gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 03:42:06 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rock And Roll To The Rescue  (Read 5496 times)
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 02, 2013, 04:59:38 PM »

It was actually pretty cool in 1986 just hearing Brian sing a lead on a Beach Boys single.  I remember thinking how young Brian looked, compared to the Getcha Back video or the appearance on Solid Gold "performing" Getcha Back in 1985. And the hair--loved Brian's 1986 Pet Sounds-esque hair.

It's probably the thinnest Brian was since high school. You're right, Southbay, at that point (1986), ANY Brian vocal/video/appearance with the group was a welcome sight. And, hey, anybody viewing at that time was thinking, "Dr. Landy, whatever you're doing, keep it up..". Yeah, we were duped, sadly. And, ultimately sadly for Brian. But, you know, even though Brian looked healthy physically, those eyes and that speech pattern, well, you sensed there was still something very wrong...
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 02, 2013, 05:08:51 PM »

No doubt, but as 17 year old kid who was just getting into the group and learning Brian's history...to me he looked great, the Landy regimen seemed to be working. He was back in the band and I had a lot of false hope. I thought the late 80's were going to be great for Brian and the Beach Boys. Yeah, we were all duped.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2013, 05:10:27 PM by southbay » Logged

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
Moon Dawg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 02, 2013, 05:15:11 PM »

Liked it at the time. Holds up better than most of their 1985-92 output.
bluesno1fann
« Reply #28 on: October 02, 2013, 05:37:04 PM »

It was actually pretty cool in 1986 just hearing Brian sing a lead on a Beach Boys single.  I remember thinking how young Brian looked, compared to the Getcha Back video or the appearance on Solid Gold "performing" Getcha Back in 1985. And the hair--loved Brian's 1986 Pet Sounds-esque hair.

It's probably the thinnest Brian was since high school. You're right, Southbay, at that point (1986), ANY Brian vocal/video/appearance with the group was a welcome sight. And, hey, anybody viewing at that time was thinking, "Dr. Landy, whatever you're doing, keep it up..". Yeah, we were duped, sadly. And, ultimately sadly for Brian. But, you know, even though Brian looked healthy physically, those eyes and that speech pattern, well, you sensed there was still something very wrong...
I'm going to have to say that Brian from the mid-80's looked the best he ever did in his entire career. It's a shame that I can't say the same about him mentally
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 02, 2013, 11:29:33 PM »

I was fooled, too. He did look great, and I still love the 1988 album, but all the articles that came out to supposedly promote it talked more about Landy than the music. I doubt that all the negative press about Landy helped sell many albums, people just looked at robot Brian and said "that guy is so messed up, what a shame". Maybe so, but he gave us some beautiful songs through all of that pain.
scooby1970
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: October 03, 2013, 02:32:26 AM »

I remember loving this song when it came out, and I still think it's a brilliant song. Great lyrics, great backing vocals and some great instrumental parts. I think it's a strong standout track from the era and should have been on the new box set.

Smiley Mark

Long time Beach Boys fan and collector. Long time forum browser.
mikeddonn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 04, 2013, 07:58:40 AM »

Brian looked even better in the Bruce Willis spoof rockumentary, "The Return of Bruno".  He was also pretty convincing when talking about 'Bruno's' appearance on Bandstand!
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: October 04, 2013, 09:32:09 AM »

Rocks more than any song on TWGMTR.

Were TWGMTR supposed to rock?

"Beaches In Mind" should, but unfortunately doesn't. Suboptimal arrangement.

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #33 on: October 04, 2013, 09:38:27 AM »

Not overly keen on RARTTR, however the guitar riff on the fade is brilliant! THAT should've been used prominently throughout, preferably in place of those awful drums...
feelsflow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 04, 2013, 02:54:35 PM »

Love the percadella mix. Funnily enough, that mix and It's a Beautiful Day were the first 2 songs I played (loud ) in the hire car after arriving in L. A after a long flight from Oz 6 months ago. To me, they seem like great  "welcome to L.A" songs. Cheesy, but get you in the spirit
Now, Now! I'm at the REAL BEACH, the Beach Boy beach!! Wait... Did I get here too late, where are they?  It's just like the beaches in Oz...  Driver, let's check Brian's, head up to Bellagio Road.  wait, some foreign chap says it's his now...the other one, the Brother studio!... gone...The Wilson's old house...what, gone again, at least they left a monument. well - do they live anywhere near here...I got a tour map from some fan online, but it must be forty years old...                                                            smile.  You are in the right place now.  Welcome to the Board Moz Grin       I like both tracks, Al is great on It's a Beautiful Day.  One of my favorite Al tracks.  The soundtrack it's from has a lot of good stuff too.  I even liked the movie.  There's a number by some psychotic oriental chick, that's crazy great.  EDIT:  I went and pulled the record, don't think this will ever get a cd release. Noticed the BB track was produced by Bruce - pretty good for him in 1979.  Two by Eddie Money, remember him? Only one , but a great one by the talented Mr. Nick Lowe - Without Love.  Two by Costello, that had not been released in America yet, but we were all buying the imports anyway.  And the one referred to earlier, Don't you Ever Say No! by Zane Busby.  She had her 15 minutes.  I loved the 70's, the whole decade was, I don't want to say cheese, although some of it was.  Music had a hard time getting on my good side again.  The ship righted, but the best way to say it is 1964 through 1978, for me, and I don't say that too often, where the best years for music.  Then again, it's all of your age.  That has something to do with it.  This is getting too long. Stop.  Subjective excuse, for those that disagree!  I can ramble on sometimes...NEXT POSTER PLEASE!   Razz      Football is about to start.             
« Last Edit: October 06, 2013, 09:57:23 AM by feelsflow » Logged

...if you are honest - you have no idea where childhood ends and maturity begins.  It is all endless and all one.  ~ P.L. Travers        And, let's get this out of the way now, everything I post is my opinion.  ~ Will
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx