gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 06:41:58 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Rate The Pet Sounds Sessions
5 - 67 (90.5%)
4 - 6 (8.1%)
3 - 1 (1.4%)
2 - 0 (0%)
1 - 0 (0%)
0 - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 68

Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Pet Sounds Sessions  (Read 51180 times)
Myk Luhv
Smiley Smile Associate

"...and I said, 'Oatmeal? Are you crazy?!'"

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 19, 2010, 04:15:57 PM »

I gave it a five, but both volumes of this album in the Unsurpassed Masters series are pretty wonderful. And who doesn't want eight discs instead of a measly four!
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 19, 2010, 06:04:02 PM »

I don't even recall if I voted (and surely I didn't give it the despised 3). But maybe the culprit did so because of what the album is: not everyone wants to hear sessions and alternate takes, you know. Some people prefer the end result. Actually, as interesting as sessions and outtakes are, I know I prefer proper albums in the long run. The "of, the could've..." game can drive a person nuts.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 19, 2010, 06:51:41 PM »

I don't even recall if I voted (and surely I didn't give it the despised 3). But maybe the culprit did so because of what the album is: not everyone wants to hear sessions and alternate takes, you know. Some people prefer the end result. Actually, as interesting as sessions and outtakes are, I know I prefer proper albums in the long run. The "of, the could've..." game can drive a person nuts.

For musicians it is priceless material....especially the interview booklet that comes with it. I can see why some would rather hear just the album itself....that doesn't justify a three star rating however - even the most uninterested person could see the effort that went into this package - the two booklets and 4 discs of mono/stereo vocal/instrumental sessions and alternate/final mixes, yadayadayada...but maybe that's just me being ignorant  Grin

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 19, 2010, 06:54:16 PM »

Seeing the effort--and even quality--and wanting to sit down to listen to it are two different things! In the end, there is nothing better than a good, solid 35-minute album. That is my--as a guy who has been known to continue revisiting his own songs for literally a decade or more and fiddling with every stupid alternative on earth--opinion.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 19, 2010, 07:38:33 PM »

Seeing the effort--and even quality--and wanting to sit down to listen to it are two different things!

haha point taken. I'm just ignorant, that's all  Grin - but that 'Don't Talk vocal snippet' is damn near the finest recording of the human voice. ever. that in itself should make everyone rate this 5 stars. lol, yet again my ignorance clouds my thinking  Grin

In the end, there is nothing better than a good, solid 35-minute album. That is my--as a guy who has been known to continue revisiting his own songs for literally a decade or more and fiddling with every stupid alternative on earth--opinion.

what's that Da Vinci quote in the 'Beautiful Dreamer' documentary? "Art is never finished, it's just abandoned"

I've been working on one song for 2 years now, almost completely thought out and just needs to be properly recorded. It's like a never ending process when it is something very special.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Curtis Leon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 20, 2010, 12:59:19 AM »

I have this entire boxset on my mp3 player, simply to amaze my friends on the go. Listen to the instrumental backing track to "Here Today" simply for THOSE DRUMS
Also, I thought AGD said something about Carl singing all takes of God Only Knows?
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 11, 2012, 02:24:35 PM »

I realised after all this time i should listen to the 'bonus' disc, to see if it sounded much different to my 1990 PS CD. Now, I am at a crossroads here: the Sessions Mono disk has a lot more power to it, but it has ALOT more hiss than the 1990 version*, (mainly on WIBN and IWFTD) and so can grate on me.

*I realise the No-Noising on the 1990 CD takes away the punch.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2012, 02:27:36 PM by mrmoustachioto » Logged

Check out the Mono/Stereo Mix Breakdown podcast Mixology here: https://mixology.podbean.com/
blank
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 10, 2012, 09:00:07 PM »

I bought PSS on iTunes, and was very disappointed to find that three tracks had major glitches that made them unlistenable.  Thankfully, iTunes was kind to refund me for the purchase.  Since then, I've tried replacing the defective tracks, but have had no luck.  The mp3s on Amazon seem to carry the same errors, and even a torrent I found had them, too!

Has anyone else run into this problem, or, do these errors exist on the CD version???

the defects are:

You Still Believe In Me (Stereo Backing Track) - Unpleasant digital artifacts disbursed throughout the track… especially noticable after 55 seconds and around 2:13.  Awful skip at the 1:35 mark…
That's Not Me (Highlights from Tracking Date)  - around :48 there are two skips
I'm Waiting for the Day (Stereo Backing Track)  - around :11 there is a skip
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 11, 2012, 04:42:39 AM »

I thought, nah, the CD's fine, went to play the rip on my iTunes..... and there was a skip in Waiting For The Day. So I guess that answers your question.... But I'd never noticed it before !

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
blank
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 11, 2012, 11:35:33 AM »

Ok, thanks.  Were there also the defects on You Still Believe In Me (Stereo Backing Track) and That's Not Me (Highlights from Tracking Date) ?
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: August 13, 2012, 02:34:58 PM »

What's left on the Unsurpassed Masters that we don't have on this box set?

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 13, 2012, 03:33:06 PM »

A lot of different takes and rehearsals. Also, tons of studio chatter.
Things that probably aren't deemed necessary (and in some cases, appropriate) for official release, but fascinating for fans.

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 14, 2012, 01:47:40 PM »

A lot of different takes and rehearsals. Also, tons of studio chatter.
Things that probably aren't deemed necessary (and in some cases, appropriate) for official release, but fascinating for fans.

Right right. But I suggest that the remaster to be released this fall to contain some of these, just to get a glimpse of the production of Pet Sounds.
Heck, I'd settle for Brian just playing each track on the piano.

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
scooby1970
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: June 25, 2013, 04:11:40 AM »

Essential Beach Boys listening.

Smiley Mark

Long time Beach Boys fan and collector. Long time forum browser.
bluesno1fann
« Reply #64 on: September 14, 2013, 07:38:20 PM »

A must-have in anyone's essential music collection.
5 out of 5.
silodweller
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 24, 2013, 05:07:06 AM »

A great set.  Only issue I have is the mono version that was included.  I don't know if anyone else noticed a lot of "clicks" and wavering (the latter especially prevalent in "Let's Go Away For Awhile") throughout the album?  I have the original vinyl 1966 mono pressing and I don't hear any of that. 

"Carl broke his cigarette over his G string, we're sorry..."
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 24, 2013, 06:59:52 AM »

A great set.  Only issue I have is the mono version that was included.  I don't know if anyone else noticed a lot of "clicks" and wavering (the latter especially prevalent in "Let's Go Away For Awhile") throughout the album?  I have the original vinyl 1966 mono pressing and I don't hear any of that. 
I agree! That has to be the worst mono release of Pet Sounds on CD. It is also very tinny sounding, as well.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Mr. Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

Surfs up around these parts.!

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 01, 2014, 05:27:09 PM »

This is essential to any BB fan and is a welcome addition to my collection.. Vocals only is astounding to hear and gives me GOOSEBUMPS.. Happy Dance Happy Dance  The instrumental tracks you can hear all the stuff you couldn't hear before and is fun + educational to hear.. A fine tribute to a great album..   5/5
bluesno1fann
« Reply #68 on: January 01, 2014, 10:18:59 PM »

Mike Love must have been the one who rated this a 3  LOL

Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 01, 2014, 11:04:09 PM »

Mike Love must have been the one who rated this a 3  LOL

LOLOLOL

Mr. Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

Surfs up around these parts.!

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 02, 2014, 01:02:36 PM »

Mike who..??  Oh on  Wikipedia On the Mike Love page they state that Mike was drunk that famous nite he tore everyone a new AHOLE.. I did not know this or ever read that anywhere..  LOL   R+R HOF Speech
« Last Edit: January 22, 2014, 02:24:24 PM by Mr. Wilson » Logged
Mujan, 8@$+@Rc| of a Blue Wizard
Smiley Smile Associate

SMiLE is America: Infinite Potential Never Reached

View Profile WWW
« Reply #71 on: January 14, 2015, 02:45:31 PM »

I dont own it, but c'mon. 'Nuff said.

5/5

Here are my SMiLE Mixes. All are 2 suite, but still vastly different in several ways. Be on the lookout for another, someday.

Aquarian SMiLE>HERE
Dumb Angel (Olorin Edition)>HERE
Dumb Angel [the Romestamo Cut]>HERE

& This is a new pet project Ive worked on, which combines Fritz Lang's classic film, Metropolis (1927) with The United States of America (1968) as a new soundtrack. More info is in the video description.
The American Metropolitan Circus>HERE
[
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 04, 2019, 10:55:36 AM »

I dont own it, but c'mon. 'Nuff said.

5/5

I'm seeing this topic for the first time... Shocked

I do own it--it was my last big BB outlay. As you say: 'Nuff said. Wink

5/5

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx