gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 04:55:18 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Rate Best of the Beach Boys

Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Best of The Beach Boys  (Read 6341 times)
Jason
« on: September 24, 2013, 09:22:05 AM »

Discuss, review, and rate Best of The Beach Boys, released July 5, 1966.

« Last Edit: September 24, 2013, 09:25:29 AM by The Real Beach Boy » Logged
Mr. Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

Surfs up around these parts.!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2013, 08:06:43 PM »

Well I was 14 yrs old when this came out and it thru me for a loop.. What the hell is Louie Louie  doin on here..  When you grow up with The Kingsmen version everything else pales in comparison. And there is only 5 true hits  on here + the rest "B" sides and LP tracks..  Thought the record was odd..4/5
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2013, 02:40:55 PM »

Gonna rate the UK version since that's the one I know - and that is a perfect pre-GV Comp 5/5

It's insane that they released the track listing like that in the US!

Check out the Mono/Stereo Mix Breakdown podcast Mixology here: https://mixology.podbean.com/
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2014, 12:24:42 PM »

OK...Yes I get that it's an old and ignored topic but I'm new here...so it's brand spankin' fresh to me.  Besides...I had to explain the 0 I gave it.  Timing.  The record company sabotaged 'Pet Sounds' with THIS?  As someone pointed out...with 'Louie Louie'?  At least when Richard Berry recorded it originally it was unique and  it was well done.  [And there was no Kingsmen version to compare it to.]

These greatest hits packages were always just a record company RIP.  They didn't do this to the Beatles while they were active and creative.  While 'Endless Summer' and 'Spirit of America' may have been more of the same...they were better done and contributed to rather than hindered the group.  These 3 greatest hits releases?  Pure foolishness.

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2014, 11:10:15 PM »

The kid next door had this album - well actually, his sister did. But anyway, we listened to it, liked it at 10 years old, nothing wrong with the music, but song selection is totally random and definitely not the right album to have on the market after Pet Sounds.
Mujan, 8@$+@Rc| of a Blue Wizard
Smiley Smile Associate

SMiLE is America: Infinite Potential Never Reached

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2015, 12:26:32 PM »

OK...Yes I get that it's an old and ignored topic but I'm new here...so it's brand spankin' fresh to me.  Besides...I had to explain the 0 I gave it.  Timing.  The record company sabotaged 'Pet Sounds' with THIS?  As someone pointed out...with 'Louie Louie'?  At least when Richard Berry recorded it originally it was unique and  it was well done.  [And there was no Kingsmen version to compare it to.]

These greatest hits packages were always just a record company RIP.  They didn't do this to the Beatles while they were active and creative.  While 'Endless Summer' and 'Spirit of America' may have been more of the same...they were better done and contributed to rather than hindered the group.  These 3 greatest hits releases?  Pure foolishness.

Absolutely this, and I give this a 0 for the same reasons. This LP has no reason to exist, period. And the world of music is much worse off for its existence. Capitol ought to be ashamed; I hope the cheap, quick cash grab was worth it. It was one-time instant gratification whereas if they had just supported Brian we might have gotten more Pet Sounds quality albums that continued to ship units and command interest in the band year after year after year. What a waste.

Here are my SMiLE Mixes. All are 2 suite, but still vastly different in several ways. Be on the lookout for another, someday.

Aquarian SMiLE>HERE
Dumb Angel (Olorin Edition)>HERE
Dumb Angel [the Romestamo Cut]>HERE

& This is a new pet project Ive worked on, which combines Fritz Lang's classic film, Metropolis (1927) with The United States of America (1968) as a new soundtrack. More info is in the video description.
The American Metropolitan Circus>HERE
[
NateRuvin
Smiley Smile Associate

"I had to prove that I could make it alone"...

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2015, 12:11:19 PM »

Aside from the history of this album, it's a great one. Unfortunately its timing was crushing to Brian. He just finished PS, which he labored over, and Capitol almost immediately put this out. The songs are great though. In my mind this is notorious, as it's the start of the ENDLESS release of various compilations all containing the same songs....  Undecided
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx