gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680821 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 25, 2024, 01:48:32 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Which is your least favorite song on M.I.U.?
She's Got Rhythm
Come Go With Me
Hey, Little Tomboy
Kona Coast
Peggy Sue
Wontcha Come Out Tonight?
Sweet Sunday
Belles of Paris
Pitter Patter
My Diane
Match Point of Our Love
Winds of Change

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 35th Anniversary of M.I.U today....  (Read 9199 times)
ThyRavenAscend
Smiley Smile Associate

It is nice.

View Profile
« on: September 26, 2013, 12:08:32 PM »

...here's to another 35 years!   Cheesy

I'm glad I splurged $35 for the out-of-print twofer CD.  (The 35 years and 35 dollars are merely a coincidence.  Huh.)

1 Corinthians 1:18-31
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2013, 12:10:31 PM »

I got the twofer CD for £2 a couple of months ago.

But yeah, I saw the title of this thread and laughed at such a strange 'celebration'. But I suppose it has it's place. Somehow...

Check out the Mono/Stereo Mix Breakdown podcast Mixology here: https://mixology.podbean.com/
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2013, 12:11:06 PM »

Remember buying it on release. After Love You and POB the previous year, my expectations were high. Man, what a disappointment.  Angry

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
ThyRavenAscend
Smiley Smile Associate

It is nice.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2013, 12:15:50 PM »

Remember buying it on release. After Love You and POB the previous year, my expectations were high. Man, what a disappointment.  Angry

I actually like it better than both Love You and POB, but I think that's largely because my expectations were low--so I ended up being blown away by it.  Smiley

1 Corinthians 1:18-31
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2013, 12:18:05 PM »

Congratulations on some high-class trolling. However, I shall not rise to the bait.  Grin

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2013, 12:24:38 PM »

I actually like it better than both Love You and POB, but I think that's largely because my expectations were low--so I ended up being blown away by it.  Smiley

I wouldn't go that far, but I had a similar experience recently with MIU. Finally gave it a proper listen and was pleasantly surprised at just how many songs I liked. Side 2 is a good run of songs for me, apart from winds of change which is dire.

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2013, 12:37:23 PM »

2 words. My Diane. Wow.

Love this album, for the most part, even some of the most "meh" Beach Boys music can have it's place in my heart Razz

Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2013, 12:43:31 PM »

I bought it the day it came out (seemed like an eternity after Love You), took it home, dropped the needle, and out comes Brian Wilson - singing in falsetto - "Last night I went out disco dancing..." It was one of the most emotional experiences of my BB/BW fandom.

I have read a lot of criticism of Brian's vocal on that song, being forced, shrill, loud, etc. But...I became a Beach Boys diehard/nut in 1975-76. My first two NEW BB releases were 15 Big Ones and Love You. There were a lot of WTF moments, especially regarding Brian's vocals. I had serious doubts that his voice would ever recover from the last strains of "Love Is A Woman". So, when I first heard the opening notes to "She's Got Rhythm", well, there were several emotions flowing - joy, relief, and shock to name a few. Those same emotions continued through the initial listening, especially with "Wontcha Come Out Tonight", "Matchpoint Of Our Love", and the closing notes ("Won't last forever") of "Winds Of Change".

I was literally doing cartwheels in my room. Brian's back! He's really back! The voice is back! Yes, I did sense the reduction in quality of the songs from Love You, but, in some ways, the improved vocals compensated for it. I still think Al's vocals on the album, and specifically on "Peggy Sue" are the strongest of his career. It was, and is, an enjoyable listen. There could be a little more Carl, but all of the guys are represented well. I'm not crazy about the sequencing, and closing the album with "Our Team" is a no-brainer. I can still pull the CD out and find things to enjoy. Yeah, I guess it could've used a "deeper" cut or two - and they were available - but it wasn't to be. After MIU, because of Brian's improved vocals, I couldn't wait for the next album, only to be bitterly disappointed by Brian's absence on L.A. Light Album.
Gabo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2013, 01:09:26 PM »

No one's celebrating.
SonicVolcano
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2013, 01:09:35 PM »

Pitter Patter must be one of their most underrated songs ever. It's such a clever tune. Those harmonies are amazing.

drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2013, 01:35:50 PM »

No one's celebrating.
Honest question, are you a fan? Not the best thread to bring this up, but you rarely have anything good to say about the Beach Boys.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2013, 01:36:36 PM »

35 years since the world found out that The Beach Boys were in undeniable decline as artists.
smilethebeachboysloveyou
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2013, 01:48:05 PM »

2 words. My Diane. Wow.

I love "My Diane," but in terms of M.I.U., it seems to be the song that breaks the curve.  The Beach Boys and Summer in Paradise are both worse albums than M.I.U., but I'm not entirely sure that the band was capable of producing anything better at the time those albums were made.  With M.I.U., "My Diane" makes it evident that The Beach Boys were still capable of producing good music (and anyone who's heard Adult Child or some of the other tracks from around that time on MiC or elsewhere has even more evidence of that) rather than the substandard songwriting and lazy attempts to cash-in on their legacy that comprise most of MIU.  I don't hate everything else on the album, but even the other songs I sort of like ("She's Got Rhythm" and "Come Go With Me" and... I guess that's it) seem to me far below what they were capable of.
Gabo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2013, 01:54:48 PM »

No one's celebrating.
Honest question, are you a fan? Not the best thread to bring this up, but you rarely have anything good to say about the Beach Boys.

Duh
Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2013, 02:07:15 PM »

I like it as an album "to calm the nerves."

Other than that, (makes raspberry noise.)
zachrwolfe
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2013, 03:00:53 PM »

« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 08:44:17 PM by zatch » Logged
Nicko1234
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2013, 03:15:17 PM »

35 years since the world found out that The Beach Boys were in undeniable decline as artists.

Nah, you're thinking of 15 Big Ones.  Smiley
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2013, 03:19:15 PM »

I didn't get my filthy little hands on MIU until the twofer hit the shelves -  it was the only offering I'd not heard in full (had heard the selections on 10YOH).

One or 2 ok tracks,  but not an album that I go back to.

On a positive note, Brian is in good voice (although asleep) and it provided Al with experience and expertise to deliver the goods in the ensuing years.

« Last Edit: September 26, 2013, 03:31:06 PM by Alan Smith » Logged

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2013, 03:27:54 PM »

While I like MIU for what it is, I think it was the first blatantly bland album the group released ... and the first of their albums that was not controlled creatively by the Wilson clan. I think these are the reasons it was so hated at the time (and still is by some). And it set a certain standard for what was to come later (beach/summer-themed lyrics, Brian Wilson involved but sterilized for mass consumption, etc.).

I think it has aged well, however -- possibly because it's better than anything the group has released since (as a group or solo artist).

Although it's pleasant, there's just very little artistry in the album. It really just sounds like Celebration with better songs, more character and some magic BB dust.

Funny that the group and/or Capitol are commemorating their first true low point ... the first of many albums that were commercial failures and artistically bankrupt.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2013, 03:32:03 PM by DonnyL » Logged

drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2013, 03:28:30 PM »

No one's celebrating.

Duh
Figured as much.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2013, 03:30:14 PM »

While I like MIU for what it is, I think it was the first blatantly bland album the group released ... and the first of their albums that was not controlled creatively by the Wilson clan. I think these are the reasons it was so hated at the time (and still is by some). And it set a certain standard for what was to come later (beach/summer-themed lyrics, Brian Wilson involved but sterilized for mass consumption, etc.).

I think it has aged well, however -- possibly because it's better than anything the group has released since (as a group or solo artist).

Although it's pleasant, there's just very little artistry in the album. It really just sounds like Celebration with better songs, more character and some magic BB dust.
I'll take the L.A. (Light Album) over that album in a heartbeat.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2013, 03:38:47 PM »

I'll take the L.A. (Light Album) over that album in a heartbeat.

I know some people really like that record (I like it okay, except HCTN), and that's reasonable ... but I think LA was still a step in the wrong direction. If you take off 'Good Timin' and Denny's songs, it's kind of a dud. But I agree LA was at least TRYING to be 'artistic'.

I think MIU has a stronger selection of songs, while LA just kind of meanders. I suppose in truth, MIU, LA and KTSA are all fairly comparable, though MIU has more energy and I've certainly listened to it way more often that the other two over the years. But after that, I feel their output was just dismal.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2013, 03:43:43 PM by DonnyL » Logged

TonyW
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 26, 2013, 03:54:24 PM »

... no love ... (My Diane excepted) ... its a train wreck in motion ...
Orange Crate Art
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 26, 2013, 04:07:07 PM »

MIU has grown on me. I like Pitter Patter and My Diane. And Matchpoint Of Our Love has a chilled-out thing about it which I like. I like it better than 15 Big Ones actually.

Hey did you hear that George fell into his French horn?
Mr. Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

Surfs up around these parts.!

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 26, 2013, 04:21:14 PM »

My reaction to MIU compares to Sherriff"s about the vocal quality of the record.. And the small amount of DW + CW on the record.. Then again i find that i dont like BOP + WOC + I find " My Diane" WAY over rated.. The rest of the tunes i like.. I think under the conditions it was made it was a good record.. After the rough vocals + oldies on 15BO +  demo quality  + rough vocals on LY. I foud this record pleasant + fun to listen to.. Theres no GV on here but at least theres no ITSOTN or BHill either..
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx