-->
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 12:06:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News: Endless Summer Quarterly
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  The Smiley Smile Message Board
|-+  Non Smiley Smile Stuff
| |-+  The Sandbox
| | |-+  What are you watching now?/Favourite Movie of the Moment
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 30 31 32 [33] 34 35 36 37 38 ... 56   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: What are you watching now?/Favourite Movie of the Moment  (Read 443378 times)
KDS
« Reply #800 on: May 22, 2018, 05:07:49 AM »

The reason I dubbed it "stupid" is why it's created at all? Can't people - you, for example - laugh at characters' lines without this "laugh help"? It doesn't make sense, you see.

The laughter goes back to the early days of TV when shows were actually broadcast live with a studio audience.   Now, why the laughs have remained, I don't know. 
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #801 on: May 22, 2018, 05:18:19 AM »

I got it, I'm not stupid. Again, the question was & is why it's created in the 1st place? The single reason I can say why is what I said before - to help people to see when characters say funny things.  But, it doesn't make sense as people can recognize if & when sth. is funny without smb. doing the laugh. Then why exactly it's created? Will you answer now?

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."

View Profile
« Reply #802 on: May 22, 2018, 05:47:25 AM »

That's a good question - why the canned laughter? I've never liked it. I can only surmise that it's an attempt by the powers that be to tell viewers "you might not think so but this really is funny!" Like there's something wrong with you in thinking the jokes are lame. I tried sitting through an episode of one of the most popular TV comedies presently - Big Bang Theory . Call me a Grumpy Gussie, but I didn't as much as crack a smile but that laugh track was going bananas.

"No White Flags." - Team Gleason

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon

"The best thing you can be 'like' in music is yourself." Dr. John
Gettin Hungry
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #803 on: May 22, 2018, 07:26:32 AM »

I think the reason the laugh track was created was 1) to give the illusion that the show was filmed in front of a live studio audience and 2) because the show creators didn't trust the audience to catch the punchlines. Yes, it's stupid and seems dated now, but it's there because they think WE"RE stupid.
KDS
« Reply #804 on: May 22, 2018, 09:22:04 AM »

I got it, I'm not stupid. Again, the question was & is why it's created in the 1st place? The single reason I can say why is what I said before - to help people to see when characters say funny things.  But, it doesn't make sense as people can recognize if & when sth. is funny without smb. doing the laugh. Then why exactly it's created? Will you answer now?

Did I say you were stupid?  No.   

I simply gave the origins of the laugh track, and stated that I'm not sure why it exists to this day.     

So, I have no answer. 
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #805 on: May 22, 2018, 06:49:02 PM »

I think the idea that studio audiences are there to coerce the audience into laughing is a somewhat false belief that probably even some studio execs hold.

Perhaps consider it this way. There are currently many, many stand up comedy specials available on Netflix. Now imagine how they might work if there was no audience in those shows. Whatever thought you just had in your head about how they might work is probably what many performers over the years thought when they considers their own comedy shows without an audience.
KDS
« Reply #806 on: May 25, 2018, 05:13:17 AM »

I think the idea that studio audiences are there to coerce the audience into laughing is a somewhat false belief that probably even some studio execs hold.

I tend to hear that false belief cited by people who think that sitcoms are the lowest form of TV entertainment.   Usually followed by something like "the jokes aren't funny, but there's laughter there, so the audience is tricked into laughing at dumb jokes." 
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #807 on: May 27, 2018, 07:30:22 AM »

Next question to KDS - whose bio do you think could be interesting film, yet nobody picked it to the screen? Beatles/ BBs/ Holly/ Lynn/ Cash/ Doors/ Valli... Who should else get movie deal?

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
KDS
« Reply #808 on: May 29, 2018, 05:48:04 AM »

Next question to KDS - whose bio do you think could be interesting film, yet nobody picked it to the screen? Beatles/ BBs/ Holly/ Lynn/ Cash/ Doors/ Valli... Who should else get movie deal?

I think a Syd Barrett (Pink Floyd) biopic would make a very good movie. 

There have been several movies about The Beatles over the years, but I'm a little surprised nobody has attempted a straight biopic about the band. 

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #809 on: May 29, 2018, 03:31:43 PM »

Syd Barrett, check. Who else? Anybody living you'd list?

Every Beatles film is laughably bad. It's funny the way they cast people who bear zero resemblance to Paul, John, everybody else in Beatles saga. Especially annoyed by "Backbeat" - why make movie centered around some guy they played with in Hamburg? Stu Sutcliffe should be forgotten, he's not important. Ditto types like Astrid Kirchherr & Klaus Voormann. They're big nuisance, should retrieve back & keep silence. Instead, everytime there's buzz around Beatles, they fly there to talk about it. Voormann even ridiculously got to be in John's band. They use Beatles to get attention.

KDS
« Reply #810 on: May 30, 2018, 05:54:23 AM »

Syd Barrett, check. Who else? Anybody living you'd list?

Every Beatles film is laughably bad. It's funny the way they cast people who bear zero resemblance to Paul, John, everybody else in Beatles saga. Especially annoyed by "Backbeat" - why make movie centered around some guy they played with in Hamburg? Stu Sutcliffe should be forgotten, he's not important. Ditto types like Astrid Kirchherr & Klaus Voormann. They're big nuisance, should retrieve back & keep silence. Instead, everytime there's buzz around Beatles, they fly there to talk about it. Voormann even ridiculously got to be in John's band. They use Beatles to get attention.

I'll respectfully disagree as Stuart Sutcliffe was a member of history's greatest rock band during the early days at the Star Club.  So, I think that's an important part of the Beatles story.   Plus, Astrid was responsible for the famous "mop top" look.   Also, Klaus designed the Revolver album cover. 

Living musicians?  I think Ozzy Osbourne would be an interesting one.   I know back during the height of the early 00s Osbournes craze, there was talk of a biopic.   

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #811 on: May 31, 2018, 09:55:03 PM »

Haircuts, photographs she took isn't big deal by my estimation. Don't give care about album art designs either. It goes for every band/ singer. This chapter, Hamburg days, isn't important in Beatles history, except the songs they sang during that time & few bootlegs documenting it. There's interesting people in Beatles history but definitely not Stu, Astrid & Klaus. Besides, as I said, Astrid & Klaus use Beatles as vehicle for their names to be widely recognized. You're fine with it. But not me.

Ozzy would be cool film. Who'd you like to see as him?
Next - Which film depicts American history well, isn't made-up tale? F.ex. in "Lincoln" the leading character is British. "Pearl Harbor" everybody says is laughable than heroic film about this time in the U.S.

KDS
« Reply #812 on: June 01, 2018, 06:01:05 AM »

Haircuts, photographs she took isn't big deal by my estimation. Don't give care about album art designs either. It goes for every band/ singer. This chapter, Hamburg days, isn't important in Beatles history, except the songs they sang during that time & few bootlegs documenting it. There's interesting people in Beatles history but definitely not Stu, Astrid & Klaus. Besides, as I said, Astrid & Klaus use Beatles as vehicle for their names to be widely recognized. You're fine with it. But not me.

Ozzy would be cool film. Who'd you like to see as him?
Next - Which film depicts American history well, isn't made-up tale? F.ex. in "Lincoln" the leading character is British. "Pearl Harbor" everybody says is laughable than heroic film about this time in the U.S.

You're in the minority in your opinions of Sutcliffe, Voorman, and Astrid.   There are a lot of players in the Beatles history, and each of those three played a part. 

I'm not sure how would make a good Ozzy.   Due to Ozzy's personna, it would be difficult for an actor to play him without it coming off as a parody.

Pearl Harbor is a dreadful movie.   It was a lame attempt by Michael Bay to try to copy the formula from Titanic.  Take a major event in history, and put a love story around it.  A far far superior movie about Pearl Harbor is the 1970 film Tora Tora Tora.   

Another good historical movie is The Longest Day.   

While not in the same league at the Pearl Harbor invasion or D-Day, the 1916 New Jersey shark attacks are significant and provided the inspiration for Jaws.   There was a low budget movie called 12 Days of Terror, which is actually quite good, and mostly accurate, except for the tacked on climax at the end. 
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #813 on: June 01, 2018, 03:48:51 PM »

There are a lot of players in the Beatles history, and each of those three played a part
Very insignificant part. If you take away Stu, Astrid, Klaus, Beatles would still be popular, legendary, you name it, due to their individual talents & collective musicianship. If not "mop top", there'd be sth. else. Hairstyle is trifle anyway.

Pearl Harbor is a dreadful movie.   It was a lame attempt by Michael Bay to try to copy the formula from Titanic.  Take a major event in history, and put a love story around it.
Agree, extremely lame.

Thanks to recommends. Soon summer. Will it be "summer playlist" DVD time or will it be just seeing TV films/ series?

KDS
« Reply #814 on: June 04, 2018, 05:35:33 AM »

There are a lot of players in the Beatles history, and each of those three played a part
Very insignificant part. If you take away Stu, Astrid, Klaus, Beatles would still be popular, legendary, you name it, due to their individual talents & collective musicianship. If not "mop top", there'd be sth. else. Hairstyle is trifle anyway.

Pearl Harbor is a dreadful movie.   It was a lame attempt by Michael Bay to try to copy the formula from Titanic.  Take a major event in history, and put a love story around it.
Agree, extremely lame.

Thanks to recommends. Soon summer. Will it be "summer playlist" DVD time or will it be just seeing TV films/ series?

We'll have to agree to disagree about the roles of those Beatles players, especially Stu Sutcliffe. 

With the baby, it'll be difficult to actually watch movies on our usual summer playlist, which mainly consists of lighter 80s summer comedies like One Crazy Summer and Weekend at Bernie's, but I think we'll try our best to find time to watch the 1985 summer classic Summer Rental. 
Gettin Hungry
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #815 on: June 05, 2018, 10:26:06 AM »

This week I finally got around to seeing The Shape of Water and Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri. Both were quite good, though the general plot of The Shape of Water was a bit predictable. Great set design and special effects carry it past that one drawback. I really liked Three Billboards. I'm a sucker for dark comedy. 
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #816 on: June 05, 2018, 03:45:28 PM »

With the baby, it'll be difficult to actually watch movies on our usual summer playlist, which mainly consists of lighter 80s summer comedies like One Crazy Summer and Weekend at Bernie's, but I think we'll try our best to find time to watch the 1985 summer classic Summer Rental. 
I see.

Next question - which film in film examples can you bring? It can be smb. telling story ("Tales From The Dark Side"), film characters acting in stage play ("Opening Night"), people in the film watching film which adds to the plot ("Jurrasic Park", Dr. presents short film about dinosaurs). Character's "flashback story about my past" excepted.

KDS
« Reply #817 on: June 06, 2018, 06:10:55 AM »

I see.

Next question - which film in film examples can you bring? It can be smb. telling story ("Tales From The Dark Side"), film characters acting in stage play ("Opening Night"), people in the film watching film which adds to the plot ("Jurrasic Park", Dr. presents short film about dinosaurs). Character's "flashback story about my past" excepted.

There's a running gag in the comedy One Crazy Summer about the movie "FOAM," a Jaws esque movie about a New England resort town being attacked by a rabid dolphin. 
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #818 on: June 06, 2018, 06:52:23 AM »

Is that it? Next - which films do you tend to like - fantasy or casual people in casual environment?

KDS
« Reply #819 on: June 07, 2018, 05:38:05 AM »

Is that it? Next - which films do you tend to like - fantasy or casual people in casual environment?

By casual people, do you mean movies more based in reality? 

I'm not a huge fan of fantasy films.   ie. Lord of the Rings holds no interest.   I usually don't care for films about witchcraft.   I do like some supernatural horror, and movies with dinosaurs.   

Plus, Ghostbusters is my second favorite movie of all time, so I suppose there's some fantasy in there.   

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #820 on: June 07, 2018, 05:50:43 AM »

Yes; phrasing isn't strong suit. Is your 1st favorite based in reality?

I read curious thing about books, that sometimes readers send ideas to the writers. Do you think people should pitch their stories to the directors too? Would you like it/ no, it's bad?

KDS
« Reply #821 on: June 07, 2018, 06:13:12 AM »

Yes; phrasing isn't strong suit. Is your 1st favorite based in reality?

I read curious thing about books, that sometimes readers send ideas to the writers. Do you think people should pitch their stories to the directors too? Would you like it/ no, it's bad?

My first is Jaws, which is mostly based in reality.   

There are plenty of screenwriters who pitch their ideas to movie studios, more so than pitching to directors.  So, it makes sense considering that a movie deal could be more lucrative than a book deal.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #822 on: June 07, 2018, 06:34:09 AM »

I meant casual viewers, brought example with book readers. What do you think if just ANYbody could send their scenarios to studios/ directors/ whoever in film industry, since lotta new movies lack good plot/ boring retreads. That's the question.

KDS
« Reply #823 on: June 07, 2018, 07:03:15 AM »

I meant casual viewers, brought example with book readers. What do you think if just ANYbody could send their scenarios to studios/ directors/ whoever in film industry, since lotta new movies lack good plot/ boring retreads. That's the question.

That does happen to a degree.   Especially with independent films.   There was a time when Kevin Smith was just "anybody."   But, he sold his comic book collection to make the movie Clerks. 

You'll continue to see that kind of grass roots thing in independent films, especially as distributing movies to streaming services instead of theaters becomes more acceptable.   Mainstream Hollywood is too enamored with recycling old ideas at this time. 
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #824 on: June 07, 2018, 07:39:53 AM »

"Clerks" shouldn't be made.
What's your bottom line - like/ dislike the idea? You didn't tell.

Do you like whodunits? Spaghetti westerns? Film noir? Name best film for 3 named categories.

Pages: 1 ... 28 29 30 31 32 [33] 34 35 36 37 38 ... 56   Go Up
Print
Jump to: