Steve Buscemi as waiter & 2 black customers (brother-sister).
5. "Strange to Meet You" - the very 1st. Considered bad/boring but I really like it. Roberto Benigni is as usual hilarious. His companion is Steven Wright (btw, these people use their real names & don't change occupation, i.e. Tom Waits is Tom Waits & musician. The Steve Buscemi example may be the single exception)
6. "Delirium" - RZA, GZA & Bill Murray. The rappers recognize him & say sth. like "Are you Groundhog day, ghostbustin' Bill Murray?". Then keep saying "Bill Murray" instead just "Bill". They think he is undercover working at that cafe.
7. "Cousins" - Cate Blanchett showing again what good thespian she is. playing 2 cousins with diff. status that meet finally in the hotel. Cate is famous actress & Shelly is her dark-haired free spirit sister. They both envy each other - Cate because, despite being rich, good family etc., doesn't have free time to live without being recognized in streets. Shelly would like to swap places with her & thinks Cate telling she envies her is just being kind but not sincere. You can see she is bitter about Cate getting spotlight etc.
8. "Renee" - well 1stly, the girl is beautiful. She doesn't say much to waiter but she acts with her facial expressions that she hated him spilling milk to the cup of coffee because 1) she didn't ask & 2) it was the right color & taste before he did it.
9. "Champagne" - the last, considered the best, philosophically or sth. else. 2 old chaps Taylor Mead & Bill Rice reminiscing past.
10. "Cousins?" - Alfred Molina & Steve Coogan. I don't know if they're indeed kin, maybe it's script. Anyway, this has good morale of the story.
11. "No Problem" - boring of the bunch. Alex Descas & Isaach De Bankole meet to share news, Alex says it's fine. Isaach seeing his bored face doesn't believe & every once awhile worried "What's the problem?" Alex: "No problem". In the end, Alex got furious & said to quit that rubbish & reiterates there's no problem. To which Isaach grudgingly accepts that his friend is indeed fine. "Well if you're fine,  I'm glad" & leaves the cafe. good background music by Skatalites.

SurfRapGrungeFiend
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #141 on: November 28, 2016, 04:46:18 PM »

Carlitos way

DJ Paul- Hi, I'm Chucky

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: November 28, 2016, 05:02:06 PM »

Who watched Jim Jarmusch film "Coffee & Cigarettes"? You didn't? Do it asap. police It's stylistically beautiful & consists of 11 short films (to quote wiki, "series of vignettes"). It stars many household names - actors & musicians. Cool soundtrack too! It's good start to finish but best to "worst" would be:

1. "Somewhere in California" - good dialog. w/ Tom Waits & Iggy Pop. Iggy seems kinda scared of Tom.
2. "Those Things'll Kill Ya" - again, good dialog. 2 old buddies & teenage boy.
3. "Jack Shows Meg His Tesla Coil" - The White Stripes. Jack brought up Tesla coil to cafe & they discuss what is wrong with it. Meg casually gave the right answer. Speaking of Meg, she was pretty to look at, cute little face. Smiley
4. "Twins" - Steve Buscemi as waiter & 2 black customers (brother-sister).
5. "Strange to Meet You" - the very 1st. Considered bad/boring but I really like it. Roberto Benigni is as usual hilarious. His companion is Steven Wright (btw, these people use their real names & don't change occupation, i.e. Tom Waits is Tom Waits & musician. The Steve Buscemi example may be the single exception)
6. "Delirium" - RZA, GZA & Bill Murray. The rappers recognize him & say sth. like "Are you Groundhog day, ghostbustin' Bill Murray?". Then keep saying "Bill Murray" instead just "Bill". They think he is undercover working at that cafe.
7. "Cousins" - Cate Blanchett showing again what good thespian she is. playing 2 cousins with diff. status that meet finally in the hotel. Cate is famous actress & Shelly is her dark-haired free spirit sister. They both envy each other - Cate because, despite being rich, good family etc., doesn't have free time to live without being recognized in streets. Shelly would like to swap places with her & thinks Cate telling she envies her is just being kind but not sincere. You can see she is bitter about Cate getting spotlight etc.
8. "Renee" - well 1stly, the girl is beautiful. She doesn't say much to waiter but she acts with her facial expressions that she hated him spilling milk to the cup of coffee because 1) she didn't ask & 2) it was the right color & taste before he did it.
9. "Champagne" - the last, considered the best, philosophically or sth. else. 2 old chaps Taylor Mead & Bill Rice reminiscing past.
10. "Cousins?" - Alfred Molina & Steve Coogan. I don't know if they're indeed kin, maybe it's script. Anyway, this has good morale of the story.
11. "No Problem" - boring of the bunch. Alex Descas & Isaach De Bankole meet to share news, Alex says it's fine. Isaach seeing his bored face doesn't believe & every once awhile worried "What's the problem?" Alex: "No problem". In the end, Alex got furious & said to quit that rubbish & reiterates there's no problem. To which Isaach grudgingly accepts that his friend is indeed fine. "Well if you're fine,  I'm glad" & leaves the cafe. good background music by Skatalites.

I've seen it. I admit I don't remember it well--I watched it a long time ago--but I did enjoy the Waits/Pop scene. Then again, I love Tom Waits.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #143 on: November 28, 2016, 05:11:07 PM »

Well, not today, but tomorrow will take advantage of the bad weather to catch a bunch of good movies on the TCM TV network.
On tap: The Man Who Knew Too Much, Suspicion, Strangers on a Train, Dial M for Murder, The Big Clock
Range Rover A1 wish you could be here - to watch the movies and entertain the cats.  Smiley

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #144 on: November 28, 2016, 06:56:18 PM »

2the captain: you'd seen it in its premiere in 2003. Would be interesting to revisit & rank the short 11 films, just for fun? If you like Tom Waits, check the other JJ movie "Down by Law".
2NOLA BB Fan: thanks, if your cats like foreign guests. Wink

NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #145 on: November 28, 2016, 08:44:27 PM »

2NOLA BB Fan: thanks, if your cats like foreign guests. Wink

Yes, they are "sophisticats."
Just bring some string and you'll be their BFF
 Cheesy

KDS
« Reply #146 on: November 30, 2016, 05:51:10 AM »

Cool that you like "Police Academy". It seems like everybody forgot it. Did you know that Steve Guttenberg (with "e") refused to play in "Miami Beach"? They then cast Matt McCoy to play the debonair; in fact Matt's lines in the script were meant to Guttenberg. In interview Steve said he regrets it now but at the time he became well-known & decided to move on with career. He talked about creating "Police Academy 8" but nobody from the old cast agreed to play plus with Bubba Smith (Hightower) passed away who he was friends with it may not be possible (too bad). I wasn't big fan of character "Mahoney" (& Guttenberg) but fun trivia, it could be Bruce Willis or Michael Keaton. Bruce turned it down, thankfully. I'd rather not see his face in any of "Police Academy". Seeing success of 1st movie, think it was Bruce - maybe Keaton too - who said they regretted declining the role. Did you watch the 90s TV series? Is it good as features? I read that except Michael Winslow (Jones) the cast is totally new there.

I actually never saw the 90s TV series.  As big a fan as I was back then, I never knew it existed.  I used to watch the cartoon. 

Guttenburg probably knew the franchise was a sinking ship, so he bailed before #5.  I really think the quality started to plummet after #2.  Nice that they brought GW Bailey back for #4 (which was the vehicle for Brian Wilson's first true single as a solo artist), but it wasn't the same.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #147 on: November 30, 2016, 07:52:20 AM »

I actually never saw the 90s TV series.  As big a fan as I was back then, I never knew it existed.  I used to watch the cartoon. 

Guttenburg probably knew the franchise was a sinking ship, so he bailed before #5.  I really think the quality started to plummet after #2.  Nice that they brought GW Bailey back for #4 (which was the vehicle for Brian Wilson's first true single as a solo artist), but it wasn't the same.
The cartoon was cheap cash-in idea.

From what Guttenberg stated in interviews, he refused to play due to getting busy & taking different en route. I think he simply wanted varied roles & not to be typecast. & Like I said, he regrets it now.

I like the 3rd the best. But yes, I didn't like Art Metrano in 2nd & 3rd films as replacement for Capt. Harris (Bailey). Just not funny & not good team with Proctor (Lance Kinsey). I liked that song way before discovering BBs/BW (2005).

Do you think "Police Academy 8" is worth the time & effort? Guttenberg, actually, the one who brought this plan to the table.

KDS
« Reply #148 on: November 30, 2016, 08:07:17 AM »

I actually never saw the 90s TV series.  As big a fan as I was back then, I never knew it existed.  I used to watch the cartoon.  

Guttenberg probably knew the franchise was a sinking ship, so he bailed before #5.  I really think the quality started to plummet after #2.  Nice that they brought GW Bailey back for #4 (which was the vehicle for Brian Wilson's first true single as a solo artist), but it wasn't the same.
The cartoon was cheap cash-in idea.

From what Guttenberg stated in interviews, he refused to play due to getting busy & taking different en route. I think he simply wanted varied roles & not to be typecast. & Like I said, he regrets it now.

I like the 3rd the best. But yes, I didn't like Art Metrano in 2nd & 3rd films as replacement for Capt. Harris (Bailey). Just not funny & not good team with Proctor (Lance Kinsey). I liked that song way before discovering BBs/BW (2005).

Do you think "Police Academy 8" is worth the time & effort? Guttenberg, actually, the one who brought this plan to the table.

Guttenberg actually did a low budget franchise for Asylum films called Lavatanula, which included Michael Winslow, the actress who played Hooks (her name escapes me), and Leslie Easterbrook.  There were a few sly PA references.  

I don't think PA8 would be a good idea at this point.  George Gaines and Bubba Smith have each passed away.  I doubt they could recapture the feel of those first few movies, which are now 30+ years old.  

On the cartoon, in the late 80s / early 90s, it was very popular to turn hit movies into Saturday morning cartoons.  The most successful was probably The Real Ghostbusters, but there were also cartoons for Beetlejuice, Bill&Ted, Back to the Future, Batman (which had been in the works for awhile, but didn't make it to TV until the hit Tim Burton movies), etc.  Given how vulgar the original PA movie is, it's kinda funny that a kids show was based on the franchise.  
« Last Edit: November 30, 2016, 08:17:02 AM by KDS » Logged
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #149 on: November 30, 2016, 08:21:06 AM »

Guttenberg actually did a low budget franchise for Asylum films called Lavatanula, which included Michael Winslow, the actress who played Hooks (her name escapes me), and Leslie Easterbrook.  There were a few sly PA references. 

I don't think PA8 would be a good idea at this point.  George Gaines and Bubba Smith have each passed away.  I doubt they could recapture the feel of those first few movies, which are now 30+ years old. 

On the cartoon, in the late 80s / early 90s, it was very popular to turn hit movies into Saturday morning cartoons.  The most successful was probably The Real Ghostbusters, but there were also cartoons for Beetlejuice, Bill&Ted, Back to the Future, Batman (which had been in the works for awhile, but didn't make it to TV until the hit Tim Burton movies), etc.  Given how vulgar the original PA movie is, it's kinda funny that a kids show was based on the franchise. 
Don't forget David Graf (Tackleberry), he's dead too. I agree with what you said & the other actors apparently too, they each turned down to reprise their respective roles.

I'll check "Lavatanula". Her name is Marion Ramsey.

Hey, I liked Bill & Ted. Actually, the cartoon was better than the movie. Ditto "Beetlejuice". He was cute in cartoon.
Hm, they did "Back to the Future"? Is it good?
Funny, I didn't like the 1st film much, for many reasons, boring nudity including. Guess I didn't like the beam lights being turned to Mahoney. I don't usually care for "charming debonair" characters but it's no brainer that the main audience digs hero types.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 56   Go Up
Print
Jump to: