gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 04:03:43 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Rate Made In California

Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Made In California  (Read 29570 times)
MBE
« Reply #25 on: September 23, 2013, 11:58:42 AM »

It isn't perfect, YLTLF is an atrocity, BUT it is fantastic.

I think a vinyl version would complete the experience for me, but this is a great set on any format. There are great songs and moments missed, but the whole story is there in a cogent fashion. Pretty brilliant.
bluesno1fann
« Reply #26 on: September 23, 2013, 06:22:59 PM »

What is so bad about "YLTLF"?!
I've heard both the bootleg and the MIC version. I enjoy both!
Enough with hate...
MBE
« Reply #27 on: September 24, 2013, 11:06:06 AM »

What is so bad about "YLTLF"?!
I've heard both the bootleg and the MIC version. I enjoy both!
Enough with hate...
Not that it is "bad" to hear as a piece of music. Just Brian's demo doesn't hint at that direction so it seems off somehow. Unless Brian himself did the mix for the box, it doesn't feel like his work.
scooby1970
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: November 03, 2013, 08:15:36 AM »

A full five stars from me, absolutely love everything about it. The unreleased tracks are stunning, the new mixes awesome and the entire package is gob-smacking. Love it!

Smiley Mark

Long time Beach Boys fan and collector. Long time forum browser.
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #29 on: November 13, 2013, 11:45:40 AM »

So.... any word on how it's being selling yet??
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 02, 2013, 10:11:28 PM »

I wish the tracks on disc 6 and the live stuff on disc 5 had been integrated into the set as a whole. The book is nothing special. And what happened to the 80's Beach Boys? They should've included Where I Belong and Somewhere Near Japan, if nothing else. What really made this set for me was the Dennis stuff.
Mr. Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

Surfs up around these parts.!

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 01, 2014, 10:24:08 PM »

5 /5  Another essential desert island  disc set that I cant be without,, Glorious sound  and so much to love.. Not perfect but close.. Nice to see DW well represented and the live tracks are glorious..  Why the BB sit on live shows is crazy.. LOTS of people have this stuff for sale and actually have it online to listen to or buy.. I figure the reason why is they think they need to fix the vocals.. Well Carl + Dennis are gone and ive seen some live shows on you tube were things weren't perfect and they are still there..  The core audience that wants this stuff  is dying away.. They should have started 10 years ago.. The Grateful Dead make a living off their live catalogue BB can to..
« Last Edit: March 04, 2014, 10:16:38 AM by Mr. Wilson » Logged
slippingonthrough
Smiley Smile Associate

Male eagle walking down the street....

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 20, 2014, 11:50:46 PM »

No doubting that all of this music (well except SIP live) is great. Although I had a lot of quality issues with my discs and I had to re-rip some of my tracks again. The book is great though.

I just wished these tracks were on there:
We Got Love (Studio Version)
Big Sur (Sunflower Version)
You Need A Mess Of Help To Stand Alone (Live Version if one exists)
Aren't You Glad (Stereo version would be nice)

5/5
KDS
« Reply #33 on: May 20, 2015, 09:34:54 AM »

This one was difficult to rate.  If I'm going by music and sound, I'd give it a five. 

If I'm going by packaging, a 3.5.  The book glosses over much of the last 40 years.  The photos are nice.  The credits (maybe this was done in 2012) seem to imply that Brian, Al, and David are current members of The Beach Boys.  Plus, I would've liked more protection for the CDs.  They're very easy to scratch taking them out of the cardboard sleeves. 

Now, for the content itself.  Let me say that if you owned absolutely nothing by The Beach Boys, then this would be an essential purchase.  But, since I own, all the studio and live albums, as well as the GV and Smile Sessions box, I already have much of this collection.  With the high retail price, this smells like a cash grab to me. 

These box sets are not designed for casual fans, but for diehards.  And the labels know that diehards will gladly pay for some such sought after rarities.  Knowing that these box sets are not for the casual fan, why not remove the greatest hits / album tracks that pad the collection, and just include the rarities?   

The songs themselves are great, especially some of the rarities.  But, the fact that I needed to spend a lot of money to get another copy of Fun, Fun, Fun in my collection is a bit much. 

And to top it off, between GV and MIC, everything's still not included.  Which makes me believe that, one day, we'll have to shell out another C-note for a third box set with different rarities, padded by the greatest hits yet again. 

That's the funny thing about the music business.  The music is wonderful, but the business sucks. 
NateRuvin
Smiley Smile Associate

"I had to prove that I could make it alone"...

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 28, 2015, 01:21:48 PM »

As far as these extensive box sets go, this is the best BBs one I've heard.
We could go on forever and ever on which is better this or the one from '93.
I think this one is superior because it has a lot of rarities and live cuts I've always wanted to hear, and with all the stereo mixes and remasters, it sounds beautiful. I really wanted to have All I Wanna Do and Big Sur (4/4) on here, but I am definitely satisfied with this track listing.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 28, 2015, 01:24:42 PM »

As far as these extensive box sets go, this is the best BBs one I've heard.
We could go on forever and ever on which is better this or the one from '93.
I think this one is superior because it has a lot of rarities and live cuts I've always wanted to hear, and with all the stereo mixes and remasters, it sounds beautiful. I really wanted to have All I Wanna Do and Big Sur (4/4) on here, but I am definitely satisfied with this track listing.
We felt that way back in 1993 too, especially hearing those Smile tracks. oooh, so clean. Wink

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
You Kane, You Commanded, You Conquered
Smiley Smile Associate

spoons rattling

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 27, 2016, 07:27:32 PM »

Contains the only decent peformance of a SIP so its got that going for it.  Some of the new mixes are great (SPS, IABD), others not so much (BB, YLTLF). And goddammit where is All I Wanna Do?!

"Oh! Don't beat on those sticks!"
Smiley Smile Associate

spoons rattling

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 27, 2016, 08:18:53 PM »

Speaking of live tracks, Mike's stage banter in these 60's and 70's concerts is terribly cringeworthy, like he couldn't resist the chance to say something, but then realized what he said added absolutely nothing.

Douchepool
Smiley Smile Associate

Time to make the chimifuckingchangas.

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 27, 2016, 08:21:28 PM »

The best Mike comment ever uttered onstage was "if you're going to fight, go to Madison Square Garden and get paid for it," in response to Carl responding negatively to a fight that broke out in the crowd during a March 1972 show at St. John's University in Jamaica, NY. BEST. MIKE. COMMENT. EVER.

The Artist Formerly Known as Deadpool. You may refer to me as such, or as Mr. Pool.

This is also Mr. Pool's Naughty List. Don't end up on here. It will be updated.
Smiley Smile Associate

spoons rattling

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 27, 2016, 08:24:29 PM »

The best Mike comment ever uttered onstage was "if you're going to fight, go to Madison Square Garden and get paid for it," in response to Carl responding negatively to a fight that broke out in the crowd during a March 1972 show at St. John's University in Jamaica, NY. BEST. MIKE. COMMENT. EVER.
That's actually pretty funny, congrats Mike, you get a sticker!  Wink 2

Douchepool
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 27, 2016, 08:26:10 PM »

The positivity just oozes from Michael's ZZ Top beard.

The Artist Formerly Known as Deadpool. You may refer to me as such, or as Mr. Pool.

Smiley Smile Associate

spoons rattling

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 27, 2016, 08:29:34 PM »

The positivity just oozes from Michael's ZZ Top beard.

Don't want to know what oozes from Bruce's stache...

Douchepool
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 27, 2016, 08:31:20 PM »

The same ooze that permeated Going Public, probably.

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 27, 2016, 09:41:46 PM »

I think Mike's best onstage moment was when he said "that joke left a bad taste in my mouth"(slightly paraphrased) after Dennis's Nixon joke. I can't remember exactly what show it was, but it was from 1973.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: May 28, 2016, 12:21:06 AM »

Outstanding boxset. The use of really badly done melodyne was a stupid decision and I can't even imagine how they could've thought it was a good idea to keep it in. I would have loved some more rarities. But all in all, it does the band a lot of justice and I love all the new stereo mixes, remasters, and most of all the rarities.

4.899934562816/5.

Melodyne? What's that?

Sorry, should of made that more clear. It's like a more versatile and more widely-used Auto-tune.

Outstanding boxset. The use of really badly done melodyne was a stupid decision and I can't even imagine how they could've thought it was a good idea to keep it in. I would have loved some more rarities. But all in all, it does the band a lot of justice and I love all the new stereo mixes, remasters, and most of all the rarities.

4.899934562816/5.

Melodyne? What's that?

I believe he's talking about the program that can change pitch, notes, tempo of a song, etc.

Zach, where are you hearing this used on here?
As another Zach, I'll hop on this. Listen to 1:04-1:09 in Sherry She Needs Me and you'll see.
You'll all see...

Yep, and on the 2nd verse, "Sherry don't" sounds robotic, "hate her" sounds garbled. As well, on the line "and maybe you wanna make friends with her some day", "wanna make" sounds robotic, and "with" seems to not fall down to as low a pitch as on the boot. I listened to the boot and the MIC version side-by-side and there is a definite difference.  There are probably other spots, too. They didn't even correct the worst pitch problems, they just messed with the sections that were fine. But honestly, after re-listening to the song on MIC, my initial post was quite exaggerated and it doesn't even bother me that much. I seem to remember it being worse than it really is.

Yes, I'm responding to a post several years old...

A compilation I made once ended up making the rounds online. One of the tracks was a mashup of the different Sherry versions. It sounded very close to the version on MIC....very, VERY close to it....right down to the part mentioned here. The exact same spot. Definitely gives me pause for thought.

If it was indeed my version, then it was Antares Auto-Tune used. I may even still have the preset saved....

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 28, 2016, 12:42:32 AM »

4.899934562816/5.

Melodyne? What's that?

Sorry, should of made that more clear. It's like a more versatile and more widely-used Auto-tune.

4.899934562816/5.

Melodyne? What's that?

I believe he's talking about the program that can change pitch, notes, tempo of a song, etc.

Zach, where are you hearing this used on here?
As another Zach, I'll hop on this. Listen to 1:04-1:09 in Sherry She Needs Me and you'll see.
You'll all see...

Yep, and on the 2nd verse, "Sherry don't" sounds robotic, "hate her" sounds garbled. As well, on the line "and maybe you wanna make friends with her some day", "wanna make" sounds robotic, and "with" seems to not fall down to as low a pitch as on the boot. I listened to the boot and the MIC version side-by-side and there is a definite difference.  There are probably other spots, too. They didn't even correct the worst pitch problems, they just messed with the sections that were fine. But honestly, after re-listening to the song on MIC, my initial post was quite exaggerated and it doesn't even bother me that much. I seem to remember it being worse than it really is.

Yes, I'm responding to a post several years old...

A compilation I made once ended up making the rounds online. One of the tracks was a mashup of the different Sherry versions. It sounded very close to the version on MIC....very, VERY close to it....right down to the part mentioned here. The exact same spot. Definitely gives me pause for thought.

If it was indeed my version, then it was Antares Auto-Tune used. I may even still have the preset saved....

Cheesy That's a great story, Billy!  Resonates even more as I recall (and if I'm wrong, let me know) a few people chipped in get you a copy of MIC given the funds weren't too cool for you at the time.  Not sure who those kind souls were, but interesting that something you put there may have been returned!

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: May 28, 2016, 01:20:20 AM »

Yes...that meant and continues to mean so much to me.  And yeah, when I was listening, I did a doubletake!

To me, by far the best compilation on the market. Only real complaints were some of the aforementioned  remixes, especially Sail Plane Song and the live Wild Honey, and the inclusion of Why Don't they let us fall in love and Da Doo Ron Ron. But the sheer amount of rarities, including stuff I had no idea existed, just makes it an absolute treasure.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 28, 2016, 01:37:38 AM »

That version of "Why Don't They Let Us Fall In Love" is so off key and/or out of tune(and shouty af), it makes me wonder how they could have let it slip out.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: May 28, 2016, 02:24:23 AM »

I actually really dig Rock and Roll Music, as it is on MiC.

Douchepool
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 28, 2016, 06:24:44 AM »

It's good that the extra verse finally got a release.

gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx