gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 09:19:08 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Rate The Many Moods of Murry Wilson

Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Many Moods of Murry Wilson  (Read 12724 times)
Jason
« on: September 24, 2013, 08:54:36 AM »

Discuss, review, and rate The Many Moods of Murry Wilson, released October 1967.

« Last Edit: September 24, 2013, 09:03:11 AM by The Real Beach Boy » Logged
Jason
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2013, 08:58:04 AM »

Eh. It's a 1.5, rounded up to 2. Island in the Sky is about the only good track; the rest is completely dated filth that would have sounded bad in 1947 let alone 1957. The fact that this was actually released is laughable.

See, the reason the space age pop and lounge revivals happened was because those records were actually good. This isn't even good as kitsch; it just sucks.
Heysaboda
Smiley Smile Associate

Son, don't wait till the break of day....

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2013, 09:09:35 AM »

So, you're saying I shouldn't buy it??   Grin

Son, don't wait till the break of day 'cause you know how time fades away......
bluesno1fann
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2013, 04:56:04 PM »

I'll give this a surprising 3. Why?

Because you have to accept this for what it is. It's not groundbreaking Beach Boys music, Murry Wilson doesn't have the talents of any of his sons, and not to mention he is extremely square. Once you accept that this is Murry Wilson and not the Beach Boys, you can start to enjoy it a bit more.

Yes, the Music was hopelessly outdated in a year that Sgt. Pepper, The Doors, Are You Experienced?, Disraeli Gears, etc. were released. Once again, when you accept that, you can start to enjoy it. It makes you feel like your in a bygone age.

The music isn't too bad, I enjoy it. I've always had a soft spot for that sort of music, although I enjoy proper late 60's music a lot more. Favourites include Murry's cover of "The Warmth Of The Sun", "Broken Heart", "Islands In The Sky", and "Heartbreak Lane". Al Jardine's "Italia" is interesting, and worth a listen.

3 out of 5.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2013, 05:12:33 PM by bluesno1fann » Logged
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2013, 05:07:32 PM »

Yes, the Music was hopelessly outdated in a year that Sgt. Pepper, The Doors, Are You Experienced?, Disraeli Gears, etc. were released. Once again, when you accept that, you can start to enjoy it.

Indeed. I love this type of music - a few of the songs are rather awful, but others are great. Island in the Sky is one of my favorite songs period, has been since I heard the album.

3/5 for me as well.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
bluesno1fann
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2013, 10:43:41 PM »

So, you're saying I shouldn't buy it??   Grin
Well, if you're either not into lounge music from the 50's and early 60's, or you can't really accept the album for what it is, then the only real reason to get this album is if you're a completist
feelsflow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2013, 10:10:37 PM »

I wouldn't even call this "Lounge" - this is what was piped into every grocery and department store in the '50's and early '60's, and Murry was late for the dance with most of this.  I can't even give it 2, 1 is enough.  I don't own it.  Not trying to hurt anyone's feelings now, Some of it is pleasant.  My mama blasted Ferrante and Teicher and Roger Williams, and I'm a John Barry and Stephen Sondheim fan for it.  Sondheim, those discs he put out with just him at piano and singing back in the '40's thru the '60's - that's heavy "Lounge" Cheesy  Oh, and I'll mention Jimmy Webb, Have all his stuff - Richard Harris, the 5th D, the Rhino Box.  All of it.  That's why I love what Brian was doing with Adult/Child and Love You.  Reminds me I need to go comment on the new Webb deal with Brian, last time I looked it was taking a beating.  Mine is still in wish list (MIC was a real hit). Drumroll  You know, Brian gets lots of offers to be a part of other peoples projects, he only takes a few.  But, back on topic.  If you want to get into this for real, go out and find Jimmy Smith records.  Or even better, Brian Auger in the early '60's - he won pop polls for this kind of stuff.  And, much hipper.  That's "Lounge"  Smokin I like Heartbreak Lane, Just 'Round the River Bend, and as you say Islands in the Sky.  But this is like 101 Strings or Welk, and his Happy bubbles, I don't think Brian was influenced by it.  Happy Song is a Polka.  And Italia is a rip on Third Man Theme  - when did Al write this?  More importantly, did Murry have a bubble machine in the studio?  You can just see the wife and kids sitting around listening to this.  "Yes dear, we all loved your Love Won't Wait, we loved them all, now off to bed."
« Last Edit: September 27, 2013, 11:10:46 PM by feelsflow » Logged

...if you are honest - you have no idea where childhood ends and maturity begins.  It is all endless and all one.  ~ P.L. Travers        And, let's get this out of the way now, everything I post is my opinion.  ~ Will
bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2013, 10:57:54 PM »

I have played this quite a few times........ but it still sucks ass....

Murray may have had 'the gift' also, but I don't hear it on this....

Odd album really, I don't know what he was proving by releasing this...

Still, a good dust collector to have..... for history sake's

RickB
Mr. Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

Surfs up around these parts.!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2013, 08:03:53 PM »

Where"s my pooper scooper.. And Murry had the nerve to charge this recording to the BB account.. LOL !!
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2013, 09:21:53 PM »

I LOVE this album! And I'm not being sarcastic. (Keep in mine I enjoy Lawrence Welk and easy listening/lounge type music). I don't know any titles except for Warmth of the Sun and Italia (Jardine)because my source was a burnt CD-R. What's funnier is it had as track one: Murry's Kentucky Fried Chicken jingle. And the second half of the cdr was Jack Riley's album Western Justice (very odd pairing). Now there's a good side album, I loved that album, if the Boys had done backing vocals for the album, it'd been better!

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
bluesno1fann
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2013, 09:24:20 PM »

I LOVE this album! And I'm not being sarcastic. (Keep in mine I enjoy Lawrence Welk and easy listening/lounge type music). I don't know any titles except for Warmth of the Sun and Italia (Jardine)because my source was a burnt CD-R. What's funnier is it had as track one: Murry's Kentucky Fried Chicken jingle. And the second half of the cdr was Jack Riley's album Western Justice (very odd pairing). Now there's a good side album, I loved that album, if the Boys had done backing vocals for the album, it'd been better!
Wow I'm actually surprised there's someone who loves Many Moods lol
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2014, 04:40:34 PM »

0.5 for the opening couple of bars to Plumber's Tune; nice one, Ed and Don.

0 for the rest of the Plumber's Tune and the rest of the album.

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2014, 09:20:53 AM »

I'm giving it a 4 but one of those stars is solely for the kitsch value. It's the Wilson Brother's dad for christsakes!

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
bluesno1fann
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2018, 02:10:30 AM »

Four and a half years later, I give this album another spin.... I take back most of my earlier defence of the album.

By and large a forgettable mediocrity - even for the type of music it was going for - this album is really of interest to die-hard Beach Boys completists only. That said, Islands In The Sky is a damn fine track, and Italia is quite well done as well. So yeah, not without its redeemable moments. Two stars out of five.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2018, 02:45:08 AM »

By and large a forgettable mediocrity - even for the type of music it was going for - this album is really of interest to die-hard Beach Boys completists only. That said, Islands In The Sky is a damn fine track, and Italia is quite well done as well. So yeah, not without its redeemable moments. Two stars out of five.

Yes, those two. Which is why I gave it a generous three stars. The rest veers from forgettable to downright silly.

The LP cost me a fortune! First thing I did was scratch side one----badly. Not a good start. Grin 

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2018, 04:39:13 AM »

Can you elaborate on that, RR? Smokin

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx