gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 05:45:31 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 22 Go Down Print
Author Topic: More About Brian/ Beck and New Album.  (Read 109018 times)
joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: January 10, 2014, 02:20:53 PM »

I read that Brian is also preparing a soundtrack album for the movie. He has said he has three or four album projects going at the same time, including the soundtrack and a solo album. He may be pushing his solo album to late this year in order to release a soundtrack album at the same time as the movie, if the movie is coming out in spring or summer.
I wonder if the soundtrack will be remakes of old songs or all new songs/instrumentals. or both..
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: January 10, 2014, 02:24:31 PM »

I read that Brian is also preparing a soundtrack album for the movie. He has said he has three or four album projects going at the same time, including the soundtrack and a solo album. He may be pushing his solo album to late this year in order to release a soundtrack album at the same time as the movie, if the movie is coming out in spring or summer.

Maybe go back up a couple of posts: 

I think some of you are forgetting that Brian has a feature film/biopic on his life that is in post-production and due out in the fourth quarter of this year. They are obviously lining up the new album release for that same time frame.

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #77 on: January 10, 2014, 02:26:16 PM »

I recall the phrasing being more to the effect that he had three or so album's worth of material, not three actual albums. I may, of course, be wrong.  Roll Eyes

Thus (Rolling Stone, 6/20/13):

""Im nervous as hell!" says Brian Wilson, over a tuna melt at his favorite Beverly Hills deli. "But it's a good kind of nervous. I'm on a roll. I have so many songs, I can't believe it. I keep thinking, 'What's this record gonna be? I have no idea!'"
Rolling Stone

Actually, the record that Wilson started working on with longtime collaborator Joe Thomas almost immediately after wrapping up the Beach Boys' 50th-anniversary tour last fall has morphed into what could be three records: an album of new pop songs, recorded with his touring band and Beach Boys Al Jardine and David Marks (both of whom will also join Wilson at solo shows this Summer); a set of mostly instrumental new songs with an unlikely collaborator, British guitar legend Jeff Beck (who may also appear on the Wilson solo album); and a complex, melancholy group of interwoven tracks he calls "the suite," created in the modular style of SMiLE, and dealing with loss, vulnerability and hope as Wilson approaches the final chapter of his career."
« Last Edit: January 10, 2014, 02:30:44 PM by The Legendary AGD » Logged

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: January 10, 2014, 02:28:13 PM »

I recall the phrasing being more to the effect that he had three or so album's worth of material, not three actual albums. I may, of course, be wrong.  Roll Eyes

" Often outvoted, but never wrong" as my dad used to say...

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
KittyKat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: January 10, 2014, 05:45:33 PM »

I was under the impression that the soundtrack would be a different album than his solo album, and that could conflict with a solo album if that was the case. I'm not saying I know that's in the cards, but just speculating due to the fact that folks are saying that Brian seems to be pushing off the solo album. I don't think it's a given that a solo album would come out at the exact same time as the biopic, because promoting the album would distract from promoting the film (and it contains material that presumably isn't in the film).

If I were Brian (and granted, I'M NOT!), it would make sense to release a solo album after film comes out, because he will get more publicity and build a larger audience for himself if the film does any business at all. Time the release so it's not right at the exact same time as the film release, but maybe a month or two later. If there are any catalog releases associated with the film, it will give those a chance to sell. He could also release a single or two around the time of the film instead of a whole album, or maybe there will be a new track or two on any soundtrack album, then dovetail into an entire solo album.  Which would be followed by a tour of the States and selected European/Australian/Asian countries.

Also, it's pretty much a given that the film will have a soundtrack album, whether Brian is officially working on one right now or not. He's probably been working on it all along, or somebody is. Every film has a soundtrack album. It will be interesting how much is Beach Boys and how much is Brian solo.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2014, 05:51:31 PM by KittyKat » Logged
urbanite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: January 10, 2014, 06:44:44 PM »

FWIW,

There was an article in the L.A. Times the other day about the City of Santa Clarita, which is in north Los Angeles County.  It mentioned that much of the Brian Wilson movie was filmed in Santa Clarita.
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: January 10, 2014, 11:17:37 PM »

I was under the impression that the soundtrack would be a different album than his solo album, and that could conflict with a solo album if that was the case. I'm not saying I know that's in the cards, but just speculating due to the fact that folks are saying that Brian seems to be pushing off the solo album. I don't think it's a given that a solo album would come out at the exact same time as the biopic, because promoting the album would distract from promoting the film (and it contains material that presumably isn't in the film).

If I were Brian (and granted, I'M NOT!), it would make sense to release a solo album after film comes out, because he will get more publicity and build a larger audience for himself if the film does any business at all. Time the release so it's not right at the exact same time as the film release, but maybe a month or two later. If there are any catalog releases associated with the film, it will give those a chance to sell. He could also release a single or two around the time of the film instead of a whole album, or maybe there will be a new track or two on any soundtrack album, then dovetail into an entire solo album.  Which would be followed by a tour of the States and selected European/Australian/Asian countries.

Also, it's pretty much a given that the film will have a soundtrack album, whether Brian is officially working on one right now or not. He's probably been working on it all along, or somebody is. Every film has a soundtrack album. It will be interesting how much is Beach Boys and how much is Brian solo.

I was talking with a guy about what the soundtrack of Love & Mercy could be, and my basic assumption was thus: First, you probably throw a few Beach Boys hits on there (probably something like "Surfin' U.S.A.", "Wouldn't It Be Nice" and "Heroes And Villains") to rope in the random person who might have went to the movie and wants a few Beach Boys songs). Then maybe some Beach Boys album cuts, likely stuff like "This Whole World" or "'Til I Die". Then, since the movie is called Love & Mercy, that's probably gonna be on there. However, since the original recording is obviously pretty '80s, I could see Brian re-recording it. Now yes, I know he rerecorded in for the I Just Wasn't Made For These Times and then he also recorded in '05 as the medley with "Walking Down the Path of Life", but obviously the former was more of a piece with that album/film, and that the latter was a medley. And anyways, B Dub's management might think this would be a good opportunity to get the song out their again with a stately, Pet Sounds-like arrangement, and include that on the soundtrack as the one "new" Brian Wilson song included (note that I don't personally think that re-recording it that way would be all that smart).

Now anyways, after that, it's possibe, depending on licensing, that maybe you could end up with some other artists stuff. Maybe some Crystals, Ronettes, Beatles, possibly some Four Freshman even. Lastly, my biggest hope is that they decide to share previously unreleased older material, maybe like the piano and vocal version of "In the Back of My Mind" from 1975. I think something like that would be possible.

Anyways, sorry for going off on that tangent everybody. But I figured I'd just throw my opinion in here and say that I'm pretty sure that Brian's latest recordings will be for his new solo album, and that this album project will likely be an entirely different thing altogether than whatever this soundtrack ends up being (if there even is a soundtrack).
« Last Edit: January 11, 2014, 10:06:37 PM by sweetdudejim » Logged
Myk Luhv
Smiley Smile Associate

"...and I said, 'Oatmeal? Are you crazy?!'"

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: January 11, 2014, 12:07:35 AM »

There had better be a scene that's 20 minutes of Brian playing the "Shortenin' Bread" riff, and an accompanying 20-minute-long version of it on the soundtrack.
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #83 on: January 11, 2014, 05:31:23 AM »

Willing to learn and not trying to be cocky: Shouldn't it be "three or so albums' worth of material", with the apostrophe at the end?

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: January 11, 2014, 09:31:15 AM »

Then, since the movie is called Love & Mercy, that's probably gonna be on there. However, since the original recording is obviously pretty '80s, I could see Brian re-recording it.

Ever since this movie was announced, I've wondered this same thing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PISkFEzC5XE - If he did rerecord it, I can see something like this being done (choir included - makes it sound heavenly).

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #85 on: January 11, 2014, 09:42:03 AM »

Willing to learn and not trying to be cocky: Shouldn't it be "three or so albums' worth of material", with the apostrophe at the end?

Indeed, and you know damn well I can't correct your Russian grammar and spelling, dammit.  LOL

urbanite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: January 12, 2014, 10:21:05 PM »

If the release of the new album is pushed back, that's an indication it's not very good.  If it's good, they'll be trying to get it out sooner.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #87 on: January 12, 2014, 10:48:12 PM »

Oh, I dunno - the release of Smile was delayed some 45 years, and that wasn't exactly shabby, was it ?  Grin

Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: January 12, 2014, 11:36:52 PM »

So maybe we'll be getting Brian's new music around 2050?
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: January 13, 2014, 12:34:30 AM »

I suspect it is a well organised campaign to tie in the movie and album release around the same period to maximise both exposure and sales. Brian's people are on top of it so don't worry!

(cough) Wink
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #90 on: January 13, 2014, 05:47:46 AM »

Oh, I dunno - the release of Smile was delayed some 45 years, and that wasn't exactly shabby, was it ?  Grin

Ahh, the wrapping was the best about it. Wink 2

Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #91 on: January 13, 2014, 06:28:08 AM »

Indeed, and you know damn well I can't correct your Russian grammar and spelling, dammit.  LOL

You have to be content with being able to correct all my misunderstandings regarding the Beach Boys. Smiley

Paul J B
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: January 13, 2014, 07:24:38 AM »

If the release of the new album is pushed back, that's an indication it's not very good.  If it's good, they'll be trying to get it out sooner.

Not sure about that....but it's very odd that it would be pushed back that far period. I guess it could coincide with the film as Stebbins suggested, but that seems really odd to me because the buzz around 'the new album' was already way last year and the Brian and Beck thing is long gone.

The threads about any upcoming BB's related shows this year are what got me wondering whatever happened to all this great new material. I think Brian on the road makes little sense these days, and since he was out there with Beck a few months ago and this new stuff was absent..... it makes no sense.

And why take a break if in Brian was really on a creative roll? A break to go back to touring?
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: January 13, 2014, 11:13:51 AM »

Any news on the book? That was set for 2015 so they could be all due in a spread late this year and early next.
KittyKat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: January 13, 2014, 11:44:16 AM »

Who is going to be "singing" the role of Brian, in his various guises (there are at least three different actors playing him at three different stages of his life)? Brian did an overdub for the "American Family" movie to provide his own voice for a piano-only scene. It was jarring because the scene was young Brian and he doesn't sound like that anymore. Are the actors going to try to sound like him, or did they hire somebody, or is Brian going to attempt it himself? If it's the last, he might be busy providing some vocals for the movie songs.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: January 13, 2014, 12:37:15 PM »

Not sure about that....but it's very odd that it would be pushed back that far period. I guess it could coincide with the film as Stebbins suggested, but that seems really odd to me because the buzz around 'the new album' was already way last year and the Brian and Beck thing is long gone.

The threads about any upcoming BB's related shows this year are what got me wondering whatever happened to all this great new material. I think Brian on the road makes little sense these days, and since he was out there with Beck a few months ago and this new stuff was absent..... it makes no sense.

And why take a break if in Brian was really on a creative roll? A break to go back to touring?
My thoughts exactly.
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: January 17, 2014, 06:05:04 AM »

From Brian's Facebook page, today:

Brian is back at it! In the studio with Scott, Darian and Shane.

Fall Breaks
Smiley Smile Associate

How it really got to my soul

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: January 17, 2014, 06:30:25 AM »

Who's Shane?

"I think people should write better melodies and sing a little sweeter, and knock off that stupid rap crap, y’know? Rap is really ridiculous" -- Brian Wilson, 2010
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: January 17, 2014, 07:07:04 AM »

Brian did a fall tour in the midst of recording the Gershwin record, IIRC. So it's not unheard of.

And given that no one has ever said when the new record is coming out, all this talk of delay is nonsense.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: January 17, 2014, 09:46:17 AM »

Who's Shane?

I'm very glad you asked that! Didn't want to b first…

“We live in divisive times.”
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 22 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx