-->
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 04:44:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News: peteramescarlin.com
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  The Smiley Smile Message Board
|-+  Non Smiley Smile Stuff
| |-+  The Sandbox
| | |-+  What are you watching now?/Favourite Movie of the Moment
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 45 46 47 [48] 49 50 51 52 53 ... 56   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: What are you watching now?/Favourite Movie of the Moment  (Read 448658 times)
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #1175 on: October 02, 2018, 10:09:01 AM »

Some people in movie discussions elsewhere stated that Tim Robbins shone just in single film, "in dat Stephen King movie". Is it true? Will you agree/ disagree with it?

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
KDS
« Reply #1176 on: October 02, 2018, 10:14:09 AM »

Some people in movie discussions elsewhere stated that Tim Robbins shone just in single film, "in dat Stephen King movie". Is it true? Will you agree/ disagree with it?

I thought Tim Robbins was great in Bull Durham and Jacob's Ladder also.   So, I can't agree that he only shone in one single film.   
B.E.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1177 on: October 02, 2018, 12:21:28 PM »

I thought Tim Robbins was great in Bull Durham and Jacob's Ladder also.   So, I can't agree that he only shone in one single film.   

I'm a big fan of Tim Robbins' role in War of the Worlds (2005). I don't want to spoil it, but I thought the whole section of that movie where Tim Robbins takes in Tom Cruise and Dakota Fanning was really well done. There's even a prominent Beach Boys reference.

Every wave is new until it breaks.
KDS
« Reply #1178 on: October 02, 2018, 12:23:41 PM »

I'm a big fan of Tim Robbins' role in War of the Worlds (2005). I don't want to spoil it, but I thought the whole section of that movie where Tim Robbins takes in Tom Cruise and Dakota Fanning was really well done. There's even a prominent Beach Boys reference.

I completely forgot about that.   That movie sort of got flogged because of Cruise, but I thought it was a really good movie
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1179 on: October 02, 2018, 03:37:04 PM »

Next pair - Tim Daly or Ron Perlman? Choose & explain choice.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1180 on: October 03, 2018, 06:04:04 AM »

I'd like to ask KDS - do you not see the question? Can't you click Sandbox to check new reply in Movies? It's like if you don't see it in the main Smiley page, Info Center, you quickly assume no new replies.

Anyhoo, to answer question - easily Ron Perlman. He plays villains really well. F.ex. "Desperation". Tim Daly isn't very interesting acting-wise.
Well? Your turn, KDS.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2018, 06:05:08 AM by RangeRoverA1 » Logged

KDS
« Reply #1181 on: October 03, 2018, 09:19:58 AM »

I'd like to ask KDS - do you not see the question? Can't you click Sandbox to check new reply in Movies? It's like if you don't see it in the main Smiley page, Info Center, you quickly assume no new replies.

Anyhoo, to answer question - easily Ron Perlman. He plays villains really well. F.ex. "Desperation". Tim Daly isn't very interesting acting-wise.
Well? Your turn, KDS.

I didn't get into Smiley Smile until just now.   I'd appreciate your not assuming my internet habits.   I apologize if I didn't recognize the urgency of your question.   
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1182 on: October 03, 2018, 11:21:23 AM »

For some reason, people nearly everytime get annoyed by this inoffensive question. I'll never know why...

Anyway, back to movie discussion - who you choose - Tim Daly or Ron Perlman? Explain the choice. I think it's fun to pit 2 actors against each other. Kinda like that tournament game at PS when 2 songs get pittied (pitted?) against.

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1183 on: October 08, 2018, 02:03:19 PM »

Recently seen "Rear Window" in DVD. It brought back its discussions in Imdb threads. Many casually called James Stewart "Jimmy", "Jim". Why? There isn't any actor I'd seen whose name would be commonly shortened by people (save when actor's short/ endearing name is used officially). I'd like to know why exactly James gets such special treatment when there's many actors people praise, f.ex. Paul Newman, yet you don't see people famously calling him "Paulie", Montgomery Clift - "Montgo", James Dean - Jim, Richard Dreyfuss - Rich, Diane Keaton - D, Robert Redford - Robbie etc. Can anybody answer the question?

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1184 on: October 11, 2018, 05:00:20 PM »

"Mouchette", 1967 b&w French film showed today in local Culture channel which Jim Jarmusch cited in amongst his numerous favorites. About girl living in poor fam, teased at school due to poor dress & various things like this. 3.5/5, maybe 4.

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1185 on: October 24, 2018, 08:03:45 PM »

Real tough question in Reply #1182 that KDS can't answer it whole 3 weeks. *facepalm*

Back to topic - "Ventsenosnaya Semya", Russian 2000 film about Romanovs' last few yrs since abdicatioin. I didn't yet check "Nicholas & Alexandra". I didn't like Nikolai II in VS. The actress playing Alexandra made her real pain in the neck. It annoys to no end seeing actors bearing zero resemblance with people they play. & as usual, I despise melancholic piano-based scores. Hate Russian "romance" genre songs. I did like that each grand duchess had lines, seemed to be fleshed out rather than background voiceless figures to add authenticity. & villains did look like villains as they should. 2/5.

NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."

View Profile
« Reply #1186 on: October 25, 2018, 06:41:51 AM »

Recently seen "Rear Window" in DVD. It brought back its discussions in Imdb threads. Many casually called James Stewart "Jimmy", "Jim". Why? There isn't any actor I'd seen whose name would be commonly shortened by people (save when actor's short/ endearing name is used officially). I'd like to know why exactly James gets such special treatment when there's many actors people praise, f.ex. Paul Newman, yet you don't see people famously calling him "Paulie", Montgomery Clift - "Montgo", James Dean - Jim, Richard Dreyfuss - Rich, Diane Keaton - D, Robert Redford - Robbie etc. Can anybody answer the question?

Could be that "Jimmy" was how he wished to be called. Don't ever recall him being referred to as "James" by anyone who spoke to him publicly. "James" was reserved for credits in movies, the military.

Can't answer your Perlman/Daly query. Not familiar with Daly. Vaguely know of Perlman

"No White Flags." - Team Gleason

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon

"The best thing you can be 'like' in music is yourself." Dr. John
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1187 on: October 26, 2018, 04:09:30 PM »

Back to topic - "Ventsenosnaya Semya", Russian 2000 film about Romanovs' last few yrs since abdicatioin. I didn't yet check "Nicholas & Alexandra". I didn't like Nikolai II in VS. The actress playing Alexandra made her real pain in the neck. It annoys to no end seeing actors bearing zero resemblance with people they play. & as usual, I despise melancholic piano-based scores. Hate Russian "romance" genre songs. I did like that each grand duchess had lines, seemed to be fleshed out rather than background voiceless figures to add authenticity. & villains did look like villains as they should. 2/5.
Reading reviews by English speaking posters at alexander palace forum, they consider it the best film about Romanovs, even before "Nicholas & Alexandra", Robert Massie book-adapted (apparently) film. They'd seen it with English subtitles. They found out actress playing Alexandra Linda Bellingham spoke her lines in English but dubbed over with Russian voice. Well it explains why she moved lips not in sync with Russian lines, I suspected it's not she saying them. Whoever dubbed her in Russian, made it sound like with foreign accent, alluding that real Alix didn't speak Russian crystal-clearly. Other than Linda Bellingham, it appears everybody else is Russian actor in "Ventsenosnaya Semya".

Posters were impressed especially by the accuracy in the settings. Film crew recreated rooms just like real Alexander Palace rooms, some items were actually borrowed with permission of Alexander Palace workers/ director/ some such. Interesting, to say the least. Then again, it's Russian film, easier to get permission. When shooting "Nicholas & Alexandra", the film cast & crew weren't allowed to make scenes in Russian places at the time (1971), Russian government etc. fearing English speaking actors couldn't do Russian historic figures justice.

People as well liked the acting, music, esp. some Russian song playing in many variations, played-sung in piano by Olga Nikolaevna & Nikolai II himself & to which grand duchesses danced to, they described as "really beautiful song". Me, I frankly found it nothing special. Began to get annoyed by its repetition during film.

The ending killing scene is short, shorter than real deal which lasted, by Yurovsky's account, half hour since few people in Romanovs/ their servants didn't die quickly. But the viewers said it's better that way, saying they rather see it short than whole thing.

Anyhoo, to many it's "veritable feast for eyes", "best Romanovs film". To me, it's just OK. I did like the grand duchesses being given lines (read: distinction between sisters' personalities), as I said in the quoted review.

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1188 on: October 26, 2018, 04:37:38 PM »

Recently as well checked "Amadeus". Much as Mozart is favorite classical era classical music composer, hearing him 2 hours 33 minutes been tiresome experience. I generally can listen to classical music 15-30 minutes at a time, then I realize the interest starts dwindling. Can't stand "Lacrimosa".
Ofc it makes sense that the costumes & wigs depict the time, I didn't expect to see cast dressed in 80s fashion but nevertheless I'm not stylized historical dramas fan.
That said, really liked Salieri in the film, better than Mozart. F. Murray Abraham played villain very well, both as narrator looking like vampire straight from vintage horrors & the young Salieri. Mozart-senior jolly good as well, iirc he's really that strict. Title role should be smb. else - miscast.
Miscellaneous - coolest thing to see various ancient keyboard instruments, they sound cool.
1.5/5.

NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1189 on: October 26, 2018, 06:43:50 PM »

Recently as well checked "Amadeus". Much as Mozart is favorite classical era classical music composer, hearing him 2 hours 33 minutes been tiresome experience. I generally can listen to classical music 15-30 minutes at a time, then I realize the interest starts dwindling. Can't stand "Lacrimosa".
Ofc it makes sense that the costumes & wigs depict the time, I didn't expect to see cast dressed in 80s fashion but nevertheless I'm not stylized historical dramas fan.
That said, really liked Salieri in the film, better than Mozart. F. Murray Abraham played villain very well, both as narrator looking like vampire straight from vintage horrors & the young Salieri. Mozart-senior jolly good as well, iirc he's really that strict. Title role should be smb. else - miscast.
Miscellaneous - coolest thing to see various ancient keyboard instruments, they sound cool.
1.5/5.

Only saw that movie once and would agree that Abraham played the Salieri part very well.
Mozart's tee heeing laugh got on my nerves.
Can't stand Lacrimosa? The whole Requiem affects me emotionally to the point where I couldn't sing any part of it in public anymore.
I remember being in a choir about 30 years ago and we performed the Requiem. I was standing in the first row of singers, right in front of the audience. As we sang Lacrimosa the waterworks started. I couldn't stop it. And my nose started running. My glasses fogged up. I always keep the music score down enough so that I can see the conductor. But on that occasion I held the score up in the hope that the audience couldn't see my face. I was so embarrassed! Nowadays I laugh thinking about it, as it reminds me of a comical scene in one of Charlie Chaplin's movies

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1190 on: October 28, 2018, 04:19:11 AM »

By 1st row you mean you got low voice? Iirc at music school choir the high voices stood behind in bench. Did you wish to be lead singer when touring with choir? By which criteria it's picked - best singing skills?

NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1191 on: October 28, 2018, 10:39:02 AM »

By 1st row you mean you got low voice? Iirc at music school choir the high voices stood behind in bench. Did you wish to be lead singer when touring with choir? By which criteria it's picked - best singing skills?

Don't know why I was in the front row. I was usually in one of the back rows. If you are in the audience looking at the stage , from left to right it would be Soprano, Tenor, Bass, Alto sections. I'm an Alto, although briefly sang second Soprano. I preferred the arrangement when I was in my college choirs. We were all mixed up - I didn't stand next to another Alto. Hearing the other parts made me blend better and improve music reading skills.
In my choirs I never sang lead and didn't want to. In college the leads went to voice Music majors. In the Symphony chorus solos went to professional singers. Of course I could sing some of the solos notes wise but never really had good enough projection of my voice. IOW, the soloists did a much better job than I could. Also, I had the unfortunate problem of developing post nasal drip at the most inopportune times. I was in a concert where I couldn't sing half of the songs because I felt the need to cough. And that was bad because there were only 9 of us and I sang low parts and drones.
But I did some good singing in the shower!   Grin
« Last Edit: October 29, 2018, 06:04:26 AM by NOLA BB Fan » Logged

bluesno1fann
« Reply #1192 on: October 29, 2018, 03:45:32 AM »

Haven't been able to watch very many films lately due to university assignments (and politics) taking priority, though one I did recently watch (and loved every bit of) was Le Samourai - the 1967 French crime film which I watched with my cinema club on campus
« Last Edit: October 29, 2018, 03:46:05 AM by Unreconstructed Wilsonite » Logged
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1193 on: October 29, 2018, 06:54:00 AM »

Liz, what do you mean by "good sight reading skills"? Does it mean that cool skill when pianist plays along *as* they read piano sheet music? I.e. *not* sitting studying each hand's notes weeks, days, then slowly joining both hands like beginners do. Right?

At last seen "Marnie", 1964 notorious film by Hitch. Took 5-6 yrs to get to it. Frankly, I paid attention to the settings, house interiors, fashion designs than the insubstantial plot.
Sean Connery looked like clown, not to be taken seriously - mannerisms etc.
Tippi Hedren played much better in "Birds". & prettier in it too. You'd think hair color doesn't matter but the darker hair she went with in "Marnie" really made her look inferior, cheapened her. Then again, maybe that's the idea.

Either way, there's strikingly beautiful attractive female character Susan Clabon (sp?) that eclipsed Tippi's beauty. Actress Mariette Hartley. Reading her bio, it's amazing that she didn't get invitations by model agencies, in "Vogue" & magazines alike. Her height in Imdb says she's 178 cm - frankly, she looks taller. I did recognize her, checked the list of films she starred in & bingo! - she played in the 1970s ep in "Columbo", with Ruth Gordon. I liked her there 1st. Anyhoo, she's my new favorite face. & she'd better clothes than Tippi too. As well as figure-wise.

What puzzles me in the film is since Marnie is traumatized it doesn't show. She doesn't dress in baggy suits to hide her bust outline & hips/ backside shape. It didn't make ANY sense. You'd think given the psychological problems she got rooted in childhood she should dress demure, in baggy suits that wouldn't appeal to the guy gender. She instead dressed straight well-fitted skirts & blouse that emphasized her waist. Thus, not believable. Everything must be done to these many tiniest details to paint such kinda woman as Marnie.
Next, I didn't get what's the deal with Lil (young Diane Baker, "Silence Of Lambs" fame). Did she like Marnie or felt jealous about her getting married to Sean Connery's character? Really bizarre girl, it's like she's either or neither of those 2. Even simultaneously. Possibly even 3rd option, whichever it is.
Marnie's mother is real bastard, nauseatingly annoying. Which means the actress played her perfectly.
Bottom line: good visually film but real dullfest. Not sure if anybody will sit thru 2 plus hours to see it. 1/5, rounded to 1.5/5 for Mariette Hartley's beauty. Pity she appears shortly.

NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1194 on: October 29, 2018, 08:05:04 AM »

RRA1 by sight reading skills, I meant that as the pianist played the piece I could figure out my first note to sing, and proceed to sing my part. I didn't have to hear my part first before singing it. Or for an a cappella song, we would be given the opening chord, or more frequently, the root note, and we were then able to figure out the first note we were to sing.
What I loved about being in the college choir (I was in it for 3 years) which met at noon Monday-Friday, was that at the beginning of our warm-up the Director would say, "sing A". We would sing that note and he would check it against the piano. I developed perfect pitch over time as the A note became imprinted in my brain. From there I could figure out a fifth down, a fourth up etc.
I recently read that there are a lot fewer people in the US nowadays that can read music. Sad.

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1195 on: October 29, 2018, 08:32:45 AM »

Miraculous. I definitely read sight reading means reading & playing music in paper with 2 hands right away. There's different meaning to it, in choir? Does the definition described exist or did I dream it (can't be)?

NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1196 on: October 29, 2018, 10:21:21 AM »

Yes you are right; that's what it usually means. I could have also said "sight singing."
 I can sight read music at the piano if it's not too difficult but not anywhere near up to speed. My oldest sister can take sheet music and play it nearly perfectly right off the bat. She spent a lot more years taking lessons and plays piano and organ at her church.

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1197 on: October 29, 2018, 02:52:06 PM »

Thanks. I knew I'm right.

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1198 on: November 01, 2018, 03:07:21 AM »

Finally'd seen "Dead Silence", much revered by fellow horror fanster KDS. Ofc I recognized Ryan Kwanten, this is Australian actor who previously, decade prior to the film, starred in Australian-Chinese-Polish TV series "Spellbinder: The Land Of The Dragon Lord" (Season 2). Hugely miscast here in horror genre & really not good thespian. It could be frightful film but they blew it. 1st, dummy stuff is waay too funny. Mary Shaw, the allegedly evil ventriloquist, is too cute. Then there's Marion, the other sweet old lady. Then the dolls with funny painted faces - hilarity ensues. Don't forget the sarcastic smart alec police officer who seems to make fun at everything "Jamie"/ Kwanten's character says (btw, I found that police guy quite likeable, I think Donnie Wahlberg is better-looking miles away than his lame-faced brother Mark). & the twisted ending didn't add fright. 1/5. Maybe when being generous 1.5-2.

Then seen 3 films by Robert Altman - "Three Women", "Images", "That Cold Day In The Park". Judging by these 3 within 1969-1977, director chose as central characters women. I'd describe each as inaccessible, bizarre, offbeat, sharing gorgeous soundscape & exquisite exterior, as well as interior (f.ex. "Images") settings, interesting camera work. I esp. liked the music in "3 Women", it's in a way similar to Sun Ra. Plotwise, can't say which is favorite, little slow in the uptake making sense when seeing the films. They seem like independent movies - avant-garde even - which can be difficult to get 1st few times. I'd seen them with Russian voiceover ofc but the DVD to "3 Women" includes 3 streams - Russian, English & English kept at low volume BUT, you hear above it the voice commentary going along with the film scenes (pretty much) by Mr. Altman, the film's genesis, discussing it, analyzing, describing the cast & little details like this. It's been hidden, really cool to hear. Would like next to see famous "M*A*S*H" (film which developed to TV series). It says it stars the great Donald Sutherland.

mtaber
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1199 on: November 01, 2018, 02:41:34 PM »

Fantastic Mr. Fox.  Great movie!
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 45 46 47 [48] 49 50 51 52 53 ... 56   Go Up
Print
Jump to: