-->
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
February 18, 2018, 12:39:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News: Beach Boys Britain
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  The Smiley Smile Message Board
|-+  Non Smiley Smile Stuff
| |-+  The Sandbox
| | |-+  What are you watching now?/Favourite Movie of the Moment
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 22 23 24 [25]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: What are you watching now?/Favourite Movie of the Moment  (Read 55479 times)
KDS
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #600 on: February 06, 2018, 09:40:07 AM »

Speaking of sharks, one of the most famous scenes involving a reference / tribute to another film is probably in Jaws.  As Roy Schieder's character sits on the beach, watching a boy get attacked by a shark, the camera does the push / pull effect that Hitchcock made famous in Vertigo.  Spielberg has said that was a tribute to Hitchcock.
It's interesting example you brought - camera effects re-used by new director in new film (in this case, new in relation to Hitch).

In "Secret Window", Johnny Depp's character's name is Norman. It's less popular name & since it's suspense, I regard it as "Psycho" ref.

That's the only one I can recall off hand, but I know there are a ton of references / tributes throughout movies that are played for laughs.
But my question is about serious refs/ tributes. Usually used in the same genre film (suspense refs in suspense movie, old horror movie refs in new horror movie...) as director displaying (subtly) he's fan to the past director.

Sorry that was a typo.   I meant to say there are a lot of references / tributes that aren't played for laughs. 

Example, John Carpenter's Halloween was one of the first to show the killer's point of view.  It only took two years for the original Friday the 13th to copy that. 

Any opinions posted by me regarding the music of The Beach Boys, and their members, is in no way a show of disrespect towards any member of The Beach Boys, past or present.

"There is no right nor wrong in art, only preference." - Steve Desper
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 22 23 24 [25]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: