gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680724 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 16, 2024, 08:28:31 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: BW Surf's Up solo piano Q...  (Read 16327 times)
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2006, 06:17:29 PM »

Brother John, I'm with you. I also think that Carl turned in the best set of vocals on the first part of "Surf's Up." By chance perhaps, but he did such an expressive -- and sensual -- version of the song in a way that no one else could. It's by far my favorite version of SU.
Glenn Greenberg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 07, 2006, 08:39:55 AM »

To me, Carl is just performing the song.  Performing it VERY VERY well, mind you, but just performing it.

In Brian's version, there's a real, deep emotional connection to the material that comes through very clearly in the performance--a connection that couldn't possibly exist in the Carl version, because Carl didn't conceive, develop, and write the song. It's not his "baby." if you know what I mean.

I really like the 1971 Carl-sung version.

But I LOVE the Anne Wallace Brian-sung version.

Glenn
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 07, 2006, 08:53:53 AM »

To me, Carl is just performing the song.  Performing it VERY VERY well, mind you, but just performing it.

I agree. He hits the notes, no doubt about it, but Brian's slightly out of tune (at times), strained, rougher version makes the music come alive. Carl's, to me, is too...sterile? That might be the wrong word. It's very correct, and that might not be the way the song comes across best.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Arthur Slake
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 08, 2006, 07:57:52 AM »

If I remember correctly, Alan Boyd posted on the old Smiley Smile Board that it still exists and sounds very good.
If Mr. Desper is checking this thread - Mr. Desper, how difficult was it to to synchronize the Brian piano demo to the Part One tracks? Was it ever a serious option or had Carl planned to do the part and you were just experimenting, etc.?
Thanks,
Arthur 
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx