gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680776 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 23, 2024, 02:48:14 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian in Philly 2005 - My review  (Read 10723 times)
SurferGirl7
« on: December 31, 2005, 08:10:56 AM »

This was my second concert I’d been to for Brian. I was scared from the moment the day finally showed up. Thanks to a friend named Dudley I had closer seats than I thought I’d have. Originally I did not order through the fan club. So no wonder I had bad tickets. Dudley ended up at a good rate to get me 4th row center. First of all, when we got there it was raining. I was happy to know that there was cover. I got to meet all of Dudley’s friends (and some fans I didn’t know) and got to meet up with Dani and Jim P. Just when I thought nothing else would happen, guess who decides to sit in our row? Yes it was Melinda and two others. Back in April I made this collage for Brian using only a shoebox and cutting out as many words as I could to define what it felt like not only being a fan but about him. It took me six hours to make straight and fixed it a few more times long before it saw the light of day. I brought it with me to the show, hoping that maybe I could give it to him or someone could. Now it seemed like a golden opportunity to do so. It took some encouragement from Dudley to get myself over there but I did it. I politely came over, introduced myself, told the story about the box and gave it to her. She seemed really impressed how excited I was and how much effort I put into the box. The cool thing about it was the show hadn’t even started yet and I had already had luck. Then the show started. I thought the first set was great, a bit loud on the ears but still wonderful. I thought When I Grow Up, Breakaway and especially Marcella were awesome. Just before Scott left the stage he realized who I was and waved at me. If some of you do not know the story, Scott last year pulled me onstage during Surfin’ USA and for a few minutes I was on the same stage with everyone. That I thought could never be topped. During intermission I met up with Dani and my mom to tell them the good news. Dudley soon ran over and told me that my box went backstage. This was getting even more exciting. Soon the SMiLE set kicked in. SMiLE sounds real different in an outdoor place. Not exactly the same feeling like the Keswick did, but it still rocked hearing it. The encore was excellent. Scott was dancing with Taylor instead but oh well. After the show I met up trying to get backstage. No one had extras and I got really sad. This whole year, I have tried horribly to meet him. I felt like it would never happen now. My mom felt really bad and started asking if how I can I meet him. One of them sends us to this one building near the place. There was a huge line of people waiting to meet him. They were looking for passes and bracelets. I had none of that. The only good news was now brought to Brian.  I stayed around, hoping maybe a miracle could happen. A stray cat hung out with me too. Finally my mom told the security guard I had this box I gave to Melinda, who she gave to this guy who now gave it to Brian. Then the moment they all realized it was me they let me in. Brian Wilson was not far from me now. I could hear Melinda telling him about the box and this girl named Katie made it and he stated “where’s Katie?” My knees started to buckle when he said that. I was freaking out literally. I finally had composure and went over to the table. Brian was asking me how long it took and I said six hours. Then he asked me what was the inspiration or something and I blurted out very happily “because I love you to death!” Brian was staring wide eyed at me and Melinda was happy to hold my piece of art. I was able to get two pictures with him and got an autograph. On one of the picture’s he even gave me a high five! After it was over, I was so stunned I did it..
Jason
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2005, 02:04:21 PM »

I was at this show too, what a fabulous performance. My dad and I were probably 20 feet away from Brian. Awesome show.
Howdy Doody
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2006, 08:49:07 AM »

I think the philly show was strong at times but the overall production sound at the Mann is fairly weak.  But Brian seemed very happy and actually relaxed during most of the show.  I am happy Katie for you.  I had the fortune of meeting BW too and he was very cool.
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2006, 09:38:16 PM »

Those kind of moments are what makes being a fan worthwhile.
Keep the faith, Katie.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
Peter Reum
Honored Guest

Serving fine tortillas since 1965

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2006, 09:53:07 PM »

Wow Katie! What a great experience! i remember you telling that story. Your mom is pretty special for taking you to thse different Brian Wilson and BB things. I remember she brought you to Busy Doin' Somethin' Else too. Graat memories you have,,,,

If it runs amuck, call the duck
SurferGirl7
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2006, 11:47:54 AM »

Thanks Peter. Me and my mom are also going to the Hodad convention in May. I'm very lucky to have a mom to be able to do all of this. She thinks what I like is worth following. If she can drag me to Beatle conventions, I can sure drag her to some of ours lol.
Evenreven
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2006, 10:29:08 AM »

Cool story! It must be nice for Brian too, getting to meet cool fans with deep love, knowledge and respect for his music. I'm sure he had a great time too!
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2006, 03:29:22 PM »

Hey Katie, great post. Any chance we get to see the pictures of you & Brian...?

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
SurferGirl7
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2006, 08:49:47 AM »

http://www.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/bcfda16852.jpg

http://www.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/8980583fde.jpg

Evenreven
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2006, 09:02:33 AM »

Hahaha! The second one is priceless! Do I hear "spooked deer"? Grin
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2006, 10:26:04 PM »

That second one is amazing.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
mike thornton
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2006, 05:42:46 PM »

katie, great review. you're obviously a true fan and get brian on an elemental level. you need to clone yourself.   Happy Dance

as for the pix, both are great. however, number two is one of the best post 1970 shots of brian with someone i've ever seen. nice!
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2006, 01:22:08 PM »

as for the pix, both are great. however, number two is one of the best post 1970 shots of brian with someone i've ever seen. nice!

which one is before 1970?

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
mike thornton
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2006, 05:32:05 PM »

there are so many great candid 1960's pix of brian with other people...i don't even have a fav. that said, katie's second pic was fabulous. it looks like it captured both of their essences perfectly. not too many post-1970 pix like that. in my ever so humble opinion.  Thud
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2006, 01:22:22 PM »

great review and great pictures,

You and brian look like your having a really cool time

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
SG7
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2006, 11:06:53 AM »

Oh it sure was Grin

I still cannot believe its going to be a year in two days since I met him. I can still remember like it happened yesterday.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx