gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 04:13:25 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Rate The Greatest Hits - Volume 1: 20 Good Vibrations

Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Greatest Hits - Volume 1: 20 Good Vibrations  (Read 7624 times)
Jason
« on: September 24, 2013, 09:32:19 AM »

Discuss, review, and rate The Greatest Hits - Volume 1: 20 Good Vibrations, released April 4, 1995.

Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2013, 09:36:20 AM »

God Only Knows...followed by 409
what?

3/5, tracks do not fit next to each other well

drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2013, 09:45:19 AM »

Rated:  5

I prefer the 1999 version to the 1995 one. The 1999 version is a great way to pick up all the single mono tracks.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
bluesno1fann
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2013, 09:01:43 PM »

The 1999 version is a lot better than the 1995 version, mainly because of the running order.
Nice cover art, BTW.
3.5 out of 5.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2013, 06:54:22 AM »

The 1999 version is a lot better than the 1995 version, mainly because of the running order.
Nice cover art, BTW.
3.5 out of 5.
Yeppers, I love the genius who thought up the idea of sequencing it by order of release. The stinker even threw in Kokomo as a bonus. Wink

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2013, 08:07:19 AM »

This was the second album I owned by The Beach Boys. I bought it on a whim in Circuit City when I was in high school I think.

Listened to only the surf songs on occasion, skipped all the Pet Sounds material (didn't even know what Pet Sounds was at that point). Then one day I tried WIBN, Sloop, and GOK. My mind was blown away, immediately bought Pet Sounds, then sunk into an obsession that will consume me til I die.

I rate it from the perspective as a newbie fan, 5/5 - it's full of great hits, Pet Sounds material, and Kokomo isn't that bad of a song Grin

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Mr. Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

Surfs up around these parts.!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2014, 05:07:04 PM »

A greatest hits collection by the greatest USA band of all time 10/10
Mujan, 8@$+@Rc| of a Blue Wizard
Smiley Smile Associate

SMiLE is America: Infinite Potential Never Reached

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2015, 10:14:23 AM »

This is it for me. This is the album my family had and that made me a fan. This was the soundtrack to many a summer for us. Great collection of songs, though it does give a bit of a one-sided picture (all of them are the upbeat fun in the sun variety except the PS tracks). I think it's funny how I saw my tastes evolve  even in just those few years. In the beginning, I Get Around and California Girls were the best cuts as far as I was concerned. Then the Pet Sounds tracks started to resonate with me more and more over time until they were my faves and sought out the album they came from. I really started to notice how much more advanced GV was too.

I take off a star because Kokomo really doesn't fit. No, not because it's Mike, because it's from 20 years later and sounds completely different than the other tracks. GV would have been a much stronger finale that showed the band's growth over their first 5 years. Barbara Ann is also a complete waste of a track. Almost anything else would have been better. Even as a kid I knew that song was garbage. Still a heartfelt 4/5.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2015, 10:17:07 AM by Mujan, B@st@rd Son of a Blue Wizard » Logged

Here are my SMiLE Mixes. All are 2 suite, but still vastly different in several ways. Be on the lookout for another, someday.

Aquarian SMiLE>HERE
Dumb Angel (Olorin Edition)>HERE
Dumb Angel [the Romestamo Cut]>HERE

& This is a new pet project Ive worked on, which combines Fritz Lang's classic film, Metropolis (1927) with The United States of America (1968) as a new soundtrack. More info is in the video description.
The American Metropolitan Circus>HERE
[
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2015, 10:36:28 AM »

Remember too that in 1995-6 this package was a stand alone with mostly stereo tracks. With a second package not then in the works, Kokomo was thrown on there to cover all the number one hits. Then in 1999 it was redone as a mono singles package, with volumes two and three planned to capture all of the singles in a neat three CD configuration. I am surprised that they didn't move to volume three to help it sell.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2015, 10:38:26 AM by drbeachboy » Logged

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2016, 12:18:17 AM »

There were already so many GH type collections out there, this one seemed pointless. And was Kokomo the only hit they had after the 60's?
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx