-->
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:05:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News: Carnival Of Sound
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  The Smiley Smile Message Board
|-+  Non Smiley Smile Stuff
| |-+  The Sandbox
| | |-+  What are you watching now?/Favourite Movie of the Moment
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 56   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: What are you watching now?/Favourite Movie of the Moment  (Read 443157 times)
bluesno1fann
« on: October 03, 2013, 02:50:06 AM »

For me, it's Monty Python's The Meaning of Life. Such a underrated film, not as good as Life of Brian, and much better than the overrated Holy Grail.

What's your favourite movie at the moment?
« Last Edit: October 29, 2016, 12:29:01 AM by Unreconstructed Wilsonite » Logged
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2013, 08:40:12 AM »

For me, it's Monty Python's The Meaning of Life. Such a underrated film, not as good as Life of Brian, and much better than the overrated Holy Grail.

Meaning Of Life has it's laughs but overall I feel it has too many weak points for me to enjoy it as a whole sadly. Still enjoy it though Wink But yes, Life Of Brian is the best.

But my favourite movie right now? Blazing Saddles. Love it.

Check out the Mono/Stereo Mix Breakdown podcast Mixology here: https://mixology.podbean.com/
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2013, 09:49:02 AM »

Norbit.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
bluesno1fann
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2013, 10:52:41 PM »

Meaning Of Life has it's laughs but overall I feel it has too many weak points for me to enjoy it as a whole sadly. Still enjoy it though Wink But yes, Life Of Brian is the best.

But my favourite movie right now? Blazing Saddles. Love it.
I don't think the Meaning of Life has too many weak points. But that's just my opinion.
What about the Crimson Permanent Assurance?
I also love Blazing Saddles! Another all-time classic
« Last Edit: October 04, 2013, 01:04:40 AM by bluesno1fann » Logged
Amazing Larry
Smiley Smile Associate

There's a new daddy in town...

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2013, 11:26:10 PM »

Gotta be a tie between Purple Rain and The Evil Dead II.

A discipline daddy.
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2013, 10:19:19 AM »

Lost in Translation, just a beautiful film and Bill Murray being awesome.

Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2013, 11:15:45 PM »

I can't get into the Monty Python stuff, it's not lowbrow enough for me.

Favorite two movies of all time would be Smokey & The Bandit, and "Titanic".  Smokey & the Bandit because it's just so funny... I mean Jackie Gleason is a genius, the guy just perfected that character.  I never get tired of it, I've probably seen that movie 200 times.

"Titanic" was great, I grew up interested in the whole story of the ship and remember when they found it.  I think he got the story really right and have to admit the romance element of it really gets to me.  Lots of little touches that were done right all through the movie... I can't remember enjoying a movie more than that.
bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2013, 11:19:04 PM »

hunt for red October, titanic and The Shawshank Redemption..

RB
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2013, 11:24:04 PM »

I guess we turned this into 'greatest of all time' but I'm not sure what he meant by favorite at the moment. 

Shawshank Redemption does stand up there.  I'm a big Stephen King fan, that's probably one of his best.  It'd be hard to make an argument for better movie that he wrote.
bluesno1fann
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2013, 11:24:54 PM »

I can't get into the Monty Python stuff, it's not lowbrow enough for me.

Favorite two movies of all time would be Smokey & The Bandit, and "Titanic".  Smokey & the Bandit because it's just so funny... I mean Jackie Gleason is a genius, the guy just perfected that character.  I never get tired of it, I've probably seen that movie 200 times.

"Titanic" was great, I grew up interested in the whole story of the ship and remember when they found it.  I think he got the story really right and have to admit the romance element of it really gets to me.  Lots of little touches that were done right all through the movie... I can't remember enjoying a movie more than that.
The 1997 Titanic was brilliant, there's no doubting that. Having watched that at a young age, it got me into Ocean Liners. Now I have a soft spot for ships.
But the 1997 Titanic wasn't even the best Titanic movie! LOL!
The best one would be 1958's "A Night To Remember". I suggest you check that out. It may be in black and white, and it may not have as good special effects, but it's a fucking good film!
bluesno1fann
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2013, 11:31:05 PM »

I guess we turned this into 'greatest of all time' but I'm not sure what he meant by favorite at the moment. 

Shawshank Redemption does stand up there.  I'm a big Stephen King fan, that's probably one of his best.  It'd be hard to make an argument for better movie that he wrote.
I love Shawshank Redemption! One of my all-time favourite movies. But I prefer The Green Mile just a little bit more. There's something about the Green Mile which makes it a bit better than Shawshank.

And yes, this topic isn't supposed to be your favourite movie of all-time, or the greatest film of all time.
I meant you favourite movie at the moment. The movie you like the most at the moment
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2013, 11:49:58 PM »

I'm not really a good judge on King's classic stuff (he's a little too political for me now)... because I like all of it.  Christine is great, I love classic cars and grew up with that movie.  "The Shining" is phenomenal.  The Green Mile is great, Shawshank is great, but I like all the stuff like Night Shift too.  So I'm sure I like them more than most average people. 

To be honest, I enjoy about any movie.  Even movies people say are bad I generally like.  There's some movies I just won't watch because I'm not interested (like Twlight and all that crap) but just about any movie that seems mildly interesting I usually enjoy.
bluesno1fann
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2013, 07:27:11 PM »

I'm not really a good judge on King's classic stuff (he's a little too political for me now)... because I like all of it.  Christine is great, I love classic cars and grew up with that movie.  "The Shining" is phenomenal.  The Green Mile is great, Shawshank is great, but I like all the stuff like Night Shift too.  So I'm sure I like them more than most average people. 

To be honest, I enjoy about any movie.  Even movies people say are bad I generally like.  There's some movies I just won't watch because I'm not interested (like Twlight and all that crap) but just about any movie that seems mildly interesting I usually enjoy.
I agree. And of course, Twilight is one of the worst films of all time  Grin
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2014, 03:39:08 AM »

Sorry, but all those Kings films except "The Shining" I find extremely boring. "The Green Mile" could help to cure insomnia, f.ex., just switch it on & it works from the start. Your eyes are closing & you start yawning. I don't care if the film contains important message etc., the cast is not my favorite. Can't say anything good about "Christine", either, if only for the tame storyline.
Off the memory, my favorite King movies are "The Langoliers", "Desperation" (Ron Perlman is one cool guy!), "Dolores Claiborne" (just because Kathy Bates is so awesome), "It" (I like horrors about clowns), TV mini-series "Rose Red", "Riding the Bullet" (the soundtrack is great! I liked the use of The Zombies' Time of Season), "Cujo" (not a big dogs fan but this is such an impressive movie. Turn the lights off & it's even more fantastic), "Cat's Eye" (I love cats, so watching my favorite animal winning some vicious gnome at the end did enough for me) & "Needful Things" (I reckon its plot to be one of the most original in the horror genre. Not the usual vampire/ghost/werewolf thing. And Max son Sydow totally ruled!).

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
bluesno1fann
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2014, 03:46:46 AM »

my favourites at the moment are Carrie (original) and A Fish Called Wanda.

How are those Stephen King movies boring RangeRoverA1? Shawshank Redemption is amazing, it's one film I can watch over and over again without getting sick of it, regardless of length!
« Last Edit: January 28, 2014, 03:52:47 AM by Maybe I DON'T Know?! » Logged
Blue2013
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2014, 03:54:52 AM »

The Blues Brothers   Afro
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2014, 04:22:20 AM »

my favourites at the moment are Carrie (original)

How are those Stephen King movies boring? Shawshank Redemption is amazing, it's one film I can watch over and over again without getting sick of it, regardless of length!
Wow, totally forgot about "Carrie"! Sissy Spacek is an amazing actress, dug her in the Loretta Lynn biopic too, where she showed not only her acting skills, but also singing! I read in her Imdb that she actually auditioned for some records company sending them her demo & she had the same voice as Loretta! Interesting detail. Anyway, back to "Carrie" you rightly emphasized the original, as the other 2-3 were total trainwrecks. I generally don't favor the whole movie-remaking trend. Are there no ideas around? Plenty, just get the imagination & make it real.

Well, let's agree to disagree on "Shawshank...", can't stand it. Btw, have you seen any of the other Steve King films? Maybe the ones I've mentioned or "Misery", "Secret Window" (in words of Johnny Depp, he based his character on Brian Wilson - you know, that myth about him leading reclusive life for 3 years), "1408", "The Mangler" (which I also kinda enjoyed), "Salem's Lot", "Hearts in Atlantis"?
AS for "Titanic", it's highly overrated, but that's not to blame the actors, I quite liked the cast, in fact. It's just the extreme popularity & talks about it at the time that its effect faded after the 2nd watching or so.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
bluesno1fann
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2014, 04:47:11 AM »

my favourites at the moment are Carrie (original)

How are those Stephen King movies boring? Shawshank Redemption is amazing, it's one film I can watch over and over again without getting sick of it, regardless of length!
Wow, totally forgot about "Carrie"! Sissy Spacek is an amazing actress, dug her in the Loretta Lynn biopic too, where she showed not only her acting skills, but also singing! I read in her Imdb that she actually auditioned for some records company sending them her demo & she had the same voice as Loretta! Interesting detail. Anyway, back to "Carrie" you rightly emphasized the original, as the other 2-3 were total trainwrecks. I generally don't favor the whole movie-remaking trend. Are there no ideas around? Plenty, just get the imagination & make it real.

Well, let's agree to disagree on "Shawshank...", can't stand it. Btw, have you seen any of the other Steve King films? Maybe the ones I've mentioned or "Misery", "Secret Window" (in words of Johnny Depp, he based his character on Brian Wilson - you know, that myth about him leading reclusive life for 3 years), "1408", "The Mangler" (which I also kinda enjoyed), "Salem's Lot", "Hearts in Atlantis"?
AS for "Titanic", it's highly overrated, but that's not to blame the actors, I quite liked the cast, in fact. It's just the extreme popularity & talks about it at the time that its effect faded after the 2nd watching or so.

Yeah, Carrie's an amazing film! The remake isn't too bad, but it's nothing compared to the original. Piper Laurie is a brilliant actress too, and actually creeped me out when I first saw it. I've seen bits of Misery, not the whole film, but not the other's you mentioned. I'll check them out.

As for Titanic, I'm a bit over it, but you must give A Night To Remember a try! It is the best Titanic film ever made, and the main character's the second officer, not some fictional character made for a love story. Titanic doesn't split in two in that film, but because it was made in 1958 and the wreck was discovered in 1985 which revealed that it split in two, they didn't know back then. So that can be excused. SOS Titanic from 1979 is the first one in colour, but it's crap. Titanic from 1996 starring Catherine Zeta-Jones, George C. Scott, Tim Curry, etc. isn't too bad, but very historically inaccurate. The 1953 Titanic is all-right at best, it has a young Robert Wagner, but I wouldn't reccomend it. The 1943 Titanic made in Nazi Germany I haven't got a chance to see yet, or any other Titanic film before that. The 2012 TV Miniseries isn't too bad, but it could have been better.

If you're sick of the 1997 Titanic, fair enough. But please check out A Night To Remember, I promise you won't regret it!
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2014, 05:08:43 AM »

As for Titanic, I'm a bit over it, but you must give A Night To Remember a try! It is the best Titanic film ever made, and the main character's the second officer, not some fictional character made for a love story. Titanic doesn't split in two in that film, but because it was made in 1958 and the wreck was discovered in 1985 which revealed that it split in two, they didn't know back then. So that can be excused. SOS Titanic from 1979 is the first one in colour, but it's crap. Titanic from 1996 starring Catherine Zeta-Jones, George C. Scott, Tim Curry, etc. isn't too bad, but very historically inaccurate. The 1953 Titanic is all-right at best, it has a young Robert Wagner, but I wouldn't reccomend it. The 1943 Titanic made in Nazi Germany I haven't got a chance to see yet, or any other Titanic film before that. The 2012 TV Miniseries isn't too bad, but it could have been better.

please check out A Night To Remember, I promise you won't regret it!
Not familiar with any of those "Titanic" versions, but now you've mentioned it, I saw the 1996 one and as I remember, I liked the main heroine there more than Kate Winslet's. Forgot her name, it's not Zeta-Jones. Okay, I'll take your word & check "A Night to Remember". Semi-related question: Have you heard of "Britannic", a 2000 movie & if so, do you know if it tells the story of Titanic just titled differently? I ask it coz you seem like an expert in all this sinking ship cinema.

bluesno1fann
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2014, 05:24:27 AM »

please check out A Night To Remember, I promise you won't regret it!
Not familiar with any of those "Titanic" versions, but now you've mentioned it, I saw the 1996 one and as I remember, I liked the main heroine there more than Kate Winslet's. Forgot her name, it's not Zeta-Jones. Okay, I'll take your word & check "A Night to Remember". Semi-related question: Have you heard of "Britannic", a 2000 movie & if so, do you know if it tells the story of Titanic just titled differently? I ask it coz you seem like an expert in all this sinking ship cinema.

No, it's definitely Zeta-Jones:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Titanic_(1996_TV_miniseries)

In the 1900's, the White Star Line commissioned a trio of ships to compete with the Cunard Line's new super-liners the Lusitania and Mauritania. They were to be the Olympic-class Ocean Liners, and at the time they were the largest ships ever made and they were the most luxurious (though the Cunard liners were still faster).
The first ship, Olympic, was the most successful. She served a long and successful career and was scrapped in 1935.
The second is the world-famous Titanic. Of course I don't have to tell you about what happened to the Titanic.
The third ship was called the Britannic. She never saw service as a passenger liner, as she was still being built when WWI started. She became a Hospital Ship. In 1916, she hit a mine and she actually sank much quicker than the Titanic, though only 30 people died, and that was due to being chopped up by the propellers like in the film. It helped that there were no patients on board at the time. She was the largest ship sunk in WWI.

The 2000 film on Britannic is very good, I quite enjoyed that. But it's worth noting that all the characters, other than the Captain, are fictional, and there was no German spy onboard or no sabotage. Purely a work of good fiction for entertainment.
G.C
« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2014, 06:33:57 AM »

Rope
bluesno1fann
« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2014, 02:13:56 AM »

Rope

Haven't had the chance to check it out, though I am familiar with quite a few Hitchcock films.
My favourite Hitchcock films would have to be Rear Window, North By Northwest and Vertigo. Though I also love The Wrong Man, Psycho, and the underrated Frenzy
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2014, 06:31:27 AM »

Re the 1996 "Titanic": I'm aware of Zeta-Jones playing there, I referred to another actress. As I haven't seen this film for ages, I went to the Imdb & found out she played some Irish girl, her name is Sonsee Ahray. Can't tell anything about the plot, though, the only excerpt I remember is when the Tim Curry character made several attempts at throwing the girl off the boat. Anyway, thanks for your thorough info on the subject.

Re: "Rope" (& other Hitchcock films), you won't lose much from not seeing it. Short description: some guys full of themselves suddenly saw fit in treating others godlike, thus killing their comrade & further arranging some party in no less but around the place where they hid him. So stupid, you can easily predict the body was found etc.
I agree on "Rear Window" & "North by Northwest", they're terrific stories, esp. the latter - very adventurous, plus I liked the background music. Did you know that the script of "...Northwest" was handed 1st to James Stewart & that he really wanted to get the leading role? Hitchcock was dissatisfied by James' previous work ("Vertigo", if I recall), so he chose Cary Grant. In hindsight, that was the right decision; I think he handled the role perfectly. And overall, I just dislike Stewart's acting. I liked "Rear Window" for the unusual story & Stella, the old service lady. My favorite bit is when she funnily said, "He dug her in the garden scaterring her body around" or sth. to the effect. Another fave when Grace Kelly's character had the guts to enter the killer's house through the window, while Stella sought the corpse in the garden.

Other Hitchcock movies I enjoyed are "The Man Who Knew Too Much" (the older 1934 version, not with Doris Day) & "The Birds" (well, half of it, to be accurate). I've yet to see a dozen of his films, so my list is small. Now, getting back to the horror territory, what would you recommend me in checking out of this genre? The 40s-50-s-60s, from all the decades, what horror films you found the most scary/mystic? Thanks.

Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2014, 10:38:47 AM »

Sorry, but all those Kings films except "The Shining" I find extremely boring. "The Green Mile" could help to cure insomnia, f.ex., just switch it on & it works from the start. Your eyes are closing & you start yawning. I don't care if the film contains important message etc., the cast is not my favorite. Can't say anything good about "Christine", either, if only for the tame storyline.
Off the memory, my favorite King movies are "The Langoliers", "Desperation" (Ron Perlman is one cool guy!), "Dolores Claiborne" (just because Kathy Bates is so awesome), "It" (I like horrors about clowns), TV mini-series "Rose Red", "Riding the Bullet" (the soundtrack is great! I liked the use of The Zombies' Time of Season), "Cujo" (not a big dogs fan but this is such an impressive movie. Turn the lights off & it's even more fantastic), "Cat's Eye" (I love cats, so watching my favorite animal winning some vicious gnome at the end did enough for me) & "Needful Things" (I reckon its plot to be one of the most original in the horror genre. Not the usual vampire/ghost/werewolf thing. And Max son Sydow totally ruled!).

The problem with most Stephen King films are that they are made by his good friend Mick Garris (often for tv). Garris is a screamingly mediocre director who doesn't dare to make cinematic changes to the source material.

Great Stephen King films
'Salem's Lot - Tobe Hooper's one great film outside of TCM. Very creepy for a tv movie.
The Shining - A flawed masterpiece, it's biggest flaw being that it's hard to appreciate Jack Torrance going mad when Nicholson is portraying him as a grinning loon from the start.
Shawshank Redemption
Misery
Cat's Eyes - esp the Quitters Inc. story.
Creepshow
IT - well, until the awful, none moving spider pops up.
Dolores Clairborne - the film is much better then the actual book
Apt Pupil - this one is very overlooked.

Also it may be the furthest thing from great but I heartily recommended Maximum Overdrive which King himself directed. It gets trashed but the first 30 minutes or so are very entertaining.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
bluesno1fann
« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2014, 01:42:41 PM »

Re the 1996 "Titanic": I'm aware of Zeta-Jones playing there, I referred to another actress. As I haven't seen this film for ages, I went to the Imdb & found out she played some Irish girl, her name is Sonsee Ahray. Can't tell anything about the plot, though, the only excerpt I remember is when the Tim Curry character made several attempts at throwing the girl off the boat. Anyway, thanks for your thorough info on the subject.

Re: "Rope" (& other Hitchcock films), you won't lose much from not seeing it. Short description: some guys full of themselves suddenly saw fit in treating others godlike, thus killing their comrade & further arranging some party in no less but around the place where they hid him. So stupid, you can easily predict the body was found etc.
I agree on "Rear Window" & "North by Northwest", they're terrific stories, esp. the latter - very adventurous, plus I liked the background music. Did you know that the script of "...Northwest" was handed 1st to James Stewart & that he really wanted to get the leading role? Hitchcock was dissatisfied by James' previous work ("Vertigo", if I recall), so he chose Cary Grant. In hindsight, that was the right decision; I think he handled the role perfectly. And overall, I just dislike Stewart's acting. I liked "Rear Window" for the unusual story & Stella, the old service lady. My favorite bit is when she funnily said, "He dug her in the garden scaterring her body around" or sth. to the effect. Another fave when Grace Kelly's character had the guts to enter the killer's house through the window, while Stella sought the corpse in the garden.

Other Hitchcock movies I enjoyed are "The Man Who Knew Too Much" (the older 1934 version, not with Doris Day) & "The Birds" (well, half of it, to be accurate). I've yet to see a dozen of his films, so my list is small. Now, getting back to the horror territory, what would you recommend me in checking out of this genre? The 40s-50-s-60s, from all the decades, what horror films you found the most scary/mystic? Thanks.

To be perfectly honest, I'm not very familiar with Horror movies, especially the older kind with very few exceptions. You might want to ask someone else about that
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 56   Go Up
Print
Jump to: