gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680552 Posts in 27595 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 19, 2024, 02:23:10 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Hey Everybody  (Read 27970 times)
feelsflow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: September 21, 2013, 04:09:53 PM »

Well, let's see if I can do this...  My name is Will Harris.  I first noticed The Beach Boys in 1964, I was 12 years old.  Not too big on the surfin' tunes, but I loved all the car theme tracks.  The trade-off for being old now, meant you got to live through a great time in America.  My cousin was a DJ, and would feed me the popular singles of the day.  Like for most youngsters, that was the "girl groups", "Little" Stevie (early Motown), and of course The Beatles.  The Beatles ruled 1964. But, The Beach Boys were there too.  I was a fan in '64, by '65 I was a fanatic.  The Beatles got all the promotional push from Capitol, from cards to key chains, but The Beach Boys had Brian.  Once he left the road... magic.  As the '60's moved on, the Wilson brothers became very special to me (sorry, Marianne).  As a teen my favorite was Carl, until I learned who was singing all the lead vocals on the ones I liked best.  Yes, yes - Mike and Al were part of the stack, and were there when Brian needed them... but, Brian was all of what was.  Until 1968, but that's to be discussed later.  I do want to give a shout out to Billy (great thread starter), who's help with that "robot thingy" got me here.  And to all the mods, Jason (positive and intelligent), and Klaas & Jonas (I have been lurking here for years, but I hardly know -but for a post here and there).  All good wishes.  signed sincerely,   feelsflow                                     Now, let's see if this will post. Cool Guy

...if you are honest - you have no idea where childhood ends and maturity begins.  It is all endless and all one.  ~ P.L. Travers        And, let's get this out of the way now, everything I post is my opinion.  ~ Will
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2013, 09:27:14 AM »

Well ff no one else has welcomed you so I'll do the honours, even though I don't post here that much: WELCOME!

I did enjoy your post in the Band topic: most enlightening----and a great read. :=)

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
feelsflow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2013, 01:52:31 PM »

Thanks John         Strange my first post was on a Band thread.  Caught my eye yesterday.  I moved to the Woodstock area back in 1998, after living in San Francisco for 19 years.  I'm semi-retired and this place is nice.  Lots of artists live here, though Woodstock itself is really no different than say Carmel - rows of trinket-shops, with a hippie slant.  Keep hoping to run into Donald Fagen in a grocery store or something, Libby got him to move up here.  I grew up in a country setting, Northern Louisiana, and wanted to come back to a peaceful place to grow old.  Before you say oh no, it wasn't so bad, America in the 50's and 60's was great about everywhere.  But, soon as high school was over (1970) I went straight to California, by October I was on the beach in Waikiki.  After five months I had to come back home for college, but then in 1973 I moved to the Santa Cruz Mountains.  The Beach Boys avoided the south after that '68 tour. Finally I got to see them at Winterland in 1973, and at The San Francisco Civic in '74.  Winterland was the best - one of my very favorite records is Carl and The Passions.  I really need to go back and put more info in my "Hey Everybody"... eh, later.  I want to post more, but lurking is more fun.  Before I go...I forgot to thank Chuck for keeping this site up.  Thanks Chuck, you should post more, but if not we'll always have Brian - Live at the Handlery Hotel 1990, what a laugh.  Let's Smile.

...if you are honest - you have no idea where childhood ends and maturity begins.  It is all endless and all one.  ~ P.L. Travers        And, let's get this out of the way now, everything I post is my opinion.  ~ Will
feelsflow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2013, 02:29:47 PM »

John,    Will again.  Noticed you had your own forum across the pond.  I joined using my same info as here.  Oh, and to clarify for those not in the USA, Carmel is the California one.  A groovy place.  I lived for a few months in Pacific Grove near there.  And yes, Clint Eastwood was very visible... the everyman mayor.  John,  update.  I'm in!  All is well  Grin     Edit:  I've been checking out some of your posts.  You are a smart guy - keep it up!  I'm learning something here...
« Last Edit: October 06, 2013, 08:32:52 AM by feelsflow » Logged

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2013, 02:38:22 PM »

Welcome! Grin

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
feelsflow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2013, 02:53:51 PM »

Thanks SMiLE Brian    I see you were just at that positive Mike thread.  I'm on my way back over there.  I like Mike.  Well, liked him better before he shot his mouth off
about Dennis at the Circle Star in '81.  Nice to have you stop by. Brian's Trip
« Last Edit: September 24, 2013, 03:00:58 PM by feelsflow » Logged

Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2013, 03:10:56 PM »

In 1973 I moved to the Santa Cruz Mountains. 

I live near there now!

Finally I got to see them at Winterland in 1973, and at The San Francisco Civic in '74.  Winterland was the best.

I was there too - at both venues. And at Sacramento Memorial the week after the Winterland gigs, November 1973!

Live at the Handlery Hotel 1990, what a laugh.

I was there too! And a couple of years later at the ESQ convention in San Diego.

Welcome to the bored, Feelsflow!

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2013, 03:15:46 PM »

Well, liked him better before he shot his mouth off
about Dennis at the Circle Star in '81.

I was there too! San Carlos, Ca. December 4, 1981.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
feelsflow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2013, 11:40:55 AM »

Tanks  Thud  for dropping by Mikie,       1973-'75, those were mellow years in my life.  I lived in Brookdale, on Alta Via Drive about half way up the mountain.  I Google Earth-ed it last night and see it now looks very run down, so does the Lodge.  Never understood why they called it "Drive", 'cause you still can't get more than one car down it without the other pulling over. The health-food store is still standing too.  I often vacationed in Santa Cruz after I moved up to The City, but not after the earthquake.  Broke my heart what that did.  I love where I live now.  Love having seasons.  Had a cool easy summer, and it's going into fall early this year.  Take care buddy, see you on the boards.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2013, 01:09:55 PM by feelsflow » Logged

bluesno1fann
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2013, 10:47:12 PM »

Welcome to this humble forum  Cheesy
feelsflow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2013, 08:16:10 AM »

Hey bluesno1fann,    My, we joined at about the same time.  Bubbly Waves too, and you are both near 300 posts!  I have less than 10 - I've been reading (and learning) here for over 3 years before deciding to post - humble it ain't.  I even commented on one of your posts last night, before seeing you'd stopped by my welcome.  There are a lot of smart people here.  But, some of them bite.  Check out "surfers" posts, and you will see what I mean.  Lots of Trolls and Snarks about in these woods.  Be cool, and research research research. Jedi Duel   Head Spin

smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2013, 12:23:13 AM »

Just home from a holiday. A belated welcome from me as well. Smiley

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2013, 02:53:28 PM »

welcome aboard

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2013, 09:04:51 PM »

Hello and welcome!

It's always great to have people around who were actually there when it happened.

I look forward to what you have to say  Smiley
feelsflow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2013, 06:38:24 AM »

Just home from a holiday. A belated welcome from me as well. Smiley

Hi Klaas, Thank you for stopping by my welcome page.  I have been having a good time here since I quit being "just a lurker," and started posting.  Had a couple of "live with the thread" days, which is way fun.  Glad to see you posting a bit more too.  The one thing I have trouble with, is not knowing who I'm addressing - some of these aliases are cool, but it's hard to seem in anyway serious when say someone like Billy, with his changing with the wind monikers, - funny as they are, - if I do get a chance to answer one of his posts (and I have), I call him Billy.  He helped me get on the board, after I had a tough time with the robot filter.  Also, let me say I respect what you, Jason, and Billy are doing for this board, I wouldn't want to do it.  Jason can do it very well, and with humor.  I was lurking "live" the thread when Bergen had his melt down, and Jason tried to cool the situation with - "Is that you, Bruce?" - Hope I'm not stepping on any "rule toes" relating that out here in public.  I have read the Rules.  It's just a little complement to him.  He has some great posts, including very informative lists, he does a lot of research.  The Best thing about reading here is the Knowledge you can pick up.  No other board has the kind of heavy-hitters that visit here.  And I do mean, not "Steve's Place."  I lurk there sometimes, they watch Smiley Smile dot, and re-post it there!  Before I go, let me say...You are living in one of my very favorite places on earth.  I've never been there, but would love to.  Not being rich is a bitch.  Also, noticed that you have not gotten the won-won-wonderful MIC.  Get it quick!  A thing of beauty for us who have not spent years collecting boots.  Even back in the 80's I figured "they will get this stuff out soon."  Still wrong, there is so much more that could get out.  Like Adult/Child, but I did pop for that boot, and the others in that "Brother Records" series from the mid-80's.  Take care buddy, see you out there on the boards.             Will

feelsflow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2013, 07:14:22 AM »

welcome aboard
hey southbay, Sorry to take so long getting back to you.  I do thank you for coming by my welcome page.  I checked some of your posts, and noticed the old RS cover with Brian.  I still have my copy, having shipped it across the country twice.  I changed coasts a while back.  That passed for "breaking news" back then, now RS is just a suck-rag with no value.  I don't read it.  We got the net now with "The All Powerful" knowledge and scope.  And Youtub and right here at Smiley Smile dot.  Also saw your reply to Stephen Desper, that was ballsy.  But, you have the right I guess, he's now a fan like the rest of us.  But, I don't want to run him away from this board, and I have seen him challenged before on a Monterey Pop Festival thread, and he got mad!  I personally love what he has given music - He was there when Brian was "Rockin' from the Bedroom" - swd helped on one of my (and I bet your) most treasured periods of the Beach Boys, and let's not forget Spring.  He is one of the Greats in Music.  I love the way he starts all his posts by first posting the word, comment: Cool Drum  Okay, let me go, this is my second post this morning, and I've still got to write Bubbly.                               See you on the boards,  Will   

feelsflow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2013, 08:14:21 AM »

Hello and welcome!

It's always great to have people around who were actually there when it happened.

I look forward to what you have to say  Smiley
   Hey Bubbly,  thanks for the kind words.  And for dropping by my welcome.  You are a very busy poster!  I commented, to bluesno1fann, that we joined at around the same time, and I remember when you were the newest poster listed, because I was checking everyday to see when I would get my okay to start posting...it took me a month to get signed up!  I checked some of your posts this morning, and saw your comment on The Kinks, you really should try more of there stuff, go beyond 65-71, they were great to the end.  And Ray still is, do check his solo releases, on Youtub if nothing else, to see what you might like.  You will not be seeing them back again, Ray, unlike The Who, will not "just use the name to sell tickets.  How can it be the Who, when all you got is the guitarist and the singer, some players can't be just replaced (ask The Stones) - call it something else, the real fans will know.  Oh, who do we know that's doing that? LOL I always respected what Zep did when faced with losing a member.  They Stopped.  mini-rant over...back to the Kinks...  The very next one should be Face to Face Deluxe version.  This is one from the period you speak of, 1966.  And, also one that has Nicky Hopkins on keys!  He was with them for awhile.  One of the very best, and a cat that everybody from the Stones to Jeff Beck wanted at their sessions. He came to work in America in the late 60's - with among others, Steve Miller, Quicksilver and the Airplane.  "Session Man" is about Nicky.  Read that book about him from a couple of years ago, and you will see what I mean.  All the news that will fit this morning.  I'm on my third thank you, and it's taken me two hours...I want to go check the board.  Take care out there,           Will

feelsflow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2013, 03:05:49 PM »

Well the party has already started here.  Slippin' away to do this, will be too busy tomorrow...  Went from Mellow Yellow to Waiting for the Sun.  "I see you live on Love Street"... Tried to post this hours ago, but got tripped up by the black-out, what was with that, I want my world in color.
In color, my new post toy...

I would like to give a Big Happy New Year shout-out to everyone who has stopped by to welcome me in this thread...And to Everybody on this board.  Had a lot of fun so far.  Must say it's real different being a poster than just lurking, so all you Guests I see at the end of the members line - join in.  There are some very special people here to share with.  Not only to discuss "Our Band," but a wide range of subjects.  I used to mostly read the "old" threads, now I act and react.
Does this color look like champagne?  have to do.  Let's toast to the New Year brothers and sisters.
And remember, "The Only Way Out Is Through" >
« Last Edit: March 07, 2015, 08:00:19 AM by feelsflow » Logged

retrokid67
Smiley Smile Associate

Denny the Dream

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2013, 03:48:19 PM »

Hello welcome  Grin "Feels Flows" is a great song by the way  Smiley

"In this new day, change your heart.  Forgive your brother, for life is precious."

-Dennis Wilson
feelsflow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2014, 08:57:50 AM »

Hey Jess,  Haven't been over on my page this year much.  Thanks for dropping by my Welcome.  Looks like you are getting your footing around here.
When I was creating my "user name" I wanted it to say something about Brian's "feels."  So, feels flowing from his head.  Jack's lyrics are most certainly not what I was trying to convey.  You know what that song is about, right?  But you are right, it's a great song.  There's a thread around here where Jack tells all. 
Hope you continue to have a good time here.  I am.      peace,  Will

feelsflow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2014, 03:10:23 PM »

it's tonight and the party has begun.

Happy New Year to every one of you.

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2015, 07:53:15 AM »

it's tonight and the party has begun.

Happy New Year to every one of you.
Happy New Year to you, Will. :=)

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2015, 09:17:52 AM »

feelsflow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 03, 2015, 05:09:38 PM »

Thanks John.  Just got back from my favorite Mexican place, Gaby's in Rhinebeck.  I'm stuffed.  Had  Cheese Chiles Rellenos and all the guacamole and chips I could hold.  That picture of the cake will have to do for today.  I had strawberries and cream for desert tonight.  Easter Sunday will be my cake day.  But that is a very nice picture you made.

We're going to watch the last part of the Hobbit trilogy tonight, The Battle of the Five Armies.  Watched part two again last night to refresh the brain cells.  Can't understand how Peter Jackson thought it was a good idea to split a one-hundred and fifty page book into three movies, but he did.

...and off we go.  Crank up the big screen!

Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 03, 2015, 06:44:32 PM »

Happy Birthday, Will!   Grin

gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx