gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 01:10:21 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22 Go Down Print
Author Topic: More About Brian/ Beck and New Album.  (Read 109044 times)
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #400 on: April 23, 2014, 02:13:12 PM »

Brian's voice is damaged/not what it use to be. Paul's voice sounds pretty much the same as he did in Wings/Beatle days - can even still hit the high notes.

Beg to differ, but Paul's voice is pretty much shot, unless the last few years of video footage have all been somehow sabotaged. His Queen's Jubilee appearance in 2012 was utterly dire.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #401 on: April 23, 2014, 02:27:44 PM »

Smiley Smiley Smiley

Quote from: Facebook BW
Brian clowning around in the studio with "Pet Sounds glasses."

Is Brian rocking the shirt from Endless Harmony there?

We can all relax, Brian looks good here  Grin

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #402 on: April 23, 2014, 02:29:24 PM »

Just watched Paul last night in an Uruguay concert from last week and a guest with Springsteen last year. He sounded great!

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #403 on: April 23, 2014, 02:30:55 PM »

I hope brian's new album is better than mccartney's album 'new'. That was a serious disappointment. Take all the time you need Brian!

Agreed. I didn't much care for "New" either.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Gabo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #404 on: April 23, 2014, 03:11:49 PM »

Brian's voice is damaged/not what it use to be. Paul's voice sounds pretty much the same as he did in Wings/Beatle days - can even still hit the high notes.

Beg to differ, but Paul's voice is pretty much shot, unless the last few years of video footage have all been somehow sabotaged. His Queen's Jubilee appearance in 2012 was utterly dire.

At least Paul still sounds like Paul, albeit an older one. Brian sounds like a completely different person altogether.

I hope brian's new album is better than mccartney's album 'new'. That was a serious disappointment. Take all the time you need Brian!

Is that even possible? It's going to be more sludge recycled from 1998 collaborations with AOR king Joe Thomas.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2014, 03:24:14 PM by Gabo » Logged
mikeddonn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #405 on: April 23, 2014, 03:50:07 PM »

It's good to see Brian smiling in a natural way, looking genuinely happy in the pictures.  I remember all the 80s and 90s pictures of Brian with a pained or goofy expression.  He looked totally freaked out in pictures.  Now the worst you might see are ones where he looks like a 70+ guy, who doesn't always comb his hair or coordinate his trousers with his shirts, or shave!  At least he looks happy in the studio ones.  The one's discussed on another thread taken by paparazzi look as though he has the weight of the work on his shoulders which is sad to see.  But all things considered I think Brian is pretty content and has a laugh with those around him in the studio, those he trusts.

I saw Macca in 2010 and he sounded great but now his voice sounds weak, cracks a lot, and is probably autotuned, still sounds like his 60s voice though, but by no means is it perfect.  I also think he's had a few nip and tucks, wears make up and dyes his hair.  I'm sure he's far more vain than Brian when it comes to looks.

Still great that they are both here making music and enjoying life.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #406 on: April 23, 2014, 03:52:53 PM »

Did Brian's facelift go through? I remember reading some story about Brian laying on a bed in the doctor's office and his vital signs weren't good or normal because of possible medication that Landy had him on and they quickly stopped the procedure for fear that he might die or something. Can anybody shed any light on that story?
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #407 on: April 23, 2014, 03:55:29 PM »

Did Brian's facelift go through? I remember reading some story about Brian laying on a bed in the doctor's office and his vital signs weren't good or normal because of possible medication that Landy had him on and they quickly stopped the procedure for fear that he might die or something. Can anybody shed any light on that story?
Uh, can't check right now - but wasn't that another procedure? (I could be wrong, though.)
Gabo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #408 on: April 23, 2014, 09:39:03 PM »

Is there any visual proof of his facelift? Before and after comparisons?
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #409 on: April 23, 2014, 11:12:48 PM »

Story goes that Brian's procedure to repair a depressed cheekbone (no, I don't know when or how) was aborted at the last moment because, due to Landy's, er, "medication", his BP was seriously high. It was done a little later, and a slight facelift was done as well.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #410 on: April 24, 2014, 05:01:37 AM »

I saw Macca in 2010 and he sounded great but now his voice sounds weak, cracks a lot, and is probably autotuned, still sounds like his 60s voice though, but by no means is it perfect.  I also think he's had a few nip and tucks, wears make up and dyes his hair.  I'm sure he's far more vain than Brian when it comes to looks.

I zapped into a recent Paul McCartney concert on TV the other day and was surprised to hear obvious autotune artifacts.

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
Moon Dawg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #411 on: April 24, 2014, 06:49:22 AM »

I've heard some recent Paul vocals that sounded strong while others betray an aging voice. He looks pretty good on the whole but you have to wonder if there is some "hair assistance" at this point. Still a vital artist making good music IMO.

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #412 on: April 24, 2014, 07:10:00 AM »

McCartney’s voice is definitely aging more rapidly these days. He actually sounded better when he started touring again in 2002 than he had in 1993. He still does most everything in its original key, and he definitely pushes his voice past where it probably can go.

But I wouldn’t say his voice is shot; it’s just extremely uneven. Having seen the similarly-aged Beach Boys in 2012 all lined up together taking vocal turns, I’d say McCartney’s voice is still at least marginally to significantly in better shape than any Beach Boy other than Jardine (and I suppose Marks).  McCartney also sings his entire shows; no handing off half the show to other lead vocalists.

My main issue with McCartney’s voice at this stage is not so much his ability to hit actual high notes or even stay in key, but the tone and timbre of his voice and voicings. He’s very “slurry” on some songs, and seems to relish for some reason singing the highest notes possible which results in that “old lady” voice. But this may all just be an aging issue. He could pretty easily just stick to writing and performing stuff in the lower register where his voice sounds pretty intact. Check out the track “Alligator” from this newest album, and you get all three versions of Paul’s voice: Lower register sounding pretty good, strained high notes, and finished off with what is likely a bit of autotune on the highest note.

I dunno, I sometimes at least try to check myself, because it does kind of come across as a d*** move to happily see Brian Wilson or Mike Love sing in concert and then criticize any other singers for having “shot” or aged voices (I think Howie Edelson astutely pointed out some time back in one his commentaries that Mike’s voice would perhaps not sound as shot if he didn’t incessantly tour each and every year). We all have our own set of standards we expect or will put up with, and I for one feel it’s important to recognize when one is more willing to tolerate (or enjoy) perhaps sometimes sub-par singing (or whatever it is) because it’s someone we like.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Pacific Coast
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #413 on: April 24, 2014, 10:00:03 AM »

I've heard some recent Paul vocals that sounded strong while others betray an aging voice. He looks pretty good on the whole but you have to wonder if there is some "hair assistance" at this point. Still a vital artist making good music IMO.

He dyes his hair.
KittyKat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #414 on: April 24, 2014, 10:09:23 AM »

In Tim White's book it said his plastic surgeon was concerned about his blood pressure being too low because of taking beta blockers and a bunch of other tranquilizing meds. Low blood pressure can lead to shock and organ damage and be hard to control from falling too low during surgery. The surgeon had Brian do a drug test and found out all the drugs he was on that he didn't disclose. According to the book, Brian withdrew from all meds for a few weeks and underwent the surgery.

Brian had the facelift, as well as an eyejob and a cheekbone implant on the right side. You can now see the outline of the cheekbone implant on his right cheek as he's gotten older and the skin has both fallen and thinned out. It's a little crescent shaped thing an inch or two under his eye.  His face looked a lot tighter in the late '80s or early '90s. His eyes also lost their almond shape and the bags under them. Now that he's aged and his weight fluctuated, the work has pretty much unraveled other than the small implant.
Pablo.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #415 on: April 24, 2014, 10:15:48 AM »

I was at that Uruguay gig last saturday and he sounded very good.  His problem at 71 is not one of range or pitch but timbre. That's specially noticeable on his speaking voice. But someone who can do Helter skelter right after Yesterday deserves nothing but praise.

Autotune is used on post production of his live records and dvds since 2002.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #416 on: April 24, 2014, 01:24:50 PM »

Paulo, I thought Paul sang great during the Uraguay concert. He even honored a fan's request from the crowd to play "One After 909" which is kind of a rarity.

Outtasight!
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #417 on: April 24, 2014, 01:29:18 PM »

At least Paul still sounds like Paul, albeit an older one. Brian sounds like a completely different person altogether.

Is that even possible? It's going to be more sludge recycled from 1998 collaborations with AOR king Joe Thomas.
listen to wings over America. McCartney's voice is incredible. He is nowhere near that peak vocally now. This is not a criticism. The guy is an incredible musician. I will still buy everything he puts out. If the  1998 sludge of which you speak is of the caliber of summers gone, pch and twgmtr, throw in some new material as incredible as fttba, then cover me in sludge!
Pablo.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #418 on: April 24, 2014, 04:05:23 PM »

Paulo, I thought Paul sang great during the Uraguay concert. He even honored a fan's request from the crowd to play "One After 909" which is kind of a rarity.

that fan was kinda spooky...
Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #419 on: April 24, 2014, 04:31:53 PM »

I used to have Tripping the Live Fantastic (Paul's live album from 1990) on cassette and I remember putting it on after a habit of listening to the Beatles incessantly. Paul's voice sounded shot on the high notes to my ears, and he wasn't even 50 yet. But he might have just been hoarse from so many shows. His voice seemed to improve later--maybe 10 years later.

These days his speaking voice has an "old man" quavering quality to it. I think there's a bit of that in his singing, too.

Brian's voice has been "different" since he was in his 30s-- late 20s, even. It's got to be hard for someone who made their reputation with a boyish tenor, like Paul and Brian, as opposed to someone who always had a gravely thing.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #420 on: April 24, 2014, 05:41:56 PM »

Brian and Paul both sound good for 70 somethings, Paul a bit more so on average (and I say this as someone who doesn't follow Paul and is tired of being beaten with Beatles propaganda on a daily basis). Al sounds exceptionally good for being in his 70s and is not the standard by which everyone should be measured - most aren't so lucky.

Brian pulls off some great vocals for a guy who struggled with mental illness, drug abuse, weight issues, cigarettes, excessive prescription drugs, and nearly fucking dying numerous times. We're very lucky to still have him, as well as Paul/Al/David/Mike/Bruce, all things considered. That's about all that really needs to be said, to me.

Sorry if that sounds "AGREE WITH ME OR PISS OFF", that's not my intent, I'm just sayin', these conversations about aged musicians always take silly turns, to me. Being a singer at age 20 is fucking tough, let alone 50 or 70, and I hate the attitude that being a singer requires little talent etc. etc. etc.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2014, 06:03:51 PM by runnersdialzero » Logged

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Gohi
« Reply #421 on: April 24, 2014, 05:43:03 PM »

Brian and Paul both sound good for 70 somethings, Paul a bit more so on average (and I say this as someone who doesn't follow Paul and is tired of being beaten with Beatles propaganda on a daily basis). Al sounds exceptionally good for being in his 70s and is not the standard by which everyone should be measured - most aren't so lucky.

Brian pulls off some great vocals for a guy who struggled with mental illness, drug abuse, weight issues, cigarettes, excessive prescription drugs, and nearly fucking dying numerous times. We're very lucky to still have him, as well as Paul/Al/David/Mike/Bruce, all things considered. That's about all that really needs to be said, to me.
agreed
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #422 on: April 24, 2014, 07:53:12 PM »

Not only that...the man is deaf in one ear, and most likely has lost a bit of hearing in his good ear due to age.  Also, the sadly few times he's loosened up and just sang for the hell it in a relaxed manner, he's been dicks to the bricks awesome. when I saw the BB C50 show in June 2012, he sounded EVEN BETTER THAN THE RECORD on IJWMFTT, and completely effortless. Not lazy, just in more of a 'Ah sh*t man, I *got* this' kind of way.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #423 on: April 24, 2014, 08:12:31 PM »

Billy Shears looks good for his age!

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #424 on: April 24, 2014, 08:22:54 PM »

Paul is UnDead

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx