gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680780 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 23, 2024, 07:42:38 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Which is your least favorite song on M.I.U.?
She's Got Rhythm
Come Go With Me
Hey, Little Tomboy
Kona Coast
Peggy Sue
Wontcha Come Out Tonight?
Sweet Sunday
Belles of Paris
Pitter Patter
My Diane
Match Point of Our Love
Winds of Change

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 35th Anniversary of M.I.U today....  (Read 9196 times)
bluesno1fann
« Reply #25 on: September 26, 2013, 05:14:26 PM »

2 words. My Diane. Wow.

I love "My Diane," but in terms of M.I.U., it seems to be the song that breaks the curve.  The Beach Boys and Summer in Paradise are both worse albums than M.I.U.
"The Beach Boys 85'" worse than "M.I.U."? That's a joke, right?
While I like MIU for what it is, I think it was the first blatantly bland album the group released ... and the first of their albums that was not controlled creatively by the Wilson clan. I think these are the reasons it was so hated at the time (and still is by some). And it set a certain standard for what was to come later (beach/summer-themed lyrics, Brian Wilson involved but sterilized for mass consumption, etc.).

I think it has aged well, however -- possibly because it's better than anything the group has released since (as a group or solo artist).

Although it's pleasant, there's just very little artistry in the album. It really just sounds like Celebration with better songs, more character and some magic BB dust.
I'll take the L.A. (Light Album) over that album in a heartbeat.
Same  Grin
... no love ... (My Diane excepted) ... its a train wreck in motion ...
Sums up my feeling as well
MIU has grown on me. I like Pitter Patter and My Diane. And Matchpoint Of Our Love has a chilled-out thing about it which I like. I like it better than 15 Big Ones actually.
As much as I don't like M.I.U., I'll have to agree that it's a lot better than 15 Big Ones
Please delete my account
Smiley Smile Associate

Please delete my account

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 26, 2013, 05:15:56 PM »

For me, M.I.U. is a guilty pleasure, or the half of it I listen to is.

Please delete my account
chrs_mrgn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 26, 2013, 06:32:03 PM »

I always think of M.I.U. as L.A.'s slightly more handsome brother.
smilethebeachboysloveyou
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 26, 2013, 09:50:42 PM »

2 words. My Diane. Wow.

I love "My Diane," but in terms of M.I.U., it seems to be the song that breaks the curve.  The Beach Boys and Summer in Paradise are both worse albums than M.I.U.

Well, that's a difficult thing.  I definitely think The Beach Boys is a worse album: whereas M.I.U. has one standout track ("My Diane") and two tracks I kind of like ("She's Got Rhythm" and "Come Go With Me") The Beach Boys doesn't have anything on it that I particularly like.  Most of the tracks sound the same and are clear attempts to make the Beach Boys sound current in 1985, which consequently makes the album sound far more dated than any of their classic albums, and indeed even more dated than some of their previous cynical cash-in attempts like M.I.U. or Keepin' the Summer Alive.  In addition to that, it has one of my least favorite songs, "Passing Friend," which I think is worse than anything on M.I.U.
MBE
« Reply #29 on: September 26, 2013, 10:07:40 PM »

MIU is so-so, 85 I never liked at all.
chrs_mrgn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 26, 2013, 10:16:56 PM »

She's Got Rhythm is such a great song. I love everything about it. Especially Brian's LAAAAAAAAAAST
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 26, 2013, 10:25:27 PM »

M.I.U. is underrated. There. I said it.
bluesno1fann
« Reply #32 on: September 26, 2013, 10:35:22 PM »

2 words. My Diane. Wow.

I love "My Diane," but in terms of M.I.U., it seems to be the song that breaks the curve.  The Beach Boys and Summer in Paradise are both worse albums than M.I.U.

Well, that's a difficult thing.  I definitely think The Beach Boys is a worse album: whereas M.I.U. has one standout track ("My Diane") and two tracks I kind of like ("She's Got Rhythm" and "Come Go With Me") The Beach Boys doesn't have anything on it that I particularly like.  Most of the tracks sound the same and are clear attempts to make the Beach Boys sound current in 1985, which consequently makes the album sound far more dated than any of their classic albums, and indeed even more dated than some of their previous cynical cash-in attempts like M.I.U. or Keepin' the Summer Alive.  In addition to that, it has one of my least favorite songs, "Passing Friend," which I think is worse than anything on M.I.U.
I guess it's your opinion. But i find "the Beach Boys" to be their most underrated album, and I love a majority of the tracks. Getcha Back, Maybe I Don't Know, She Believes In Love Again, Where I Belong, It's Gettin Late, even the guilty pleasure track I'm So Lonely I love. The only real clunker to me is the sh*t California Calling. With M.I.U. there's only really My Diane.
I don't mind the 80's sound of the album at all, in fact I really like it. At the same time, I can understand why some people may not like it. But still it doesn't deserve most of it's bad ratings and bad reputation. To me at least, "The Beach Boys" is so, so much better than 15 Big Ones, M.I.U., KTSA, Still Cruisin, SIP, and Stars and Stripes. I still don't fully understand why a lot of people like it, but I will defend it when I get the chance, somebody has to lol.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 26, 2013, 11:06:52 PM »

WTF is up with all the praise for "My Diane"? Do people love it just because it's Dennis singing? The song is nothing special, much like the rest of the album.
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: September 27, 2013, 12:08:49 AM »

I actually like it better than both Love You and POB, but I think that's largely because my expectations were low--so I ended up being blown away by it.  Smiley

Same with me! Smiley

No one's celebrating.

You're wrong. I am. Three cheers for MIU!  Head Spin

Pitter Patter must be one of their most underrated songs ever. It's such a clever tune. Those harmonies are amazing.

I love Pitter Patter too. THAT should have been the single. I've listened to the album lots of times, but I listened to "Peggy Sue" about three times at most.

For me, M.I.U. is a guilty pleasure, or the half of it I listen to is.

Delete "guilty", and I'm 100% with you! Smiley

Interestingly, I don't enjoy listening to the celebrated My Diane. That drags, I don't like the arrangement. I wouldn't say it was bad, it's just not an enjoyable listen to me. Many others say it's the only song they like on MIU.

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
bluesno1fann
« Reply #35 on: September 27, 2013, 01:17:58 AM »

WTF is up with all the praise for "My Diane"? Do people love it just because it's Dennis singing? The song is nothing special, much like the rest of the album.
To me, the fact that it's Dennis Wilson is singing My Diane is irrelevant. It's how great he did it is what matters. And yes, he did a brilliant job on that song!
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 27, 2013, 03:31:32 AM »

Unlike 15 Big Ones this one hasn't grown on me at all. I like Tomboy and My Diane and some of the other tunes are fairly decent. Not a bad album but painfully mediocre for a group like that. Despite the lack of BW involvement I like the Light Album WAY better than this.
Ovi
Smiley Smile Associate

They know I'm rock 'n' roll through and through.

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 27, 2013, 03:36:30 AM »

Nah, it's a gorgeous song, full of emotion. Definitely in my top 15 Brian Wilson compositions. In fact, I think it's so good that it's almost out of place on MIU.
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #38 on: September 27, 2013, 03:43:21 AM »

Charmless album. Some listenable songs, like most BB albums post-Holland (Love You, POB and BW88 being the obvious exceptions because they're better). I much prefer LA, which, at least, seems like a whole album, even with HCTN.

I like My Diane, Pitter Patter and, to a lesser extent, Winds of Change and Woncha Come Out Tonight, but I don't like any of them as much as the songs I like on LA.
Fire Wind
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 27, 2013, 03:46:01 AM »

Not mad on Brian's 'She's Got Rhythm' vocal.  Love Mike's parts to that song, though.

I still can taste the ocean breeze...
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 27, 2013, 04:34:47 AM »

What's up with all the praise for "My Diane"? Do people love it just because it's Dennis singing? The song is nothing special.
I for one think that it's one of the worst performances by Dennis, too gritty to my taste. Give me his youthful 60s vocals any time. That being said, I don't think that if Brian or any other Beach Boy had sung "My Diane", it would've been any more better. So yes, the song itself is nothing special, regardless of whom.

Now, let me join in & congratulate this jolly enjoyable record & wish it to become a timeless classic soon. M.I.U. to the masses!

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
bluesno1fann
« Reply #41 on: September 27, 2013, 04:39:31 AM »

What's up with all the praise for "My Diane"? Do people love it just because it's Dennis singing? The song is nothing special.
I for one think that it's one of the worst performances by Dennis, too gritty to my taste. Give me his youthful 60s vocals any time.
While I agree that Dennis was a far better singer in the 60's and early 70's, I think that his vocals actually suit My Diane very well
MBE
« Reply #42 on: September 27, 2013, 05:23:57 AM »

Yeah My Diane is a Dennis vocal from later I really like, even though I too like his pre 1974 voice the best.

Interesting that 1985 connects so much with you. I listened to it half a dozen time and I just don't get anything from it. "Getcha Back"/"Male Ego" is a cool 45 though.
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #43 on: September 27, 2013, 05:29:42 AM »

Not counting Love You, Brian's good (released) stuff from post Holland, up to and including KTSA: My Diane, California Feelin', Winter Symphony, Had to Phone Ya, Back Home - and I do like the instrumental Why. Not knocking his contributions to other stuff, but I get the feeling that, for example, Santa Ana Winds - which I love - is more Al than Brian and isn't Good Timin' largely Carl's work?
bluesno1fann
« Reply #44 on: September 27, 2013, 06:11:43 AM »

Interesting that 1985 connects so much with you. I listened to it half a dozen time and I just don't get anything from it. "Getcha Back"/"Male Ego" is a cool 45 though.
You know, you're right. What I don't understand is why it can't connect to many people  Huh
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: September 27, 2013, 07:01:03 AM »

Strangely, MIU was always my least favorite BB album until just recently. It's just starting to click with me.  "She's Got Rhythm" is really fun to sing in the car driving home from work.Brian sounds great.  I love Pitter Patter and Match Point. The only song I get bugged by anymore is Belles of Paris because I can't hear it anyother way than Bells of Christmas.  LOL
« Last Edit: September 27, 2013, 07:02:06 AM by pixletwin » Logged
SloopJohnnyB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 27, 2013, 07:16:47 AM »

Played the heck out of "She's Got Rythm" when it first came out. It was nice to hear Brian and Mike sharing the lead vocals on that one and others.

Nice album. 'Come And Go With Me" would become a top 20 hit in 1981.  Not too shabby.  Cool Guy
« Last Edit: September 27, 2013, 07:25:40 AM by SloopJohnnyB » Logged
Ram4
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 27, 2013, 08:01:22 AM »

I only recently got M.I.U. and my expectations were really, really low.  The only track on it that I had heard was Come and Go With Me, so I was expecting the worst.  Also with Carl and Dennis all but AWOL, how good could it be?  But I was impressed.  I like the mix, I like the overall feel, and there are some decent songs on it.  As someone said earlier, Pitter Patter has got to be one of the most underrated BB songs, I love it.   
37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: September 27, 2013, 08:03:57 AM »

So it was 35 years ago an album was released that was cobbled together from some "highlights" of new material and filled out with some 15 Big Ones-era recordings, ranging from ho-hum to just plain creepy, despite having some dynamite material in the can that could have made for a much better album.

Oh well...at least Al had the good sense to use the slightly-not-quite-as-creepy version of "Hey Little Tomboy."

But to me, MIU Album is what Summer In Paradise would have sounded like had the Beach Boys used actual instruments.

Happy birthday, MIU Album. Jai guru dev. And shave your legs, now, for your first time.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2013, 08:07:18 AM by 37!ws » Logged

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
ThyRavenAscend
Smiley Smile Associate

It is nice.

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 27, 2013, 08:46:12 AM »

It seems that a number of people's opinions of M.I.U. were influenced by their expectations (obviously there are still other, important factors--but it's worth noting).  If expectations do affect our initial and overall opinion of an album, maybe we could learn our lesson and expect the worst for Brian's upcoming solo album!

1 Corinthians 1:18-31
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx